An Age of Prosperity

Where should the Capital of Dania be located

• Total voters
Prologue I
Prologue I: Introduction
9yzweGb.png

The coat of arms of the Estridsen dynasty. Itself a maternal branch of the Jelling Dynasty.
One of the most important and influential European houses, best known for supplying a long series of Danish Kings. It rose to prominence in around the 12th-13th century.
Its founder is Sweyn II of Denmark, the son of Estrid Svendsdatter, the daughter of Sweyn I of Denmark and sister to Canute the Great, and whom the dynasty is named after

Although Northern Europe today comprises a single sovereign state, this area of Europe once contained several people with some of these united by inherited ties of culture, political experience, and social sympathy. Nonetheless, today the state of the Grand Kingdom of Dania is in generally considered an ethnically homogenous nation. Moreover, their way of life is conditioned by the distinctive region which they inhabit, at the north-western part of the great Euro Asian land-mass.

Much of the land that this Danish Kingdom encompasses is often considered infertile, which truthfully have created some limitations to the population. Nonetheless, the image of the infertile north that some people paints, are as a matter of fact untrue.

The cradle of this nation, the region known as Denmark and in ancient times the Kingdom of Denmark is fertile and especially the islands boast excellent soil. That does not change the fact that the northern reaches of the Grand Kingdom have poor soil, deep forests and are overall, compared to the rest of Europe and the Grand Kingdom sparsely inhabited.

Comparing these northern lying areas in the Grand Kingdom to areas at the same latitude elsewhere, paints another picture, as such areas can be described as desolate and not necessarily suitable for human habitation.

People like to describe the Danes and as such, the population of the Grand Kingdom, as pioneers that through generations of hard work and toil have managed to conquer this northern part of the world. There is a certain truth to such a statement.

During its long history, the core territory of the Grand Kingdom, that of the old Kingdom of Denmark. Retained a generous surplus of food, resulting in a surplus of population. The effect of this was not a policy per say, but more of a tradition.

It became very common, if not sometimes expected that younger sons would leave, and travel to the less developed areas of the Kingdom, to create a life for themselves. This exodus of people from the more well developed and populated areas of the Grand Kingdom is an important building block that explains the modern state today.

Another of these building blocks is of course what was known as, in English, the Baltic Sea. In Danish, it is simply known as Vorhav which roughly translates to Our Sea. This is not the original name of the Baltic Sea, in Danish when it was still the Kingdom of Denmark, the Baltic was known as Østersøen, The Eastern Sea.

The current Danish name is obviously tied to the fact that the Baltic Sea no longer lays to the east of the Kingdom but lays in its center and is an integral part of the Grand Kingdom. Few people would deny such a statement.

This short introduction to the Grand Kingdom of Dania and its territory are a mere quick glance. To the south of the Baltic Sea are where the majority of the population lives, and the rugged isles in the North Atlantic are another place where the Danes have resolved to eke out a living. This book will take a closer look at it all, including its old colonies, the ones in the New World which managed to gain independence decades and centuries ago, and the colonies elsewhere in the world which only in recent time have managed to get independence. – An introduction to Danish Studies. Kenneth Hughes.

LuKZHdr.jpg

An image of Holger Danske [Ogier the Dane], a legendary figure and knight of Charlemagne. in Danish legends he has taken a position of "king in the mountain", a sacred protector that in times of need will rise from his sleep and save the country

An often-debated question is who the founder of the Grand Kingdom of Dania was, something that to this day remain a discussed topic, equally among the experts and the less educated but interested groups.

Other nations have great kings which deeds and rulership often are seen as the foundation that the realm is built upon. Such as Alfred the Great and Charlemagne to mention just a few prominent examples.

Some nations have of course not had these legendary figures, or their founders are just less commonly known compared to the above examples. Dania has had its share of great kings, no less than three of their kings have been bestowed the style The Great, Respectively Knut II, King of England, Denmark and Norway (995-1035). Valdemar I, King of Denmark (1131-1182) and Valdemar II, King of Denmark (1170-1241) also often known as Sejr, “The Victorious” to differentiate him from his father.

