An Examination of Extra-Universal Systems of Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Democratic People’s Republic of Korea​

Excellent work as always, and I'm glad you've gotten back to this so soon! Kinda reminds me of modern Switzerland; perhaps some Supreme Leaders were educated in Switzerland, like the current OTL Kim is?

Unfortunately, you set a TL in the future, so you're going to get a barrage of questions that come with the territory. :p

Is there a particular PoD for this?

I hate this question when I get asked, but I have to ask: what's tech like? Any space colonies?

Are there other states independent of the World Union? Are any of them particularly nasty?

Did the sea levels rise, and have they fallen by now?

Alright; this is a little out of order (it might have gone better with the Monarchism chapter)- but what the heck.:biggrin:

The Qing Dynasty entry is meant to be in the monarchy chapter, and I posted it after it's supposed to be over. And you haven't posted the pariah chapter intro yet. ;)

I'm surprised North Korea in that TL hadn't fallen.

This "World Union", what countries are outside of it?

Excellent work as always, and I'm glad you've gotten back to this so soon! Kinda reminds me of modern Switzerland; perhaps some Supreme Leaders were educated in Switzerland, like the current OTL Kim is?

Thank you.:)

It's very much a sort of "Switzerland-y" place. And yes, many of the Kims are still educated in Switzerland- although really the schools at home are just as good.

Unfortunately, you set a TL in the future, so you're going to get a barrage of questions that come with the territory. :p

Bring 'em.:p

Is there a particular PoD for this?

The POD is in 2018 when Kim Jong-un dies of diabetes.:biggrin:

I hate this question when I get asked, but I have to ask: what's tech like? Any space colonies?

Tech has gotten pretty advanced by this point. This world can do things with computers that people in 2016 would tell you are impossible, there's weak AI, micro-manufacturing, and transhumanism is reaching impressive heights. There are extensive colonies on the Moon, Mars and elsewhere (by extensive I mean a total population in space in the millions, percentage-wise over 99% of humanity still lives on earth) and a terraforming project for Mars is in its early stages.

Are there other states independent of the World Union? Are any of them particularly nasty?

There are still plenty of states outside the World Union, most have some sort of association with the WU (like being part of the Eurozone without being a member of the EU), a handful are still completely separate (although even they usually have treaties for things like extradition and allow the use of the World Credit alongside their national currencies). Most are okay, either still fiercely independent or just have very conservative (by 24th century standards) cultures and don't want to be assimilated by the greater world society. A couple (Turkmenistan, Free Pakistan, and Central Africa) however are under dictators taking advantage of the fact that modern technology makes it possible to for a single individual (with suitable enhancements) to directly control their government, military, and citizens with an absoluteness that 20th and 21st century dictators would envy. Other countries New Brunei still has a pretty powerful monarch, but they're the only one (with a monarch who's more than just symbolic, there are still ceremonial monarchies) and are more like present day Liechtenstein than Saudi Arabia. Arabia itself is a theocracy that operates as sort of a very big Vatican City and is really quite nice, Vatican City of course is still around. A few of the other independents are fairly corrupt democracies, but not awful.

Did the sea levels rise, and have they fallen by now?

They have risen and remain high. Things were pretty crazy in the 22nd century for a while.

The Qing Dynasty entry is meant to be in the monarchy chapter, and I posted it after it's supposed to be over. And you haven't posted the pariah chapter intro yet. ;)

True! And this is sort of technically both a pariah state and a monarchy, so it hits all the boxes.:p

I'm surprised North Korea in that TL hadn't fallen.

They dodged a few bullets and had some luck.

This "World Union", what countries are outside of it?

It originally grew out of the European Union, so mostly countries that were poorer, third-world types in the 21st century. They're developed now (if not all the way up to World Union Standards), but many prefer to associate with the Union without joining. That way they get the economic benefits while retaining their independence. Others remain holdouts of nationalism and theism like North Korea.

Wait...what? Did the Nazis win in this timeline?

Thaaaaat was a typo. Fixed.:oops:

Also have a flag and a map;
EUG XV.png

The POD is in 2018 when Kim Jong-un dies of diabetes.:biggrin:

Should have bought those testing supplies from Liberty Medical.

Tech has gotten pretty advanced by this point. This world can do things with computers that people in 2016 would tell you are impossible, there's weak AI, micro-manufacturing, and transhumanism is reaching impressive heights. There are extensive colonies on the Moon, Mars and elsewhere (by extensive I mean a total population in space in the millions, percentage-wise over 99% of humanity still lives on earth) and a terraforming project for Mars is in its early stages.

