An Empire of Heavenly Horses

Introduction - The Last Anabasis
Introduction - The People of the Heavenly Horses

This is the story of many peoples, but it begins with the Tokhari, one of many Indo-European speaking nomadic groups living on what civilized, settled peoples viewed as the periphery of their great civilizations. Specifically, it begins with a single branch of the numerous Tokhari people - one who the Chinese sources refer to as the Yuezhi and the Greeks called the Iatioi - referring to a particular royal clique or tribal affiliation within the broader group. In the third century BCE they were known to the Chinese to be suppliers of jade and exquisite horses from beyond the Tienshan mountains. Calling themselves the Ywati, they thrived on the commerce of the still embryonic silk road, taking on a role as middlemen between the peoples of the east and the west.

Understanding who the Ywati were is a difficult matter, and requires some assumptions. Although it is difficult to assess with any certainty, it can be said with some confidence that not all Tokhari were Ywati, and not all Ywati were Tokhari. Indeed, many who were part of the Ywati confederation were not Tokhari at all, but were either Qiang, Saka, or of even more remote ethnic origin. However, for all their differences, the Ywati shared a common language and culture, and most importantly, a common history. They represented a royal confederation of the type later exemplified by the Xiongnu and the Xianbei.

But pastoral nomadism is a tenuous existence at the best of times. A single famine, a single drought or sickness among livestock can drive a band to the brink of oblivion. Moreover, there are currents - ebbs and flows of people and tribes. In the second century, a different royal clique, the Xiongnu, were on the ascent and the Ywati were on a precipitous decline. In 178 BCE, Chanyu Modu of the Xiongnu scored a major victory over the Ywati. Recognizing the precariousness of their situation, a few years later the Ywati struck back against the Asiani [Wusun], a confederate of the Xiongnu. The Asiani were fellow Tokhari, but such ethnic identifications mattered little to the Ywati, who crushed them in battle, killed their Yavaghu [King], and made off with a great quantity of livestock.

The son of the slain King fled to the Xiongnu and sought shelter with the current Chanyu, a figure known to history only through Chinese records as Liansheng. Liansheng promised assistance, and adopted the surviving Asiani heir as his own son, gaining a powerful ally among the Asiani, who would come to serve as the western enforcers of Xiongnu rule. The two great rulers bided their time, but ten years later, in 164 BCE, they inflicted a disastrous defeat upon the Ywati, which sent what remained of the Ywati into a headlong flight from their home, first to Gansu, then into the Tarim Basin. There they encountered numerous other peoples, many of whom themselves were in flight - Saka and Tokhari on their own migratory paths into exile.

In the fashion of steppe peoples, these defeats did not weaken their martial spirit, but if anything ensured that further aggression would follow. Continued feuding in Gansu rendered the territory unsafe for the Ywati and their remaining herds, and they fled once more. They suffered blows of attrition near constantly. Moving between the Tarim Basin and the Ili Valley, the Ywati feuded for a time with the Asiani, and lost many of their people in intercommunal violence and to assimilation among the Tokhari living there, such as Arsi and the Kucine. Finally, they were pushed out of the Tarim and consigned to the Ili. Many were left behind, and these people settled around the oases of the Tarim and resumed their former lives as traders, finding comfort and community among those who, even if strangers, spoke familiar languages and had familiar customs.

But after some time, the Asiani, now responsible for the western territory of the Xiongnu, launched further attacks against the Ywati in 132. What ensued was a disastrous series of engagements which sent what remained of the Ywati into headlong flight. However calamitous these attacks might have been for the Ywati, this was perhaps to their benefit. Since the death of their King, Wasokalywe in battle against the Xiongnu in 164 BCE, the Ywati had been notionally led by his posthumous son Asanashka. For most of their time as refugees, the Chanyu of the Ywati had been nothing more than a young child and his mother Katsetsya (who ruled in his stead) were surrounded by a steadily shrinking column of retainers, herdsmen, women, and children. Under constant attack from the Asiani, much of this baggage was stripped away. The child would grow into adulthood surrounded by the warlike survivors of constant catastrophes. This suffering made him crafty and wary, but also taught him much of tactics, warfare, and hardship, traits which would be invaluable in his later career. Much as the child was molded by his circumstances, so too did constant warfare create a battle hardened corps of warriors, less encumbered by livestock and families than their counterparts.

The people that passed into Ferghana in the winter of 132 BCE were nothing more or less than an army. In Ferghana, they faced little resistance, and so moved south across the Pamirs, establishing their dominance as they progressed. They were not alone in their exodus either. The rise of the Xiongnu had stirred up the movement of countless peoples. Ten years previously, hundreds of thousands of Saka had followed the same path southwards that the Tokhari now followed. They moved into a world already well peopled and heavily settled, a world of irrigation canals and stone cities, a world of glittering wealth and stamped silver coins, a world ill-prepared for their military prowess, a world that had not been hardened by decades of lean times on the run.

Not long after their arrival in Bactria, an embassy from now-distant Emperor Wu of Han sought out Asanashka and what remained of the Ywati. The embassy was shocked by how few in number they were, but was nevertheless impressed by the warlike qualities of this surviving Tokhari band. In short, the embassy said that the Han Emperor sought to end the policies of appeasement practiced by his predecessors, and weaken the Xiongnu by developing a coalition of their enemies to make war upon them. The embassy offered to support Asanashka if he wished to retake his ancestral vengeance and drive out the Xiongnu. But by now, the Tokhari were wolves among sheep, moving with impunity through the settled lands they now claimed to rule. The Saka, though far more numerous, yielded to their unexpected ferocity. Besides, only the eldest of the Ywati remembered a time when they were supreme over the whole eastern steppe, and Asanashka certainly did not.

Small wonder that Asanashka declined the offer.

The Last Anabasis

Almost a century before our story starts, in 208 BCE, Antiochus III marched inland on a great anabasis to restore Seleucid royal authority in Central Asia. His primary foe was the Thessalian-born King of Bactria, Euthydemus I, and it was the matter of Bactrian Kingship that was in dispute. Antiochus III saw an independent Bactria, claiming royal prerogatives, as a threat to his own legitimacy and power. Further, he sought to reconquer the eastern satrapies in total, restoring the Seleucid boundaries to their previous extent under his illustrious ancestors. This type of regenerative campaign was part and parcel of the Seleucid imperial ideology. So he marched East, crushing the Bactrian cavalry near the River Arius, and beginning a two-year long siege of Bactra itself.