But these are not the only options, how about the king that is seen as the founder of precursor kingdom of Dania; Gorm the Old (913-958), the first King of Denmark which we know actually existed, or Harald Bluetooth (936-987), the son of Gorm, and which proved instrumental in converting the pagan Danish population to Christianity, which have influenced the country so much.

Then there is the first Grand King of Dania Valdemar VI (1356-1433) besides being the first Grand King, during Valdemar VI’s reign the realm withdrew from the Catholic church and the first few steps of the Nordic schism happened during his reign, which eventually resulted in the religious institution that remains dominant to this day in Dania, which goes under several names in English, such as The Danish Church, The Nordic Church, and the Runic Church.

But Valdemar VI was not the architect of the Grand Kingdom, he merely inherited it, his own father, the last King of Denmark Erik V (1332-1389), was the man that stood behind the dream and the, now known, forged documents that Valdemar VI used to justify his coronation as Grand King of Dania, and not King of Denmark.

My argument is that Valdemar II, known either as The Great or The Victorious should be considered as one of the more vital if not the most vital King in Danish history and in the founding of the Grand Kingdom of Dania. As such he should take the placement in Danish history that Alfred the Great does in English history.

But to explain the success of Valdemar II’s reign, one needs to understand the foundation that he built it upon, which he inherited from his older brother Knud VI and his Father Valdemar I.

Last edited:
Well what is this.?

Roughly two years ago I started my first timeline, named An age of prosperity for the Kingdom of Denmark. I worked on it for 1,5 year before I got burned out.
The last few months I've been wanting to take up the torch I left, and this thread will do just that.

I will be restarting it because I wanna redo some of the earlier work, when I get past that I am mostly gonna reuse the newer work as that require less work. (IMO)

One of the reasons for this is that when I started the original time line, I had one goal in mind, Danish conquest of the Baltic and keeping it that way to "modern times"

What I did not expect was for the timeline to establish a quite different Danish culture very distinct from the rest of Europe.

So with the rewriting of the early parts, I will establish this change earlier than before.

I furthermore wanna change a couple of things. Such as more internal problems for Denmark/Dania.

Now, this is the chance if you're a former reader and wanna take this up again to get a bit of influence too!

Are there any parts that you despised/did not like, either story wise or plausibility wise? Comment on it and I will take it into consideration.

Regards Bastiram.

Thank you! I really missed this story. I loved the internal politics and all the maps with the growth of the provinces, cities and churches, so I'd like to see more of that. I also remembered that Lithuania was inherited as a distinct entity, but I forgot if it integrated into the Grand Kingdom or if something else happened. Anyways, I'm just happy this is back.

I would put in another comment for changing the (royal) capital to roughly where Karlshamn (which you used as Volkhavn) is. It would help differentiate Dania from Denmark, and it would be even more central to the country (it's still in precursor Denmark, but not quite as obnoxiously so, which might be relevant before the country is truly unified and ethnicity and culture), and support the slightly eastward focus that your royals have had (leaving colonizing to the mercantile class focused in Copenhagen, Lübeck, Hamburg and later on Bergen) ... This would also help the Merchantile class to become a strong independent party a number of generations down the road (due to the fact that the king aren't quite as close and willing to breathe down their necks) which could easily be just as periodically antagonistic towards to Grand King (specially when he gets into wars on their southern or eastern borders), and maybe even a competent side if Dania somehow evolves a environment where we have four strong 'estates' with widely different opinions between the (rich) Oligarchic Merchants from Western Dania (aforementioned merchant cities and their environs), (militant) Aristocratic Nobles from Southern Dania (rest of the south Baltic coastland and their hinterlands, (manpower-rich) proto-democratic peasants (Sweden and Finland) and the (generally well-liked) Religious faction (Northern Norway and parts of the Baltic?) with the Royals having to balance them depending on the specific kings inclinations and issues

Thank you! I really missed this story. I loved the internal politics and all the maps with the growth of the provinces, cities and churches, so I'd like to see more of that. I also remembered that Lithuania was inherited as a distinct entity, but I forgot if it integrated into the Grand Kingdom or if something else happened. Anyways, I'm just happy this is back.

Hopefully, this will add even more internal politics and flesh out the grand kingdom, likewise churches and cities. I also plan to keep the population growth!

