"An Exchange of Lions for Swans" A 1300s Plantagenet-De Bohun TL

EXTRA; Question Day (Monday, 28/09/2020)
While I try to get a chapter out every day (sometimes several a day, so what, shoot me) tomorrow will be different. I'm gonna use tomorrow to answer any questions you guys can think of in regards to the TL! fire away gentlemen.

What is the compassion of the English army's do they have Longbows because the English army's of the 14 and 15 centuries where successful because of the wars in Scotland and Wales facilitated greater development of the English army a way from kinghts because England could not match the Franch cavalry. I believe England could get 6000 to 8000 Calvary at best and the Franch could muster between 10,000 and 15,000 knights. I also believe the Franch could Field an army of 50,000 and the English crown could Field an army of 30,000 to 35,000 but armys over 15,000 English never left the British isles. I can not see Philip IV of France or Phillip V of France letting the English crown expand its land into France for long I can see Philip IV or one of his success going to war for thoes land in the future but not after a war which would have damaged the Franch crowns finances. I can see the English crown in good shape after the war in France could see Elizabeth looking at going to war with Scotland in a few years . Wish you luck stay safe.

I’m not too sure that Louis of Navarre could be reasonably stripped of his his right of succession to the French crown as not even the person in question could renounce his right to the throne under French law.

I’m not too sure that Louis of Navarre could be reasonably stripped of his his right of succession to the French crown as not even the person in question could renounce his right to the throne under French law.
Louis le Hutin's death does solve things.
Since he died without a son, exhuming the Salic Law ensures that it is Philippe of Poitiers that will succeed his father, and not Philippe's granddaughter.
What is the compassion of the English army's do they have Longbows because the English army's of the 14 and 15 centuries where successful because of the wars in Scotland and Wales facilitated greater development of the English army a way from kinghts because England could not match the Franch cavalry. I believe England could get 6000 to 8000 Calvary at best and the Franch could muster between 10,000 and 15,000 knights. I also believe the Franch could Field an army of 50,000 and the English crown could Field an army of 30,000 to 35,000 but armys over 15,000 English never left the British isles. I can not see Philip IV of France or Phillip V of France letting the English crown expand its land into France for long I can see Philip IV or one of his success going to war for thoes land in the future but not after a war which would have damaged the Franch crowns finances. I can see the English crown in good shape after the war in France could see Elizabeth looking at going to war with Scotland in a few years . Wish you luck stay safe.
The main issue of Philip IV's era was finding the money to fuel the growth of the French administration.
War with England, especially with an England in good shape, is a godsend, since it allows the French government to use taxation, which hitherto has precedent in the Flemish war, but only for acute needs of national defence. (IOTL, after the Battle of Cambrai)
Also, France has... discipline issues with its knights, to say the least. Charging through or on top of your own crossbowmen is not a good tactic, as was proved by both Crécy and Azincourt.

The English still favour the longbow as they have done since the 1250s, and yes Phillipe Wouldn't let the English expand greatly, hence the giving of Foix and Bearn to Humphrey de Bohun, rather than a more coastally reachable County. and lastly, yes. England is in a much better position than OTL, with the War in Scotland and its expenditure ended.

Louis "X of France" and I of Navarre didnt get passed over. He was killed in Battle, so Phillipe le Long is now heir to France, while Phillipe IV allowed Theophania, daughter of Louis, to remain Queen of Navarre as her fathers heiress.

I'm not sure why Humphrey is just accepting that he's 'only' a consort, he'll push for maximum control over the state IMO.

@The_Last_Plantagenet
He will be pushing that any way as husband of his wife. Plenty of nobles jure uxoris had control over their wife's domain. Just because male consorts today have no legal right to, most make consorts then did until she died or otherwise her son came of age.

He will be pushing that any way as husband of his wife. Plenty of nobles jure uxoris had control over their wife's domain. Just because male consorts today have no legal right to, most make consorts then did until she died or otherwise her son came of age.
I meant as in just......accepting himself as consort.
He'll try and get himself to be made co monarch IMO

I meant as in just......accepting himself as consort.
He'll try and get himself to be made co monarch IMO
But by the standards of the day he would have been co-monarch anyway if not regnant simply because he was her husband. Iirc heiresses only tended to keep dominance based on personality.

But by the standards of the day he would have been co-monarch anyway if not regnant simply because he was her husband. Iirc heiresses only tended to keep dominance based on personality.
Just thought that it was weird that a person would go as far as to call himself "Rex Anglia jure uxoris" at a time when males dominated......