As the siege wore on and attrition began to take its toll, the two leaders met and began negotiations. Euthydemus I, for his part, attempted to win Kingship by argument where arms had so far not prevailed: He sent an envoy Teleas and his son Demetrius, who denied that Euthydemus I was a rebel against Antiochus III - had not Euthydemus I “eliminated the descendants of rebels” by defeating Diodotus’ ancestors? But Teleas had a more persuasive argument as well: Euthydemus was a critical bulwark against barbarism. Through his embassy, Euthydemus I argued that neither he nor Antiochus III would be safe if the Syrian King did not accept his royal authority. There were great numbers of nomads nearby, just across the Jaxartes. It was Bactria who had the power to hold them at bay. If the two Kings wasted their strength warring against each other, those floodgates would break and a horde of nomads would wash over the civilized lands of the Greeks.

This was, some historians have suggested, more of blackmail than anything else. Euthydemus I was defining himself as a defender of civilization, but moreover he was hinting that he had the power to loose the nomads in a sort of mutually assured destruction. If he couldn’t have his autonomy, he had the power to ensure Central Asia was lost forever. The threat posed by the barbarians was apocalyptic in scope. They were already at the gates, and Euthydemus I and Antiochus III could not imagine the world if they were able to pass in numbers beyond the defensive fortifications their ancestors had built.

Here we can see something unique in the character of these Greek settlers in Central Asia. For the Achaemenids there had been no differentiation between nomadic and settled subjects of their territories. Relations between settled peoples and nomads could be complex and fraught, but were mediated through gift-giving and routine exchanges of trade goods and hostages. But for the Bactrian and Syrian Kingdoms, the relationship was more straightforward. The King, whether Bactrian or Syrian, was a defender of civilization, a custodian of a defined territorial expanse. When nomads transgressed over that territory it did not become theirs. Certainly the Dahae and Pahlava, when they invaded Seleucid territory, were not, and indeed could not, within the bounds of Seleucid imperial ideology, be treated as an equal power or an allied partner.

And so Antiochus III withdrew, accepting a new delimitation of Seleucid authority and power. Before he left, he agreed to marry his daughter to Demetrius. Like Seleucus I before him, who withdrew from the Indus in exchange for war elephants, Antiochus III ceded territory and accepted the fact that Bactria was a permanent “ally.” This ultimately was the story of his reign: territorial delimitations and retractions. The Great King retreated first in the East and then later, after the crushing defeat at Magnesia in 189 BCE, accepted the permanent surrender of the Seleucid Empire’s territorial ambitions in Cistauric Asia Minor in 188 BCE. His second anabasis would be a pale shadow of his first. Antiochus III died fighting in Elymais a year later. The dynasts who followed him were unable to right the ship of state, although they made great efforts. Antiochus IV made some progress restoring royal authority in Armenia and the Persian Gulf before his own untimely death to disease in 164 BCE.

From there, the history of the Seleucid Dynasty would be marked by vicious dynastic disputes and corrosive territorial losses. The system of “renewal by campaign” practiced by the Syrian Kings - the routine wars in Ionia or the Upper Satrapies - broke down and external powers were increasingly able to dictate who would become King. In this new vacuum of royal authority, Greek colonies became prizes to be wooed and trophies to be acquired for the rising powers of a new world order. In Babylonia, Seleucid royal authority nearly vanished, leaving a vacuum to be filled by a mixture of imperial officials, the rising Arsacids, and newly autonomous Elamite and Characenian Kings.

In 141 BCE, the Arsacid King Mithridates I conquered Seleucia-on-the-Tigris, but even still, any sense of renewed political order still did not emerge for a generation at least, during the reign of Mithridates II in the 120s BCE. During this time, the Babylonian and Seleucian mobs appear to have had just as much authority as local priests and officials to dispense justice, and at least the same degree of legitimacy. Apart from several abortive attempts to restore Seleucid authority in 138 and 130 BCE, which were seen off by Phraates II, there were no meaningful threats from the West, and by the death of Antiochus VII Sidetes in 129 BCE, the Syrian Kingdom was on its last legs. It had no resources to draw from. It had been shorn of its major sources of manpower and its most profitable colonies. The rump state in Syria proper was at the mercy of its neighbors, and across the near east, the Arsacids had effectively replaced them, and their grand designs stretched ever further Westward.

Once the Syrian Kings lost their capacity to wage their wars of renewal and embark on their anabases in 164 BCE, the political geography of Central Asia changed. Overnight, Greco-Bactria and indeed all Greek settlement in the East was islanded permanently. While practically speaking, trade, movement, and communications were not severed, for the first time since the death of Alexander the Great, there was no longer a contiguous Greek political world stretching from Epirus to the Indus.

Contemporaneously with the collapse of Seleucid authority in the East, Bactria experienced a political, economic, and artistic flowering of dramatic proportions. Historically, Bactria had been prosperous - the “land of a thousand cities” overflowing with trade goods and silver coins. It had a robust irrigation network and the Greek administrators were generally able to ensure prosperity flowed into both their own hands and the hands of local potentates as well - ensuring the solidarity of their regime, a solidarity attested by the resilience of Bactria in the face of Antiochus III’s invasion.

However, Bactria had always been bounded rather tightly in a geographic sense - perhaps owing to the fact that its political power was maintained by the Greek settler elite over the mass of Iranian speaking peoples, and that it had limited capacity to dominate the steppe. Bactria’s boundaries were thus defensible rivers to the North, the Tarim Basin (into which it lacked the capacity to penetrate) and the Northern Hindu Kush. After the ascension of Demetrius I (circa 200 BCE) the son of Euthydemus I (which may have been contemporaneous with the latter’s own rule), these boundaries would expand dramatically. Arachosia and Drangiana were secured following the shocking collapse of the Seleucid regime in the East. His position secure, Demetrius I launched an invasion across the Hindu Kush into India, where the Mauryan Empire was on its last legs.

Demetrius I remains enigmatic. Certainly, he had major military successes in India, which prompted him to shift the center of his power to India, where he established for a time a strong, centralized, and bureaucratic state. To pay his armies, he issued numerous silver coins with fine artistic detail, depicting his bust on the obverse, crowned with an elephant skull. However, much like Alexander the Great, whose legacy he conspicuously copied, his achievements would not long outlive his death. His younger brother (or perhaps an unrelated ruler), Antimachus, who took power in Bactria after his death was overthrown by Eucratides I, an ambitious court official, in 171 BCE, the same year that Mithridates I ascended the Arsacid throne.

