On a scale of 1-5 stars, how do you rate this TL

• 1 star (terrible)

• 2 stars

• 3 stars

• 4 stars

• 5 stars (awesome)

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Rise of Politics Part 2: The Brazilian Civil War
Slavery was all but dead in the Old World. Even in Spain's new world colonies it was all but dead. However, conflict was building in Brazil. The Southern part was less dependent upon slavery and moved for its abolishment. The North was against this, and war broke out. Simon Bolivar, a leader in the Spanish colonies pushed for the South to win and even helped them reach this endeavor. He even got 4 seats for Spain's colonies in Madrid, from Mexico, Columbia, Argentina, and the Caribbean. In America, people began to get concerned that this would foreshadow the future. Delaware began to abolish slavery by redeeming slave owners for the freedom of their slaves.

Plantation outside Dover, DE

"Slaves, gather." The plantation owner said.
"The state is abolishing slavery. I am letting you free."
Slaves shouted for joy.
"However, I'll pay you if you stay on the plantation."
Slaves shouted louder.

This was the beginning of sharecropping in America.

The Rise of Politics Part 2: Jefferson Era (Part 1 of 4)
Election Day, November 4th, 1812
"Mr. Madison, do you have the results?"
"Yes, Mr. Jefferson, I do. You received most of the southern vote, with votes from Quebec and New Brunswick as well. You have barely won against Adams."
"Well, I guess New Brunswick finally tired of those Federalists. What is the rest?"
"Stephen Dectaur won the Chair of the Navy..."
"The guy from the Laffeyattic War?"
"Yes. The Hero of Havana, Andrew Jackson won the Army..."
"No suprise there. Everyone from Canada to Cork loves him."
"Some man named Daniel Webster won the Chair of Justice."
"Alright, alright. We can handle a Federalist."
"I won the Chair of the Treasury, so we can finally let state banks have a say in, well, anything."
"Haha, too bad you couldn't be Chair of State again. Who did win that?"
"James Monroe."
"Who won the speaker of the House? Or the Senate pro tempore?"
"In the House, a Republican canadite..."
"Ugh, those party backstabbers!"
"Henry Clay was elected. In the Senate, a hardcore Democrat was elected, John C. Calhoun, of South Carolina."
"I didn't quite realize they existed. What are party majorities?"
"In the House, Republicans have a majority, sweeping most western states and some Northern. The Democrats are next, with huge South, and the Federalists are barely shy of them. It comes out to be around a 40-30-30% difference. The Senate, the Democrats have a majority, beating Republicans and Federalists by quite a bit."
"Well then, let it begin."

Last edited:
The Rise of Politics Part 2: Jefferson Era (Part 2 of 4)
Although Jefferson was the Executive Chair, his want for a small power government opened the door to new faces, more fully allowing Oligarchy. Daniel Webster was one of them. And he would create a very large dispute.

Session of the 17th Congress of the United States of America, April 7th, 1812
"I hereby call this Session of the 17th Congress of the United States of America to order." Calhoun hit a mallet
"The first order on the agenda is the appointment of the next Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, following the unfortunate assassination of John Marshall..."
(John Marshall had been shot by a Jefferson supported who went mad.)
"The Chair of Justice Daniel Webster has nominated former Chair of the Treasury, Constitutional Chair, and the former Executive Chair Alexander Hamilton."
Applause rise, and boos cried. Calhoun hit a mallet again.
"I would like to nominate William Henry Harrison!" A Huron Senator cried.
"We want Hamilton!" A New York senator cried
"For Louis-Joseph Papineau!" A New Brunswick man shouted.
"To order, to order. I recognize the gentleman from Virginia." Calhoun stated.

A Virginia gentleman rose to speak. As a Federalist from a Democrat state, James Stephenson was somewhat between Federalists and Democrats. He was, in belief, a Federalist, but was Democrat-leaning enough to win statewide support.

"I would like to nominate John Quincy Adams, of Braintree, Massachusetts, for the position."

The move would be smart for the Federalists. Hamilton would even draw away a few Federalists, and considering they would need a decently sized Republican vote to get a Federalist in the Court, they decided the best move would be the far more attractive Adams, a former Chair of the Army and led the U.S. through wartime. Indeed, he was a household name.

However, it was a Democrat majority. This meant that they would likely nominate a Democrat. However, Canada was on the edge between all three political parties. Perhaps they would gain votes by putting Louis-Joseph Papineau of Superior, one of the newer states. Besides, they would need to preserve Harrison for future office.

The Republicans would also need a Canadian to get anywhere. British immigrant Isaac Brock was who they put up.

Several minutes later, a vote was prepared.

"All in favor of John Quincy Adams of Massachusetts, say aye."

24 ayes where recorded.

"All in favor of Louis-Joseph Paineau of Superior, say aye."

33 ayes where recorded.

"All in favor of Isaac Brock of Quebec say aye."

5 ayes where recorded. Many Republicans broke to supported Paineau, far more popular than Brock. Two senators abstained, partially because they (being Paineau and Brock) where being voted on. Daniel Webster met with Paineau in the Federal District, where Webster allowed him into office with the Senates blessing. However, that wasn't the only thing going on in America at the time. Stephen Dectaur, a veteran of the Laffeyatic and Napoleonic Wars, had led an attack on Dublin, as well as played a role in defending Texas. He would be crucial in growing Central American disputes.

America was a powerhouse for the French alliance. The United States and Brazil where the only independent nations on the continent, and where hardcore for France. The rest was primarily Spanish, with some French in former Mexico. Britain had control of several islands, including Jamaica and had claim to part of Central America. Also, Russia claimed control of the entire territory constituting American-held Baja California, Alta California, and Oregon. Decatur worked with Jackson to rebuild fortifications to these areas, as well as exploring the possibility to conquer Alaska. Arnoldsville, Washington City, San Diego, and the Jefferson-Hamilton Bay (officially the American Bay) where beefed up, with troops crossing French mexico and using ships to go around Cape Horn.

7.5 million people lived in America. Of those, about 1 million where slaves. Chair of State James Madison had banned the importation of slaves in 1807, and states where beginning to divide on the issue. Southern states, almost uniformly Angelican, supported slavery. Up north, other religions, including Quakers, Catholics, and Puritans declared it evil. A powder keg was set. Keep this in mind.

Finally, James Monroe pumped life into an African colony, which is where Southern states proposed freed slaves go. However, New England and Quebec where against this. So, in 1813, the Van Buren Civil Rights Act would cause controversy.

Last edited:
The Rise of Politics Part 2: Jefferson Era (Part 3 of 4)
Martin Van Buren was a Representative from New York. He was famous in the North for his anti-slavery status. In 1813, he proposed a controversial bill which would a, ban slavery in all commonwealths and territories, and b, create a plan for slaves to be freed by the government offering to pay $500 per freed slave. The Federalist where in full support of it, the Democrats where neutral on the concept. The two leaders of the Republican Party where in disagreement.

Office of the Chair of the Army, Federal District, June 17th, 1813
"Speaker Clay, welcome." Andrew Jackson, Chair of the Army, welcome Speaker of the House Henry Clay into his office.

"Pleasure to meet with you, Chair Jackson."

"Enough formalities. We both know why we are here. What is stupid Martin doing? Doesn't he know he's gonna..."

"Andrew, I know, I know. I sit with him every day in Congress. When he proposed that bill yesterday, I started a stopwatch to see how long we are from Civil War."

"What is your stance?"

"When possible as speaker, I prefer a neutral political stance on slavery."

"Many northerners see it as a morale issue. What is your morale stance?" Jackson was pushing his inquiry, further than Clay would have liked. Clay began to sweat a little.

"I, I don't like it." Clay responded nervously.

"What do you mean, you don't like it?"

"I disagree with it. The entire idea of putting another man in bondage makes me sick to the stomach. I freed my slaves as soon as Kentucky made it legal in 1804 to free them. Most of those slaves went South to Mexico, where they went to French Yucatan. I've been free of slaves since." Clay seemed a little stronger.

