An Examination of Extra-Universal Systems of Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, a Jockocracy would be more like the situation in the Revenge of the Nerds at the beginning, perhaps crossed with Hunger Games where the winner of the Games becomes the President for a Year and remains in the Senate for life.

A jockocracy sounds like it would be a born after overthrowing an insane technocratic government that was doing all sorts of inhumane things to build a "utopia." Something like brave new world or Earthly Paradise, or a Winter Night's Dream. Tales from the 27th century being the end result. So ideologically they'd highly value basic humanity in mind. Jockocracy is merely a colloquial phrase
My thoughts exactly.

I need clarification, did you interpret me saying a Jockocracy would lead to brave new world or that it would form in opposition to it?
The latter. The Jocks came to power as a result of widespread anger at the crimes of the previous regime, which was a dictatorship run by arrogant, elitist "intellectual" types.

To me, a Jockocracy would be more like the situation in the Revenge of the Nerds at the beginning, perhaps crossed with Hunger Games where the winner of the Games becomes the President for a Year and remains in the Senate for life.
They certainly have a fondness for sports, but the Jockocracy would not condone sports centered around murder. They would probably be fine with the death penalty, but executions would be quiet, solemn affairs, not death-as-entertainment. The quickest and most painless methods of execution would be preferred.

So what do you all think of my other idea, the Cult of Blood? Obviously it would be a terrible place to live, but my goal was to make a different kind of dystopia from the usual. They frown upon the idea of a cult of personality, and actually encourage widespread political participation. They might even have a decent social safety net. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that they're total monsters who revel in bloodshed.

Another idea:

Occultocracy
These folks are like the Cult of Blood's younger, more innocent sibling: They're just as unhinged, but a bit less likely to stab you in the face. Instead of worshipping violence, they venerate madness. In the occultocracy, if you want to stay in the good graces of the enlightened philosopher kings, you had better make sure that every sentence you speak is dripping with cryptic aphorisms, esoteric vocabulary, allusions to the occult sciences, and pseudophilosophical ramblings. Asking questions about plebeian matters such as when the next meal is, or whether you need surgery, will earn you a one-way trip to the Fields of Pure Being, where you will atone for your presumptiousness by entering into ecstatic union with The One. As for the philosopher kings themselves, well, when they're not busy trying to enlighten their subjects, they are jockeying for power amongst themselves in a nationwide war of all against all. In this high-stakes competition, anyone accused of being too attached to the temporal world is unlikely to remain in that world for much longer. Meanwhile, the most incoherent, bumbling, delusional truth-seekers are rewarded for their piety by being thrust into the highest offices of the land. What better person to rule a nation than one who has cast off the shackles of the mundane world and transcended to become a creature of pure psychic energy?

Another possible option would be a society that is designed to mimic the structure of the human body. There would be a caste or group of castes for each organ system of the body. Farmers and miners would correspond to the mouth and nose, in that they provide nutrients. Politicians and bureaucrats would be the analog of the nervous system. The heart's equivalent might be a giant warehouse that ships goods to ever corner of the country. A bit like the post office but with a giant bottleneck in the middle. The skin would correspond to everyone who forms the "face" of the nation abroad - soldiers, diplomats, spies, business agents, and so on. As for what the country's actual policies would be, it would certainly be highly elitist, with each caste expected to stick to their assigned role. Property would be mostly or entirely state-owned, perhaps with the state allowing some private property with the explaination that the private sector is the analog of mitochondria and friendly bacteria. What other aspects of this kind of society would be interesting to explore?

Another possible option would be a society that is designed to mimic the structure of the human body. There would be a caste or group of castes for each organ system of the body. Farmers and miners would correspond to the mouth and nose, in that they provide nutrients. Politicians and bureaucrats would be the analog of the nervous system. The heart's equivalent might be a giant warehouse that ships goods to ever corner of the country. A bit like the post office but with a giant bottleneck in the middle. The skin would correspond to everyone who forms the "face" of the nation abroad - soldiers, diplomats, spies, business agents, and so on. As for what the country's actual policies would be, it would certainly be highly elitist, with each caste expected to stick to their assigned role. Property would be mostly or entirely state-owned, perhaps with the state allowing some private property with the explaination that the private sector is the analog of mitochondria and friendly bacteria. What other aspects of this kind of society would be interesting to explore?

So... Cells at Work but as a real life country?

Deleted member 123260

Are all the entries here supposed to be interview style things? Because I want to write an entry for this thread but It's been developing into this big worldbuilding thing now. I don't really know how I'm going to fit it all in one entry either. There would have to be parts.