Eucratides I would continue to build on Demetrius’ legacy, campaigning in India off and on for the next thirty years. He was not, however, able to maintain political autonomy. Like many of the post-Seleucid dynasts, he was a feudatory of the Dahae, which limited where he could turn his military attentions. Accordingly, the bulk of his military campaigns consisted of wars against other Greek warlords in India, successful generals and members of the Euthydemid extended family who had managed to develop power bases of their own.

Thus, political control over Bactria and India as a united whole was permanently undone. The Greeks in India were relatively few in numbers, and responsible for maintaining sweeping conquests with miniscule forces. Their rulers increasingly turned to co-rulers and viceroys to maintain royal authority. They began to co-opt local iconography and local elites in service of this mission. Even in Demetrius I’s time, such fracturing had begun. By Demetrius I’s death, Arachosia, Bactria, and India were administered as separate kingdoms.

This fracturing created the perfect vacuum for an unscrupulous and ambitious figure such as Eucratides to climb to the top. A strong monarch might have been able to unify Demetrius I’s state for a time, but legitimacy was solely based on military skill, especially after Eucratides I’s coup laid bare the reality that dynastic succession was an illusion. Demetrius I’s son and namesake, Demetrius II, would later fight Eucratides I and in turn be defeated, and with that defeat the Euthydemid dynasty was wiped out, followed by a succession of nondynastic rulers.

The diversion of military resources towards India and the state of perpetual low-level civil war between rival claimants seeking “spear-won” land led in part to a weakening of control over the northern frontier. Pressed by the Wusun and the Tocharians, and driven from their ancestral lands in no small part by the rise of the Xiongnu, the Saka in their turn pressed increasingly hard on the borders of Bactria, moving across an increasingly porous frontier with ever greater impunity. As Eucratides I struggled with this new threat, he conceded, at least temporarily, control of India to one the greatest of the Indo-Greek Kings - the Buddhist Menander I Soter, who took power in 155 BCE and conquered vast swathes of India, pushing aside the relatively feeble Shunga successor state and taking Pataliputra, the heart of the Maurya dynasty by 149 BCE. Menander would go on to fight Eucratides as well, but even in victory he was not able to reunify the state.

Finally, an old man, he passed away in 130 BCE, a patron of Buddhism beloved by his soldiers and the Indian people alike for his victories over the Shunga. At his death in camp, his wife Agathocleia took power and ruled as a regent for his son Strato, alongside her brother who ruled as Strato Epiphanes Soter. The establishment of a regency at this critical juncture was perhaps the final straw for Greek ambitions in India. What the Kingdom of India needed was an able leader, someone who could build upon the achievements of Menander as Demetrius had built upon the accomplishments of Euthydemus and Alexander had built upon the accomplishments of Phillip. Instead, it had a boy King, whose reign would be wracked by rebellions by his fellow Greeks (since military achievement was the only form of legitimacy) and assaults by a resurgent Shunga dynasty (since the Greeks were too few in number to control the vast territory they had seized).

The north would be of no assistance. By 130 BCE, the Saka were running rampant through Bactria effectively uncontested. The chaotic ascension and decline of kings continued unabated. Although he had lived for a long time and fought tirelessly to maintain his rule for decades, Eucratides I was murdered by his sons, Eucratides II and Heliocles I in 145 BCE. This led to civil war and further instability, and provided an opportunity for the Saka (and various other groups identified by the Greeks as the Asiani, Pasiani, and Tocharians) to pour into Bactria en masse. The arrival of the Saka was initially quite disruptive. Certainly many Hellenistic sites, such as Alexandria-on-the-Oxus, were sacked. It was evident that the Greeks, their military strength drained by constant foreign conquests in India, were unable to resist or wage war against the Saka. However, what emerged after this initial period of apocalyptic anarchy was a system of parallel administration. Greek colonies and settled life more generally were permitted to continue as tributaries to the Saka.

Although Greek monarchs would continue wearing diadems for some time, minting coins and issuing decrees, the real power behind their thrones were the dreaded Saka. The Greek monarchs were nothing more than local rulers and puppets, intended to provide a veneer of legitimacy and nothing more. The Saka found this system to be highly advantageous, because it rid them of the difficulty of having to properly rule the settled peoples they conquered. The parallel administrative model they established maintained law and justice. It guaranteed a sense of continuity and ordinary life that prevented the settled agricultural peoples from feeling existentially threatened, even as their wealth was appropriated. Their walled cities and temples were largely, after the initial wave of destructive violence, unmolested, or at least less molested.

When the Saka eventually pushed further, into the declining Indo-Greek warlord states, they would preserve this same model of conquest. In this new model of “governance,” the barriers between the Greeks and the various settled peoples they ruled were swept away. Where once the Greeks had maintained something of a cultural barrier between ruler and ruled, they were now no different than the Bactrians - a conquered people. Although mutual assimilation was evident long before this time, the destruction of Greek royal institutions rapidly increased this trend. The merger of Iranian, Indian, and Hellenistic styles began in earnest with the arrival of the Saka.

Euthydemus I’s blackmail threat had come to pass. The “civilized world” that he and Antiochus III had promised to guarantee was overrun. Demetrius I’s legacy as a conqueror would be limited by the ultimate failure of his imperial model, and indeed the failure of the Hellenistic imperial model as a whole. The ideology of the state was one of spear-won territory and intensely personal. Antiochus III and Demetrius I, however different the trajectory of their lives, both ruled based upon a clique of aristocratic followers whose loyalty was based on the military prowess of their master. All the rest of the trappings of their regimes - the religious symbolism, the coins marked with the royal visage and the symbols of goddesses and gods, the conspicuous emulation of Alexander the Great, were assertions of royal power, but they were not its basis.

This fragile system persisted and perpetuated itself when it was embodied in the person of a strong ruler. And furthermore, it was remarkably adept at producing such figures, generating a warlike culture that prided itself on creating warlike men who could run it. But the system broke down into anarchy and dissolution with remarkable swiftness in the absence of such a figure.

But as disruptive as the arrival of the Saka was, their preeminence in Bactria was short lived. Within a generation, the Tokhari had crossed over the Pamir Mountains and arrived in Bactria. Hardened by years of fighting and travel, chased from their ancestral homelands just as the Saka had been, the Tokhari would in short order attain preeminence over the Saka and inaugurate a new era of Central Asian history.

It is at the dawn of this new era that our story begins in earnest.

Last edited:
Excellent background info and writing style. I feel like you set the stage for events to come in an effective manner. Can't wait to read more!

The person that I am currently talking to, which indicates you have something or multiple things that the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death or not have the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death I possess, known as attention.