"Well, you know we can't make that the party stance."

"What is your view on Slavery, Andrew?"

Caught off-guard, the War Chair, went with the truth, "I have slaves back at the Hermitage. It is clearly a necessary evil. I've felt uncomfortable about it, but how am I supposed to take care of my wife without slaves? Or of much else? It is, indeed, a necessary evil."

"We should have no party stance. We can only hope the work of abolish is left for someone else aside from us."

"Yes."

With no party stance, the republicans split along regional lines. The bill was shot down. However, James Monroe was the one with the real struggles. Central America began to escalate into much more of a problem. The Russian Navy showed up in Arnoldsville on day, and skirmishes where breaking out between French Yucatan and British Honduras. Monroe desperately tried to solve the problem. He tried to negotiate a border with Russia, and to make a treaty between Britain and France.

The Rise of Politics Part 2: Jefferson Era (Part 4 of 4)
"Cancel the voyage. It is in Jackson hands now."
-James Monroe

"Attack those American idiots in Cuba. No, sink them."
-(acting) King George IV in his orders to the H.M.S. Leopard

"It was like fire and brimestone was raining in Havana. With the way of the war, it will likely happen again."

-Cuban native

The U.S.S. Benedict Arnold was America's largest ship. It was the flagship of the American Navy. Captained by William Henry Harrison, former governor of Ohio before he got bored of state politics (and denied a Supreme Court seat in the 1811 debacle) and joined the Navy. He was responsible for the defense of the Gulf of Mexico, and was in command of 12 of the U.S. Navies 40 warships. The U.S.S. Benedict Arnold was stationed outside of Havana, with the U.S.S. Kentucky, U.S.S. John Adams, and the U.S.S. Massachusetts. Havana was expected to be throw into war sometime soon. Harrison had no idea it would be this soon.

Captains Quarters of the U.S.S. Benedict Arnold, outside Havana, Cuba, August 12th, 1814

BOOM!

A cannon outside roared. William Henry Harrison awoke from his slumber. He ran outside of his cabin, and found on of his subordinates.

"What the..."

BOOM!

"...is happening!?"

"The H.M.S. Leopard has attacked!"

"What the..."

BOOM!

"The attacked the starboard side about ten minutes ago. They are trying to take the harbor!"

"I picked that up when you said they where attacking. Where's the..."

BOOM!

"Can the sink the..."

BOOM!

"...ship yet?! Where is the Kentucky? Or the Adams? Or the Massachusetts?"

"On there way. They where on the far side of the harbor."

BOOM!

"Well, all hands on deck!"

BOOM!

"While your at it, sink the..."

BOOM!

"...ship!"

The attack on Havana was issued by the British warship, the H.M.S. Leopard, in an attempt to steal the island of Cuba from American and Spanish hands. James Monroe was in Bermuda en route to London when the attack happened. Shocked at the event, he saw the conflict he had so desperately to avoid bloom into full war, and at the same time wrenched from his hands and put into those of Andrew Jackson. Monroe was never a real fan of Jackson, in fact he thought he would sink the country on the onset of war. The breakout of war ruined the reputation of the great explorer James Monroe, who would never be elected to national office again. However, by the time news spread around the Americas, the battle was not yet finished. The Siege of Havana, as it was retroactively called, lasted twenty-three days, before the H.M.S. Leopard was sunk, with heavy causalities sustained on both sides. American Congress signed a Deceleration of War on October 5th. British Parliament declared war on Christmas Eve, and France, Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Hungary, Greece, and Brazil soon joined the conflict. However, Thomas Jefferson was famously hesitant to sign the Deceleration of War. Monroe, Jackson, and Adams (who was Constitutional Chair) signed on with varying amounts of enthusiasm. Thomas Jefferson wrote this in his journal:

I know of the countries affairs with Great Britain. It was they to whom we pledged our sacred honor to free ourselves from. It was they to whom we fought for survival in the Laffeyatic and Napoleonic Wars. Yet, I am reminded of the late Chair Washington. I feel our country tramples his legacy, as we form our alliances with France and Spain. I love the French, but I love my country more. So I am besieged by the question which rests upon me; to fight and die, or maintain peace and let our ships be destroyed by His Magesties Royal Navy.

Thomas Jefferson signed the Deceleration. However, the Navy and the Army where inadequately fit as far as men went. Jefferson had slashed the size of the Army and Navy, and had only kept the Navy due to Adams protest. Although glad to have kept the Navy, he needed to build an army. America had fought three wars in thirty years, and it manpower was drained. Jefferson forced states to supply quotas of men to the army and navy. And when he still couldn't get enough men, he resulted to most desperate measures. He enlisted Native Americans from around the country. He even promised slaves there freedom (and compensation for there masters) if they agreed to enlist. The stage was set for the largest conflict since the Seven years war.

Any advice from anyone one how the war should go? Like generals or campaigns? I have the result of this war planned out, but not quite the exact details of how it will be won. Specifically, a Russian campaign on the West or a British on the East? Or even a Caribbean campaign?

O The Ramparts We Watched: America under attack
Never has the Republic been more threatened then in the War of 1814
-Henry Clay, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives

Battle for Revenge! Revenge for Yorktown! Revenge for Ireland! Revenge for the mothercountry!
-George Prevost, Commander and Chief of British forces in the New World

The Only Mistake the British ever made was losing the Americas. That is a mistake we shall take revenge on.
-King George IV, Hier to the British Throne

O THE RAMPARTS WE WATCHED:
PART I: AMERICA UNDER ATTACK

Although William Henry Harrison was able to defend the harbor of Havana, that was only the opening battle. A five part attack on America was planned. First, an British-led assault on the East Coast aimed at major cities, like Montreal, Quebec, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, and the capitol, the Federal District. Next, a campaign by British allies to conquer Brazil. Third, a Russian attack on the West Coast, Fourth, an assault by Britain and her allies on the Caribbean and the Mississippi, to divide the U.S., and isolate most of its territory. Finally, Britain would try to convince China and Japan to join the war (or at least one of them, preferably China) to attack French Mexico. Masterminded by King George IV, its goal was to take back the United States, and deal a crippling blow to Spain and France. From there, the Dutch colonies in the Caribbean would fall, and it would lead to British world domination. Of course, Britain expected this to be a very large war, so in all declarations, they made sure the war was contained to the American continents, to protect themselves from attack. Britain was also heavily relying on Denmark and Russia for ships, and possibly even using the Ottoman empire to fund a attack separate from the war in the Mediterranean.

Of course, the master plan immediately went into effect. Russia had seen it's New World colony as something minor, until it seemed valuable to form an alliance with Britain. That, and there had to be gold
somewhere in the Rocky Islands. They launched there first assault on Arnoldsville, where they had visited in the Napoleonic Wars. This time, they where successful in there goals. However, the attack on Jefferson and Hamilton cities, also called the American Bay, would be different. A intercity rivalry had brewed up between these small cities, and to not get involved, the U.S. government built a massive fort on an island locals called Alcatraz. The local geography and willpower of the American Navy would led to a massive showdown on Christmas Day, 1814.

Except from the Diary of Winfield Scott, December 25th, 1814

"...It twas a cold Christmas morning, in which we saw the Russians sailing into the bay. They showed little interest in the twin cities of Jefferson and Hamilton, and only here, at Fort California. I was awoken to an empty barracks. The other Brigade-generals where on deck, ordering around troops for the defense of our island. Quickly, by about 8:30 in the morning, it seemed the Russian Navy would indefinitely destroy us. I went to the balcony, where I saw the massive warships with my own eyes, and questioned how they could be second to the British Navy. It is likely unfair to compare them to a navy I have not yet seen, but it was intimidating.

Upon my arrival above deck, I found a subordinate by the name of Zachary Taylor, who updated me upon the status. They estimated 1,200 men aboard the Russian ships, and only 500 on our island. We had sent men ashore the previous day for supplies, and they where yet to have returned.