Interesting. Any independence movements in space? Has transhumanism reached brain upload stages?

There are still plenty of states outside the World Union, most have some sort of association with the WU (like being part of the Eurozone without being a member of the EU), a handful are still completely separate (although even they usually have treaties for things like extradition and allow the use of the World Credit alongside their national currencies). Most are okay, either still fiercely independent or just have very conservative (by 24th century standards) cultures and don't want to be assimilated by the greater world society. A couple (Turkmenistan, Free Pakistan, and Central Africa) however are under dictators taking advantage of the fact that modern technology makes it possible to for a single individual (with suitable enhancements) to directly control their government, military, and citizens with an absoluteness that 20th and 21st century dictators would envy. Other countries New Brunei still has a pretty powerful monarch, but they're the only one (with a monarch who's more than just symbolic, there are still ceremonial monarchies) and are more like present day Liechtenstein than Saudi Arabia. Arabia itself is a theocracy that operates as sort of a very big Vatican City and is really quite nice, Vatican City of course is still around. A few of the other independents are fairly corrupt democracies, but not awful.

Awesome, I look forward to covering it.

They have risen and remain high. Things were pretty crazy in the 22nd century for a while.

Looking at that map, I can see that now!

Also have a flag and a map;

Awesome, I love the amount of detail. This will be easier to cover. Hopefully. :p

And social democracy is archaic. :)

The WU claimt hat they've improved on it- technically Neo-Demarchism is democracy, just not elective democracy. It works about as well as the system it replaced however- it's perhaps a bit of an improvement on a planetary scale. Less entrenched party systems and all that.

Damn. That's ghastly.

It's not so bad. Your average citizen of the WU is just as free as the citizen of a first world democracy in the 21st century- more so depending on the first world democracy in question. The loss of many national identities and culture on the other hand is pretty sad, albeit unintentional.

Should have bought those testing supplies from Liberty Medical.

;)

Interesting. Any independence movements in space?

Not currently. Only the Moon and Mars have the infrastructure to theoretically survive on their own with regular shipments from Earth and they're such appendages of the terrestrial economy that independence would be economically devastating. Plus the inhabitants of the off-world colonies have the same participation in the Union government that those of purely terrestrial states do- although currently the Moon is the only WU constituent state not located on Earth.

Has transhumanism reached brain upload stages?

Not quite, but that's very much the next step. They can technologically enhance memory, intelligence, and pattern recognition in the human brain (not creativity, but that may just be because "creativity" is such a hard concept to define) and create relays that allow people to control both hardware and software by thinking.

Awesome, I look forward to covering it.

I look forward to seeing your cover.

Looking at that map, I can see that now!

I used one of your maps with sea level rise as the base for that one.:)

Awesome, I love the amount of detail. This will be easier to cover. Hopefully. :p

Sweet.:cool:

No problem, but suddenly I want a Fascist/Communist Cold War timeline!

I'm sure it's been done.:)

Also, awesome scenario. I like how North Korea is still (relatively speaking) a backwards, isolated and oppressive nation-state.

Thank you.:) That's sort of the irony.:biggrin:

Good update, Ephraim! :)

Thanks!

Christ, the map! Did environmental changes (ex. global flooding) happened with those chunks of China, India, and Arabia getting new seashores?

For those of y'all who want a view of the "Kowloon" Qing world, here you go. A full map is in the works!

View attachment 278435
Now I am more vested in learning about the Qing Kowloon world. From the look of things, the USSR-China alliance solidified their control over Korea, Taiwan and Japan. I have to guess these were somewhat better times for them. But Vietnam is still divided.

Christ, the map! Did environmental changes (ex. global flooding) happened with those chunks of China, India, and Arabia getting new seashores?

Ah yes, that. Yes the world never got its act together enough to stop global warming, and there's been some pretty substantial sea level rise.

They say that the Political Spectrum is a Circle....

That it is.;)

Perhaps a better PoD for the North Korea world is Britain staying in the EU? :p

Ugh, I suppose so.:noexpression: It looks like a lot of future TLs have become outdated all at once.

Ugh, I suppose so.:noexpression: It looks like a lot of future TLs have become outdated all at once.

This is why I make my future TLs have non-apparent, but still extant PoDs. It conveniently explains why I "got everything wrong," and why in-universe there isn't someone in an insane asylum shouting about how everything he said came true. :p

This is going to be my last guest entry in the monarchy chapter, and possibly the last entry in said chapter.