So has anyone thought about the implications of a world where a terrorist organization similar to Hydra or Cobra actually existed? One that was able to field a surprisingly professional fighting force with equipment on par or even better than most first world armies, was able to infiltrate various governments on a number of levels and a leader with a vast, global cult following.

Deleted member 82792

So has anyone thought about the implications of a world where a terrorist organization similar to Hydra or Cobra actually existed? One that was able to field a surprisingly professional fighting force with equipment on par or even better than most first world armies, was able to infiltrate various governments on a number of levels and a leader with a vast, global cult following.
The Brotherhood of Nod is another good example

Possibly it would be one where NGOs (good and bad) are far more powerful then they already are.

Mafia cartels, corporations, and secret societies would have far more power than they are said to have OTL. Illuminati style groups would be fact and not fiction. Intrigue and not international cooperation is the main tool of geopolitics.

The world imagined would be one that was poorer, less technologically advanced, less educated, and less democratic.

Possibly it would be one where NGOs (good and bad) are far more powerful then they already are.

Mafia cartels, corporations, and secret societies would have far more power than they are said to have OTL. Illuminati style groups would be fact and not fiction. Intrigue and not international cooperation is the main tool of geopolitics.

The world imagined would be one that was poorer, less technologically advanced, less educated, and less democratic.
I'd imagine such a Cobra/Hydra/Nod styled terrorist organization would be terrifying in real life. Maybe it rised to prominence in a new great depression styled crisis gaining popularity with various groups who found themselves disillusioned with the status quo. Where it's founder found himself rising to prominence after reviving failing former industrial towns through illegitimate means.

A world where due to reasons, the British/Dutch East India Company goes full independent from their home country? I know it’s a bit of meme about how evil the BEIC were, but they were surprisingly well equipped and their control of India's saltpeter did allow it control the production of gunpowder for Europe, so an independent East India Company could be considered a serious threat. Granted, they're probably not directly controlling huge amounts of territory but could act as the financial and military backer for Indian states or colonies

I'd imagine such a Cobra/Hydra/Nod styled terrorist organization would be terrifying in real life. Maybe it rised to prominence in a new great depression styled crisis gaining popularity with various groups who found themselves disillusioned with the status quo. Where it's founder found himself rising to prominence after reviving failing former industrial towns through illegitimate means.

You would need more than an economic depression. You would also need a period of such tremendous chaos and violence, that a semi-legal force moves in to fill the gap.

In OTL Italy, the mafia kind of was built that way. In pre-modern Italy, the precursor of the mafia were often organizations (mercenaries, constables) that provided what little defense was possible in an age of feudal domination and conflict.

It was after the annexation of Southern Italy that these organizations evolved from mercenaries to the criminal gangs we know and fear.

It was the invasion of Sicily in 1943 that helped revive the mafia after Mussolini had pulverized it. The violence from the conflict allowed Mafiosi to come back as the fascist order crumbled. It didn't help that the Allies treated these imprisoned men like political dissidents.

To create a hydra style group, you need to create enough chaos to leave a power vacuum in an important country.

A world where due to reasons, the British/Dutch East India Company goes full independent from their home country? I know it’s a bit of meme about how evil the BEIC were, but they were surprisingly well equipped and their control of India's saltpeter did allow it control the production of gunpowder for Europe, so an independent East India Company could be considered a serious threat. Granted, they're probably not directly controlling huge amounts of territory but could act as the financial and military backer for Indian states or colonies

That is one possibility. But again, I don't think such an organization can remain powerful indefinitely.

I picture them coming to power in an age of anarchic state-building. But by say the late 20th century, you'd probably see greater resistance to their power by the population.

You would need more than an economic depression. You would also need a period of such tremendous chaos and violence, that a semi-legal force moves in to fill the gap.

In OTL Italy, the mafia kind of was built that way. In pre-modern Italy, the precursor of the mafia were often organizations (mercenaries, constables) that provided what little defense was possible in an age of feudal domination and conflict.

It was after the annexation of Southern Italy that these organizations evolved from mercenaries to the criminal gangs we know and fear.

It was the invasion of Sicily in 1943 that helped revive the mafia after Mussolini had pulverized it. The violence from the conflict allowed Mafiosi to come back as the fascist order crumbled. It didn't help that the Allies treated these imprisoned men like political dissidents.

To create a hydra style group, you need to create enough chaos to leave a power vacuum in an important country.

That is one possibility. But again, I don't think such an organization can remain powerful indefinitely.

I picture them coming to power in an age of anarchic state-building. But by say the late 20th century, you'd probably see greater resistance to their power by the population.
Good suggestion! Maybe with the second great depression was soon followed by a deadly epidemic. Causing the break down of order in nations across the globe...

I think we had that with a French company already.

Status
Not open for further replies.