An alternate history of animated films

What Dr. Seuss story should Warner Brothers make a film of first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, Heavy Traffic was already released by this point. (Remember that the animation age ghetto won't be as strong ITTL, so the outrage probably won't be AS bad.)

Fleischer's Fritz the Cat is released, being the second film directed by new Fleischer head Ralph Bakshi, and the first ever animated film to receive an X rating from the MPAA. The film is controversial due to its edgy content, and is hated by the source material's author Robert Crumb so much that he plans on killing off the character in a future installment, but the film is still a box office success.

For the family-friendly side of things, MGM releases The Trumpet of the Swan. The film gets decent reception from critics and audiences, and even E.B. White finds himself enjoying the film, despite criticizing some of the changes.

I'm halfway through the seventies, but there's still some stuff I haven't figured out about the eighties.

For starters, what should I do with Tim Burton? I had the idea that The Nightmare Before Christmas is a TV special instead of a feature ITTL, and a lot of his live-action films like Beetlejuice and the Batman films are stop-motion animated ITTL...but those films were the ideas of Warner Brothers, and not originally his ideas.

I also had the idea of him and Henry Selick teaming up with John Lasseter and the rest of the Pixar crew to do stop-motion/CGI hybrid films. (It's not as unlikely as you may think; Joe Ranft worked for both Henry Selick AND Pixar.)

What do you guys think?

Another question: what should the Sherman Brothers do now that Disney's animated feature department has closed down?

Should they continue working with Disney on the live-action films and television shows? Or work with some other animation studio?

Another question: what should the Sherman Brothers do now that Disney's animated feature department has closed down?

Should they continue working with Disney on the live-action films and television shows? Or work with some other animation studio?

I'd convince them to work elsewhere. Maybe some other animation company can convince Wilbert Awdry or Michael Bond to come see them and have the Sherman's do songs for adaptions of their works.

Next up is Chuck Jones' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

I don't know any British kid actors from the time, so I don't know who would voice Lucy, Edmund, Susan, and Peter, but here's the other voices I'm picturing.

The Professor: Les Tremayne
Aslan: Charlton Heston
The White Witch: Betty Lou Gerson
Mr. Tumnus: Peter Ustinov
Mr. Beaver: David Tomlinson
Mrs. Beaver: Angela Lansbury
The Queen's Dwarf: Paul Frees
Maugrim: Christopher Lee
Father Christmas: Cyril Ritchard

Warner Brothers releases Chuck Jones' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, adapted from the first of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia series.

The film gets decent to mixed reviews from critics, and is a decent box office success...but Lewis's stepson Douglas Gresham criticizes the direction of making the film a musical, resulting in Warner Brothers cancelling their plans to adapt the rest of the Narnia series. Instead, they get to work on another sequel: an adaptation of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

Next up is Fox Animation's first feature Flash Gordon, directed by George Lucas and animated by the former staff of Disney's feature department.

I'm not too familiar with Flash Gordon, so how similar do you think this film will be to OTL's Star Wars?

Walter Lantz's The Adventures of Tintin is also out next year.

Since I'm not too familiar with the Tintin franchise, anyone want to suggest ideas for that film?

Another thing I realized about the eighties is that's when Disney started doing their copyright extension IOTL.

Since Disney isn't as big a company ITTL...what if that DOESN'T happen? What if they're totally fine with letting Mickey become public domain, and decide to adopt a new character, like Winnie the Pooh, as their mascot instead?

Any other suggestions for Flash Gordon and Tintin before I move on?
For Tintin, how about Christopher Lee as Captain Haddock and Peter Cushing as Professor Calculus

As for Flash Gordon, How about Harrison Ford as Flash? Christopher would be great as Zarkov. (you can never go wrong with Christopher Lee IMHO) Kim Bassinger as Dale?