As for Lithuania, yea that was a distinct entity that was in a PU with Dania. This is likely to change, exactly how I need to decide upon. But in the story, it seemed a mere footnote and I did not like that.

I would put in another comment for changing the (royal) capital to roughly where Karlshamn (which you used as Volkhavn) is. It would help differentiate Dania from Denmark, and it would be even more central to the country (it's still in precursor Denmark, but not quite as obnoxiously so, which might be relevant before the country is truly unified and ethnicity and culture)

I was actually looking into something different that København, not exactly as you have put it here. But a month or two ago I nearly started two conversations with you and Jürgen, in regards for a new name for København, in the end, I felt that the etymological background for the name left little to work around and put down the idea.

Next up I had the idea to use Malmø or OTL Landskrona as a way to differentiate this ATL Denmark with OTL Denmark, but I did not exactly like either of these (I feel like if you're putting a capital at the Øresund, the natural choice would be København, and to a lesser degree Kronborg/Helsingør) in this ATL the foundation work for Kronborg as the capital is not a thing and as such it is no choice at all (no Øresund Toll)

I actually originally planned for Kronborg to become the capital but changed it later.

The good news is that there is no de facto capital (the closest we get to that in Valdemar II's time is Vordingborg (IMO) and that is more of a base of operation for the baltic expeditions.)
Furthermore, I don't see Vordingborg being a place to have a capital (no significant natural habour)

it would be even more central to the country (it's still in precursor Denmark, but not quite as obnoxiously so, which might be relevant before the country is truly unified and ethnicity and culture)

I think it is important for the discussion of an alternative capital, to keep it inside the borders of "old" Denmark, and realistically speaking keeping it to either Sjælland or the eastern part of the Kingdom. I think it wouldn't go down well with the Danish nobles if it is removed from OTL Denmark.

and support the slightly eastward focus that your royals have had (leaving colonizing to the mercantile class focused in Copenhagen, Lübeck, Hamburg and later on Bergen) ... This would also help the Merchantile class to become a strong independent party a number of generations down the road (due to the fact that the king aren't quite as close and willing to breathe down their necks) which could easily be just as periodically antagonistic towards to Grand King (specially when he gets into wars on their southern or eastern borders)

That's a good point, I had København act very much in the king's interest (being "his" city) it could be fun to add another major city to the mix (even if København is not a capital it is placed too well not to grow big).

And I agree such a move where the capital is not the largest or even in the top 5 of cities population wise, will add an interesting aspect to the development of the Grandkingdom.

you made a great Time Line, but if I could give an advice, I think that Denmark was too successful and too perfect last time, I hope that Denarmk would get few drawbacks, inconveniences and would not be too advanced culturally and socially.

Next up I had the idea to use Malmø or OTL Landskrona as a way to differentiate this ATL Denmark with OTL Denmark, but I did not exactly like either of these (I feel like if you're putting a capital at the Øresund, the natural choice would be København, and to a lesser degree Kronborg/Helsingør) in this ATL the foundation work for Kronborg as the capital is not a thing and as such it is no choice at all (no Øresund Toll)

I actually originally planned for Kronborg to become the capital but changed it later.

If Malmö, then København is better because of the superior natural harbour, Helsingør/Helsingborg suffers somewhat from the fact that their stratetically important position aren't quite as relevant if those owning it also own just about everything in the Baltics, in which case the argument could be made that it'd be the penultimate defence line against naval attacks into the Baltics

I think it is important for the discussion of an alternative capital, to keep it inside the borders of "old" Denmark, and realistically speaking keeping it to either Sjælland or the eastern part of the Kingdom. I think it wouldn't go down well with the Danish nobles if it is removed from OTL Denmark.

Which aren't a point against Karlshamn, since that's in Blekinge, which is part of Old Denmark, while at the same time not excatly considered a critical part, since it might well have been the least developed - which is both good and bad due less toes stepped on due to severely expanding the area, but on the flipside, more expensive to expand the area due to limited infrastructure outside a very good natural harbour - which means that the powers-that-be based outside of Old Denmark can allow themselves to believe that the seat of power aren't quite as blatantly 'excluding' them by being in the middle of Denmark

That's a good point, I had København act very much in the king's interest (being "his" city) it could be fun to add another major city to the mix (even if København is not a capital it is placed too well not to grow big).

