An Age of Prosperity, The Kingdom of Denmark

I like the update.

Here's my thoughts about Erik. Erik may end up choosing the right horse. But even a success have a price and he would likely have been better off staying out. He will end up with Ottokar as a enemy and the Bohemian may join Poland and Novgorod in trying to end Danish dominance over the Baltic, especially as the strong Denmark may push Bohemia and Poland even more into each others arms. The result could be that a more long term Polish-Bohemian Union are created and Denmark will be one of their main goal. Of course this would force Denmark to push inland to gain a larger buffer, the result could be that Brandenburg, Masuria, Greater Poland and Lower Silesia becomes the main military goal of Denmark the next century.

Here's my thoughts about Erik. Erik may end up choosing the right horse. But even a success have a price and he would likely have been better off staying out.
Yea Erik IVi s not a bad ruler compared to OTL danish rulers, however he is not quite in the league that the three Valdemars are in. As such, I don't see him staying out of the current interregnum, and while this might create the very rivals Denmark have to fight for the next hundred years, it do open up for possibilities.

He will end up with Ottokar as a enemy and the Bohemian may join Poland and Novgorod in trying to end Danish dominance over the Baltic, especially as the strong Denmark may push Bohemia and Poland even more into each others arms.
I agree, however in doing so he also create, a for the time being friendly emperor to the west. What Denmark right now is lacking is a competent large ally. Relations with Lithuania is quite good, but not alliance territory yet.

The result could be that a more long term Polish-Bohemian Union are created and Denmark will be one of their main goal. Of course this would force Denmark to push inland to gain a larger buffer, the result could be that Brandenburg, Masuria, Greater Poland and Lower Silesia becomes the main military goal of Denmark the next century.
Yea one of the bonus' with joining William II side, is that all of those part will be open for invasion. while Erik surely won't gain all of it, parts of it, say like Neumark could be a reward

Bohemia and the Emperor
1271-1273

The war between Emperor and pretender started in early 1271 when William II with most of his allies from the empire invaded the Austrian lands of Ottokar II, linking up with the forces of Stephen V of Hungary, near the important city of Vienna. Ottokar II’s response was as swift as possible; his own forces from Bohemia and Moravia marched south, but not committing to a pitched battle, meanwhile he waited for his own allies to come to his aid, Boleslaw V the High duke of Poland being the most important. The forces arrayed against each other in the summer of 1271 was immense, with William II and Stephen V having the larger of the two, yet it was not the full forces that both sides could muster. Both sides had left plenty of troops on their northern border, especially Boleslaw V and his dukes kept considerable forces in Poland. Both sides courted Erik IV extensively, and it was only a matter of time before the Danish king would plunge his realm into the conflict.

While both sides waited for the eventual decision, the fighting raged on in the Austrian lands of Ottokar II, during 1271 reinforced by Boleslaw V, Ottokar II had a series of inconclusive victories against William II, however, he had succeeded in regaining much of his possession opening up for potentially more soldiers as the minor nobility in Austria flocked to his side. These new recruits would play an important role as the new front of the war opened up in 1272, having made a decision Erik IV, invaded Brandenburg, having used 1271, to gather mercenaries and his own troops, he divided his force, one going to Schwerin, the other to Stettin in Pomerania. Both armies would use the Oder and Elbe Rivers as supply lines, and as such, both of the Danish armies pushed over the borders in April 1272. However, these two armies were not the only headaches for Ottokar II and his allies, Duke Konrad II of Mazovia, the sole Duke after the unexpected death of his brother three years earlier. Had too gathered an army, seeded with men from Denmark’s province of Prussia, while Konrad II cared little for the empire, he did care about Boleslaw V that had defeated his Grandfather Konrad I some 30 years earlier in the conflict in which of them should be the High Duke.

As such, the reinforcements from Ottokar II’s southern duchies had to replace the men that Boleslaw V had supplied Ottokar II for his bid for the throne. As Boleslaw V when he got the message a few weeks later departed with all his troops to defend his claim as the High Duke of Poland. Erik IV had decided not to lead the armies himself; therefor Duke Valdemar of Holstein-Benburg* would lead the thrust from the Elbe River, while Prince Jaromar III of Rostock would lead the more eastern push into Brandenburg and later into Poland. The objective, defeat the Margraves of Brandenburgs forces, occupy their land, and then march into Poland and Bohemia simultaneously, putting pressure on Ottokar II. Brandenburg was not ruled by a single ruler, the territory was split in two, Brandenburg-Stendal and Brandenburg-Salzwedel furthermore each of these two territories had four co-rulers all the sons of Either John I or Otto III which together had co-ruled Brandenburg between 1220 and 1266.