Excellent background info and writing style. I feel like you set the stage for events to come in an effective manner. Can't wait to read more!

Thank you!

The person that I am currently talking to, which indicates you have something or multiple things that the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death or not have the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death I possess, known as attention.

I spent far too long trying to understand this.

Always happy to get feedback - especially when it comes to alternate linguistics and the question of what the Yuezhi would be named in their own language! The temptation to abandon the Ywati/Yuezhi name as a whole was strong - since it seems like almost every Tocharian groups names fall into two categories: something derived from Arsi/Arghi or something derived from Kushan/Kucha. But ultimately I thought that Ywati was more distinctive and it's as good of a guess as I've yet seen.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I spent far too long trying to understand this.

Always happy to get feedback - especially when it comes to alternate linguistics and the question of what the Yuezhi would be named in their own language! The temptation to abandon the Ywati/Yuezhi name as a whole was strong - since it seems like almost every Tocharian groups names fall into two categories: something derived from Arsi/Arghi or something derived from Kushan/Kucha. But ultimately I thought that Ywati was more distinctive and it's as good of a guess as I've yet seen.

This is the right choice in my view. The Ywati/Yuezhi were a distinct political realm that exceeded the normal power of nearby Tokharian states or peoples. From the opinion of some, the Yuezhi in fact were originally lords over a massive realm extending across Tokharia and into Mongolia. Regardless, the Ywati carried a militaristic lineage and skill that made the Han hold them in esteem as the greatest of the barbarians and a formidable people.

As someone who's long had a fascination with central Asia and the Bactrian Greeks in particular I love this first chapter and am very excited to see where this goes! Seems like we're primed to see some sort of synergistic nomadic/settled empire based out of Transoxiana arise, which would have incredibly interesting effects on both Roman and Chinese history. Will be watching with interest.

Great start to what will almost certainly be another fascinating timeline. I really enjoyed your White Huns and Diadochi timelines so I will follow this with interest.

Sweating Blood
Sweating Blood

Nomadic peoples are marked by, inter alia, two major traits - their mobility and their precarity. The former was well understood by the settled agriculturalists with whom they encountered, while the latter somewhat less so. It was the precarity of steppe life - the ebb and flow of fortunes, anchored by climatic and political instability - that drove the dispersion of the Saka and the Ywati across Central Asia, sending them in headlong flight from their traditional homelands. But it was the mobility of steppe peoples that defined their conquest of Central Asia.

It should come as little surprise that the Ywati and other Tokhari groups, upon their arrival in Bactria, immediately began to fight with the Saka. It was not necessarily that the proverbial town was too small for both peoples - there was no scarcity of material wealth in the region, no shortage of pastureland and the spectre of famine did not immediately hang over Bactria. Their conflict was more intrinsically political - the Ywati in particular were newcomers, and it can be surmised that their primary goal in moving steadily westward was to regain their former preeminent position and ensure security for what remained of their extended group. Performative violence was the easiest strategy to ensure their safety and eventual predominance. Furthermore, the loss of their horses and livestock - the truest marker of wealth and security on the steppe - had to be remedied. These two factors would motivate the sudden eruption of warfare between the Ywati with their Tokhari allies, and the Saka.

As we have discussed, after the initial orgy of violence, looting, and slave taking that marked the cataclysmic decline of the Hellenistic political world, the Saka established a short-lived and fundamentally parasitic parallel administration over the settled peoples. Local potentates and Kings continued to “rule” unmolested so long as they directed wealth and favor towards the Saka groups that moved effectively unchecked across their lands. By 130 BCE, major permanent encampments of Saka had developed around many urban centers. These encampments can be viewed not merely as unofficial “garrisons” but as a sort of more underdeveloped parallel to the Arsacid court - a semi-mobile royal concentration of military power, tied by confederal bonds to other similar bands. The primary difference, of course, was that these encampments had limited interest in directly exploiting the cultivation of land through grand estates. They were still largely indifferent to settled life.

However, the Saka were quickly overwhelmed by the newly arrived Tokhari bands. The Ywati were hardened by their long march and the near-continuous warfare they had faced since beginning their exodus. What remained was the elite core of their society, a corps of well-armored and well-equipped veteran warriors with the finest bows, swords, and lances, draped in lamellar armor of excellent manufacture. They were excellent horsemen and shortly after their arrival were able to obtain a surfeit of horses through lightning raids, replacing their deplenished herds by striking hard and fast at the Saka encampments.

This period of sudden violence did not last long. It was followed, generally speaking, by the submission of the Saka. The Saka were well accustomed to confederal systems such as the Ywati sought to build. The Ywati, for their part, were predisposed to negotiate. This was not a clash of two alien lifestyles, but rather the meeting of two very similar peoples, whose language, customs, and culture were not unfamiliar at all to each other. By and large, they understood that this was simply the way of the world. A wise leader paid tribute and offered submission to stronger leaders. Those who refused - and there were always those who refused - did so because they intended to flee elsewhere, not stay and fight. Many of the paramount Saka tribes, recognizing that their position would be unacceptably degraded in the new confederal hierarchy, or perhaps recognizing that they were simply too powerful to be granted any quarter by the Ywati, fled to Kapisa. However, the Greeks of Kophes, in one of the last showings of independent Hellenistic martial strength in the region, blocked their passage into India, forcing them to flee, first towards Herat and later, when threatened by the Ywati, towards Sistan.

By around 128 BCE, roughly a generation after the arrival of the Saka, the Ywati had established themselves north of the Amu Darya river, directly ruling the cities and peoples there in a confederal system. Bactria and Arachosia were subdued, with the Saka there serving as confederal tributaries. It is best not to think of this establishment as an empire. A wide swathe of this new regime was more or less autonomous. Central authority was minimal. Even if the whole enterprise was overseen by a single Ywati King, the Ywati were faced everywhere with autonomous peoples. Asanashka, now a hardened warrior in the prime of his life, was powerful, but his power was based on bonds of tribal loyalty and alliances sealed with marriages and hostages. The Ywati hegemony had little ability or desire to prevent nomadic peoples from moving as they wished, and after Kophes fell to siege in 127 BCE, Saka streamed through the Kashmir mountains, where they would reside in growing numbers among the Greeks until the pivotal turning point where the Saka warlord Maues (Moasa / Mogha) crossed over the high Karakorum Mountains using the ancient trade lanes there.