And I agree such a move where the capital is not the largest or even in the top 5 of cities population wise, will add an interesting aspect to the development of the Grandkingdom.

The idea I would have is to try and see how decentralized the power centers can be without interferring with the fact that it's, at the end of the day, a relatively strong king. There'd be a Mercantile stronghold (focused on Lübeck probably, but Hamburg, Bergen and maybe København being strong secondary contenders), a Royal/Naval Stronghold (in Karlshamn, and maybe Visby?), a Religious stronghold (in Lund, Nidaros and maybe Uppsala and/or Riga) and finally a Army stronghold (Marches to the south, Maybe Stettin being the key point, and either Tallinn or Vyborg in the east). The cohesion of the nation would specially be helped by the fact that other than perhaps Bregen and Nidaros, all major centers are within a short skip and hop across the Baltic

There’s two arguments for Malmö, it lies close to Falsterbo and Lund. But I think Blekinge are simply too much of a backwater.

you made a great Time Line, but if I could give an advice, I think that Denmark was too successful and too perfect last time, I hope that Denarmk would get few drawbacks, inconveniences and would not be too advanced culturally and socially.

Thanks.

Yes one of the main reasons for me not just picking up the TL again, is to introduce some inconveniences and internal trouble. Hopefully, I succeed at that.

As for the cultural aspect, it is the other reason I'm taking this approach, so can't promise that the culture won't be advanced, though I am also unsure what kind of metric that is ;)

If Malmö, then København is better because of the superior natural harbour, Helsingør/Helsingborg suffers somewhat from the fact that their stratetically important position aren't quite as relevant if those owning it also own just about everything in the Baltics, in which case the argument could be made that it'd be the penultimate defence line against naval attacks into the Baltics

Yea I agree the big problem for Malmø is nearby and far superior habour in København, (do Malmø even have a proper natural habour ?).
I also agree with the Helsingør and Helsingborg aspect, the lack of introduction of the Sound dues, due to control of the Baltic is the reason that Helsingør did not become my choice as a capital. They're both gonna be significant cities in their own right, but unlikely to be the real winners in this TL.

If I remember correct one of the only coal deposits in Scandinavia is located relatively close to Helsingør, but it poor quality and does not exist in large quantities.

I also thought about Lund shortly but it is simply the same problems a Malmø... (IMO)

Which aren't a point against Karlshamn, since that's in Blekinge, which is part of Old Denmark, while at the same time not excatly considered a critical part, since it might well have been the least developed

Yea totally did not mean it as a counter-argument against yours, more if people wanted to chime in with different placements.

I think the development of Blekinge is an important aspect and will address that in an answer to Jürgen further down.

which is both good and bad due less toes stepped on due to severely expanding the area, but on the flipside, more expensive to expand the area due to limited infrastructure outside a very good natural harbour which means that the powers-that-be based outside of Old Denmark can allow themselves to believe that the seat of power aren't quite as blatantly 'excluding' them by being in the middle of Denmark

I must admit I really dig the idea of having the capital of Dania being different (yet believable) placed. having it "merely" being a city amongst others is really alluring to me, compared to say a London/Paris or as København is today in Denmark.

Speaking of natural habours, strictly speaking of these I see four choices in "Old Denmark":

København. An actual town/city already in the 13th century. Located on the western side of the Øresund on Sjælland

Sønder Sæby (Landskrona) founded in 1405, so a mere fishing village in the 13th century. Located on the eastern side of the Øresund, Skåne. supposedly the best natural habour in Skåne, though I don't know how it compares to the next two

Bodekull (Karlshamn) likely a fishing village too, especially during the 13th century. Located in the western part of Blekinge relative close to Sølvsborg.

Lykkeby / Lykå (Karlskrona) Great natural habour too, unsure how it compares to the others. Located in the eastern part of Blekinge. arguably a much more defensible position than the three others.