As the two large Danish armies entered their territory the eight rulers of Brandenburg tried to resist, yet could not agree on who should be in command of their combined troops, to make the matter worse, the western part of their land, Altmark had been invaded by troops from Braunschweig-Lüneburg. The result was that the troops that they could muster were combined intro three small armies that were easily defeated by Valdemar of Holstein-Benburg and Jaromar III of Rostock. Brandenburg was occupied in a matter of weeks and the two Danish armies marched on. Denmark however, would not enjoy the luxury of not being invaded themselves, from the east the Merchant republic of Novgorod and the City of Pskov invaded the Estonian duchies and the Danish Livonian province. The two republics hoping that the Kingdom’s resources would be spent on the war in the south saw it as a chance to counter increased Danish influence on their trade.

While much can be said about Erik IV as a ruler, he had expected for just such a scenario to happen, and was therefore not completely surprised by the development. His two armies to the south consisted of most of the levies of his dukes, and levies from Prussia, however the levies of Livonia had not been called up. They would be the first line of defence together with the few fortification actually build on the border between the two forces, Narva being the only border castle actually holding on until reinforcement came from Denmark. More importantly than the Livonia levies not being called up, was that Erik IV had not evoked the Ledgang in Denmark proper, and that was exactly what he did in the winter of 1272. Not the new kind that his father Valdemar III had used extensively to pay for his wars, no, the ledgang of 1273 was that of old, like his grandfather Valdemar II and his father Valdemar I had used to conquer the Baltic. Amassing the troops at Vordingborg, the royal castle of Denmark, where the King spent his time, when not visiting other nobles, Erik IV gathered another large army, arguably by far the worst in equipment, yet quantity is in itself a virtue, besides the army did not have to fight the ironclad knights of the west. Sailing toward the eastern Baltic in the summer of 1273 the army under the command of Erik IV himself arrived near the Narva River taking the army of Novgorod and Pskov by surprise as they were in an ongoing siege against the Castle of Narva. While Erik IV was successful in lifting the siege, the army of Novgorod retreated to the east mostly unharmed.

To the west, the situation looked bleak for Ottokar II, having suffered a major loss to William II in a large battle outside the gates of Vienna, due to being severely outnumbered by Boleslaw V leaving. As he returned to the Bohemian crownlands to try to gather a new army, he got the news that Duke Valdemar of Holstein-Benburg and his Danish army had entered his lands from the north. In Poland the situation was better, Boleslaw V had arrived home in time, defeating the Mazovian-Danish army under Duke Konrad II marching along the Vistula river towards Krakow, however the Army of Prince Jaromar II of Rostock has entered the prosperous lands of Silesia wreaking havoc.

*Previsuly Bengerndsborg, yet known as Benburg to the peasantry and will in time officially be known as such.

Bohemia and the Emperor II
1274-1275

In Early 1274 the war between Emperor William II and the Pretender Ottokar II, King of Bohemia ended, the twin invasions of Ottokar II crownlands ended his aspiration to the throne. As such, he accepted William II as emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, and the territories he had gained due to marriage were handed over to William II, which now controlled significant parts of the Empire, though his seat would stay in Holland. While the original war had started out as a clash between William II and Ottokar II, it had spread east, as both sides allied themselves with outside powers. Erik IV, which did gain land on behest of Brandenburg, saw no reason to end the warfare between himself and Boleslaw V in Poland, even though Boleslaw V had the year before defeated one of the armies invading his territories.
With the western part of the conflict over, the army of Duke Valdemar of Holstein-Benburg that had invaded Bohemia from the north was to relocate, while Jaromar III, Prince of Rostock, and commander of the army currently battling Boleslaw V in Silesia, certainly could use the reinforcement, as his army had taken a battering during the continued conflict with Poland. However, Prince Jaromar III would receive far less troops than he had hoped for, as Erik IV had a pressing need of the troops elsewhere. The forces under control of Erik IV himself had acquitted themselves well against the merchant republic of Novgorod, but the troops consisted of the ledgang, which meant that as they nearly had been campaigning for a year they needed to return to Denmark or the harvest could suffer.

The rotation in troops while slowing the advance for Erik IV was very much a blessing, the new army was consisted of much more experienced troops, furthermore numerical it was smaller, which certainly helped the supply situation, as it had been stretched quite thin, with them Duke Valdemar too arrived, Erik IV’s cousin. In Poland, Prince Jaromar III continued with his offensive, which had been renewed as 2.000 troops from Duke Valdemar’s army arrived. While it was an initial success and succeeded in taking the important city of Wroclaw, though Boleslaw V would rebuff further advances.
1275 would spell the end of Novgorods plan to drive back Denmark from the eastern Baltic, as Erik IV and Duke Valdemar defeated the coalition of Novgorod and Pskov in a decisive battle along the coast of Lake Peipus. The army of Novgorod and Pskov had tried to stop the Danish push towards Pskov itself, however the battle was a failure, and Erik IV and Valdemar pushed through to Pskov, taking and sacking the city. While the nobles of Novgorod at this point were ready to negotiate, sacrificing the city of Pskov to the Danes, however, Erik IV had another price in mind, as he marched towards Novgorod.