At 10:25, the ships where within 500 yards of us, and we started to fire cannons at each other. I heard Mr. Taylor say, 'Look at Jefferson, the buildings are collapsing!' Some of the natives to California told me it was normal for quakes to hit the bay, but we started to get concerned when a massive wave rose from the mouth of the bay. I came toward our island, and we evacuated our men to the upper decks. However, the Russian ships sunk into the harbor once the wave capsized the massive warships. It was truly a Christmas miracle..."

The miracle of American bay would later be explained by the two tectonic fault lines near Jefferson and Hamilton cities, or the Twin Cities as many began to call them. When low tide came in, Americans took boats out to the vessels and salvaged much of the ships. The tides where in there lowest for the time, and they had to work fast, but they eventually turned to capsized Russian Warships into 6 American ones, taking 634 men captive, with 433 dead bodies and 33 unaccounted for. It was one of the greatest wins in American history, however, the Eastern and Southern fronts where just starting to heat up.

O The Ramparts We Watched: War in the East
Fire again rained in Montreal
-Amer. General Jacob Brown

The Lion took revenge upon the Eagle
-Historian looking upon the War of 1814

Slaves and their masters rose against us. And we were overwhelmed.
-Diary of a British solider

O THE RAMPARTS WE WATCHED
WAR IN THE EAST
Great Britain launched there attacks very quickly. They sent 60 ships to the New World. 30 would attack the East coast. 20 would attack the South. 10 would be used in other campaigns. First they attacked Quebec City. It was a bloody siege that lasted days, but ended up in a British victory. They left two warships in Quebec after the First Battle of Quebec City. The moved down to Halifax, where they re-seized the city and used it as a military base. King George IV's master plan was working well. All down the American coast, cities where ravaged as the Americans tried to stop there assault. St. John, Bar Harbor, Portland, Portsmouth, and Salem. All where weak. All where insufficient. However, the Battle of Boston was a sufficient American defense. After all, the city of Boston was the cradle of the Revolution. Many still remembered the Boston Massacre, Boston Tea Party, Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, and much more. In addition, it was the homeland of Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, John Adams, and a variety of others. In addition, it was a prime center of the Federalist Party. Federalist leader knew such a defense was needed, and the Democrats and the Republicans did not want a two party system that would divide the country into two pieces. It sounded too close to Civil War.

While the British isolated the bay of Boston, they saw two American forts, Fort Samuel Adams and Fort Paul Revere. Named after Boston revolutionaries, it was the opening gate to Boston. Fort Massachusetts, built in the Revolutionary War, was only two miles away from Harvard University, and had been managed for thirty years. Seven American warships, in addition to hundreds of privately owned gunships, launched on the British ships. This battle would be unique for another reason, the young son of George Washington, George Washington II, battled in Fort Massachusetts, as an entry level solider, starting his 30 year career in the Army. Great Britain attacked Boston on January 16th, 1815, at Fort Paul Revere, the northernmost fortress in the bay.

From The Diary of George Washington II, January 16th, 1815
"I was awoken today by my fellow soldiers, who said Ft. Revere was attacked. They told me to arm the fort in case Ft. Revere fell. Hundreds of ships in the harbor could be seen. Closest to the fort, where primarily American gunboats. Farther out, where primarily British ships. We countered effectively."

George Washington II was not a large writer. Unlike his father, he had great oral health and would be an amazing orator. In the south, America was having problems. Britain knocked out city after city. Tampa, Tallahassee, Mobile. It wasn't until New Orleans that William Henry Harrison stopped the onslaught. In Britain, people where rejoicing. In America, there was a public shaming of the army. The generals from American Bay where brought back to the East. Harrison was one of few generals who kept there jobs. Meanwhile, Winfield Scott rose to power at Fort California. Although initially it seemed like a poor decision, it was one of the wisest decisions of the war.

O The Ramparts We Watched: Elections, Brazilians, and British Silver
Brazil is the America of the South. And the World knows it.
-U.S. Executive Chair Thomas Jefferson

The Election of 1816 was the truest Civil War
-U.S. Speaker of the House of Representatives

Great Britain's first mistake was in America. There second was China
-Emperor Yongyan I

CHAPTER VII: O THE RAMPARTS WE WATCHED
ELECTIONS, BRAZILIANS, AND BRITISH SILVER
The War was starting up in Brazil. Britain wanted a door back into the New World, as did Denmark, the Ottomans, and even a few who wanted to see the Portuguese government restored. First, the full might of the British Navy attacked the Amazon. Then, once they where there, they realized that although the most rebellious part of the republic under the Portuguese, it was not the population center. That, and it was to far from the actual population centers, Rio de Janerio and Sao Paulo. So the entirety of Great Britain took a slap to the face. The first battle of Rio de Janerio was handily won by the Brazilians. The British retreated northeast, where they landed and marched down into Rio proper. The Second battle of Rio de Janerio. The British marched to Sao Paulo, and realized, they where not on their home turf. They where far from it. The British where driven from South America. However, they had never thrown there full might at South America. It was at (North) America. Speaking of...

Thomas Jefferson v. John Adams. Thomas Jefferson was the hands down winner. At least, at the start of the war, he was. However, after failure and failure in the North, John Adams emerged as a likely winner. As a New England native, making him more likely to want to defend New England and Quebec. The Federalist Party wanted a speedy end to the war. They wanted to reopen trade. They wanted to stop losing. America's only major victory had been due to a hurricane. However, many did not want to lose the war.

Federal Election Center, Federal District, United States of America
"We are proud to officially announce the results of the election!"

"Reporters from the Federal Times, New York Times, Montreal Post, and New Orleans Herald got pencil and paper ready."

"Chair of the Navy, General Stephen Decatur"

Applause rained

"Chair of the Army, General Andrew Jackson"

More Applause

"Chair of Justice, Senator Daniel Webster."

Mixed responses, as many still remember how he tried to install Alexander Hamilton into America's Supreme Court

"Chair of the Treasury, Mr. James Madison."

Applause where quickly overrun with boos.

"Chair of State..."

Tensions built up throughout the crowd.

"Speaker Henry Clay."

Applause rained wild, but then tension built as the most powerful office in the land was about to be announced.

"Mr. Thomas Jefferson, writer of the Deceleration of Independence, and founding..."

Gunshots rang out of the crowd, as the speaker announcing the results had just been shot dead. Federal District police arrested him, and he was later confirmed to be a British assassin. Thomas Jefferson and Henry Clay quickly worked with Congress to create the Domestic Securities Force, D.S.F., to protect leadership in the U.S., however, public outrage at the re-election of Thomas Jefferson was high. People saw it as a monarchy, with everyone serving 12 years in government. It would be decades before anyone would be re-elected 3 times to the same office.

Finally, after four wars, Great Britain had run bankrupt. They had been dependent on China for Silver, but could no longer afford it. So, a secret deal was made in London. English traders would sell opium to native Chinese men, and they would keep this secret. Meanwhile, Great Britain promised Alta and Baja California to China if they joined the war. The emperor was hesitant, but when news broke (after one of the Emperor's servants was found on a 'high') China hated Great Britain. They immediately declared all trade with Great Britain illegal. They also found friends in the 'League,' a group of nations including Spain, France, the Netherlands, Germany, Brazil, Greece, and the United States. China was so ticked at Great Britain, that they joined the war, attacking Anchorage in Russian Alaska and also attacking Calcutta, India. Tides of the war seemed to be changing.

O The Ramparts We Watched: The Battles of Bermuda, New York City, and Halifax
With the Election of 1816 behind me, I will take the risk
-Andrew Jackson

The American David has toppled the British Goliath
-Japanese observer of the War of 1814

America won her freedom at Havana, but secured it at Bermuda
-Henry Clay

THE BATTLES OF BERMUDA, NEW YORK CITY, AND HALIFAX
China had changed the tide of the war. Alaska was the first place they attacked. With American help, the Russians where pushed back into Siberia. Britain had been beat in Brazil, and they seemed to be screwed everywhere. The full power of the League was concentrated at the last place in America where there was a British stronghold. Bermuda. Getting troops on the island was difficult, due to the Bermuda Triangle. Once there though, Britain was stuck. They where surrounded, with no hope of survival. They took a week defending the island, though it eventually fell.

