An alternate history of British Airships and the British Empire

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by zoomar, Feb 12, 2018.

1. zoomar Curmudgeon

The attached .pdf is a revision and addition to a post I placed on this site many years ago. It posits a very different trajectory for the development of lighter-than-air travel and World History after the end of the Great War.

mudhead and abrotherc like this.
  2. Some Bloke Well-Known Member

Does it include the Royal Navy using Zeppelin's for reconnaissance, anti submarine warfare, and early air warning during WWI?

3. zoomar Curmudgeon

Can you see the .pdf? It should answer the question.

4. Tanc49 On Faraway Seas

Pretty cool and well made. One thing though, airships always struck me as having potential massive impact on counter-insurgencies, particularly in the colonies, which I don't think you've mentionned.
    Usefulness in warfare against an industrialised enemy would be limited (it's big, , relatively fragile and fairly slow) but anti-colonial movements generally don't have airplanes or artillery

5. riggerrob Well-Known Member

Try reading "Peshwar Lancers" by S.M.Stirling. It is one of his better books.

Catsmate and zoomar like this.
  6. Dynasoar Well-Known Member

Has hydrogen been made non-flammable while my attention was diverted elsewhere?

Dynasoar EDIT: If the above is incorrect, please refer to Post #12 in the Thread "French Zeppelins and German Aeroplanes"

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. zoomar Curmudgeon

vortiger likes this.
  8. zoomar Curmudgeon

I suspect airships, at least zeppelin airships of the type in this AH would have limited military utility past about 1930-35 not to say that smaller airships might have been useful in counterinsurgencies, but that's not the focus of this paper.

9. Tanc49 On Faraway Seas

I figured if you were talking about the British Empire staying an Empire that'd be important. I imagine it would be a powerful symbol to have flying behemoth watching you from above