Chapter 14; A Brothers Heir
It would be the Spring of 1309, when a man of ill-repute and poor standing would return to the Palace of Westminster; Piers de Gaveston, the favourite of Edward, the deceased Prince of Wales. De Gaveston stated that Edward had promised him a healthy annuity, and the County of Ponthieu upon the death of his father, and lastly that Edward had made further promises of recognising Piers as his sole Heir, and he argued that the Queen; Elizabeth of England, should uphold her brothers wishes and grant these upon himself. Perhaps unsurprisingly, She did not and he was arrested.

For the next thirteen months, Piers de Gaveston was imprisoned in the Tower of London. During his captivity, He would relate great details of where he had been in the past three years sincce the death of Edward, such as a Pilgrimage to Rome itself, and travelling through the Moorish Kingdoms of Iberia. After some two months of incarceration, an official notice of excommunication arrived, with the seal of the Archbishop of Canterbury affixed.
In the May of 1310, the day would arrive, and after being taken to the banks of the Thames river, Piers de Gaveston was executed, and his body cast downstream.

Chapter 15: Et alibi per Europam
While the Anglo-Scots War came to an end, and the French Capetians had their own war, the remainder of Europe was not silent.

In Hungary, the death of Charles Robert in the Great Famine had put an end to the fragmented Hungarian Kingdom, as almost all of those.lords who had supported Charles Roberg shifted their allegiance to Béla V of Hungary, otherwise known as Otto III of Bavaria. For much of 1309, He would seek to mend those rifts in the Kimgdom, particularly those between thd crown and the powerful Magnate families of the East. As 1310 dawned upon the World, Béla V could count the houses of Csák, the Kán, and the Aba as some of his most fervent supporters.

As War engulfed the Kingdom of France, A large baggage train would be seen travelling east and south, eventually leaving the Kimgdom entirely as the first true Battles between the Supporters of Phillipe IV and those of Louis X began. This was none other than Clement V and the Papal court leaving Poitiers, where they had been since 1305. The wars between the Guelph and the Ghibellines made much of Northern Italy an unsuitable site, as was Rome with the Lateran Basilica having been burnt to the ground. The Papal Baggage train would eventually come to rest in Nice, nominally part of the County of Provence, and would be granted refuge by the Count; Charles II of Naples.

As Waldemar of Brandenburg would invade Pomerelia, and capture the fort of Gdaǹsk, The Polish would call upon the Teutonic Knights to assist them, and a force of some one hundred Knights led by Lothar of Brunswick would be the reply. It was an unmitigated disaster, with the Teutonic attack failing, and Lothar of Brunswick being shot down by a bolt as he fled. Władysław Łokietek would later lead a much greater Polish army and would capture the port and put the Brandenburg soldiers to the sword, leaving the city in Polish Hands.

Chapter 16: Algeciras, where my heart shall rest
The Iberian Christian Kingdoms had always been at war, not always with one another, but always with the Moor; the Reconquista. It would be at the ancient city of Algeciras, or al-Djazirat as the Moors called it, where the King of Castile attempted to capture and make good the campaigns to finally end the Moorish Kingdom of Granada, as capturing the port would allow the Castilians to cut off the Granadans from aid or supply from across the straits to the south.

The Siege of the city began in November, 1309, where the massive Castilian Army would immediately begin the construction of siege engines, and the first failure would occur on the 21st of November when a poorly constructed trebuchet would give way, its ropes giving way, and sending its payload to its immediate rear rather than the distant walls of Algeiras, and in the event, killing numerous men including the eldest brother of the King; Infante Peter of Castile.

With the loss of his brother, Ferdinand IV of Castile resolved that his brothers death would not be in vain, amd no retreat would take place. As the Siege dragged into January of 1310, Ferdinand would bring his allies in the Orders of Calatrava and Santiago to the Siege, hoping to crush the moors through sheer weight of numbers, however as the weeks of the Siege drew into long months, there was no end in site.

The fateful day of the 4th of February was when Ferdinand IV of Castile would lead an assault of some three thousand men upon the northern walls of Algeciras, and as he gave a stirring speach to the gathered soldiery, an arrow did fly true from the walls, and struck Ferdinand in the upper back, and the twenty five year old King of Castile would collapse on to the sandy ground. Watching the death of their king, the Castilian army came apart, and it was less a retreat and moee a confused mass fleeing for their lives. When the news travelled North, it became apparent to the cortes that the new king; the eighteen year old Felipe I of Castile, would have to avenge the death of two of his brothers.