New York City had fallen under attack in April 1818, around the same time as Bermuda. They took part of Long Island, but Revolution-Era forts held out. Britain pumped thousands of troops toward Manhattan, all intercepted. However, much of the city fled the island to the shores of the North, expanding New York City limits. However, a very large battle toward the North caused Britain to abruptly end the Battle of New York City.

Halifax was the last hope for the British in North America. Positioned between New England and Canada, Nova Scotia was an ideal naval island. Earlier in the war, during the First Battle of Halifax, the British easily took the city. Now, after a string of losses, it seemed to be their last hope. On May 1st, 1818, the American Navy hit the island.

Letter of George Washington II, Solider in the United States Army, to his sister
Dear Martha,

"My service to God and my Country has been great in this hostile event. Following the Battle of Boston, our commander marched us up to Nova Scotia, where we tool boats to Shelburne. I hate the waters, I felt so sick. We camped outside the city for days, hoping to capture the city. Upon the First of May, we got our chance to strike. Our troops moved in and attacked the city, but we where overwhelmed by British forces that morning.

Around noontime, we looked defeated, We knew the battle was lost. I had been pinned in a bar. Only when my comrades killed my attacked did I see a sign of hope. The French tricolor was approaching the city. The Dutch and Spanish naval forces, too laid siege on the city. The British where now overwhelmed. I heard a commander shout, 'It is lost, it is lost,' and another, 'America, the child stray from her mother.' It was a great victory."

Sincerely,
George Washington II

The war seemed over for the British. They attempted to attack St. Johns, Newfoundland, but ultimately realized they had lost a fourth time to this upstart nation. They surrendered, and the nations met in Istanbul to discuss a treaty.

New forces started to rise in Great Britain. The Tories had ridden a wave of anti-American, pro-Crown sentiment. However, when King George III died only two short years later, and King George IV took over, Whigs had a super majority in Parliament. A new generation was rising around the global. They where starting to make their stand in Great Britain. By no means did the British like the Americans, but rather, wanted to hate them intelligently. The would try and form alliances. The Entente, as they where called, consisted of Great Britain, Denmark, Russia, and the Ottoman Empire. They starting setting a few objectives. One, free Spanish colonies in the New World. Two, recapture all Portuguese land. Three, topple Spain and Germany, weaken other nations. Four, divide up Spain into separate Kingdoms loyal to the Entente, and five, stop all American and Brazilian trade with Europe. It would take almost a century for another major conflict to spring up internationally, but in all regions of the world, more lives would be lost to warfare then in any century since the birth of Jesus Christ.

Combined.

Last edited:
Hey I just caught up with this thread and I am interested in the idea of a executive council rather than a singular president. Could you explain how the chairs of the executive are elected again? Are they elected by the Senate, Congress, or by an Electoral College.

It seems that oligarchy was intended to be used in it's original meaning, a small group of people in control of a country, but there's a lot of ways that it can be abused and turn into an oligarchy with the connotation of OTL.

I kind of agree with Hamilton that adding addition chairs to the Executive is troublesome, especially if it creates overlapping authorities. I can definitely see the return of the Chair of Defense if and when the Air Force, Marines, and/or Homeland Security are created and everyone agrees that they should all be under the same Chair instead of each having their own.

There is definitely some worrying signs that it is already happening, with members of the Founding Fathers trying to remain in power as long as possible instead of having the spirit of term limits. And then there's Hamilton having various Chair positions and then being nominated for Supreme Court.

I understand that revanchism isn't rational but what is Britain thinking by trying to pick a fight with the US and making enemies left and right? I would have thought that they'd refocus their energies on the Old World like in OTL, consolidating control in India and Africa, and dicking over the Chinese, instead of trying to take Cuba.

With that in mind, is the US going to be more inclined to trade with France and her Allies since Britain is much more antagonistic towards the US or is it going to be like in OTL where relations and trade normalize after a few years?

Great to see that you're continuing on with the thread and I hope to see more, sorry if this reply is a bit long but I had a lot to catch up on.

No this is this first reply in a while; your good! They are elected sort of like the president, and Washington’s term precedent is gone, so it does take a while. However, Jefferson is gonna be the last three term guy for a while. And trade, Britain has lost all trade with America. But, they still have a few friends, like Denmark and Russia. The Ottoman Empire is helping them out to, as well as Hungary. Britain is not going to war with the US, or anyone for a while, partly because they’ve nearly gone bankrupt. They still believe the US should be theirs. However, now the US is seen as a world power, they are going to stop trying to reclaim land. Thank you for the advice on most of this. As far as Hamilton goes, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. He still has a few more controversial moves ahead...

Era of Good Feelings: Results of War
NOTE: I know this is kind of out of order, but still working on the Treaty Chapter, but had this one done. Enjoy!

The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave
-closing lyric to The Star-Spangled Banner, by Francis Scott Key

The Post-war era was a glorious time…
-first half of Henry Clay’s most famous quote

It was the beginning of a new Era of American History
-from Abraham Lincoln’s bestselling book, the American Age

CHAPTER VIII: ERA OF GOOD FEELINGS
RESULTS OF WAR
Americans felt on top of the world. In their 50 year history, they had won 4 wars against Great Britain. They became a world power in a short amount of time. They were economically wealthy. The world was all theirs.

One of the war results was a ‘Great Awakening.’ All across America, many were drawn back into churches. All across the country, people became far more religious. Baptist and Methodist churches grew tenfold, especially in the center, upstate New York. Various churches roamed the landscape, and this would lead to occasional fights, usually civil but occasionally bloody. These fights would lead to new faiths in later American history, however, for now, traditional faiths began to grow. In Quebec, their was a Catholic surge.

America also started to become economically wealthy. Port cities like New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Quebec, Montreal, Baltimore, the Federal District, Charleston and New Orleans became massive urban centers. Americans began embracing steamboats, railroads, and mass production. Americans became powerful traders, with vast resources. It was a prosperous time.

In the arts, Americans began to produce new pieces of artwork, music, and a variety of others. Francis Scott Key, who had moved from his Baltimore home to Harvard to teach law. He had been aboard a American ship that was preparing to help the northernmost fort of the harbor. He wrote the poem, the Star-spangled banner, about the American defense of the fort. In New York, the Hudson River school began to share with the world the beauty of upstate New York and America.

Office of the Chair of the State, Federal District, United States of America
“Mr. Clay, we have a letter from a girl from Halifax,” an aide told Chair Henry Clay.

“What does it say?” Clay said.

“It says she feels America is missing a piece of its identity.” the aide responded.

“What? Ha! What did she say?” Clay was almost laughing.

“As the daughter of British immigrants from London, I realized that America is missing as piece of its identity. I remember hearing God Save the King. America is missing a anthem. Despite thousands of qualified writers, we are lacking such a powerful national symbol.” the aide read aloud from the paper.

“Well, in that case, lets find an anthem. I’ve been smitten with Mr. Key’s Star Spangled Banner.” Clay responded.

“What is its text?” the aide asked, curious.

“Oh say can you see, by the dawns early light. What so proudly we hailed, at the Twilight last gleaming. Whose bright stripes and broad stars, through the perilous fight. O’er the ramparts we watched, where so gallantly streaming. And the rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still their. Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave, o’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

“Can you sing it?”

“Their are no lyrics.”

“Well, create a contest to find them.”

“You are an amazing aide, Mr. Taylor. How’s your arm?”

Henry Clay’s aide was Zachary Taylor and had hurt his arm in the war. He had been temporarily put in the state office to assist. He would return to the U.S. army in six months.

“It’s okay. Today marks halfway through my estimated recovery. Can I ask a favor?”

“By all means.”

“When I go back to the army, I want to go west to Missouri.”

“Why their?”

“Well, I have a few reasons. One, I want to make a name for myself. Two, if a civil war breaks out, on lines of religion or slavery, I can better serve my country.”

“Even if your home state is on the other side of the fight?”

