An Age of Prosperity, The Kingdom of Denmark

Population at Konrad II's coronation
Population of the lands controlled by Konrad II, Grand King of Dania and Grand Duke of Lithuania.

Grand Duchy of Lithuania: 490.000

Provinces & Kronstæder of Dania: 8.647.500
  • Danmark: 1.750.000
  • Irish Provinces: 900.000
    - Corcaigh: 370.000
    - Daire: 350.000
    - Luimneach: 100.000
    - Gaillimh: 80.000
  • Mittelmark: 600.000
  • Samland: 430.000
  • Livonien: 410.000
  • Masurien: 400.000
  • Pomeranien: 370.000
  • Mecklenburg: 360.000
  • Svearland: 330.000
  • Holsten: 310.000
  • Viken: 290.000
  • Neumark-Silesien 260.000
  • Rygen: 210.000
  • Finland: 200.000
  • Väster Götland: 200.000
  • Bergen: 180.000
  • Öster Götland: 145.000
  • Nidaros 135.000
  • Estland: 115.000
  • Pskov: 110.000
  • Lübeck: 110.000
  • Dalarna: 110.000
  • Iceland: 100.000
  • Hamburg: 75.000
  • Hälsingland 70.000
  • Pomormark: 65.000
  • Karelia: 60.000
  • Ingria: 60.000
  • Markland: 55.000
  • Riga: 45.000
  • Gdansk: 40.000
  • Stettin: 35.000
  • Nevastad: 30.000
  • Rostock: 30.000
  • Visby: 25.000
  • Pskov: 25.000
  • North Atlantic Isles 22.000
  • Kalmar: 17.000
  • Upsalla: 15.000
  • Vinland: 15.000
  • Ulfsholm: 12.500
  • Aalborg: 12.000
  • Wismar: 12.000
  • Talinn: 10.000
  • Stralsund: 9.500
  • Griefswald: 8.500
  • Neuburg: 8.000
  • Narva: 7.000
  • Pernau: 5.000
  • Vänta: 4.000
----------------------------
I will throw in a map in the next few days, I just have some decisions to make about it. I spent 2-3 hours yesterday adding cities/towns from Norway and Sweden to it. And I'm not sure it gives the best representation, I could add a huge number of towns and cities for Sweden, just due to its sheer size [I found which places had town rights from 16th century or earlier] and while it did represent how I imagine the area developing [Many cities in the Central Swedish Lowlands, a very large agriculture area, and few cities/towns in the more forested areas]

Map 1560
cDQmD9D.png

Kronmark
Konrad and The New World

Konrad II, had never imagined becoming king, especially not at such a young age. Just two years younger than his elder brother, he had grown up together with the future king of Dania, often participating in the same lesson as Valdemar IX, yet still distinctly in the shadow. His father had planned for him to have a career in the military, and many of his tutors had been the favourites of Erik VI and in the inner circle of the Danish government. So that both Konrad, but also Valdemar would gain a proper military upbringing.

Konrad and Valdemar became close, as both were close to each other’s age. Valdemar was the spitting image of their father, aggressive, and with a love for all things military. Konrad on the other hand, always in the shadow of Valdemar, was more reigned in, while they were close, he had to guard his thoughts more closely than Valdemar. Yet Valdemar would grow up to respect his little brother, and listen to Konrad’s, often more well thought out arguments.

In the aristocratic circles, or at least those with access to the palace and the royal family, many expected Valdemar to continue his father’s policies, which had been successful, if a bit expensive for the resulting gains. But where Erik, had no one to reign him in, and only listened to either his military advisers or the whims of his various mistresses. Valdemar on the other hand, at least would have the steady and calming presence of his brother to reign in the excesses that royalty sometimes indulge in. Even if Valdemar at age 17 already had gone through two mistresses, and gotten at least one known bastard.

As for Konrad and his future, his father Erik had planned to give Konrad a military posting in Mittelmark when he reached the age of 17, and while his studies increasingly were directed toward taking control of Mittelmark, which in the eyes of Erik, would become one of the most important provinces of Dania, due to location in the south, but also due to the already large population, the economic prowess and potential of the area.

Konrad can only be said to have taken upon his studies dutifully, but if he had, had a choice about his future, it would be to sail west. Konrad and Valdemar, had grown up with the stories and news of their father’s war against the Spanish, and both had been present when Sebastián de Toledo visited the king, but only one of the young men, listened intensely, when de Toledo, told about his adventures in the service of the Grand King.

The death of his father came as a surprise, still relatively young, and while Valdemar was crowned Grand King, and held court for the dignities of Europe, Konrad, travelled to Mittelmark, to the city of Brandenburg an der Havel, the regional capital of the area. And while Valdemar began the first steps to gain an alliance with France, Konrad moved his residence from the meagre Brandenburg an der Havel, to the just as dull city of Spandau.

Located more centrally than Brandenburg, Spandau would be easier to defend in case of a war with Saxony. Furthermore, it was located conveniently, on the confluence of the Havel river and the Spree river, making it a natural choice. Spandau was also located close to other urban settings, such as the cities of Cölln and Berlin on the Spree river, and Potsdam on the Havel river.

Konrad, being a royal prince and brother to the Grand King himself, was naturally an important person, and his presence in Mittelmark, brought more than just the Prince, Konrad had greater access to the royal treasury than nearly everyone else in the Kingdom. And he used this access to fund not only the border defences of Mittelmark, but also a palace in Spandau, fortifications in the towns and cities around Spandau were expanded, and when his plans and projects in and around Mittelmark finally was completed years later, Spandau was a real contender, of being the best defended city of the Grand Kingdom, maybe even the best defended city in Europe.

Spandau owes its prominence due to the activities of Konrad, and while Konrad never got to live long in the city, his actions during the few months certainly laid the foundations, of Spandau's eventual dominance of Mittelmark, as its greatest city. As for Konrad, while overseeing the construction of one of the fortresses on the border of Dania and Saxony, he got the news of his brother’s untimely death. Which saw Konrad leave for København in short order.

Konrad would visit Spandau on occasions following his coronation, but never for long. While the city and its town privileges go back to the early 13th century, this period of the 15th century is often dubbed as the real founding of the city. The city would honour the memory of Konrad, by adopting the name Konradstadt after his death.

Before Konrad was crowned, he had originally planned , if possible, to influence the Danish colonial policies from the side. It is true that he was young, but being the king's brother certainly gives influence. His plans for this had never had time to emerge during his short tenure at Mittelmark, much as he had just recently arrived there, so too was Konrad’s brother newly crowned. And talks about the new territories far to the west had been put aside, for more immediate concerns. Such as the blustering Saxony to the south, and the negotiation of a new ally.

So, when Konrad took the throne, the young king just shy of 18 years, stood in the somewhat remarkable position, of being able to decide the policies towards the new world, and the recently gained territories there. In short order de Toledo, was called to the capital, from his estates in eastern Skåne, and with a handful of other advisers, mainly from the Kronstæder, the future of Kuba, Markland and Vinland would be decided.

While Markland and Vinland, just consisted of autonomous farmsteads, and a few towns that could not really be described as cities, Kuba was quite different. De Toledo’s discovery of gold on the isle, had clearly been unsuccessful, and the isle lacked a clear purpose, besides being a point where the Danish flag was planted. Still money had been poured into it during his father’s reign, and the defences of Mariashavn stood strong, near 3.000 men had decided to stay behind, either as soldiers, or as civilians, gaining land in the process. As such, a series of villages had sprung up around Mariashavn, and the former soldiers now toiled away producing agricultural products from the fertile land of the island.

Still, it was a sparse populated place, not even reaching 5.000 Europeans, and by now, the indigenous population of the isle had been decimated from sudden illness’ to becoming enslaved by Spain due to their hunger for manpower in their gold mines. Worse about these 5.000 people that lived so far from Europe, was that the population by far was not sustainable. As there was a distinct lack of women. Compared to Markland and Vinland, where entire families sometimes uprooted themselves from Iceland or Ireland, to pursue a new life in these settlements. In Kuba that was not the case.

As for Markland and Vinland, they first of all a much larger population, which was not only sustainable, but thriving, what it did not have, was peace at its borders. Skraelings, pushed the boundaries of the European settlements and it was not uncommon that either side of the conflict went on punitive expedition, to the dread of the somewhat innocent bystanders. There was also the case, that the two might not look forward to further influence from Dania in their adopted homeland.

So, each of the two required different policies, that much was clear. To alleviate the distinct demographic problems that Kuba was facing, a policy of shipping off poor and criminal women to the island became a reality, though men would also come to the new world from this policy. Another policy which, if questionable ethically, remained a substantial source of the needed women in Kuba, was orphans, these where often shipped to Kuba, with the poor and criminals, it helped that orphans often were poor, due to obvious reasons. They were on the other hand, often preferred over the older, and more lewd criminals and poor people.
This deliberate movement, of less than desirable people from Dania towards Kuba, would help stabilize the demographic situation of the Danish colony in the Caribbean, and soon the entire island, except for the eastern part felt the presence of Dania.

Now all it needed was to become economically viable, the hope that the island would become a source of gold took a firm second seat, instead the plan was to rely on the growing of sugar, on the suggestion of de Toledo, mirroring a development happening on the Spanish isles. But sugar plantations need manpower, here the poor and criminal male settlers would come into the picture as it was after all expensive for Dania to ship these off to the New World, as such, they would be required to work a few years in sugar plantations, or other such backbreaking work, before they could take their future in their own hands. Though experience would soon prove that the North European settlers, was ill suited for the plantation work combined with the climate of Kuba.

As for the Markland and Vinland settlements, under Danish rule, they would be firmly established as Kronmark by Konrad in 1557. The two would remain distinct from each other, but Vinland, would be ruled from Kronborg [OTL Montreal] in Markland. At the time Kronborg was the second largest town or city, depending on the definition, but ideally and centrally located. The largest urban settlement remained the aptly named Kronhavn [OTL Quebec] being the principal harbour of Kronmark, here the large ships from Europe would arrive. Here cargo would be transferred to either barges, or ships more suited for traversing the Great River, indeed the old ships of the Norsemen, were still put to good use here. Centuries after they had spread fear across Europe.

While the inhabitants of Kronmark were not exactly pleased when the newly appointed Gældker [Governor] arrived, and took control of the “newly” established colony. Bergen had never done such a thing, and the governing of the settlements, had been more akin to the Icelandic Althing. Where judgements and the law were passed. Instead, they now had to learn to live under the supremacy, of one man, appointed by another man, half a world away. The gældker was joined by not only senior and junior clergymen, but also priests, all so Danish rule would be complete.

The largest group of people that arrived with the Gældker, and probably the one that would be appreciated the most, was the thousands of soldiers. The inhabitants of Kronmark might not have liked the idea, at first, of being under Dania. They were, however, more than willing to accept the help of the veterans of Dania, from the battlefields of Europe, to the Caribbean, these men would help push back the Skraelings, and expand Kronmark, along the rivers that fed the Great river, and into the great lakes beyond.

Konrad and his advisors, had hoped that by aiding the Marklanders, in the bloody conflict with the various Skraeling tribes, that not only would the inhabitants of Kronmark, more readily accept, the meddling of Dania. But also, to gain access to manpower that they needed for the sugar plantations in Kuba. Soon in Kronhavn, it would not be an uncommon sight to see, the unfortunate victims of this policy, as a great number of Skraelings were shipped off to Kuba. Though much like the poor and criminals from Dania, these people taken captive would not fare well due to the extreme change in climate and due to illness and sickness, which inevitable took hold of nearly all Skraelings.

While the hope that slaves from in and around Kronmark would be able to feed the plantations of Kuba with slaves, it would be one of the policy’s that would end in failure. Which resulted in the first established slave fort in West Africa 15 years later. While slavery is nothing to proud of, the realistic view of it, is that it happened, and it contributed greatly to the development of both Kronmark and Kuba.

In Kronmark, soon so called slave hunters made their living by going into the wilderness, enslaving the neighbouring Skraeling population, even if the Skraelings had come to an agreement with the authorities of Kronmark, would it offer little protection against these people. Yet by far the largest producer of slaves, would be the soldiers that were sent into the conflict, and with the added weight of these, soon the borders of Kronmark expanded dramatically, and new land could be settled by the Europeans.

Dania would not immediately go on to supply settlers for Kronmark, the population, around 75.000 overall, did not have the more immediate concerns that Kuba did, as such, while some of the ships carrying criminals and poor people did arrive in Kronhavn, the majority continued to Kuba. Iceland and Ireland would remain the major provider of settlers, though Nidaros would also go on to supply quite a few. But as for the areas around the Baltic, if the peasants wanted to take up a new life elsewhere, then Dania had plenty of land at home that could serve that need.

The population of the Kronstæder, were a lot freer to choose, and would become a big part of the urban population of both Kuba and Kronmark. These early settlement patterns would have a marked effect on Kronmark, the population and the majority of the settlers did not speak Danish, but steadily the elite of Kronmark certainly did, as the merchants, and educated body of the colony increasingly came from Dania, or descended from these. Dania would build a lot of churches in Kronmark in these early years, and the priests that would go on to preach in these churches did so in Danish.

So, while the population might not have identified as Danish, they certainly began to speak the language.

-------------------------------------------------
So large update, about twice the size of the usual one. I tried to find pictures to break up the text a bit but couldn't find any, I hope that is okay. I had more planned for this update, but it was already quite long!

As for names, please speak up if they make no sense, I can't express how much I hate figuring out names for new places. I'm especially thinking about Kronhavn here and Konradstadt

The name Kronmark is something I have planned for quite a while, and I much prefer it over "Ny Danmark" etc, and I think it is reasonable assumption that a Danish setter colony could have ended up being called that.

I had original planned for the capital of Dania, to be Kronborg [better known in English as Elsinor] but its rise to power was butterflied away as no sound toll happened in TTL. To satisify my need to have a prominent city called "Kronborg" the capital of Kronmark seemed a apt choice.

Kronhavn, I don't necessarily dislike the name, I at one point was thinking about naming København that instead, my problem with it, in this context is that there already are Kronmark and borg, it is a lot of "Kron"

just to clarify, "Krone" is Crown in Danish.

I needed a name for the largest city in Mittelmark, Berlin was out due to associations with Germany, Cölln would have been a good choice, but then again there is Cologne in Lotharingia which is gonna play a big role there. Spandau also seemed a better choice, being located on the confluence of the Havel and Spree river. The problem with Spandau, is personal, as I chuckle everytime I had to write it. Simply put it, a popular Danish Pastry is known as a Spandaur, hence I needed another name, and Konradstadt became a thing.

Oh yea I don't particularly like Kuba either..

Last edited:
Nice update, would Konrad name a city after his deceased brother ir father?
Thanks, and not a bad idea, I could rename Kronhavn Erikshavn I guess. already got Samland's (OTL Prussia) major city, Valborg, named after a Valdemar, and Valhavn does not sound as good, of course, havn is not the only affix there is, but I find it fitting that the major habour of Kronmark, have "havn" in the name !

Yea indeed, but in my mind that would be better suited for "recent" discoveries, and not a king far far away, that decides that a town/city should be renamed. So I think Eriksfjord, Konradsstrand etc. is something that will happen, on say Kuba, as explorers names newly discovered places after the royalty they serve, it won't happen in the already establish settlements in OTL Canada.

So I think much like you can in Denmark, associate certain affixes in the names of cities with specific periods of time, iron age etc. then so too will TTL's historians be able to see when villages and towns are from by looking at the names of places in Kronmark, with the oldest having Icelandic and Irish roots, while "newer" settlements will probably have Danish roots. Certainly there will be a geographic aspect to it too, and who the new settlers are.

1560-1570
West Africa:
There is some disagreement which fort is the first established by the several Danish expeditions to West Africa around the years of 1560. It is generally believed to be Fort Toledo, along the Gold Coast. Certainly, Fort Toledo would become one of the principal forts of Dania in West Africa. There is, however a vocal minority, Lead by a professor in Rostock, that claims that Dania earlier established at least two forts in the extreme of western Africa. Which before these claims, is generally believed to only have had a Spanish presence.

If the claims are true, this Danish presence in what is perceived as Spanish territory in later treaties, was certainly short and not very noteworthy. And most importantly, not profitable. It is believed by the people that buy into the theory, that Spain quietly took control of the forts in 1562. The ships that were meant to trade there, would then go on to establish forts along the gold coast, amongst these Fort Toledo.

The early Danish presence in West Africa can generally be divided into two distinct geographical areas, one along the gold coast, and one farther to the east, along, what was believed to be massive wetlands, with a dense population. Several forts were established, but two forts, would rise among these as the principal Danish presence in West Africa.

Along the gold coast, four forts can be traced back to the middle of the 16th century. Three of them would remain minor, mere outposts of the more formidable Fort Toledo, which would be the centre of Danish commerce in the region. A bond with the local Asante people, were quickly established. The Asante were a series of chiefdoms, and vassals of the more powerful Denkyira Kingdom. While both people were the descendants of the Akan people, which migrated there, they would establish various states that would go on to wage bloody war for supremacy.

The Asante, or Ashanti tired of their overlords, were willing to both trade gold, which they had significant amounts of, and slaves captured in battle for European weapons and other goods. The entrance of Dania into the power struggle of the Ashanti and Denkyira kingdoms, would firmly change the balance of power. Leading to a series of success for the so-called Ashanti Confederacy. And with a decline of the Denkyira Kingdom, as it suffered from the renewed onslaught of the remarkable disciplined Ashantis.

To the east, another cluster of Danish forts was established following Fort Toledo in 1562. Much like Fort Toledo, Fort Valdemar would rise to become the principal fort in the area, located on one of the many passages of what was believed to be a massive wetland. Most importantly the area was densely populated, and strife was not uncommon. It would later turn out not to be a Wetland area, but a massive delta.

When discovered, it was not known that this river, was in fact the river Niger, which to a degree already was known in Europe, instead the Danish occupants of the forts in the area thought it was a new river. And to the merchants and other associated people of the Danish forts, the river became known by the local Igbo name Orimili. With Orimil River increasingly becoming the norm. To this day there remains a conflict of which name is the “correct” one, Orimil or Niger.

The forts along the Orimil, took a second place, compared to the forts of the Gold Coast, but would eventually take over, as conflicts in the interior would supply an ample number of slaves. This combined with the eventual establishment of the Ashanti Kingdom, and later Ashanti Empire, that brought stability to the interior of the Gold Coast, and a decline in slaves. Would cement the Orimil forts as the principal departure of slaves for the Danish colonies.

Italy, War and Glass:
Back in Europe another great war had emerged, albeit without Dania’s participation. Even then Dania was close to entering the war due to their alliance with one of the major participants of the war; France. The Italian war, was a war that started in 1561, with the invasion of the Kingdom of Naples, by the Kingdom of Spain. Naples ruled by the Anjou dynasty, would call upon the assistance of its allies in France.

The entrance of France would trigger a landslide, as Spains North Italian allies entered the war. However, in Lotharingia, now allied with Spain, Spain was seen as the aggressor, rightfully so, and Lotharangia would therefor stay outside the war. Ensuring that Danish participation would not become a reality.

The war would end in a stalemate in 1567 but it would have a series of consequences. First amongst these was the decline of Venice. Venice sided with Spain in the war, and would see much of its hinterland plundered by Savoyard and French troops during the war. The city itself remained safe, due to its indomitable defensive position. So too did its important trade posts across the Mediterranean.

The decline came due to, two unfortunate events, one being a renewed Portuguese offensive in the Indian Ocean, taking control of the West Indian Spice trade once again, removing the trade route that went through the Mamluk land, and then onwards to Venice. It was an incredible source of wealth that Venice lost to the Portuguese, but it was not enough to bring the city state to its knees.

The other event which had a marked effect on Venice, was the loss of the glass monopoly on the island of Murano. Inherited from the Byzantine craftsmen, the glass produced on Murano was leaps and bounds ahead of anything else in Europe. Sure, glass was not uncommon, but outside Venice it was of questionable quality. It was of such importance, that the craftsmen of Murano, was forbidden to leave the Republic.

During the war, France tried an ultimately unsuccessful amphibious assault on Venice. But Murano was under French control for several weeks, after the attack on Venice. It is estimated that around half of the glass craftsmen were gone, when France left the isle. Most went to France, but many spread across Europe, seeking employment at various kingdoms and rich nobility. A few would go on to establish a legacy, with workshops carrying on the proud tradition. Others of the craftsmen would part away no knowledge to an apprentice.

The four most well-known workshops were established in Paris, Aachen, Prague and København. With the one in Dania being established later than the three others, and by some counting as under the one in Paris, but it was just a few years younger. These four cities, are regarded to have preserved the knowledge from Murano. While other workshops across Europe also rose to prominence, they are considered lesser, due to the loss of knowledge.

In Dania, glass production before the arrival of the Venetian glassmakers consisted of solely Wald glass, this glass with Greenish and yellow hues were often considered of far inferior quality and crude designs compared to their Mediterranean counterparts. It is a bit unfair, as the craftsmanship had surely improved compared to earlier medieval times.

The workshops of København, became a reality when 6 Venetian craftsmen, came to Dania, as part of the large retinue, the French Princess Jeanne de Valois brought with her, to her new home.

Marriage and Royal residences:
The marriage between Grand King Konrad II, and now Queen Jeanne, was an answer to the diplomatic situation that France saw itself in. The alliance between Spain and Lotharingia threatened France, to the south and north, leading France to seek closer ties to Dania, the only realm deemed strong enough to oppose Lotharingia, in northern Europe. These ties would Certainly make sure that Lotharingia, would think twice, before it invaded the Kingdom of France.

Dania, was not in the same situation, as France, it did not have a rival to the north, but Lotharingia had shown itself as a capable enemy, and now enlarged it had become a real threat to the Grand Kingdom. Diplomatically Lotharingia was better off, alliances with England and Spain, and various duchies, ensured plenty of goodwill to the Kingdom.

The marriage between Konrad and Jeanne, was one amongst a series of political marriages that Dania entered during the period of 1560-1570, besides the marriage of Konrad, four of his sisters would be married off, in Scotland, the youngest of Konrad’s sisters, became Queen Margrethe, in Halych-Volhynia, his eldest sister, became Queen Helena. While the two remaining sisters never became Queens, they nevertheless came into positions of influence in Central Europe.

Jeanne, Queen of Dania, would stay out of politics, she is largely remembered, not only for the love that the people bore her, but also to the establishment of the Queens Garden, a series of greenhouses, and around these gardens, and while the original greenhouses was replaced years later, the complex that was built around the original series of Greenhouses, became one of the grandest in Europe, with expansive fountains and sculptures, generally called a piece of Île-de-France in Dania.

A hunting lodge was built as part of the gardens, though on the outskirts, and soon, the area became the summer residence of choice for Konrad and Jeanne, overtaking the old Cistercian Palace, in Eastern Jutland. Which had been the summer residence of choice for near on a century.

wPH4DTL.png

Gyldenlund, 1586

After Konrad’s death, Jeanna, then the Dowager Queen made the Hunting Lodge, her permanent residence, for the last thirty years of her life. While the complex, sometimes is known as Konradlund, the original name, Gyldenlund, of the defunct noble estate, that Jeanne was gifted by Konrad, remained the most popular and official name.

Jeanne would continue to expand upon Gyldenlund, and at her death in 1627, Gyldenlund came into the hands of the Grand King again. Soon becoming the royal residence of choice, the Cistercian Palace, would once again become the summer residence of choice. The old royal residence, the opulent Absalonsborg Palace, located centrally in the capital, would take a step back, only to be used by the Grand King, when he visited the city. Though famously, second sons would often call it their home.

Lotharingia and the New World:
Lotharingia in these years would establish their own colonies in the New World with the first being Nieuw-Vlaanderen. It took over all four expeditions to the area, as the first three settlements, were overrun by Skraelings, which were not too happy to see other “white men” on their shores. Having learned from their neighbours to the north of the conflict that they brought with them.
Nieuw-Vlaanderen, established on an Island, in the estuary of a large river, was ideally suited to defend against the Skraelings, it also helped that one of the largest natural harbours in the world was located there.

Several expeditions would follow later, establishing a Lotharingian presence in the Caribbean Isles, though here they would not be the third to do that, as France would establish its own presence in the New World by 1570, just two years later than Lotharingia.

Gyldenlund : the ATL Versailles?
I might have been binge watching Versailles before writing this...

But not entirely. Gyldenlund won't be remembered as the center of the Kingdom or anything, it is merely the royal residence. with all that entails. We won't see a large scale relocation of the nobility in the area.

Government officialls will be working in the capital, which remains København, though surely there will be traffic between the capital and royal residence. But it will be no Versailles

From what I can read, Gyldenlund wasn't the name of the area, before the complex was initially built by Ulrik Frederik Gyldenløve, a recognized bastard of Frederick III, in the 1670s

From what I can read, Gyldenlund wasn't the name of the area, before the complex was initially built by Ulrik Frederik Gyldenløve, a recognized bastard of Frederick III, in the 1670s
You're thinking about OTL Charlottenlund right? I certainly stole the name from there, but this Gyldenlund is not the same. In my mind it is located out to the northwest. somewhere in the area of Frederiksværk and Frederiksborg. I have always liked the Gyldenløve bastards, they seem to be some of the more competent generals and states men of Denmark OTL. So the name is to some degree, a homage to the royal bastards of Denmark.

I envision Gyldenlund to be a merger of Frederiksborg and Versailles. If that makes sense!

Edit: it should be mentioned the picture I used is of OTL Frederiksborg in 1576 :)
Edit 2: I was actually close to make a TL instead of this one, where the Gyldenløve dynasty took the throne of Denmark !

Reforms
Konradian Reforms:

A series of reforms enacted by Konrad II, in the late 16th century, is often credited as taking Dania from its feudal past to a more modern era. Dania in the late 16th century, was hardly a feudal state compared to earlier years, but much of its administrative machinery was outdated and furthermore not exactly standardised. While there had been several minor reforms the previous centuries and decades, it remained a mishmash of Danish administrative workings from the capital, and inherited structures in the more newly acquired regions.

A province like Samland, for example, which had been conquered three centuries previously from pagan tribes, did not differ widely from the bureaucracy in Denmark. Neither did it in Mecklenburg, which for long had been a royal province, where the Grand King owned a lot of land. But other provinces, such as the military frontier of Pomormark, which had seen no military action for several decades. Kept certain traditions alive, so too did Masurien, which still retained significant influence from its polish past. Karelia, in the far northeast also had its own autonomous way. Holstein, one of the oldest provinces of Dania, had a history of autonomous duchies.

The Konradian reforms, as such, sought to not only centralize Dania further. But also drive out the worst excess of corruption, which was inevitable in such a system. In the old Kingdom of Denmark, there had been an official, in the eastern part of the Kingdom, with the title Gældker*, in latin the position was known as Prefectus Lundensis or Prefectus Scanie. The position had fallen into obscurity in the late 14th century. But when the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, came into a personal union with Dania. the Grand king, needed an official to represent his interest in the Grand Duchy. The position of representing the Grand King, in the Grand Duchy, became known as the Gældker. Using the old defunct title.

Before Konrad, there had been six so called Royal cities of Dania, the first amongst these was of course the capital of København in Denmark, then there were the military cities in the south, Schwerin (Mecklenburg), Valborg (Samland) and Valmeria (Livonien) Where the three Marsks took care of the defence of the vulnerable southern border. Furthermore, Falun (Dalarna) was also known as a royal city, due to the Kings inherent interest in keeping a close eye, on the massive copper works in the area. The last, and most recent royal city was Volkshavn (Denmark) the headquarter of the royal navy.

Some count Trakai, in Lithuania as a seventh Royal city, due to it being the headquarter for the Danish gældker and his staff. While Vilnius remained the capital of Lithuania.

The reforms went as such, the borders of the Marks** were firmly established, though not much changed, most of the work was done between the northern provinces of Finland and Hälsingland. In each Mark, a Royal city, or provincial capital would be chosen, if a Mark did not already have one. Each would be the seat of an appointed Gældker and staff associated with that position. The Gældker, much like in Lithuania, would be the appointed royal representative in the area, just with far more power compared to the Lithuanian one.

The position of Gældker of a Mark, was one appointed directly by the king, as such, it became some of the most prestigious in the Grand kingdom. And would more often be awarded as a reward than due to merit. Of course, it could also be a punishment. Being a Gældker of Pomormark, was not that attractive to the nobility, compared to, say Gældker of Samland or Mecklenburg. It gave the king a powerful tool, as he now had 28 positions he could award to people. Though only about twenty of those were seen as prestigious ones, at least by the nobility.

The Gældkers answered directly to the Danish Chancellery, which was the Danish government in the capital. Here the Gældker of Lithuania differed, due to answering to the much smaller and less important Lithuanian Chancellery. One of the reasons that the position of Gældker was sought out, was the possibility to skim off a little bit of the taxes and tariffs of the Mark. Obviously, this was known, but tolerated, as long as it was not done too much. This was also one of the reasons, that some Marks were much more lucrative than others. Famously, many a noble or common, had their head removed due to being greedy in their position as Gældker.

There was one thing the Gældker did not decide in his assigned Mark, and that would be military matters. Before Konrad, the military command, both at sea and at land was made up of the Rigsmarsk, and four Marsks. These positions were much like the Gældkers awarded and had more to do with favours and influence than merits. That would stay, but in general the Marsks were considered far more capable of the job than Gældkers. The Marsk system would be expanded too, creating a position in each Mark. Again, it was a courtier title, these positions did demand the attention of the person holding the position. For example, both Gældker and Marsk, had to reside in the given province.

Nevertheless, the Rigsmarsk, was nearly always a man of military experience, and the king had a way to work men of military merit into a position, where they could use their knowledge. The rank of General had been a work around for decades by now, it was a rank given by the King or Rigsmarsk, and here it did not matter who you were, merit often mattered more than influence at the court. Many a Rigsmarsk had been general before their appointment, though here they did need noble blood.

How exactly the rank of general would fit into the military hierarchy was a bit confusing, for example, the position of General of the Saxon frontier. Was a position under the Marsk of Mittelmark, often being regarded as his second in command. On the other hand, the General of the East, with his headquarter in Nevastad, had several of the eastern Marsks answer to him.

The royal navy would see little development in its command structure, though it had undoubtedly better officers, early on, due to the Volkhavn Naval Academy. In time the Navy would distance itself and become its own structure. The rank of Admiral would become common, with the entire thing commanded by the Rigsadmiral, a position much like the Rigsmarsk. Still as an honorary title the Rigsadmiral, was always the Marsk of Blekinge.

Denmark, the largest Mark in all of Dania, population wise, would remain distinct from the rest, not only did it not have a Marsk, at least if you did not count the Marsk of Blekinge, furthermore it would neither have a Gældker, such a position was deemed either too powerful or too unnecessary, instead, Denmark would have five subdivisions (Nørrejylland, Sønderjylland, Sjælland, Skåne and Småland) which in many regards could be considered Marks in themselves, except militarily. Each of these subdivisions would have an appointed Rigsfoged, which in many ways had the same powers as a Gældker and answer to the Danish chancellery. Importantly, Rigsfoged was a position only obtainable by merit.

These various reforms would firmly establish a solid foundation for the Danish Bureaucracy in the coming decades. Succeeding to a degree in limiting corruption. Money flowed into the royal treasury, and with the enlarged organisation of the military command, it showed the various flaws in the current military system of the Grand Kingdom. Especially the lack of manpower at the border. Which would be solved later by the military reform by Konrad’s heir, the Crown Prince Valdemar.

*Gældker a rough translation, would be a debt collector, though the Gældker in Scania seems to have been far more than that. Gældker will be the Danish word for Governor In TTL, instead of adopting the Danish version "Guvernør" as OTL.

** Mark will be the Danish word for Province/region in TTL. The roots of the word, are the old border marches.

Are Bergen and Nidaros marks now as the rest of Dania, or do they have local rulers who are more autonomous. I would imagine they have fewer privileges than Lithuania?

Bergen is a Kronstad and as such is not effected by the reform. Nidaros do have a Gældker, but the Prince-Bishopric there still retains significant autonomy. I actually wanted to write a bit about both Nidaros, but also Ireland. So there is still significant local quirks.

I also wanted to get a bit in about the Duchies, they're still there. But they have been heavily reduced in power and influence.

Bergen is a Kronstad and as such is not effected by the reform. Nidaros do have a Gældker, but the Prince-Bishopric there still retains significant autonomy. I actually wanted to write a bit about both Nidaros, but also Ireland. So there is still significant local quirks.

I also wanted to get a bit in about the Duchies, they're still there. But they have been heavily reduced in power and influence.

I think Nidaros would be pretty interesting, it have to deal with the fact that it's fundamental a ecclessial area in a protestant state.