Chapter 17: The Winter of her Joy
In early 1310, the Royal Court of England was happy to announce once again the pregnancy of Queen Elizabeth, and across the kingdom, many believed a fourth son would be born, amd it rumoured that in some taverns and inns, gamblers would place bets upon the Gender and name of the new royal. As August brought on the early autumnal wind, it also brought forward her Majesties contractions, and on the 26th, the day after her husband did return from Foix and Bearn, she did go into Labour.

Firstly, a Daughter was born, and named Joan of England. She was said to be small but lively, and the queen and her husband was most pleased, but the act was not done. Minutes later, a second child did appear, stillborn. An overly large boy, He has given the name of Alexander for the saint of the day. He was posthumously baptised, and the funeral was an awful affair.

While Humphrey, King-Consort of England, would present Princess Joan to the English Parliament, Elizabeth was nowhere to be seen, and had entered a deep melancholy. She withdrew, and when required, Humphrey would take her place and represent her at court or Parliament, and her majesty refused to deal in any matter of state, requiring Humphrey to deal with all, and it was on the 2nd of January 1311, when he would sign an act into being without acting on the behalf of Elizabeth, and would sign it simply; Rex Angliae.

Well, that might cause problems.
As King Consort he's automatically her lieutenant and can act in her stead when she's incapacitated or elsewhere etc. Claiming himself full King though could be accounted as treason.

Chapter 18: An issue unto its own
As the conflict in France ended, a condition of English assistance had been the granting of the County of Foix and its attached lands and titles to Humphrey of England, a condition which while accepted by Phillipe IV, was not accepted by Bernard VI, Count of Armagnac. The reason for this disapproval was that Humphrey requested the Viscounty of Béarn, one of the titles and properties associated with Foix, but a title claimed by Bernard VI in his right as grandson of Gaston VII, the last independent Viscount of Béarn.

When Phillipe IV granted the land and titles to Humphrey, Bernard VI was said to be incensed, but dare not risk the still present English Army occupying his lands in retaliation. It would be in September of 1310, after Humphrey and the English army had returned to England, that Bernard VI did send a letter of protest to Phillipe IV stating that despite his support during the recent conflict, the King had retroactively recognised the Foix claim by giving the land as a whole. He also announced his intent to seize Béarn and his wish for royal support as he had supported his king. Phillipe IV did not want to make an enemy of Humphrey, and so, informed Humphrey of the intents of the Count of Armagnac.

In January 1311, Bernard of Armagnac marched his army of over a thousand men to Béarn, and after a notable battle at Orthez, he managed to capture the Viscounty of Béarn. It was a mere seven days after the Battle of Orthez when Humphrey of England would land at Bayonne with a paltry of a hundred English knights. However, It was in Bayonne where Humphrey met his allies; the Soldiery of Gascony and Foix. Gathering a force of some nineteen hundred men, Humphrey and his army marched once more, into Béarn. On the 30th of January, the Second Battle of Orthez took place, and Bernard VI was forced to flee back to Armagnac. After receiving a letter from Phillipe IV, Humphrey chose not to pursue Bernard but rather demanded a renunciation of his claim, and on the 12th of February, Bernard did agree so.
With peace restored, Humphrey would bring his young son; Alphonsus John of England, to Foix, and named him as Governor in his absence. of course, this was purely nominal and instead the Abbot of Saint-Volusien was the young boys tutor and Guardian in his fathers absence.

EXTRA; Heads of State (1311)
I will be using this post to name some monarchs and their heirs. if they are unmentioned, presume they remain as OTL.
If you have any questions, as per usual, fire away!

• England;
    • Elizabeth I, Queen of England, Lady of Ireland, Duchess of Gascony, and Countess of Aumale and Ponthieu.
    • Heir: Humphrey Edward, Prince of Wales
  • Foix and Béarn;
    • Humphrey de Bohun, King-Consort of England, Count of Foix, and Viscount of Béarn
    • Heir: Humphrey Edward, Prince of Wales
  • France;
    • Phillipe IV, King of France
    • Heir; Phillipe, Count of Poitiers and Burgundy
  • Navarre;
    • Theophania, Queen of Navarre
    • Heir; Phillipe, Count of Poitiers and Burgundy
  • Castile-Leon;
    • Felipe I, King of Castile, Leon, and Galicia
    • Heir; Infanta Isabella of Castile
  • Portugal;
    • Martin I, King of Portugal and the Algarve