Taylor hesitated. “I wish I could do both. I want to prevent war, not fight one.”

“That is going to be rather hard.”

“I know.”

“It’s after your hours. Retire to your quarters Mr. Taylor.”

Zachary Taylor had served in a low-ranking position and would serve as a great leader later in American History when things got quite a bit harder. He would go up army ranks in later conflicts, but for now, was content as an aide. Henry Clay had his work cut out for him. After several months, the Star-spangled banner was set to music, and Francis Scott Key was dubbed the Author of the Anthem. America was growing. Life was generally getting better. Eli Whitney was inventing away, and American life would improve. Religious fever was sweeping, and although Catholic-Protestant disputes occasionally cropped up, Quebec would never leave alone. They simply wouldn’t survive. Cities were growing quickly. Even out west, metropolises like Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, and Winnipeg began to pop up.

Globally, the war’s winners became prosperous. China instantly became a superpower, with a mighty manpower and naval force at its disposal. France was by far the world’s most wealthy nation, with Franco-mania springing up in Europe, Asia, and America. Brazil began to be seen as a moderately sized power, among the likes of other wealthy nations including the U.S., the Netherlands, and Greece. It even considered getting itself a few colonies in Africa, in a Portuguese-speaking region called Angola. However, rather the opposite was happening to the losers. Russia had lost Alaska and was scared that Siberia would be next. A massive Pacific navy was built, and they began enforcing it’s claims with an iron fist. This would alienate Japan later, but Russia had other concerns. Denmark and Britain began to see a mass exodus, and to top it all off, the official monarch, King George III, the king who lost America, died. King George IV had been a sort of Phantom leader, but it was a sad loss for the British people. Britain also was beyond bankrupt, and King George IV made his only available move. He sold the primarily Dutch colony on the African Cape back to the Dutch for the U.S. equivalent of 20 million dollars, the single largest land transaction in history. They also considered selling off India and Australia, but decided to keep some colonies. The want for vengeance in British was rampade, and the Danish where in no means happy with a rising star bordering Greenland, their only real colony. However, the losers of the War of 1814 would get a turn of fortune soon enough

O The Ramparts We Watched: The Congress & Treaty of Zurich
The War is finally over. Now the war of words.
-Henry Clay, Chair of State during the War of 1814

Give those idiot Americans a piece of my mind.
-Prince (later King) George IV

Do we want Switzerland to host one of the largest fights in history?
-Bern commoner expressing concern over the Congress of Zurich

THE CONGRESS AND TREATY OF ZURICH
In the end of the War of 1814, a global want for peace was in all major countries, from America to Russia to Britain to Greece to just about anywhere. To resolve this, major world leaders, including Henry Clay, Prince George, Napoleon Bonaparte, and Tzars, Kings, Presidents, and other leaders came to an agreement. It is better to meet in person to avoid major conflicts, and everyone agreed. In America, it was decided that instead of having an aging Jefferson or Adams, Chair Henry Clay would be sent to Zurich, which agreed to host the World Congress, generally called the First Congress of Zurich. It was actually a suggestion of the Swiss, who had not fought since the early days of the Protestant Reformation and where pro-peace, and they wanted to reconcile the U.S., Great Britain, France, and Russia. Of course, it ended up with Spain, Germany, Brazil, the Netherlands, Greece and the Ottoman Empire. Denmark, Sweden, Hungary, China, and Japan refused to send delegates to the 1818 Congress, but would in the 1823 Congress.

Henry Clay knew a lot was at stake for this Congress. He had aspirations for the 1820 election. Founding Fathers John Adams and James Madison where running, respectively for the Federalists and Democratic Parties. John Adams would almost certainly win, but the Democrats and Republicans would be almost equal for the runner-up chair. Clay knew that Americans would want a change in power. Founding Fathers had ran the nation for years, and although no disrespect was meant toward Washington, Jefferson, and Hamilton, it was time for new faces in power. Henry Clay even crossed party lines to get Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun to propose the Second Amendment, which would limit all chairs to two terms. It was very popular, but Adams and Madison felt like they might get cheated. It quickly passed a tired-out Congress and American people, with all three parties going for it heavily.

The Congress of Zurich was set to be called to order May 1st, 1818 at 10 in the morning. Clay left America the day after Independence day celebrations on January 16th for Europe. He planned to arrive early and stay in Paris for a few months to associate with France as a greater ally. In his entourage, was a lawyer from Illinois to write out the Congressional transcription, Abraham Lincoln, a armed defense force consisting of sixteen people (all former Army or Navy men who joined the D.S.F.), including George Washington II, and a handful of advisers including John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, and John Tyler, all Congressmen from different political parties. In Europe, a slew of delegates where coming. Representing Great Britain was Prince George, who would later succeed his father as King, and Prime Minister Robert Jenkins, Second Earl of Liverpool. From France, Napoleon still served as the Second President, as he was incredibly popular, and his son, Napoleon II. German, Spanish, Brazilian, Dutch, Greek, and Ottoman delegation would attend, but only one other delegation was important. Tzar Nicholas I would be one of the most important Russian monarchs in a long time.

Official Transcription of the Congress of Zurich (Selected Selections)
[Switzerland Delegation] We, the Swiss Delegation to the World Congress, dated in the year of our Lord one-thousand, eight-hundred, and eighteen, call this meeting to order on the basis of the rules outlined previous

[U.S. Delegation] The United States of America would like to propose a treaty to end hostilities following the surrenders of the Russian, British, and Danish delegations, as the first order outlined in the agreed agenda.

[G. British Delegation] We would like to propose an end of hostilities and Russian, Danish, and British reparations to nations with which we held hostilities with.

[Brazilian Delegation] We would like to propose the same resolution, and all British territory in the Caribbean Sea succeeded to Brazil, Alaska succeeded to the Americans, and Siberia to the Chinese.

[Switzerland Delegation] The Chinese have no delegation to the World Congress. No proposal can include the Quin Empire

[Brazilian Delegation] We retract the leg of our resolution relating to the Quin Empire.

[Russian Delegation] (In Russian accent) Vi do nut ahgree weth thes proposal.

[U.S. Delegation] (snickers, in poor Russian accent) vi si dat du ure nut un inglsh speakar.

[Switzerland Delegation] No international insults, please.

[French Delegation] We accept the Brazilian Resolution.

[G. Britain Delegation] We would like to propose an amendment.

(Commotion with the Russian, American, and Brazilian Delegations.)

[Switzerland Delegation] The floor is given to the delegates of the nation of Great Britain.

[G. Britain Delegation] Alaska is given to the Americans, and our nation will pay for all damage done to Americans and Brazilians, and the Russians to France, the Dutch, and Spain.

(modest nods between delegations)

[Switzerland Delegation] Vote upon the Brazilian Resolution, amendment by the Brazilians and the Great British Delegation. Ayes...

[U.S., G. Britain, France, Russian, German, Spanish, and Dutch delegations] Aye.

[Switzerland Delegation] Nays

[Russian Delegation] Nay

[Switzerland Delegations] Abstentions.

[Ottoman Delegation] Abstain

[Switzerland Delegation] The final vote is Seven ayes, One Nay, and one abstained. The Ayes have it!

Many other topics where discussed at the World Congress, such as the creation of an independent Portugal, Italy, and Norway. Great Britain, Russia and France had all cemented themselves as world powers, however, the United States of America had cemented herself as the guardian of the New World. This led to the emergence of the Claytonian Doctrine. This made Henry Clay much more popular then James Madison. He became the fifth Constitutional Chair of the United States, and would make that position almost equal in power to the Executive Chair.

Globally, Germany and Spain began to want to be more then second-rate republics. Seeing that the United States had broken into the circle of world leaders (at least for now) and they wanted to join this circle. The U.S. (from that foreboding comment) will have some ups and downs over the next few decades, and their national stability will be questioned. Great Britian is going to try and recover. Their colonies in Georgeland and India would become profitable. Africa would become there next playground. They would become an unquestioned world power. Russia, too, would expand, flexing their muscle over East Europe and Central Asia. France would try to seal their Indochina and other places.