The idea I would have is to try and see how decentralized the power centers can be without interferring with the fact that it's, at the end of the day, a relatively strong king. There'd be a Mercantile stronghold (focused on Lübeck probably, but Hamburg, Bergen and maybe København being strong secondary contenders), a Royal/Naval Stronghold (in Karlshamn, and maybe Visby?), a Religious stronghold (in Lund, Nidaros and maybe Uppsala and/or Riga) and finally a Army stronghold (Marches to the south, Maybe Stettin being the key point, and either Tallinn or Vyborg in the east). The cohesion of the nation would specially be helped by the fact that other than perhaps Bregen and Nidaros, all major centers are within a short skip and hop across the Baltic

Yea Lybæk will play the role of being the largest city (undecided if it stays the largest) in the middle ages and later centuries.

I have plans for Visby / Gotland so we will see how those go exactly later on.

As for religious strongholds, if I keep as I did in the old timeline Dorpat will take the position of Riga in the east, but essentially those are the important centers.

I have big plans for Stettin, I did too in the old timeline, but these are not necessarily against the army strongholds as you put it. But if all goes well Stettin is likely going to be the big winner during the industrial revolution / age.

here’s two arguments for Malmö, it lies close to Falsterbo and Lund.

Falsterbo is of course something to consider, yet I think it have become less relevant when an actual capital have to be established (around the 15-16th century?)

But I think Blekinge are simply too much of a backwater.

While I agree that Blekinge is initially a backwater. the longer the timeline waits with establishing a capital, the less it is a backwater.

It is important to note, at least I think so, that Småland will be regarded as part of the Denmark proper, and not a seperate province. Placing Blekinge a bit more centrally.

Combining that with a greater population with the eastern parts of Skåne, Blekinge and the coast of Småland until Kalmar (and a bit more north) this stretch of coast is likely to be much more important than history.

Nonetheless when a capital IS established Northern Sjælland and Western Skåne around the Øresund is gonna be the most prosperous and populated area of the Kingdom with several cities (Lund, Malmø, København, Helsingborg, Helsingør etc.

While Eastern Skåne, Blekinge and Coastal Småland will have places such as Rønneby, Kalmar, Sølvsborg and Væ.

---

I will say I like the idea about the Capital not being København, but of course I also want it to be a sensible choice.

For now Vordingborg will remain the de facto Capital (not official), but I think we can all agree upon it not lasting.

Blekinge will almost certainly stay a relative backwater for a simple reason; the soil or rather the relative lack of it lack of it. While North Eastern Zealand and western Scania wasn’t the most fertile areas of Denmark (that honor goes to Lolland-Falster and Schleswig), the deep soil allowed large estates and with fertilizer from Copenhagen the local peasants grew rich. But the in Blekinge agriculture are limited by the soil only being a thinlayer on top of grundfjeldet, which mean that the rural population around a capital there will stay low, creating a artificial capital isolated from the population and the non- political and administrative elite. Placing the capital in Øresund ensure that the capital lies in a place with large capital consolidation and in the most important transportation hub in the Baltic (even today).

reading all the talk about moving the capital brought me to look at the maps.
It is always the question when the capital is moved, if its in later years where the baltic sea is already the danish seas i really would like to see the capital moved to gotland.
In earlier years i just dont see a move away from the original spot since a lot of money comes in through the sund and if the danish navy is strong is fairly defensive as well.

Blekinge will almost certainly stay a relative backwater for a simple reason; the soil or rather the relative lack of it lack of it. While North Eastern Zealand and western Scania wasn’t the most fertile areas of Denmark (that honor goes to Lolland-Falster and Schleswig), the deep soil allowed large estates and with fertilizer from Copenhagen the local peasants grew rich. But the in Blekinge agriculture are limited by the soil only being a thinlayer on top of grundfjeldet, which mean that the rural population around a capital there will stay low, creating a artificial capital isolated from the population and the non- political and administrative elite. Placing the capital in Øresund ensure that the capital lies in a place with large capital consolidation and in the most important transportation hub in the Baltic (even today).

All valid points, but I wonder how much of this is hindsight.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the people of that day were ignorant of the agricultural potential of an area.