---

United Kingdoms of Austria-Hungary-Slavonia
What is the United Kingdoms of Austria, Hungary, and Slavonia? Is it the modern incarnation of the Holy Roman Empire? Is it a military and political alliance between three independent states? Is it a free trade zone between the same? Is it a federation? Is it democratic or autocratic? Is it any combination of these things?

To answer this question, I visit the Imperial capital of Vienna. This ancient city is beautiful; the Habsburgs are famous for their patronage of the arts, and the architecture of Vienna is testament to this. The beauty of the city does not befit the stereotype of Viennese being grouchy and cynical, but as I find out more about the political situation in the United Kingdoms, I come to understand this stereotype and sympathize with it.

I meet Ms. Abigail Kohler at the Café Landtmann. Vienna is famous for its traditional cafes, so I asked that Ms. Kohler meet me here, where Sigmund Freud once drank. Ms. Kohler is now retired, but she had an impressive political career. She was a Member of the Austrian Parliament, and afterward elected to the Imperial Parliament as one of Vienna’s representatives, for the Austrian Unity Party.

To begin, I ask her what the United Kingdoms are. This was a mistake. She laughs at my question.

“I don’t think I can answer that.”

I ask her how it is possible to become such an accomplished politician without understanding the mechanics of the United Kingdoms. I immediately apologized for the slight, but Ms. Kohler chuckled some more, saying that no offense was taken.

“You don’t understand yet, but when you asked me what the United Kingdoms is, you asked me a dozen different questions.”

Ms. Kohler gives me the basics, by the numbers. The United Kingdoms has one monarch, three prime ministers, four official languages, ten additional unofficial languages, one Imperial Council appointed by the monarch, one Imperial Parliament elected by the people, three national governments, each with their own parliaments, and three separate armies under one Imperial command structure.

Ms. Kohler gives me a brief primer on the history of the United Kingdoms. The United Kingdoms of Austria, Hungary and Slavonia, sometimes known as the Empire of Austria-Hungary-Slavonia, was formed from the Habsburg Empire. The Habsburg family originated in Switzerland, and took control of modern Austria in 1279. The Habsburgs quickly grew to prominence in Central Europe, often through intermarriage with other European houses. During its zenith, the Habsburg family under Charles V ruled both the Holy Roman Empire and the Spanish Empire, which at the time had control over much of the New World. By the 19th century, the Habsburg Empire was greatly reduced in power, particularly after the loss of several wars against Napoleon Bonaparte. In 1867, the Ausgleich established the dual monarchy, dividing the Habsburg Empire into two semi-sovereign states: the Empire of Austria and the Kingdom of Hungary. The Habsburg Emperor, Franz Joseph I, was both the Emperor of Austria and the King of Hungary.

Franz II was the emperor who formed the modern United Kingdoms. In November of 1916, Emperor Franz Joseph died, and Franz II inherited the Habsburg throne. Franz II was a reformer, and believed that his empire could not survive in its current state. To reform the Empire, Franz II made two extremely controversial moves: he split off the Croatian territories as a separate monarchy, the Kingdom of Slavonia, and he granted universal male suffrage to the Hungarian Diet. Both acts weakened the Hungarian nobility considerably, sparking a civil war. The Austrian Civil War (1916-1920) would almost provoke a Europe-wide war, as both the German and Italian empires intervened on behalf of Franz II, and the Russians almost supported the Hungarians and the Slavic independence movements. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed, and when the Great War began in 1924, the Austrians did not participate.

After the war, Franz II was free to enact more reforms by virtue of victory. Rather than solidifying Imperial rule, he instead adopted a more decentralized model. The Habsburg Empire’s lands were divided into three independent kingdoms: Austria, Hungary and Slavonia. The Imperial monarchy was retained by all three nations, as was united defense and foreign policy, but almost all affairs were devolved to national governments. Each independent kingdom was divided into several states, which all send representatives to both an Imperial Parliament and a national parliament.

I ask Ms. Kohler how she could be the representative of Vienna, if representatives to parliament are designated by state. She tells me that Vienna is separate from the rest of Austria. Every language of the Habsburg realm is spoken here. It is its own state within the Kingdom of Austria, and politically one of the few regions in Austria who support the continuation of the United Kingdoms. In the last election, many of the rural areas voted for the Pan-German Front, a collection of political parties with the ultimate goal of uniting with the German Empire. The Unionist parties only get votes from the urban areas, which are more multicultural and benefit from the increased revenue from the rest of the United Kingdoms.