The Era of Good Feelings would begin in the lead up to division in America, but globally it would have a different name; the Colonial Age, the Revolutionary Age, the Glory Era of the British Empire. But the name that best describes it; the Bloody Era.

Era of Good Feelings: Mr. Adams Council
...until it wasn’t
-Second half of Henry Clay’s famous quote.

Mr. Adams is a disgrace to the Federalist cause
-Alexander Hamilton

I fear my dear country has become divided. But I must push my agenda, for this country's sake.
-John Adams, Executive Chair of the United States of America

MR. ADAMS COUNCIL
After eight years of Jefferson, people became tired of his Democratic ways. John Adams was a Federalist, and they seemed prone to win the election. The Republican Party had put their support behind Henry Clay, the Democrats James Madison, and the Federalists John Adams. The Democrats and Republicans primarily competed for votes in the South and West, while Adams had a different strategy. He just took most Northern votes and waited for the election to end. By winning Pennsylvania, Quebec, and New York, in addition to his home state of Massachusetts, he all but guaranteed his election. The real battle was over the Constitutional Chair, for the runner-up. James Madison and Henry Clay would battle it out, but Clay’s popularity from the Congress of Zurich was still really high, and more people hoped that a younger man would expand the powers of the Constitutional Chair to more than joke, where the Chair would be just as powerful as the Executive Chair, despite this fading in the Hamilton and Jefferson Administrations.

Other Chairs needed to be filled. A new World Congress was to be held, this time in Vienna. Clay, though popular, could not run for this as he was the Constitutional Chair. John C. Calhoun, a Democrat, ran against Federalist Daniel Webster (also running for Chair of the Treasury) and Republican Andrew Jackson (also running for Chair of Justice). Everyone expected Andrew Jackson to win, so when he lost by one electoral vote to his opponent also of the South, he was crushed. Although he won the Chair of Justice and Webster Chair of the Treasury, he would call it a corrupt bargain for the rest of his life, though the phrase never caught on due to other controversies. New faces surfaced, such as Daniel D. Thompkins as chair of the Navy and Martin Van Buren as Chair of the Army. The Chair of the Interior was an aged William H. Crawford. All of those last three were Republicans.

However, to say the controversies were over would be a lie. First an outbreak of Cholera in British India had been spread through a general to Bermuda, where a tourist took it to Philadelphia, where it spread throughout the U.S. It became a mass controversy on whose job it was to contain the pandemic. William H. Crawford, John C. Calhoun, and even chair of the Army Martin Van Buren got into the fight. While the fighting was going on in the Federal District, death tolls were rising. Daniel D. Thompkins even got infected with the disease. He did not step down, but was fortunate to not have a war upcoming.

The pandemic began to die down, with a death toll in the thousands. However, the fiscal situation had just collapsed. The United States had gone into deep debt in the wars, and had barely finished paying off the Laffeyatic Wars before the War of 1814 started. They had borrowed thousands of Franks from France. However, when French investments in Spain collapsed after their President was assassinated, the global market collapsed into ruin. France, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, Brazil, all markets collapsed. Greece was the only League nation to survive this, as they had not fallen into debt.

John Adams and Daniel Webster were party mates in this crisis. Webster proposed to Congress tariffs on British, Danish and Russian Goods. Of course, they passed Congress, and Clay approved most of them. Clay proposed that Canals also be built to support the Southern economy. However, Adams disapproved of the canals. Clay maintained some popularity, but Adams was screwed. To maintain popularity, Adams decided for a desperate measure.

Executive Chair Office, June 17th, 1823
“Clay!” Adams yelled

“Yes, sir.” Clay scrambled into the room

“I need you to check something.”

“What?”

“Nobility.”

“The Constitution says nothing about it.”

“Really? Franklin or my cousin never included it. So I thought.”

“However, why do you ask?”

“I want to improve my popularity. I’m writing a declaration that the holders of Council Chairs will be Lords, as while being their eldest descendant.”

“That's not going to be popular in the South or the West.”

“I know. All I need is the North and I can get re-elected.”

“Well, is New…”

“LEAVE! I have advisors to talk to me on such matters. Leave.”

“Adams!”

“Clay!”

Clay ran out of the room.

“Webster!”

“Yes, sir?”

“How are the tariffs?”

“Poorly!”

“WHAT?”

“Charleston has outright nullified the law. Savannah, Norfolk, Mobile, New Orleans, every southern city. They are all not paying the tariff. And it get worse.”

“WHAT? HOW?”

“South Carolina, Georgia, and East Florida, they are all proposing to leave the Union.”

“NO! GET VAN BUREN IN HERE!”

“Martin left for lunch in Alexandria a few hours ago.”

“Actually, I just got back.” Van Buren said.

Both turned in surprise.

“Spaghetti, anyone?”

“No thanks.” Adams said.

“Yes, please.” Webster said.

Martin Van Buren gave Daniel Webster his Italian food.

“Buren! I need you to send the army to the Southern states.”

“No way! I’ll never get re-elected!”

“I don’t care about your re-election.”

“Well, I do! Clearly, you have no care about your re-election either.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Nobility titles? You're screwing yourself up!”

“How can I not at this point.”

“I don’t know! Clay’s American system is the best option.”

“Webster, leave. I’m gonna deal with Van Buren by myself.”

Martin Van Buren and John Adams got into a fight. Little did Adams know, someone at the Italian place had Cholera. Buren, Webster and Adams both got Cholera. They all recovered from it, but Adams would lose his re-election. Actually, he would be dropped by the Federalists.

Alexander Hamilton was still an important figure in the Federalist Party. All candidates had to be approved. Adams gained initial approval, but after 1823, Hamilton said this on the candidate:

“Mr. Adams is a disgrace to the Federalist cause. No, the American cause.”

World events where in a tornado. 1824 would be a year to remember.

Era of Good Feelings: Collapse of Spain and Her Colonies

Recuerda la republica!
-Battle cry of the Colombian Resistance

Madrid has fallen! Spain has fallen!
-Anonymous Portuguese soldier

Resist in the name of Spain!
-Simon Bolivar

COLLAPSE OF SPAIN AND HER COLONIES
Spain was one of the most prosperous nations in the world. They had lost in the American Revolution, and the monarchy had collapsed. Following the collapse, Spain adopted a Republican constitution. When their colonies started to resent a lack of representation in Spanish Parliament, they gave them representation. They even took over Portugal following the Laffeyatic War. They had joined France, the U.S., Germany, the Netherlands, and others as a powerful nation. Wealth had been their name. They had obscure Presidents who led the nation, elected by the Parliament. That was until 1820.

Britain was bitter from the loss of four wars. They had few allies, one of them being the deceased nation of Portugal, whose monarchy in exile had been in Cambridge since the 1790’s. So when a Portuguese resurgence led by a British national who assassinated eight members of the Spanish Parliament, including the President. The Republic fell into a lock down mode, with cities like Madrid and Barcelona going into full martial law. Portugal re-established herself as a nation, with her king moving from Cambridge to Lisbon. The so-called Portuguese Army (which was really just Brits disguised in Portuguese uniforms.) invaded Galatia to the north, and then moved into Leon-Castile. Madrid fell, and the Spanish Republic and Parliament thereof surrendered. A British- and Portuguese- supported Monarch named King Fredrick (previously the Duke of York and George IV’s brother.) took control of Spain through the formerly British port of Gibraltar.

Of course, the colonists of the New World were not happy to be under a British boot. Spain had allowed an American named Moses Austin to bring a group of settlers to Columbia, starting with a colony on the edge of Panama. He returned to the U.S. and brought 300 families to Columbia, including his son Stephen Fuller Austin. Moses died of Malaria while his colonists, mostly from the South, settled in a city they decided to call Clayton, after the Chair of State. Austin wanted to negotiate with the British, but a local from the colonies named Simon Bolivar decided for a more revolutionary tactic.

