An Examination of Extra-Universal Systems of Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I don't know why we even bother with political parties when we can just have multiple people unaffiliated with nobody campaign to be president. At most it's "So and so is the left wing candidate"

Does the Russian State control all of the former Russian Empire's territories or not?

Also, how deep does the relationship between Wayland and Antonova go?
  1. The Russian State's borders are more or less the 1922/pre-World War 2 borders of the Soviet Union owing to how the Eastern Front of the Second Weltkrieg ended in a stalemate/peace of mutual exhaustion.
  2. Well, they're pretty close friends.

Since the Second Weltkreig appears to be a Kaiserreich vs Russian Pact, would the Entente and the Second Internationale be around? Or given the stronger Entente means the return of the United Kingdom and the fall of syndicalism?

Since the Second Weltkreig appears to be a Kaiserreich vs Russian Pact, would the Entente and the Second Internationale be around? Or given the stronger Entente means the return of the United Kingdom and the fall of syndicalism?
Well, the Second Weltkrieg was a victory for the Kaiserreich in the Western Front with the Third Internationale destroyed. However, the SPD-led German Empire and the increasingly right-wing and authoritarian Entente couldn't agree on what post-Syndicalist Britain and France should look like with Germany turning their occupation zone in Britain into a Republic of Great Britain led by a coalition of Labour and left-Liberals and installing Victoria Louise as Queen in their occupation zone in France after attempts at ironing out a compromise on the fate of these two countries failed and the rest is history.

Anyways, any questions regarding the wider world, folks?

Yes, please PM me everything I need to make a cover. :p

Idea: a country where the Chief Executive, and possibly the legislature, are all picked by lottery. I’m thinking a North African Roman successor state, where the system started out as augury (to prevent the constant power struggles, let the gods decide), which later became a national lottery involving every eligible citizen. There are limits to eligibility (age is one), to prevent toddlers, the clinically insane, and convicts from becoming Chief Executive. Every eligible citizen must register, and they must serve out their term; this is to prevent situations like the one day when fifty Chief Executives were selected and subsequently resigned.

How does this all work out? Well, what happened is that an entrenched political elite of perpetual civil servants, lobbyists, influence mongers, and other (for lack of a better term) swamp creatures have arisen and prey on the inevitably-out of their element chief executive/legislators. Most Chief Executives are normal people who just keep the old bureaucracy in place, rubber stamp laws and regulations, and do whatever else the “experts” tell them. Some have done weird things in pursuit of personal interests, like one using his bully pulpit to demand story changes to a popular science fiction series, or another using the intelligence services to harass her ex. They’re allowed this by the bureaucracy in exchange for the bureaucracy being allowed to do what it pleases. Reformers tend to be intimidated or bribed into stepping in line.

Deleted member 94708

Yes, please PM me everything I need to make a cover. :p

Idea: a country where the Chief Executive, and possibly the legislature, are all picked by lottery. I’m thinking a North African Roman successor state, where the system started out as augury (to prevent the constant power struggles, let the gods decide), which later became a national lottery involving every eligible citizen. There are limits to eligibility (age is one), to prevent toddlers, the clinically insane, and convicts from becoming Chief Executive. Every eligible citizen must register, and they must serve out their term; this is to prevent situations like the one day when fifty Chief Executives were selected and subsequently resigned.

How does this all work out? Well, what happened is that an entrenched political elite of perpetual civil servants, lobbyists, influence mongers, and other (for lack of a better term) swamp creatures have arisen and prey on the inevitably-out of their element chief executive/legislators. Most Chief Executives are normal people who just keep the old bureaucracy in place, rubber stamp laws and regulations, and do whatever else the “experts” tell them. Some have done weird things in pursuit of personal interests, like one using his bully pulpit to demand story changes to a popular science fiction series, or another using the intelligence services to harass her ex. They’re allowed this by the bureaucracy in exchange for the bureaucracy being allowed to do what it pleases. Reformers tend to be intimidated or bribed into stepping in line.
Aside from the fact that we filter in favor of sociopaths by forcing them to wade through an electoral process from hell to get to power, this is basically OTL in the US.

Bunch of ill-informed idiots guided by a permanent bureaucracy and similarly permanent ideologue-ocracy in the form of the grand think-tank/lobbyist complex. This is what we get for having 380 safe House districts where the real election is the primary between an ideologue and a long “serving” party hack.

There are limits to eligibility (age is one), to prevent toddlers
That reminds me: The Infantocracy, where all politicians and government employees must be 11 years old or younger! And before anyone else makes the obvious joke, no, immature adults do not count. Their actual, chronological age must be under 12, and as soon as they turn 12, they must step down or be immediately ousted. Has anyone done an episode on this before?

That reminds me: The Infantocracy, where all politicians and government employees must be 11 years old or younger! And before anyone else makes the obvious joke, no, immature adults do not count. Their actual, chronological age must be under 12, and as soon as they turn 12, they must step down or be immediately ousted. Has anyone done an episode on this before?

I’m not sure such a government would last long without a group of adults running the show behind the scenes.

I’m not sure such a government would last long without a group of adults running the show behind the scenes.
"After the revolution, the adults and teenagers were sent to toil in the factories, making legos and ice cream day and night. It was here that they quietly plotted their revenge."

"After the revolution, the adults and teenagers were sent to toil in the factories, making legos and ice cream day and night. It was here that they quietly plotted their revenge."

Well, the simple fact remains that any state relies on force to enforce its will. Adults will defeat kids in any fight. Ergo, there have to be adults using the system for their own ends and thus enforcing it for their own ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.