“The Pan-Germans have gobbled up almost the entire pro-independence movement,” Ms. Kohler tells me. “The old Independence Front has been sidelined completely. I suspect that the German government is directly involved, somehow.”

I tell Ms. Kohler that this is all very confusing, and she tells me it gets worse.

“And then there are the Czechs, who want to form their own state, and take the Sudetenland from Austria. Naturally, the Pan-Germans oppose them. Some of the Slovaks want independence from Hungary, and union with an independent Czech state, while others want an independent Slovakia. The Galician Poles want to unite with Poland, but the Galician Communist Party wants to join the Soviet Union. At least, the pro-Moscow faction does.” This goes on for a while.

With all of these competing political parties, I ask how anything gets done on the Imperial level.

“The Emperor decides everything. He is the ultimate winner in all of this.”

Ms. Kohler explains further. The Emperor of the United Kingdoms, King of Austria, Hungary, and Slavonia, has little official power. His only powers are the power to appoint members of the Imperial Council – which only have powers delegated to them by the Imperial Parliament – and the power to break deadlocks in the Imperial Parliament. Theoretically, this gave the Emperor little actual power. However, the Imperial Parliament has not agreed on anything since its foundation.

I ask Ms. Kohler if this was Franz II’s plan all along. She smiles.

“That is exactly how Franz II envisioned the Imperial Parliament. He knew that his subjects could never agree on anything. By establishing himself as a neutral arbiter, he gives up none of his actual power.”

I ask about the role the Emperor plays in the three kingdoms.

“The national governments decide almost everything,” she explains. “Healthcare, criminal law, everything. The Imperial government only decides issues of defense, international and interstate trade, foreign policy and border policy. As king, the Emperor has little power here. Everything is decided by the Austrian Parliament, or the Hungarian Diet, or the Slavonian National Assembly.”

The degree of power the national governments have surprised me, so I asked Ms. Kohler if her move from the Austrian Parliament to the Imperial Parliament was a “promotion.”

“Both the national and imperial governments are important,” she tells me. “Even though the United Kingdoms is a government of limited powers, those powers shape our lives as much as the national governments. I moved to the Imperial Parliament because I became more interested in foreign policy.” She chuckles. “And the pay was much better.”

I ask if Ms. Kohler managed to accomplish anything in the Imperial Parliament, given the deadlock. She shakes her head.

“One time, we managed to pass funding for the eightieth anniversary of the civil war. That was it. The rest of the time was just bickering. It took the Emperor’s intervention just to get the Hungarians to install Romanian-language signs on their portions of the Autobahn.”

I ask Ms. Kohler about the Hungarians, which I could tell from her tone she had no love for. She explains to me that the Hungarians want to rid themselves of the United Kingdoms and the Habsburgs entirely. Its political parties are all united in their desire for total independence, and their disagreement is in the method. The ruling Christian Democrats and the opposition Social Democrats both want to negotiate gradual separation with the Habsburg throne, while the radical left and right both want an immediate abolition of the monarchy. The other fear is that instability will cause the non-Hungarian portions of the Kingdom of Hungary to break off.

Given the divisions, I ask what keeps the United Kingdoms together.

“The independence movements are too fractured and always fight each other,” Ms. Kohler told me. “And everyone is afraid of our neighbors The United Kingdoms has no friends, and many enemies.”

The United Kingdoms is officially neutral, separate from the major power blocs in Europe. However, it has poor relations with both the Soviet Union and the Nationalist-governed German Empire. Both states have expressed an interest in territory currently held by the United Kingdoms. Fortunately, Ms. Kohler tells me that the Poles and French will certainly go to war on behalf of the United Kingdoms.

I ask her if she believes that the independence movements will ever succeed. She shakes her head.

“The nationalists have been in control of the Hungarian Diet for decades, and they can do nothing,” she tells me with a smile.

I finally ask Ms. Kohler what she thinks of the future of the United Kingdoms.

“I love the United Kingdoms. I believe, from the bottom of my heart, that it is the best model for Austria and the other kingdoms. But it is a very complex system. After nearly a decade in politics, I can see why the independence movements have traction. It depends on the Emperor. Franz IV is not interested in entertaining any of them. Who knows about his son?”

I shake Ms. Kohler’s hand and thank her for her time. Before leaving, I admit to her that I am no closer to answering my question. In fact, I am more confused.

“Don’t worry, that’s only natural,” she reassures me. “There are only two kinds of people who say they understand the United Kingdoms: fools, and liars.”

2ZoOkdu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.