In a older Spanish town to the South, Bogota, Simon Bolivar and other revolutionaries declared independence, heavily borrowing from former Chair of the Executive Thomas Jefferson’s Declaration of Independence. Britain immediately sent troops down to defend the region from British Honduras, now part of the much larger Honduras given to Britain by Spain, which was now a pocket nation to the British. The citizens fought back, fiercely defending Clayton. They cried Recuerda la Republica!, in English, meaning Remember the Republic!, though most said it in Spanish as it rolled off the tongue easier. In defense of Clayton, many Americans came to its aide, including former Republican governor of Tennessee Samuel Houston and former Democrat Senator Davy Crockett. They lost at Clayton, far outnumbered by British forces, but had a kill ratio of 20 Brits to each Columbia or Anglo soldier lost (Anglo meaning American). This earned them international support. Remnants of Spain’s army and navy joined in, retaking crucial cities like Barcelona and Porto. Madrid and Gibraltar were the only cities in the British government of Spain. No nation joined in the conflict aside from those that were formerly part of the Spanish Republic.

Conversation between Samuel Houston and Simon Bolivar, Generals of Gran Colombia, December 1st, 1821
“Bolivar!”

“Ci, senor?”

“Mi no hablo mucho Espanol. Hablas inglesa?”

“Yes, Houston. Of course. Picked it up back in Clayton.”

“You're very fluent.”

“Thank you. What was it you wanted to speak to me about?”

“Latest reports from the spies outside Bogota say the Brits are taking a siesta!”

“What? That's amazing!”

“We are launching an assault. Would you like to lead the way?”

“I would be honored.”

They quickly mounted horses, grabbed sabers and rifles, and made preparations for an assault on the sleeping British.

“Y’know, I’ve fought the British before, in the Battle of Boston. I was a one star general. I actually commanded George Washington’s son.”

“Ah! Really!”

“Ya. One of my best shots. He went back to Virginia.”

“Amazing. He’s not here, is he?”

“No, sadly, he’s going into politics.”
“Gosh, no!”

“I know, right? He should have been a general. He’s mayor of Alexandria outside the American Federal District.”

The British came on the horizons, still sleeping.

“Well, Houston, time to get back to what George II of America should be doing.”

“Huh, ya.”

Bolivar gave George Washington II a nickname that would be used by his friends (jokingly) and enemies (not jokingly). The British and Portuguese army fell at Bogota. British control of Spain collapsed, and the government was re-instituted. However, all was not well. Portugal remained an independent state. Gran Colombia, too, was an independent nation, though the unstable Spanish government would be incapable of controlling it anyway. British Honduras was expanded. Spain even met with the leaders of Japan and China to consider selling off the Philippines to pay for the expensive coo. The governments of Germany and America also went under lockdown, as they feared a very similar thing could happen to them. People around the world, in all nations, stocked up on supplies should another world war breakout, as everyone thought would happen.

In Colombia, Bogota was set as a capitol. They helped Spain get back on their feet. They even decided to build a new capitol city, Houston, in a province to be named Bolivia, just south of Clayton. They adopted a government similar to France, though the President would have term limits and their would be a President-assist should the President die. Stephen F. Austin was elected the first president of the Republic of Gran Colombia in 1825, with Simon Bolivar serving as President-assist.

Spain’s government was on its feet later than Gran Colombia, and adopted the concept of a popularly elected President, a President-assist, and invented a concept of their own: the separate capitol system. Madrid remained the Legislative Capitol, while Barcelona became the Executive Capitol. The Judicial Capital was set at Porto. Each in a different province, it would help to avoid the government collapse they had just dealt with and avoid an insurgency like what had happened (and been excepted) from Portugal.

This also prompted a question for a nation like the United States. What would happen should a member of the Executive Council die? Unfortunately, they would find out very soon, in the absolute worst time possible.

I kind of agree with Hamilton that adding addition chairs to the Executive is troublesome, especially if it creates overlapping authorities. I can definitely see the return of the Chair of Defense if and when the Air Force, Marines, and/or Homeland Security are created and everyone agrees that they should all be under the same Chair instead of each having their own.

Don't think I mentioned this earlier, the Marine Corp is not going to be separated from the U.S. Navy ITTL because their will be no Barbary Pirate Wars. Hence this, their will also be no Chair of Homeland Security because no 9-11 level event while happen, because alliances are going to be completely different then OTL or even at this point ITTL (major events in the 1870's, 80's, and 90's will cause this) and U.S./Islamic relations are going to be much better (no Al-quida, religious freedom [or lack of discrimination] at new levels) due to events in the 1840's, which brings us back to Hamilton, who will play no small part in these events. I will say he will die in 1841, but will do one or two really big things still. Sorry that I forgot to say this earlier.

Era of Good Feelings: Colonial Affairs of the Europeans
We are redeemed!
-Colonial governor of George-land

We need money to deal with the rebellion!
-Colonial governor of the Dutch East Indies to the Parliament of the Netherlands

They've attacked Hokkaido!
-
Japanese Governor

COLONIAL AFFAIRS OF THE EUROPEANS
Expansion is a hallmark of Empires. All empires expand. Greece, Rome, China, Japan, and others as old as the Mesopotamia testify to this. In the age when empires roamed the world, Great Britain, France, Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands all have empires. Japan, Portugal, the U.S., and Greece would like to also have colonies. However, keeping their territory should be their first priority.

Japan was looking for an alliance. They hoped to find one with Great Britain, Denmark, Portugal, and Russia. In 1823, this hope was dashed. Russia, eager for an empire, invaded the northernmost islands of the Japanese Archipelago. They where put between a rock and a hard place. Either their newest enemy Russia or their oldest China would save them. They reached out to an unsympathetic Great Britain. Then, they did the unthinkable. They asked France for help. France forwarded the message to China, who launched an invasion of Siberia. Russia had to split their forces. They made one final push at the island of Hokkaido, before surrendering. It was a great embarrassment on the part of Russia, and the beginning of forgiveness between China and Japan.

To say that was the only issue in Asia would be a lie, however. The Dutch state had held colonies in the East Indies, locally called Indonesia, since the 1600's. They had harvested coffee beans and other valuable spices. However, of course their was local rebellion. The Netherlands where a primarily White, Christian nation while the inhabitants of Indonesia where primarily a Asian, Islamic people. This created a tense environment, so when the Dutch enslaved the inhabitants and claimed their land, the outcome was not great. The islands of Java went into full rebellion in 1824, hoping to overthrow their Dutch masters. The got support from Muslims on the mainland, but where no match for the Dutch Navy, one of the finest in the world. Although they won in the rebellion, they abolished slavery in the colony, and made moves toward civil rights.

Other colonies around the world including French Indochina, Spanish Philippines, and various domains in Africa. Americans and Germans had claim to the Western part of the continent, the French and Dutch the central, and Britain and Portuguese the South. The Russians where having colonial affairs of their own, attempting to conquer Afghanistan and Iran, successful in the first, failing in the second. However, the mighty British where by far the most powerful. South Africa, Egypt, India, George-land, Cook's Islands, Bermuda, and various Caribbean Islands where theirs.

The Lord Amherst was one in a long line of governors of India. His post was established by the British East India Company in 1773, though that was in an era when America was the Crown Jewel of the British Empire. Other nations local had claims the most of the land, and the British only had control of the Eastern half of the continent. Under previous governors, the peninsula had fallen into British hand completely, and his appointment was only putting him in the top of a rising career. Until now, various Islamic nations still had control in the West, but Amherst hoped to soon change that. He sat, looking out of a window from the Indian Governors Mansion, a former palace the locals called Taj Mahl, built by an Islamic Sultan for his wife but converted into a palace, with the British even changing the text on the walls from the Islamic books of scripture to the Bible. He looked out at the beauty of the land he controlled.

"My lord." a servant called out.

"Yes?"

"The lasted news from the West. The final nation has fallen."

"That is great. And the rebellion in Sri Lanka?"

"Suppressed."

"Thank you. You may leave."

A few minutes passed, then Amherst was again interrupted from his thoughts by a sailor who appeared to have come from London.

"You have a letter from King George IV."

"He's king now? Old George the Third passed?"

