An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

12th of June, 1526.
Valladolid, Castile. 12th of June, 1526.

“Your Majesty,” said Lina de Alba, “The English ambassador wishes to speak to you.”

Anne lowered her Book of Hours, one hand clutching her ruby rosary. She looked at her mother in alarm, Lady Elizabeth sitting beside her with her own religious tome in her hands. She wondered if something had happened in England, maybe her uncle had died and her little cousin Hank was now the new Duke of Norfolk.

“Send him in,” she said. Her mother stood up slowly, setting her Book of Hours and her rosary aside, but Anne raised her hand to stop her. “Stay, mother. Please.”

She nodded and Anne looked back at Lina, tilting her chin up to indicate she should open the door. Her lady-in-waiting hesitated before nodding resolutely, making a curtsy and taking care not to show her back as she moved to let Thomas Wyatt in.

“Your Majesty,” said the Ambassador when he entered, bowing with a flourish. Anne smiled and offered him her hand, watching as he pressed a kiss to her knuckles. He turned slightly, acknowledging her mother with a small nod from his head. “My lady.”

“Master Wyatt,” said Lady Elizabeth. “How have you been? It’s been so long since we last spoke. And your father is well, I hope?”

“He is well, my lady, as am I,” answered Thomas with a smile. “He was still in Scotland when I left England, but I believe he has already returned to England. My sister is soon to make her debut at court and he would never let her do it without fatherly guidance.”

“Of course, not,” said Lady Elizabeth. She looked at Anne then, blue eyes passing a message without her needing to say a word, and Anne cleared her throat, dragging Thomas’ attention back to her.

“Is something wrong, Master Wyatt?” she asked. “Normally, I don’t meet foreign ambassadors in such… familiar settings.”

“Am I foreign, Anne?” he asked in English and Anne settled back against her chest, surprised by his boldness. Her eyes met her mother’s and she saw her face reflected in the mirror that was behind Lady Elizabeth, cheeks flushed and mouth slightly parted in shock. “We were friends once. When you were still an English noblewoman, there was the possibility that you might be mine.”

“And I shall never forget it,” said Anne. “But I’m not an English noblewoman anymore. I’m the Queen of Castile and Aragon, the Holy Roman Empress and I belong to no one but Caesar.” She pointed to her badge embroidered in one of the room’s tapestries: a falcon midst flight, holding the stem of a pomegranate, her motto written in a gold thread right underneath.

He hesitated and she saw the slight twinge of light in his eyes go out, but he nodded, stepping back as he clasped his hands behind his back.

“Of course,” he said. “I’m just here to inform you that I have been reassigned.”

“Reassigned?” her mother asked. “Where to, Thomas?”

“Portugal,” said Master Wyatt. “King Henry wishes for me to arrange a betrothal of Prince John with the Infanta Manuela. With my success in Princess Mary’s engagement to the Duke of Brittany, I should not have much difficulty in it.”

“Of course,” said Anne. “A splendid match. I know my husband’s niece will be very happy in England, especially considering the current queen is her paternal aunt and also hails from Portugal.”

“Precisely,” said Thomas. He nodded to her once. “Goodbye, Your Majesty.”

“Goodbye, Tommy,” said Anne.

Wait, so Anna is also having an affair with George? So all three people in this mess love each other? I hope that her children are really Ferdinand’s! All so scandalous!

“Am I foreign, Anne?” he asked in English and Anne settled back against her chest, surprised by his boldness. Her eyes met her mother’s and she saw her face reflected in the mirror that was behind Lady Elizabeth, cheeks flushed and mouth slightly parted in shock. “We were friends once. When you were still an English noblewoman, there was the possibility that you might be mine.”
Thomas is a serious idiot to say this out loud in Anne’s quarters when the walls have ears and everything will get back to Charles. The dude better count his lucky stars he’s getting shipped off to Portugal. Wonder if Leonor will give him an easy time getting her daughter’s hand for John.

Wait, so Anna is also having an affair with George? So all three people in this mess love each other? I hope that her children are really Ferdinand’s! All so scandalous!
I think the author already said Anna isn't fucking George. I imagine its just feelings.

Oh, Thomas Wyatt, the silly fool should be grateful that Anne is not very vindictive here... A match between John and Manuela certainly has its advantages I'll say....

In so far, Anna and George have not yet done 'it' and also, I don't think I will have a false paternity child in this story. At least, I haven't made any decisions about it until now. Although both Liesl and unborn baby are 100% Ferdinand's.

Yes, Thomas, great idea. Walk into the Queen of Spain's apartments and say that she should have been yours. That will in no way backfire on you and possibly lead to the wrath of the most powerful man in Europe coming down on your head like a ton of bricks.

Yes, Thomas, great idea. Walk into the Queen of Spain's apartments and say that she should have been yours. That will in no way backfire on you and possibly lead to the wrath of the most powerful man in Europe coming down on your head like a ton of bricks.
Hey, he's not exactly known as the most intelligent man in the world, alright? Give the man a break.