Even more when it is time for a capital to be placed, I don't think it is too much of a stretch that a city such as Lybæk would oppose København fearing the prominence that København would rightfully gain.

reading all the talk about moving the capital brought me to look at the maps.
It is always the question when the capital is moved, if its in later years where the baltic sea is already the danish seas i really would like to see the capital moved to gotland.

Symbolic it could be fun, but if Blekinge is already stretching it, Gotland is likely way out of the picture, even if Visby is prominent at this period.

In earlier years i just dont see a move away from the original spot since a lot of money comes in through the sund and if the danish navy is strong is fairly defensive as well.

It's important to note that at this period, so Valdemar II and forward a century or two, there is no actual capital as we think of it today.
instead the capital is where the court is, and the court is relative mobile. The closest we get to a capital is likely Vordingborg (founded by Valdemar I i believe) on Sourthern Zealand, and Nyborg on southern Funen.

I have been thinking about Vordingborg, but there is no natural habour so to speak of.

It lost its prominence after Valdemar II's death.

Prologue II
Prologue II: Valdemar I. 1147-1182
PLVMZLI.jpg

Statue of Valdemar I the Great, outside St. Benedicts Church in Ringsted.

Valdemar II’s father had, from his position as Duke of Sønderjylland, emerged as the somewhat unlikely victor in a three-way civil war (1147-1157) between three claimants to the Danish throne.

Valdemar I had then used his position to centralize the kingdom, this centralization was further helped by his close relationship with the powerful Hvide clan, which produced many of the bishops and archbishops in the period.

Under Valdemar I Denmark saw its first forages into what would dominate Danish foreign policy for the next century and a half, the conquest of the Baltic Sea.

Over a 10-year period (1159-1169) Valdemar I with the support of the Danish church led several campaigns against the Wends to the south which ended with the final triumphant conquest and conversion of the Rani tribe and the establishment of the Principality of Rygen [Fyrstedømmet Rygien].

G3Jcqts.png

Bishop Absalon topples the god Svatevit at Arkona in 1169, following this the rest of the Rani capitulated.

The establishment of the Principality and the conversion of the isle would prove an important boon to Danish ambitions in the south of the Baltic as the conversion of the island and territories belonging to it proved to be a lasting one.

Tetzlav of Rygen, likely calling himself king, had led the last years of eventually unsuccessful defiance against the Danish invaders and would in 1168 recognize the suzerainty of the Danish king over Rygen.

For the last few years of his life, he remained the ruler of Rygen now with the title of Prince, with his conversion he avoided the disempowerment that the pagan Sventovit priests suffered.

kaK2nvL.png

Several monasteries, mostly Danish but also Saxon emerged in the Principality as part of the Christianization of the Rani tribe.

Tetzlav died in 1181[1] leaving the principality in the hands of his brother Jaromar I, which likewise had converted back in 1168. Jaromar I would integrate himself and the Principality into Denmark by his marriage to the bastard daughter of Knud V of Denmark, a lady known as Hildegard of Denmark. Knud V had been an important ally of Valdemar I during the previous civil war but had fallen during the treachours Blood feast of Roskilde, engineered by Svend III Grathe another of the claimants to the throne.

Only one child is known to be the result of this match, his eventual heir Vitslav. Jaromar I would continue the policy of integrating into the Danish aristocracy by securing the hand of a lady from the Hvide family for his son. A niece of Absalon himself and likely from the Galen clan [2]

While Valdemar is perhaps best known for his triumphs of wars, he also had a profound effect on Danish society.

He reformed the Leding duty, in essence, the entirety of Denmark was at this time divided into Herreder, depending on the population each of these was bound to support the king with one to four ships when Leding was called. Resulting in roughly 600-800 ships each with 40-42 rowers and a captain.

ysHWjr6.jpg

The Herreds of Denmark, as they probably existed in Valdemar I's time.

Valdemar took the leding system and split it into two, udgærsleding and retleding. At its most basic the system made it as such when leding was called only a fourth of the herreds had to supply ships and men, the so-called Udgærsleding, while the remaining three out of four herreds had to pay a tax instead of serving, the so-called retleding. The Udgærsleding was based on a rotation-based system, all herreds shared equally the burden.