"Yes."

"Well, on with the letter."

"Dear Lord Amherst, after recent events following the war with the French Alliance, several British companies have fallen bankrupt, among them British East Indies. It is my duty to inform you that the government of Great Britain, and the nation thereof, is now in control of India. Do not worry for your, post, your will have your position carried over. Similar events are happening in other regions of the Commonwealth. We expect you to maintain full control of India. You are now the Governor-General of the colony, and have full rights to reign as sovereign of this land. Best wishes, King George IV, King of Great Britain and the British Commonwealth."

"Well, that's the second good news of the day!"

"Their is more."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"On with it."

"Post Script: I will be visiting all of our colonies in the year One Thousand, Eight Hundred and Twenty-five, leaving my son, Prince George, to reign over the Commonwealth until my return. Except me in Delhi sometime this summer.:

"Oh. Oh. Oh."

"You don't seem excited."

"I'm not. Someone should advise him otherwise! Typhoons, malaria, a million other things! Someone advise him otherwise!"

"To late. He's already visited Egypt and is on his way to the Cape of Good Hope."

"He's gone mad! Mad!"

King George IV, later in life, would go mad, like his father before him. However, he would live to visit most colonies within his Realm, and would take notes. He and his successors would keep Great Britain ready for full-blown war with the entire world at any time, maintaining the largest army and navy in the world for the remainder of the 19th Century and into the 20th, but to insure this, he visited his many colonies to assure that they would get proper care. Good for him, too, because he would eventually allow religious freedom in his colonies, which would allow them to draw from local troops instead of those back home.

Affairs in Europe where enough on their own.

A Brief Description of Global Colonies

• France
    • Indochina
  • Germany
    • Central Africa
  • Great Britain
    • Cape of Good Hope
    • Cook's Islands
    • Egypt
    • George-land
    • India
  • Russia
    • Afghanistan
    • Northern Pacific
  • Spain
    • Argentina
    • Philippines
  • The Netherlands
    • East Indies
  • The United States
    • West Central Africa

Era of Good Feelings: Revolutions in Europe & 1824 Part 1
Viva la Italia!
-Battle Cry of Italy

For Norway!
-pretty self explanatory, Norwegian Battle Cry

Save Serbia
-Franco-Greek Battle cry

REVOLUTIONS IN EUROPE

1823 was a year of wars in Europe. First and foremost, Italy had been subjugated for a few years under France. To be honest, the Papal States and upper Italy had been pretty happy under French rule, but the Sicilies to the South had not been. A plea to the Ottoman Empire and Portugal let them starting fighting the French in full. They would seize Rome and Milan, and quickly get France to surrender the territory. The nation that formed was the Constitutional Monarchy of the Italian Peninsula and the two Sicilies. They formed an alliance with Portugal and the Ottoman Empire, as well as Denmark, Hungary, Great Britain, and Russia. This new alliance member would help level the playing field.

Of course, the alliance would strike back. Norway erupted into rebellion, and as a Danish province, they quickly received help from France and other European nations. However, although Oslo and the upper pieces of Norway would be taken by the alliance, the rebellion would ultimately fail. The world began to see the League in decline, losing Italy, though gaining Japan. In reality, it was just becoming less Euro-centric, as now a full war in Europe would be won by the Entente. League plans for a Irish uprising where upended by this, and they would only be more disappointed in years to come.

Leaders of the French Navy where making their annual trip to Athens, to meet with Greek leaders. They had left from the South of France and had visited Tunis on their way, but upon reaching Greece, they found the nation under attack. They saw flags of Hungary, Italy, and the Ottoman Empire attacking the city, immanently pulling in the support of the French Navy. The Franco-Greek navies won the battle, but France was not ready for full war. They had only sent six ships, one of which was now sunk, and two damaged. When French naval leaders finally arrived in Athens, they learned that the Greeks had been attacked and where losing Serbia, a region of land extending from Mount Olympus to Budapest. Whoever owned it would be a major East European power, a seat the Greece and Hungary both wanted. Hungary had no choice of expansion except through either Germany or Greece, and Serbia was Greece's path to mainland Europe. Ethnic tribes ranged in loyalties from hyper-Greek to hyper-Hungarian, with a few pro-Independence groups amidst them, among them the Albanians, who had no interest in being within a Christian nation.

The war lasted a long time. Greece was surrounded on three sides, with a blockade quickly instituted to avoid Spanish and French assistance. Only when Great Britain threatened to invade the Greek Islands, Greece surrendered. The war ended on Christmas Day, 1823, a week before a massive wave of change would sweep the World. China and Japan would be modernized, political parties would be brought to their knees in the United States, and Europe would hit a period of Industrialization and instability, even in powerful nations. Africa would officially be divided, and much more. 1824 would be the most important year since 1776.

PART I
America was now a fractured nation. John Adam legacy and global events had split the three major parties into nine parties that got over 1% of the popular vote. The third amendment made every office a runner up office. The Federalists split into the Revolutionary Party (who nominated John Adams), the Federalist Party (who nominated Daniel Webster), and the Papal Party (who nominated John Baptiste III). The Democrats and Republicans split into the Democrats (who nominated James Madison), the Republicans (who nominated Henry Clay), the Manifest Destiny Party (who nominated John C. Calhoun), and the Religious Freedom Party (who nominated William Miller.) Various other parties formed, most notably the Justice Party, who nominated Martin Van Buren in a collation of former Federalists and Republicans.

Few strongholds where guaranteed. Aggressive campaigning by all parties by even some of the candidates. Their where a few predictions. Adams was likely to get New England, while Webster looked likely to get the Mid-Atlantic states. Madison would likely win Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and some other states, split against Calhoun, who would likely win the Carolina's. Manifest Destiny would also have a Western hold. The Papists (as the party members where called) looked pron to win the Florida's, Quebec, and Mexico, or have a strong hold in those states. Martin Van Buren was excepted to win last place, but the election had other plans.

James Madison won five state to Henry Clay's eight, yet Madison winning Virginia and other large states won him the Executive Chair. With a margin of difference of less than half a percent in a population of only 20 million, of which about 75% participate in elections, the difference came down to a few thousand people. Everyone excepted Clay to win Tennessee and Webster to win Pennsylvania and New Jersey, so losing Pennsylvania to Martin Van Buren of the Freedom Party was a real hit to Webster, keeping him in the Chair of the Treasury. Calhoun won more states than excepted, such as Vermont, New Jersey, and New York, who had the West romanticized to them, which made the idea of westward expansion of the population quite popular. However, the South was the one who really mad. Martin Van Buren, by winning Pennsylvania had secured himself the Chair of the Interior, which could lead to the abolishment of slavery. The Protestant states where upset by Jean Baptiste III winning the Chair of the Navy, almost securing future Catholics would have a seat in government. The South was ready for rebellion. The country was only twenty years away from its first civil war.

CandidatesPartySupportStatesElectoral TotalFormer PartyOffice Won
James MadisonDemocratic Party24.1%VA(24), WF(4), MS (4), TN (11), GA (9) 52Democratic PartyExecutive Chair
Henry ClayRepublican Party23.7%KY(14), MO(3), IL (3), OH (5), ER (16), HU (3), MI (3), SU (3)50Republican PartyConstitutional Chair
John C. CalhounManifest Destiny Party22.9%SC(11), TX(3), MX(7), AR (3), VT (7), NJ (8), NY (2 of 36)41Republican/Democratic PartyChair of State
Daniel WebsterFederalist Party20.1%NY(34 of 36), DE(3)37Federalist PartyChair of the Treasury
John AdamsRevolutionary Party3.5%MA (15), CT (8), RI (4), NH (8)35Federalist PartyChair of the Army
Martin Van BurenFreedom Party3.1%PN (28),28Federalist PartyChair of the Interior
Jean Baptiste IIIPapal Party2.6%QU (10), NS (3), NB (3), LB (3), 19Federalist PartyChair of the Navy
William MillerReligious Freedom Party1%ME (9)9Republican/Democratic PartyN/A

Last edited: