An Alternative Solution to the Polish-Saxon Crisis

During the Congress of Vienna, the Polish-Saxon Crisis threatened to throw the great powers of Europe into war again. Prussia wanted to annex the Kingdom of Saxony and Russia wanted to annex the Kingdom of Poland. Austria opposed the annexations because they wanted to position themselves as the protector of the small German states and because Poland could serve as a buffer state between Russia and Central Europe. Britain opposed them as well because the British electorate was on a liberal bent, opposed to such imperialism (hypocritically). Eventually as part of a compromise, Prussia received 3/5 of Saxony, land on the Rhine, and Posen, while Russia got the Kingdom of Poland under a personal union with a liberal constitution that would eventually be chipped away at.

But what if:
  • Instead of Saxony, Britain gives all of Hanover to Prussia.
  • A united front forms between Britain, France, Prussia, and Austria, all calling for a fully independent Poland-Lithuanian Commonwealth under a Polish ruling house with its borders prior to the French Revolution.
  • Russia backs down and reluctantly agrees.
This scenario would satisfy:
  • British desires for an independent Poland and Saxony, and it would provide a way to rid itself from ties to continental affairs;
  • Austrian desires for good diplomatic standing and a buffer state against Russian influence;
  • Prussian desires for more land;
  • French desires for good diplomatic standing;
  • and of course Saxon and Polish desires for independence.
Now, would this scenario have been plausible and if it had been implemented, what would be its repercussions, especially on the Revolutions of 1848, German Unification, and WW1?

(Most of this info was gotten from Historia Civilis’ video on the Congress of Vienna; if there is a gap in my knowledge, do let me know.)

ahmedali

Banned
Some of your ideas are absurd

Britain handing over all of Hanover to Prussia is highly unlikely

(George III was British, this is true, but the prestige of the dynasty is important, and even British politicians, despite their desire to get rid of Hanover, are well aware of this)

Even if we assume that Britain handed it over, what will they be compensated for?

Belgium does not seem to be enough and the British need something so huge that Prussia may not be able to provide it

Part of Hanover (Göttingen) is very possible in exchange for Hanover taking compensation by annexing Hanover to Oldenburg

(who replaces her duke with the crown of Norway if Sweden's invasion of Norway fails and Norway successfully becomes independent from Denmark)

Prussia and Austria participating in the partition of Poland will never call for the liberation of Poland

(To make matters worse, they allied themselves with Napoleon, if von Blücher defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, they could regain their Polish lands with the annexation of Saxony and keep Rhineland and Westphalia because they had the advantage.)

A non-Russian Poland is difficult as long as Alexander I is alive (he was obsessed with Poland and so was his brother Constantine)

(You need to kill him and his brother Constantine to make their younger brother Nicholas I the Russian nationalist tsar and abandon Poland because he did not love them unlike his two brothers and he will be satisfied with Finland)

The Witten House became like Wittlisbach, looking at them with hostility because they were the last person to abandon Napoleon

(They wanted not to give him a throne because he lost his divine right by cooperating with Napoleon, and if the Prussians wanted to annex Saxony, Austria should demand something huge like Bavaria. In return, Ludwig I takes Belgium and his dynasty rejected this offer more than once)

In fact, if the Polish-Saxon crisis expanded into a war, I would see France siding with the Prussians and the Russians

(Belgium is a very easy win)

This war would benefit Muart's regime in Naples, as he could quickly annex half of Italy before the Sicilian Bourbons and the British land in Naples.

Besides, the Bavarians will want to take back Salzburg and Tyrol and may want Baden and Württemburg

So the British and Austrians are big losers here

Last edited:
A united front forms between Britain, France, Prussia, and Austria, all calling for a fully independent Poland-Lithuanian Commonwealth under a Polish ruling house with its borders prior to the French Revolution.
I don't know, I just don't see them doing that. Prussia and Russia more or less agreed in the switch of their controlled parts of Saxony and Poland, but the rest of the countries were the wants who didn't want to accept the deal. Besides Prussia really wanted Saxony because they were lands closer to their heartland. Hannover is not really a better option in comparison.

In fact, if the Polish-Saxon crisis expanded into a war, I would see France siding with the Prussians and the Russians
I don't see them joining any side. I am sure France would be exhausted enough for it and Louis XVIII would have preferred to consolidate his rule, to being with.

ahmedali

Banned
I don't know, I just don't see them doing that. Prussia and Russia more or less agreed in the switch of their controlled parts of Saxony and Poland, but the rest of the countries were the wants who didn't want to accept the deal. Besides Prussia really wanted Saxony because they were lands closer to their heartland. Hannover is not really a better option in comparison.

I don't see them joining any side. I am sure France would be exhausted enough for it and Louis XVIII would have preferred to consolidate his rule, to being with.
But he will still want a war in order to give some legitimacy to his restored regime

Belgium is the easiest profit

Fun fact, while Prussia gained a lot of land from Saxony, the more valuable areas remained part of Saxony. Apparently the leaders in Vienna where largely unaware which lands in Saonxy where really valuable for industrialization and agriculture.
A larger Saxony will change the dynamics inside Germany. Meanwhile a Prussian Hannover will connect Prussia with the Rhineland.