The Ywati, however, had other more pressing concerns to the West. In 129 BCE, Antiochus VII Sidetes was defeated by the Arsacid Great King, Phraates II (Farhad II). This outcome, although appearing inevitable when viewed through the long lens of history, was actually a close run thing. Antiochus VII had made substantial gains early in the war, seizing Babylonia and Media. But in the end he was betrayed by his own supposed subjects. The Seleucid garrison towns revolted soon after their reconquest by the Syrian dynast. Antiochus VII, in his attempt to right this unexpected reversal, was killed in battle. But Phraates II was neither the type of leader to rest on his laurels nor one who could afford to.

The sudden influx of Saka presented an existential threat to the Arsacid state, especially when rumors began to grow that the Saka were organized under the leadership of some sort of “Tuxari” warlord. So Phraates II was forced to march east not long after his victory, and as he led his court and retainers on a procession across his far-flung dominions, he took stock of his resources. The Arsacid army was in composition and quality quite similar to that of the Saka. Both fought primarily as bow-armed horsemen, unarmored or lightly armored, backed by an elite armored fist of cataphracts. Fearing that this force would not be sufficient, or perhaps hoping to gain himself a tactical edge Phraates II pressed the captured Syrian army of Antiochus VII and the population of the Greek garrison towns into service for his cause, giving him a substantial corps of phalangites and lance-armed Hellenistic cavalry to augment his forces.

When Phraates II rode east and north to face the Ywati, they gathered their full strength to oppose him, which meant calling on their numerous confederates and allies. Asanashka was at this stage in his life a veteran tactician but also a skilled diplomat and leader. He had little difficulty drawing together a far larger force than Phraates II, reminding his recently conquered allies of their promises, but also offering loot and the various spoils of war.

Phraates II lost the battle before he even came to fight. According to legend, Asanashka ordered a group of his Greek subjects sneak into the Arsacid camp and tell the Syrian army and the Mesopotamian garrison-soldiers that Asanashka was a philhellene, one who respected the ancient rights of their cities and would not treat them as slaves. The message, according to legend, was carried by a young, handsome boy named Heraios, who spoke so eloquently that the Syrian soldiers defected en masse. Whether true or not, history confirms that the Greek soldiers did not fight alongside the Arsacid army. Demoralized by this stunning reversal, the Arsacid forces were quickly defeated and Phraates II himself was killed in the retreat. The narrative would go on to become foundational in the history of the Tokhari Empire.

Although Phraates II was defeated and his body abandoned on the field, the Ywati did not follow their victory up with a successful campaign into the Iranian plateau. It can be surmised that their position was still too weak. So instead of conquest, the Ywati focused on shoring up their expansive new territories - moving against rebellious holdouts like Kophes rather than against the Arsacids directly.

The Ywati could afford this. Their victory led to a period of substantial internal disorder in what remained of the Arsacid hegemony - and it was only ever a hegemony. The kingdoms of Adiabene, Gordyene, and Osrhoene gained effective autonomy, and a local Iranian prince named Hyspaosines was able to aggressively expand his holdings. Hyspaosines had been elevated by Antiochus IV to the satrapy of Characene, but he had been independent since the last failed Seleucids anabasis. With the Arsacids having just failed in their own anabasis, Hyspaosines saw his opportunity, marching north and seizing Babylon in 127 BCE.

Phraates’ successor was Bagasis I (Bagayasha I) whose eight-month reign was quickly followed by Artabanus II (Ardawan II). Even aside from this moment of dynastic instability, Artabanus II could not react to the rise of Hyspaosines yet, however much he might wish to. In defeat, Artabanus II was compelled to pay an immense tribute to the Tokhari, and he knew well that the only way to free himself from this yoke would be to fight. However, he was an old man, and whatever warlike skill he once had, he no longer possessed. Further, the Ywati were only growing in power, and in 124 BCE Artabanus II fought yet another battle against the massive Tokhari/Saka coalition, only to be defeated and killed in turn alongside his son, Mithridates (Mihrdat).

The battle was a cataclysmic loss - the flower of the Arsacid aristocracy was cut down, their cataphracts unable to escape the fighting. Asanashka and his confederation thus gained effective control of nearly all the former Arsacid territory east of the Zagros. The estates of the Parthian houses were ransacked and Tokhari and Saka raiders pillaged at will, before settling down into a pattern of exploitation not unlike that practiced in Bactria. By now the Ywati were in a far stronger position. Their confederacy had no military rivals in the immediate area. With the death of two Great Kings within four short years, the Arsacid court was horrifically destabilized. A new ruler, Orodes (Wehrod), came to power quickly thereafter. The son of Bagasis, he took to calling himself philhellene and Arsaces and printing the omphalos on his coins. He gathered the remaining, largely dispossessed Parthian nobles and Dahae riders - even rebellious Saka would would follow him - and remained on the west side of the Zagros, fighting against Hyspaosines, who know was claiming not merely to be King of Characene but also Sarru of Babylon. After an unsuccessful siege, Orodes retreated to Ecbatana, which appears to have still been a stronghold of his state for the time being. He would return in greater numbers the next year.

[Up until this point, apart from my editorializations and some flourishes designed to make the story more interesting, everything has been, to the best of my knowledge and ability, a story based in OTL, apart from the name Asanashka, which is my own invention based on a real Tocharian name. The death of Mithridates (in our history Mithridates II) in battle, marks the PoD. Instead of Mithridates II taking the throne, a weaker and less legitimate Arsacid does so. The virtual exclusion of the Arsacids from the Iranian plateau however, is OTL, and a situation that would only historically be reversed by Mithridates II.]

In the aftermath of his victory, Asanashka was elevated beyond his wildest dreams. Victory had brought an immense territory under his control, however weakly. More importantly, it eliminated the sole real external threat to his regime. He would lie for another decade, dying in 114 BCE, in a world that was fundamentally changed. There was no clear-cut political structure anymore - the era of clearly defined borders and easy demarcations was past. There was no clear-cut delineation between who held power where anymore, and although petty Greek monarchs still minted coins, Asanashka never did so. There is no numismatic evidence for his name, and thus we must face the fact that his entire existence may be entirely apocryphal. His contemporaries are similarly nameless ghosts in an era where clear written records are almost entirely unavailable.

Even if this was a dark age in terms of written history, it was not a period of “barbarism.” If Antiochus III was transported forward in time from his great siege of Bactria to review the world that Asanashka had built, he might have been surprised by how recognizable it was. The great irrigation works had not been destroyed. The Saka, and Tokhari after them, had no interest in destroying them, and had simply moved into unoccupied, more peripheral land. They were content to exploit the existing economic structures without damaging them. Perhaps our Antiochus III would have noticed that the nomads who lived on this periphery used ceramics and textiles that were recognizably Hellenistic - goods acquired through tribute but just as commonly purchased outright.

However, not everything remained the same. Some Hellenistic sites, destroyed in the initial invasion, did not recover. Although the people who reoccupied the ruins might have borne some passing cultural similarities to Hellenes, their dress and speech would have been unfamiliar. They would have worshiped Iranian gods for the most part, although in their rituals our version of Antiochus III would have recognized something familiar as well. And even the destruction wreaked by the Saka was followed by material development and urban reformation. The ruins did not remain uninhabited long, even if the people who moved in were distinctly Bactro-Iranian.

The economy was quite developed as well. Although Asanashka did not mint his own coins, and indeed no Ywati ruler would do so until the sudden emergence of Kasala Aniketos in 103 BCE, there were numerous Greek coins in circulation. These coins were minted from high quality silver, and formed the basis of a system of universal exchange. Greek rulers continued to mint their own coins and attest their own legitimacy as monarchs long after they had ceded all meaningful political control to the nomads. Thus a patchwork of Hellenistic “kings” and Indo-Iranian “satraps” provided a sense of political continuity that links the Hellenistic world to the Tokhari world.

Last edited:

H.W Bailey, the man, the myth and the legend, who wrote the dictionary of Khotanese Saka put forth the endonym Tūa/Tva Gāra as the inspiration for the name 'Tukharas' or 'Tokharoi', with Gāra reffering to the Yuezhi themselves. You could Bactrianize an alternative of that.

The equivalent in Rigvedic Sanskrit, Tava/t Gara renders something similar to 'extremely mighty devourers', which seems an apt name for a confederation practicing predatory nomadism. I'd imagine the semantic meaning won't be too different in whatver Indo-European language the Yuezhi spoke.

Last edited:
Fascinating as always. I couldn't help but notice a parallel with Rise of the White Huns, with Central Asian nomads destroying ( and perhaps supplanting) an Iranian empire. It will be interesting to see where this goes next.

The death of OTL's Mithridates II (Arsaces VIII) is of enormous consequence. Without him, the Arsacid empire is deprived of its second greatest monarch and thence forth its hegemony. His fall is as consequential as the death of mighty kings like king Wu of Han or Louis XIV. His lack, will dash the hopes of the Arsacid empire attaining its unique realm of otl.

Rather, we have not just Bactria dominated by the Tokhari, but a people alongside the Saka dominating from the Zagros to the Hindu Kush and from thence to the Kwarezm in the north and the lands of Sogdiana. I suspect an even more wild journey for the Saka and the Tokhari in this timeline than in otl, without the Arsacids/Surenids to stop their developments in the west.

This is shaping it to be a great TL! Are you gonna take this as far as World or the Rise of the White Huns?

No, and I'm not abandoning White Huns either. This is a smaller-scale project, designed to be more digestible than the immense White Huns.

It looks amazing, who are the 'main characters' the Ywati or the surviving greeks?

I'd say that the main character is Central Asia, regardless of who is residing there.

H.W Bailey, the man, the myth and the legend, who wrote the dictionary of Khotanese Saka put forth the endonym Tūa/Tva Gāra as the inspiration for the name 'Tukharas' or 'Tokharoi', with Gāra reffering to the Yuezhi themselves. You could Bactrianize an alternative of that.

The equivalent in Rigvedic Sanskrit, Tava/t Gara renders something similar to 'extremely mighty devourers', which seems an apt name for a confederation practicing predatory nomadism. I'd imagine the semantic meaning won't be too different in whatver Indo-European language the Yuezhi spoke.

I've seen that. But I ended up going with Pulleybamk's suggestion of Ywati for an endonym. Greek transliteration would be something like Iatioi.

Fascinating as always. I couldn't help but notice a parallel with Rise of the White Huns, with Central Asian nomads destroying ( and perhaps supplanting) an Iranian empire. It will be interesting to see where this goes next.

Well the Arsacids are gone but not defeated. And whereas White Huns was about a nomadic group wiping the slate of the Near East clean, this is going to be more of a story of development and transition - the dawn of a new dynastic/imperial cycle.

The scope is going to be smaller as well.

Shall we see a Greek timur in the future?

Well, that very much depends what you mean by Greek. The Greeks of Central Asia have a lot to contribute to this timeline, but their era as a politically independent people is past. The Saka and Tokhari are just too powerful.

The Last Hellenistic King of India

After the fall of Kophes in 127 BCE, Saka tribes crossed into India via the Khyber Pass and other roads across the Hindu Kush. Their presence is attested in rock-cut inscriptions and recognizably Saka grave-sites. Many others crossed the deserts from Sistan into the Indus River Valley, where there was easy plunder to be found and the local Indo-Greek landholders were generally too weak to resist. Those Indo-Greek rulers who yet held onto power and could raise small armies of their companions were nevertheless inclined to use the Saka as mercenaries, and although that choice would ultimately prove disastrous, it was not immediately so. These initial Saka migrations, after all, were disorganized and piecemeal. Alone, they did not significantly threaten the balance of power (or perhaps more accurately, the power vacuum) on the Indo-Gangetic plain. Nor was any individual tribal grouping sufficiently powerful to unify the region, until a mercenary named Maues emerged to unite them.

Maues hailed from an independent group of Saka, one which took a very different route to India, traveling over the high mountain passes of Karakorum. It was this independent tribal confederation, numbering in the tens of thousands all told, who established the first Indo-Sakan kingdoms. They left petroglyphs, grave sites and inscriptions detailing their journey - marking their legacy at river crossings and other important junctures along the road.

Their path was not unprecedented - this was no Hannibal crossing the Alps. The Saka, as they travelled, followed a well-established trade route, one with waystations and known markers to guide the way. Certainly, for purposes of logistics and safety they came in many waves, and even still the old, the sick, and the otherwise infirm often perished on the route, as did children and livestock, and even healthy adults who happened to fall victim to poor fortune. But that was the way of life even in their homeland. These were people accustomed to hardship. The Saka would have carried their whole world with them across the mountains. They would have brought horses and livestock, pottery and bronze bowls. They would have brought portable shrines to assist with religious ceremonies and brightly ornamented tents. They were not an army - not at first.

When Maues and the Saka arrived in Gandhara at the end of their long journey, they found only disunited Greek Kings, their military strength diminished by internecine wars and conflicts with the Shunga to the south. In 85 BCE, while the Tokhari Empire[1] was still in its infancy, the conqueror Maues seized Taxila with relative ease, defeating the King Archebios. This was a largely peaceful transition - there is no evidence of a sack or any major disruption. Rather, the turn-over of power is perhaps best understood as a palace coup. Maues had previously enlisted his people as “mercenaries” and had fought up and down the Indus on behalf of Taxila, defeating other Saka incursions and rival Hellenistic warlords. When he won these victories, he invariably brought these people under his own umbrella, swelling his ranks and power. The armories of Taxila had even provided the arms and equipment which allowed Maues and his companions to fight as heavily armored cataphracts. It was inevitable that he would eventually have no need for Archebios anymore.

Unlike his northern cousins, Maues had little patience for leaving the Archebios as a puppet ruler. He killed the Greek king later that same year and took his throne, issuing coins in his own name. As a necessary precondition to assuming these royal prerogatives, he married Machene, the former widow of Archebios, who consented to the arrangement to preserve her own position, and preserve the power of her late husband’s companions at court. In this, she succeeded, but it was a drop of water against a flood. By 80 BCE, the Saka controlled the Indus river valley and were rapidly expanding as individual tribal groups saw opportunities and seized them. Not long after the coup in Taxila, a group of Saka travelled south, striking at the city of Ujjain and taking its king, Gardabhilla, captive. Maues would follow this isolated success by campaigning in Patalene and Surashtra, and he would reward his followers well - gifting them extensive lands and titles in those regions, such that even centuries later they would be heavily populated by Saka.

The first set of coins that Maues issued were relatively humble. They identified him in Greek as “Basileos Mauou” and “Maharajasa Moasa” in Kharosthi. Later, circa 75 BCE, a new round of silver coins would issue - featuring more stylized imagery and elevated titles - identifying Maues as “Great King of Kings” - “Basileos Basileon Megalou Mauou” and “Rajatirajasa Mahatasa Moasa” - the the title that would become standard. In time, Maues’ name would be joined by that of his Greek Queen, Machene. Others of lower rank would also mint coins, and would use similarly elevated titles, even if in practice they were subordinate to Maues. For example, after the fall of Ujjain one Spalirisa issued coins declaring himself “rayahiraya” or “King of Kings.” Yet Spalirisa was not himself an autonomous ruler, and based on epigraphic evidence may himself have been a brother or cousin of Maues.

Maues abandoned the longstanding practice so common to the northern Saka of leaving independent federate rulers in place. Where he conquered, the numismatic evidence suggests the immediate overthrow of whatever Hellenistic or Indian ruling authority preceded him, following by the issuance of “victory coinage” stamped with Greco-Iranian religious symbols - coins depicting the symbols of Apollo and Zeus being most prominent. Maues himself came out of a nomadic tradition, but he was quick - remarkably quick - to appropriate the symbols of settled rulership. From all the evidence, he and his followers wanted to rule in the manner of those they conquered. Like the Tokhari to their north, their conquests were based on an elite military clique who solidified rulership over disparate nomadic groups through victory, and established a confederal system where local warlords could themselves claim lofty titles and the spoils of war as long as they acknowledged their subordination to the greater confederal power structure.

Unlike the early Tokhari, however, they were far more comfortable with the settled and urban world into which they emerged - perhaps as a result of their (unclear) prior history. Thus, Maues can be seen in some sense as the last of the Hellenistic Kings of India. In contrast to his successors, whose world was increasingly syncretistic, and drew more and more on diverse Indian and Iranian influences imported from the north and south, Maues, who conquered the Indo-Greek kingdoms, ruled as an Indo-Greek king. This should not come as a great surprise. Maues himself had fought alongside Greeks, married a Greek woman, and lived in a Greek court. Many of the Saka who fought alongside him had served as mercenaries in Bactria and India for decades now, learning the Greek language and adopting some Hellenistic styles and customs in the process. Keeping with the tradition of Macedonian conquerors, Maues was happy to grant privileges and relative autonomy to the cities he conquered, usually by recognizing the rights of the city council and entering into a reciprocal understanding of the sort that would have been very familiar to his contemporaries.

As a philhellene, Maues earned the respect of his Greek subjects. For decades now, the Indo-Greek kingdoms had languished in disunity. The last attempt at unity under a King Lysias had been a mockery of the achievements of conquerors like Demetrius I. Lysias himself had been viewed by the Greeks as a dangerous innovator in the world of religious ritual - replacing traditional Hellenistic symbols with Hindu religious motifs. Maues, even though he himself was not Greek, was more cautious in his approach, and paradoxically by being a philhellene “barbarian” earned more respect than a xenophile Greek like Lysias could. Perhaps for this reason, the remaining Greek warlords who had submitted to Maues waited until his death to rebel.

The Greek rebellion was relatively short lived. Those warlords who began minting their own coins and raising armies were put down in short order, in no small part because Maues put substantial work into ensuring a continuity of succession. In a tradition that would not have been unfamiliar to the Greeks, Maues practiced joint kingship - elevating Spalahora, his nephew, to the throne in 79 BCE and issuing joint coins commemorating the ascension. Through this process, he bypassed his own son by Machene, Artemidoros, who ultimately would remain a mere satrap.

Upon his own ascension to sole power in 71 BCE, Spalahora would elevate his younger brother Azes to the throne, who in turn would elevate Azes II in 64 BCE, possibly due to prompting from the increasingly powerful royal court at Mathura. Thus from an early period, royal authority was defined as something that could be parceled out. In a similar manner, Maues and his successors created ksatrapas and mahaksatrapas. These were royal officials permitted to speak with viceregal authority. However, this also created powerful centrifugal tendencies. The mahaksatrapas of Mathura, particularly the (in)famous kingmaker Hagana, provide a particularly prominent example of how a strong satrap could become a nearly independent nation unto themselves. These powerful officials could themselves appoint officials, including officers entitled “strategos” and “meridarchos” who themselves further particularized royal authority in the region by acting with increasing autonomy.

As can be seen from the titles of these positions, the Saka of India inherited Greek institutions and they preserved them. They retained the grid-plan layout of cities and the ornate columned temples of the Greeks, although even under the Indo-Greeks, Indian touches had begun sneaking into the architecture - ogee arches and lotus motifs blending into the temples with increasing regularity. Greek remained a lingua franca for trade and administration - a language with privileged status which in turn privileged those who could speak it fluently. Maues' successors gave themselves Greek titles such as "Dikaios" and "Soter” and continued the semi-Hellenized court life that had been such a feature of their illustrious founder's reign. However, each passing generation gave more precedence to Indians - at court, in matters of philosophy, and in matters of culture and religion.

The Saka rulers were patrons of early Buddhism, much as the Greeks before them had been. The philosophical ideas preached by Buddhism may have had some limited appeal to them, but it must be understood that this patronage was primarily pragmatic - the monastic communities had influence and by supporting them, the Saka elites could position themselves not merely as conquerors but as generous benefactors to the community. This patronage would continue even as the Tokhari (whose ruling class was by and large not Buddhist) began to rise in power in the north, and it was tolerated by the Tokhari in the same way that the Saka tolerated all religious practice, where Brahamanical, Jain, Hellenistic, or Iranian. For their own part, they continued the worship of traditional Iranian deities, and represented those deities on their coinage in the traditional Hellenistic way. Over time, the identity of deities would blur more and more, and it becomes difficult, even in temple artwork, to decipher which particular religious tradition a deity comes from - although more often than not this is due to later renovations from the Tokhari imperial era, rather than the Saka era explicitly.

The Saka did face resistance from Indian rulers. Although the Shunga had been growing in power as the Greeks grew increasingly weak, they were once again thrown on the back foot by the warlike efforts of Spalahora. Devabhuti, the last Shunga king, was killed and Pataliputra was sacked in 75 BCE, leaving his minister Vasudeva Kanva to ride north from Vidisha in central India and attempt to restore order in the region. This attempt failed as well, and the minister was killed a year later. With Pataliputra in ruins, political power on the Gangetic plain for the time being would shift north to Mathura. It was in this period, where Indian resistance to the northern invaders was at its nadir, that the legendary King Vikramaditya would (supposedly) defeat the Saka and establish a kingdom around Ujjain. However, there is no historical evidence for this - to the extent that such a King existed, he was either a Malava feudatory of the Saka or a more southernly warlord who carved out his own indigenous state during the anarchy of the initial Saka conquests. In either event, the deeds of this warlord, even if true, would be undercut by the rising power of the more historically well-attested Satavahana dynasty.

Indigenous efforts at resistance, successful or otherwise, had little effect on the Saka confederacy. Generally the Indian powers of the age fought on the defensive and rarely made any substantial incursion into Saka territory. Instead, the ultimate collapse of the Saka hegemony in northern India is directly attributable to the rise of the Tokhari Empire. Two decades before Maues arrived on the scene and seized Taxila, the embryonic Tokhari state had begun asserting an increasingly centralized and settled character. By 100 BCE it had its own royal mints and treasuries, printing coins glorifying Basileos Kasala (later “Basileos Basileon Kasala Aniketos”). The Ywati, whose conquests made that empire possible, were becoming part of a broader, semi-Hellenized ruling class alongside Bactrian, Tokharian, and Saka peoples. This assimilation did not erase the Ywati. On the contrary, it provided an opportunity for them to place themselves at the center of royal myth and become the founders of an enduring Central Asian dynastic cycle.

For this new growing power, Northern India represented a logical extension of its political hegemony - a wealthy region and one whose rulers, like the Indo-Greeks before them were becoming increasingly divided and vulnerable. Although the Saka experienced relatively few civil wars, their style of Kingship permitted innumerable rivals and partners, all of whom had to be appeased and cajoled in order for royal power to be properly exercised. Great Satraps like Liaka Kuzulaka in Chukhsa and Hagana in Mathura became kingmakers and arbiters in their own rights. Their tradition of joint monarchy and innumerable viceroys facilitated rulership of a vast political terrain, but it also meant that in the event of a palace coup there were no shortage of viable replacements with royal blood and their own lofty title to grant them legitimacy. Accordingly, ambitious or centralizing Kings, such as Azes, were curtailed by powerful factions. Azes' successors would have even less luck - they tended to be rapidly murdered by those who wanted to retain their autonomy.

Safety for these latter rulers generally meant focusing on patronage of temple sites, dabbling in the latest Hindu, Greek, and Buddhist scholarship, and avoiding controversial decisions while delegating important matters to ever more powerful satrapal rulers. As these satraps and provincial officials became in charge of distributing the spoils of raids and governance alike, they began to retain more and more practical loyalty than the distant Great King of Kings. Competing factions rapidly emerged based on tribal lines and proximity to royal power. In time, these factions would decide, to their ultimate detriment, that the Tokhari, rather than a foriegn imperial threat, represented an arbiter and a tool to be used in these disputes.

Tokhari interventions became more common after the death of Azes in 62 BCE. After almost a generation of outright Saka rule, the network of satraps, ministers, and sub-kings created by the Saka were no more definite than they were when Maues had crossed into Gandhara. Into this ever-shifting political framework, the Tokhari promised stability and assurances that traditional rights and powers would be respected. Even if satrapies and high offices were not hereditary, Kasala Aniketos and his successors promised more definite rules and expectations, and offered to destroy rivals in exchange for submission - a policy which undermined the unity of the Saka with astonishing rapidity. The Tokhari further provided military force to shore up weakening frontiers and tamp down restive Indian vassals. But more than anything, it was fear that prompted the acquiescence of the great Saka lords - fear that if they did not accept a Tokhari offer, their rivals would, and they would in turn be destroyed. So they rapidly abandoned their autonomy in the face of the Tokhari, who within another decade had established permanent garrisons in what were nominally the “royal capitals” of the Saka and were appointing their own people to high offices with impunity.

Thus, the Saka who followed Maues through his conquest of India, despite being far more numerous, and arriving in a far richer region than the Ywati, did not begin the Central Asian dynastic cycle. Their own achievements, although substantial, appear in the fullness of history to be little more than a prelude of what was to come. However, without the Saka to lay the groundwork, it is possible that the Tokhari Empire would never have come to fruition. The Tokhari were transformed by Northern India and the Saka. Prior to their arrival on the subcontinent, their confederation was far less organized and developed in character than that of the Saka - both on account of the greater potential for pastoral nomadism in their homelands and on account of the fact that they had not learned the lessons that the chaotic and decentralized Saka state would teach them. Afterwards, the conquering Tokhari were fundamentally changed.

[1] You’ll see. I wanted to detail India first, at the expense of strict continuity. We will go back and discuss the rise of the Tokhari in the next post. I know that doesn't make sense now, but bear with me. I think the framework laid by the Saka will present an interesting parallel to the rise of the Tokhari Empire.

Last edited:
This is an amazing story, can't believe it took me this long to find it. Please, do continue. :biggrin:

Thank you!

Also, a more general update: I have made some edits to the Arsacid succession at the suggestion of John7755.

The timeline now acknowledges the eight month reign of Bagasis I between Phraates II and Artabanus II. It is then Bagasis' (ATL) son Orodes who takes power in the wake of Mithridates' death and leads his people against the King of Characene.