Besides reforming the leding, Valdemar I also likely established what can be called the first real tax system in Denmark. Instead of having the burden of housing the king when he traveled the country and governing it, the peasants instead had to simply pay a tax to the royal representative in a given area. This system under Valdemar I is likely a sort of proto-Lens that Valdemar II would further expand on.

These reforms meant that Valdemar had less of a military force to call upon each campaign season. Yet even with only a fourth of the herreds supplying ships and men, Valdemar could still field 6.500-8.500 solely due to the Leding system, while the new system gave Valdemar I a relatively large income that he could use as he saw fit.

These steps taken by Valdemar I is often seen as crucial for the further modernizing of Danish society which still clung to its pagan past 300-years after the conversion of the Kingdom.

Finally, in 1182 after 28 years on the Danish throne and sole king of Denmark, Valdemar died leaving the throne to his Eldest son Knud VI. Valdemar I was interred in the Benedictine monastery in Ringsted, which remains today the resting place for the vast majorities of Danish monarchs.

[1] It is unknown when Teztlav died, the last written records of him is from 1170, while the next ruler first became sole ruler of the principality in 1181.

[2] The Galen Clan is likely an offshoot of the Hvide Clan located in Skåne

Last edited:
Is this otl? or is this setting us up for the POD

OTL, in the previous TL I started with the POD. In this I wanted to give the readers that don't know Danish history, a more comprehensive background of how Valdemar II is able to what he did in my TL.

The POD remains the same as in the previous TL (with Valdemar II) the POD starts at a time where Denmark has already conquered the most crucial parts of the southern Baltic, and if you do not know how that happened it can seem a bit fantastical what I had Valdemar II do.

There is one part that is not OTL, that is the Christianization of the Rani tribe picture. I have changed the names to be Danish. but importantly these cities Danholm (instead of Stralsund) are founded after the POD so...

OTL, in the previous TL I started with the POD. In this I wanted to give the readers that don't know Danish history, a more comprehensive background of how Valdemar II is able to what he did in my TL.

The POD remains the same as in the previous TL (with Valdemar II) the POD starts at a time where Denmark has already conquered the most crucial parts of the southern Baltic, and if you do not know how that happened it can seem a bit fantastical what I had Valdemar II do.

There is one part that is not OTL, that is the Christianization of the Rani tribe picture. I have changed the names to be Danish. but importantly these cities Danholm (instead of Stralsund) are founded after the POD so...
Setting up a denmark cotnrolled northern germany

Big Smoke

Banned
I think Copenhagen should be the capital, I mean, come one, its the Constantinople of the Baltic. It dominates it geographically, it should also dominate it politically. However, with this Constantinople analogy, is it possible to have Constantinople expand to both sides of the Sound? Looking at the map, what about Hœlsingburgh in Lyuthgud?
I would really love for you to continue your old timeline instead, but oh well.

I think Copenhagen should be the capital, I mean, come one, its the Constantinople of the Baltic. It dominates it geographically,
'
Copenhagen today dominates the sound, it does less so currently

it should also dominate it politically.
Actually, Lund is the most important city near the Øresund at the current time (being the seat of the Archbishopric of Lund). I can't stress this enough what is now Copenhagen is at this time, is A not the capital of Denmark (Denmark don't have a defacto capital at this) B it is a city belonging to the Bishopric of Roskilde.

However, with this Constantinople analogy, is it possible to have Constantinople expand to both sides of the Sound? Looking at the map, what about Hœlsingburgh in Lyuthgud?
I plan for the entirety of the shoreline of the Øresund to be a built together Metropol. With continues city from OTL Copenhagen to Helsingør, and likewise Malmø to Helsingborg.

Helsingborg is likely gonna suffer from what Helsingør also will in this timeline, (no sound dues) as such it will remain a predominantly military oriented city.It is however a city during this period and is a likely, yet unlikely, candidate.

I would really love for you to continue your old timeline instead, but oh well.

I hope it won't take me that long to catch up, I just want to redo the first 100-200 years, from that I won't do near as much.

Also 2 updates in and my schedule is already in shambles, planned to have the last prologue up the 24, and the actual pod up tomorrow. But what has become a scary/annoying tendency happened yet again this year... I'm sick during Christmas :p