On a scale of 1-5 stars, how do you rate this TL

• 1 star (terrible)

• 2 stars

• 3 stars

• 4 stars

• 5 stars (awesome)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Revolution- Burning of Montreal
P5iySChz2ErjTRt8VAucTYEYq0yu1i-WXB30u3fX9ewzFGoAkDoH4A3O6pvJDWH4G2ZNlUj34C2FRGuu-tE7F6fYUsCezbUsdRYt8jEqLJSK1-nGL2v_R0-tPHsP8oBARWlMLYcM

Ne’er before had the flames of warfare turned so badly against the British
-King George III

The Revolution started in Montreal
-George Washington

He had repeatedly denied the citizens of these fair colonies the Freedom of Religion
-Thomas Jefferson’s Declaration of Independence.

CHAPTER I: REVOLUTION
THE BURNING OF MONTREAL
The world of the 18th Century was a world defined by conflicts of European nations and their efforts to make profit off of their colonies. The Seven-years war was the defining conflict of the Century, and ended an Era, for in its aftermath, mistakes would be made from which none could recover. As a result of poor genetics and the practice of insest so common among European Royals, King George III was doomed from the start. He would be diagnosed with a mental illness in 1802, but is speculated to have had one as early as the 1760’s.

The Seven-years war, also known as the French and Indian War in America, started out of a border dispute in the Pennsylvania colony of Great Britain. The French held claims in Louisiana, Ohio, and Quebec. A Virginia militia, captained by a young George Washington, would fire on a French settlement in Pennsylvania. The shot he fired started a war that would set in motion a series of events that no one could predict.

The actual war itself was relatively straightforward. Britain just out-spent the French. This would cost them dearly. In the war’s aftermath, French holdings in North America evaporated. Britain took control of everything east of the Mississippi, while the Spanish took what was to the West. Quebec even received the status of a colony. Britain holdings were complete. However, debts were huge. The nation already taxed its residents 25% of their earning per capita. Then, Lord North, Prime Minister of the nation, had a genius idea on how to reduce the debt. Tax the colonies.

Before the taxation, the colonists saw themselves as the 13 colonies, plus Quebec. When Great Britain started initiating taxes targeting both groups, they began to unite themselves. The ‘United’ Colonies of America evolved into the United States of America, a hypothetical nation-state made of former British provinces. Taxes acted Sugar and common household items and eventually even religion. Non-anglicans had to pay a 60 pound yearly tax in order to not be imprisoned. Leaders from across the country, most especially New England and Quebec, formed the Sons of Liberty to attempt to free themselves from the British Empire. They just needed the perfect moment to strike. A new act to be seen as the last straw. They would get that soon enough.

The Tea Act would tax tea, and it was a 7 pence tax per pound of tea. Many Americans protested by not buying the goods, but for the Sons of Liberty, this was their opportunity. They raided 6 ships in Boston Harbor, throwing thousands of pounds into the sea. London was ticked. Americans were fired up.

From there, it was destined to turn into war. The Continental Congress of the United States met in Philadelphia. They decided they would need to plan an eventual break-away, but they knew they would need help. Only 40% of Colonists supported Independence, of those most where in New England and Quebec. Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and Thomas Paine used their skills in writing to attempt to change the number, and they would write a plea to Europeans. Their cries did not fall on deaf ears. France felt a sting of pain seeing what their former citizens were forced to put up with, and more than willing to get payback for the French and Indian War. Secret negotiations were set up between Philadelphia and Paris. France agreed to join the rebels if they proved that they could be a legitimate nation. Britain was busy too. The British decided to strike the rebel armories at Lexington and Concord. Capture the armories, take Samuel Adams (the leader of the Sons of Liberty) captive, and put an end to the insurgency. All went well until…

Paul Revere, a Boston native, spied out and discovered the British plan. He rode ahead of the Redcoat soldiers, hoping to alert the minutemen. The rebels assaulted the British forces in Concord, which led to new events in Philadelphia. Congress would begin to plan an independence movement, but they first needed an army. America was home to two competent military leaders, George Washington of Virginia and Benedict Arnold of Connecticut. George Washington was highly experienced in the Virginia militia and Benedict Arnold had Quebecios family, which therefore would help erase the final lines of difference between Quebec and the lower colonies. Washington and Arnold started by capturing the city of Boston, which the British never expected to hold. The British knew two cities would be crucial to keep America; Montreal and New York City. They went northward to Montreal, where they knew the rebels would only get troops from the south. They hoped to supply Halifax to launch attacks on New England and New York, with the army previously in Boston comfortably holding Montreal, the capital of Quebec. The British attacked the city and took it easily as the colonial army, the Continental Army, was not yet in Quebec. The British quickly took Quebec City, to build on what momentum they had.

Washington and Arnold planned to march on Quebec, then Montreal, and beat the forces of the British in a European style. Washington was well-educated in the rules of European warfare, but would need to abandon this later in the war. Arnold, on the other hand, knew well the terrain of the region and knew that Britain would only survive in the region if they had a city. Without one, they would wander in an unknown terrain, guaranteeing a rebel victory. Arnold knew well the army could not flat out attack Quebec and Montreal and win, but he had a plan to make sure the British could not hold the city. His plan was simple, get rid of the city. On the march through New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, and later Quebec, he formulated a plan. Wait until he was a few hours outside the city of Quebec, then ride to the home of his cousin. From there, he would get Quebec’s Sons of Liberty to burn the city and drive British troops from the ruins. Not the entire city had to be burned, just the region outside of the British barracks. While the city burnt, he would borrow his cousin's horse and get the Quebec-facing part of Montreal to appear to be on fire, giving the illusion that the British had no place to run. From there, he would get the Sons of Liberty in Montreal as well as the local minutemen to trap the British on the St. Lawrence River. Trapped on one side by water, two side by an army, and a final side by freezing Canadian woodlands in the winter, they would eliminate the entire British force in Quebec, all before breakfast. He left his camp on December 30th, 1775, and rode to Quebec City. When George Washington awoke, he was shocked to see Arnold gone, but assumed he had deserted. He would be in for a surprise when he saw the British fleeing the city, which was on fire. He later found Arnold’s Journal, detailing his plans. He could only hope that Arnold’s plan went, well, according to plan.

“I am a mastermind. Why wouldn’t Washington listen?” Benedict Arnold thought to himself as he dismounted his horse. His 2nd Cousin’s wife came out to meet Arnold.

“Oh, Benedict, why are you here? If the British see…”

“I know, I’ll be hung. However, I need to speak to your husband, or we are both doomed to a nuse.” Arnold’s sister-in-law went inside, with Benedict following.

“Benedict, what are you doing here in Quebec?”

“Official business of the Continental Army.” Arnold said sternly.

“Oh, not for friendly conversation? I see. I can’t exactly throw more tea into a harbor, I’m inland in Quebec! What do you want?” Baptiste was lighthearted, and usually Arnold was too. The conversation died down as they heard footsteps of guards outside Baptiste’s home. When the footsteps died down, Arnold delivered his message.

“Do you remember George Washington? He was appointed by Congress.”

“Yes, I’m guessing you're not too fond of having an equal?”

“He’s just outside the city, with a few thousands men.”

Baptiste was taken aback, shocked by the news.”What does that have to do with me?”

“Just your life. The army is doomed unless you help me.”

Suddenly, Baptiste grasped the gravity of the situation. “What do you need me to do?”

“Gather the members of the Sons of Liberty and burn the city.”

“WHAT?” Baptiste was shocked, but continued on. “This is our beloved city! Our families have been here since the French owned this land!”

“Shh. You must. For all one and a half million people who live on this land. They deserve better than this. They deserve to be equal all of them. From the slaves of the South to the Puritans of the North. Besides, only burn the parts in which the British take refugee. I must ride on to Montreal now”

“Yes. Liberty or Death.”

“Liberty or Death.” Arnold left and rode on to Montreal to a leader of the sons of liberty their. He accomplished what he needed there, and led a charge of soldiers against the British. The Battle of the St. Lawrence was easily won by the Patriots, but at a cost. Arnold had been shot in the head. He died in the early hours of New Years Eve, 1775. His last word where; “Liberty or Death.”

Welcome to An American Oddity; the History of the American Oligarchy
A.A.O. is inspired off of a few possible modifications to the 1760's, 1770's, and 1780's and how that would have effected the history of America and of the world. The American Revolution would lead to the founding of one of the greatest nations on earth, but mistakes were made. But what if things went better? What if America was controlled by several people rather than a single president? What if the Religious and Ethnic discrimination that defined early America never existed? What if Benedict Arnold never betrayed the U.S.? These, and many more, are explored and mapped out in An American Oddity; the History of the American Oligarchy. I won't focus solely on the United States, as the butterflies effect even the most distant corners of the world, such as Europe and Asia. Even regions of the world like Australia have different names. I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Arnold was the mastermind of the Revolution
-Jean Baptiste II

It is my hope that the British have a good nights sleep
-from the Journal of Benedict Arnold

Quebec was the door for the fall of the British Empire
-Prince, later King George IV of Great Britain

ARNOLD'S MASTER PLAN
Benedict Arnold was a mastermind. He was appointed, as Co-Commander in Chief with Washington. Until 1775, he was scared of total war. Then he visited the ranks of the troops on the march to Canada. He saw disease, he saw death. Any sheltered life he once knew vanished. He was pro-anything that had to do with these men. These men where determined to overthrown the Monarchy in America. This finally convinced him to go all in. On the way North, he masterminded a two man plot. He would wait until they where a few miles outside Montreal, go to his brother-in-law Jean Baptiste II home, and ask him to burn down Montreal.

It was extremist. However, Montreal was a center for the British. After the French and Indian war, French leaders left. Except Baptiste. Britain thought they suppressed Quebec into 'just another colony.' They hadn't. They maintained a French identity. They maintained a Catholic identity. Initially, they hated the British colonists to the South. That was until Britain started attempting to suppress all the colonies. When the British suppressed the Catholic faith, the Quebecois felt for the Puritans and Quakers to the south. And they all where in the same taxation boat. The Sons of Liberty where very large in Quebec. Outside New England, it was largest in Quebec.

December 30th, 1775 11:15 P.M.
“Mr. Baptiste, a pleasure to meet with you.”

“Mr. Arnold, how are you?"

"I am doing, cold?"

"Ha! Often the reaction you southerners get here. What are you here for?"

“George Washington. Have you heard of him?”

"He's shy of the most famous man on this continent, of course I've heard of him." Although Baptiste's face lit up, Arnold's fell.

"He is sleeping two miles south of us right now. His army will invade tomorrow morning. I would have written to you, but my plot is too dangerous."

"What's wrong?"

"My plan involves my death."

"What?!"

"No, not suicide. Get the Sons of Liberty to set the city on fire. Then I'll ride by horse to Quebec. I'll get them to do the same thing. I'll be on the front lines. The British will be sandwiched between the two cities. I will lead the march to wipe out the British army. I'll probably get shot."

"I, I, can't do this."

"You must. For all one and a half million people who live on this land. They deserve better than this. They deserve to be equal all of them. From the slaves of the South to the Puritans of the North."

That night, local leader Jean Baptiste would get his neighbors and others to start burning bits of the town. Other leaders also met with Arnold. The city was entirely in flames by 3:00, the few British guards awake subdued, and the British chased out of the city. Blocks upon blocks. The British soldiers where chased out. As for Arnold, he rode ahead to Montreal to alert them of the British being chased out of the city. Montreal was quickly taken and armed, and Arnold was killed in the crossfire that also wiped a majority of Britain’s sleepiest army. He would be called, “The Father of French Canada.” That morning, Washington saw what Arnold's journals called, ‘Sleepy flames’ in action. Washington took advantage. Britain had lost essential supplies, but where not defeated. It would be six months until they returned. Six months to arm Manhattan.

EDIT #1: This chapter was part of An American Oddity from December 2019 to March 2020. It was removed due to vigorous editing in the first chapter that eventually absorbed all content in this chapter, or I, the TL owner, have decided that it is no longer needed.

Last edited:
Will be taken in the future, however, not by Washington's Army.

What do you think?
My goals where to make early America as big as possible, with a form of government I've rarely seen. Does it seem believable

Last edited:
Revolution- The Deceleration of Independence
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are create equal, and are endowed by there creator with certain unalienable rights, among these are life, liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
-from The Deceleration of Independence

This paper will change the world

-Samuel Adams, Mass. delegate to the 1st and 2nd Continental Congresses

This meaningless junk will cost them their lives
-King George III of Great Britain

THE DECELERATION OF INDEPENDENCE
The victory in Quebec finally got all Americans on board with the radical idea Samuel Adams was pushing in Congress. Seeing this surge in support, Samuel Adams proposed his cousin, John Adams, also of Massachusetts, write the document. John Hancock, President of the Convention, wanted to make sure his newly-formed Country lasted. In order to do this, he made a four-man commission in charge of writing the document. John Adams would represent New England. Benjamin Franklin, the Middle Colonies, Thomas Jefferson, the South, and Jean Baptiste II Quebec and Canada. He also secretly told Thomas Jefferson, who he suspected would do most of the writing, to include the phrase, the United States of America.

Jean Baptiste had been elected two days following the Montreal and Quebec battles, and stayed until January 7th for Benedict Arnold's funeral in New York. He rode into Philadelphia on January 15th, and the four men met in an upper room of the Congress's meetinghouse, later nicknamed Liberty Hall, to write the Deceleration. A fifth man, James Madison, transcribed the meeting.

from The Congressional Log, January 1776, pg. 137
Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Jean Baptiste and Benjamin Franklin sat in a room, with a monumental task before them.

Franklin broke the silence. "Whats the fanciest way to say, 'We are declaring independence from the bully that is Britain'?'"

Adams made a joke, "Is their?"

Jefferson was annoyed. "Gentleman, this is very important business. Cut the jokes. I've been working on something. Do you all want to here it?"

"I've heard your one of the most gifted writers this side of the Atlantic. Please, go on." Baptiste spoke in a hard French accent, which made Adams cringe.

"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary to dissolve the political bands which have connected two people to each other, and to assume among all the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect for mankind requires they state the reasons which so impel them to the separation." Jefferson recited from a sheet of notes he had brought into the room.

"Reason 1: No Taxation without representation." Adams said.

"Reason 2: Religious discrimination." Baptiste said

"How about this," Jefferson continued, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and are endowed by there Creator with certain unalienable rights, among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men."

They went on to write the greatest document in history.

Last edited:
Will be taken in the future, however, not by Washington's Army.

What do you think?
My goals where to make early America as big as possible, with a form of government I've rarely seen. Does it seem believable
There is such a thing as making the country too big, but conceivably getting Canada does not qualify as such in my opinion. However, I'm not sure why destroying Quebec City, or parts thereof, make the British substantially weaker when Halifax is an important naval base during this period too. Logistics for the revolutionaries are going to be a nightmare. Keep that in mind.

Don't worry. The British are temporarily delayed, but will come back strong. France will join in soon.

Halifax: Although a great naval base, it is on an island. Amphibious warfare is hard in any timeline (Norman Conquest, Normandy landing) and a land base will be needed. Also, a French back Irish rebellion destracts Britain closer to home, as well as full war with France, the Netherlands, and Portugal. Not likely, but possible.

Secondly, local Frenchman join in the fight ITTL. And, once the Canadian campaign is over, the only military campaign waged by the Americans will be heavily Dutch-Portuegese-French infused. Probably a good time to say Spain will join Britain after seeing what America did to Quebec. Also, burning Quebec City doesn't the fact the they are not ready, it is the middle of the night, and are now behind enemy lines makes it difficult. Being routed inward towards Montreal doesn't improve the circumstance. It was a bad move, but it was also early in the morning. Are you going to make the best decisions at 5:00 A.M.?

Revolution- The Defense
A surprise military victory gave Washington an advantage. When the Redcoats marched to Montreal, they left behind ships. Of course, Washington took the ships. He knew that help from France was soon to come, but until then, he needed to defend key American cities, chiefest of these being New York. He built a base on Staten Island known as Ft. Benedict Arnold. He also centered the seven of eight captured ships in New York harbor, sending the eighth to New England for shipbuilding. Defenses were built on Long Island, Manhattan, the New Jersey coast, all with Arnold (as locals called it) at the head.

Many other cities were considered crucial. Philadelphia, Boston, Quebec, Charleston, Williamsburg, and Wilmington were all considered crucial. Barracks went up fast, especially in the South and New England where everyone wanted independence. Even a few loyalist caught on to independence when (drum roll please) France, the Netherlands, and some small German states all decided the rebels where a cause worth helping. In addition, even though not willing to directly get involved, Prussia, Austria, and Bohemia all wanted to send supplies. This led to Spain, who felt threatened, fought against Americans and the British. Suddenly, the American Revolution turned into a Seven Years War do-over, with fighting in Florida, Louisiana, and Northern Spain all ensuing.

In the Battle of Caracas, Most of Eastern South America fell into the hands of the Dutch and French (combined with German and American forces, became the Allied Powers)

France made a mighty move in Europe. A group of troops from Lyon attacked and laid siege to Barcelona in hopes of taking the city. They did. This led to Spain keeping troops from the New World in a hopeless defense when Portugal fought Spain. Mexicans in the New World mostly felt abuse, and fought back.

Speaking of the New World, Washington was using everything to his advantage. He had beautifully defended his cities, with the only place Brits made landfall where in Portland, Massachusetts and Florida. However, will French and Dutchmen defended Savannah, Washington and his new best bud, Henry Knox, led a two part attack on Florida, Louisiana, and Mexico. With a ethnically diverse army, he attacked New Orleans on July 4th, 1776. On July 5th, the city fell. Knox went East, taking Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa, and Ft. Lauderdale in July and August, while Washington quickly took Galveston on July 14th, but slowly took Monterrey on August 1st. By August 14th, Veracruz had fallen. Frenchmen had also taken Mexico City, leaving one jewel left to defend in the Spanish and British empires... Havana.

On August 23rd, Six countries fought for Havana. The battle lasted until All Hallows Eve on October 31st. Spain and Britain surrendered, taking heavy loses. Good thing too, because the Allies were having trouble note running out of food. In the next threadmark, the war ends in the Treaty of Copenhagen.

Last edited:
Revolution- the Treaty of Copenhaugen
Just as quickly as it had begun, the war (later called the War for the Americas.) was over. The Treaty of Copenhagen surrendered the Pyrenees mountains in Spain to France, but Spain kept Barcelona. Aside from that, America was heavily redrawn. In the Caribbean, the new U.S. got the Western half of Cuba, while Spain kept the East. Then in Central America, France got the remainder of the Viceroy of New Spain, with Spain keeping the Central American Isthmus.) America got everything from the tropic of cancer northward (except Russia).

The global aftermath was equivalently harsh damage everywhere else. Spain was on the verge of collapse, and would collapse by 1850. Britain was in an economic depression, until Navy captain James Cook discovered Georgeland south of Dutch East Asia. France, Portugal, and the Netherlands had a booming economy. German states even considered banning for a more powerful replacement to the Holy Roman Empire.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Spain would join the war on the side of Great Britain, especially given that the British at this time in OTL hold Florida, and Spain would rather not see Louisiana go back to France. .

Maybe ITTL, they could try doing an improved version of the Articles of Confederation? Maybe go for a pure councilist system of government like with the Roman Republic? I.E., no central leader at all.

To Jeff Goldplum: I didn't realize the HRE was still around, but it still is probably pretty weak.

To Wendell: Quebec was not considered one of the 13 colonies, and Spain saw that if the U.S. were formed, its holdings in Louisiana would be threatened, not to say Tejas or Mexico.

To Igeo654: There won't be a central leader like the President. Really just people who monitor Congress, and then separate people who enforce laws, with a low-power figurehead (not a king) elected to be a national spokesman.

Merry Christmas Eve and Happy Hanukah!

To Jeff Goldplum: I didn't realize the HRE was still around, but it still is probably pretty weak.

To Wendell: Quebec was not considered one of the 13 colonies, and Spain saw that if the U.S. were formed, its holdings in Louisiana would be threatened, not to say Tejas or Mexico.

To Igeo654: There won't be a central leader like the President. Really just people who monitor Congress, and then separate people who enforce laws, with a low-power figurehead (not a king) elected to be a national spokesman.

Merry Christmas Eve and Happy Hanukah!
Britain and especially France are bigger threats to Spain's colonies.

and France had just joined the Americans, and if a alliance with Britain is formed, they could be stable. Also, the Portugese threat from the south is considerable.

Revolution- Battle of New Orleans
George Washington was hoping to have the element of surprise over New Orleans. He knew his American nation would desire the Louisiana region, best just to get it now, he thought.

As he reached New Orleans in the dead of night, he made his famous crossing of the Mississippi. On July 4th, 1776, he invaded the French quarter, where he picked up troops. By July 5th, the city was fallen.

A messenger rode to Washington. Baton Rouge had surrendered without a fight. Henry Knox spoke.

"We lost 50 men in the battle. I suggest I led an assault into Florida, say I attack Mobile, Pensacola, and Tallahassee, while you take Galveston, San Antonio, and Monterrey. Then you take Veracruz and I take Tampa. From there we lead an attack on Havana. What do you say?"

"Seems good. Lets do it."

Lusitania

Donor
Sorry I am completely lost. The politics, alliances make no sense and are not even realistic. Portugal would not join any coalition against Britain. spain wanted Minorca Nd other British territories and would not join a Protestant country.

how would the continental army be able to do that. I was just visiting Philadelphia last week and went through the museum of freedom and it really emphasized my idea that Washington in Quebec is not feasible.

why would Washington go there when thousands of British in New England and rest of 13 colonies.

So sorry I will follow other posters and state that neither the fighting nor politics make any sense.