Erik IV had planned to siege Novgorod and take the city with might; however, as his army neared the city at the end of 1275 they were repulsed. While Erik IV still was in a position to continue his war, voices from the nobility of home and in his camp voiced concerns, as such, a peace was negotiated with Novgorod. Novgorod tried again to get Erik IV to accept Pskov to avoid losing territories themselves, but Erik IV wanted Ingria and the mouth of the mighty Neva River. By doing so Erik IV, completed the conquest of the Baltic, which had started nearly 100 years earlier by Valdemar I, in the same year the fighting with Poland, died down, and a stalemate was agreed upon, with no land changing hands. This also meant that the Danish influence stayed in Mazovia, and as such, Poland drifted closer and closer to Bohemia.
While Denmark did not participated in any deceive battles between William II and Ottokar II, the entrance into the war meant a serious weakening of the army Ottokar II commanded, leading to his eventual defeat. For the support Erik IV received from Brandenburg Prignitz and Neumark, furthermore Uckermark that Duke Barnim I of Pomerania claimed as his, were too recognized. That was not the only loss for the Margraves of Brandenburg, as Brunswick-Lüneburg annexed Altmark.

oLaXRso.png

Denmark in 1275

Not quite ... there's still some what ... 25km of Lithuanian coastline
Haha yes I haven't forgotten about those, but from my understanding the area have little strategic value, especially to go to war for.
Denmark now controlls all important cities and river estuaries in the Baltic, I therefor argue that they control all of the Baltic!

By the way, do anyone know which important natural harbours that exist in the Baltic? I tried to look it up, obviously there are many natural ones, but my theory is that further cities will spring up at these places, I know Landskrona is one, but surely there will be some that OTL were not used!

Like the update

BTW Have Erik Plovpenning produced any surviving sons in TTL, because he's 59 year, so he have relative few years left, if he dies without male heirs, there's no way, king Erik will leave Mecklenburg to Plovpenning's son-in-laws.

Like the update

BTW Have Erik Plovpenning produced any surviving sons in TTL, because he's 59 year, so he have relative few years left, if he dies without male heirs, there's no way, king Erik will leave Mecklenburg to Plovpenning's son-in-laws.
To be honest I haven't decided yet, Erik did have children, and two of those sons, yet they did not survive him, so some part of me reasons that due to butterflies and different wife, he would have living sons, on the other hand, historical as I mentioned his sons did not survive him. Bit of a toss up really.

TL wise I kinda think Erik IV not taking the duchy would be better stability wise, but, after Mecklenburg the only large and powerful duchy left is the Duchy of Pomerania, which have just gained land due to one of Erik IV's wars. So I don't see Barnim I rebelling over such a situation, especially since he have 3 sons, so his duchy don't have to worry about that situation yet.

To be honest I haven't decided yet, Erik did have children, and two of those sons, yet they did not survive him, so some part of me reasons that due to butterflies and different wife, he would have living sons, on the other hand, historical as I mentioned his sons did not survive him. Bit of a toss up really.

TL wise I kinda think Erik IV not taking the duchy would be better stability wise, but, after Mecklenburg the only large and powerful duchy left is the Duchy of Pomerania, which have just gained land due to one of Erik IV's wars. So I don't see Barnim I rebelling over such a situation, especially since he have 3 sons, so his duchy don't have to worry about that situation yet.

I think that taking Mecklenburg back from a sonless Plovpenning would be different from taking Pomerania, Rügen, Pomerelia or Holstein. Plovpenning is the 1st Danish duke of Mecklenburg, he have received the duchy from his father the Danish king at that time. If it had on the other hand had been Plovpenning grandson, who was sonless but had a daughter, I don't think the Danish king can get away with taking it back, because in that case it was inherited by the dead duke rather than having been given to him.

I was wondering, what kind of projects would a european medieval kingdom be capable of, thinking about projects that can improve the land, obviously there is reclaiming land from the sea, which if i remember correct give very fertile soil for some reason. But that is already happening to a degree in this TL, I am thinking of pet project of a king, industrialization and production is way too early, maybe irrigation? but unsure if that is helpful in this climate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

I was wondering, what kind of projects would a european medieval kingdom be capable of, thinking about projects that can improve the land, obviously there is reclaiming land from the sea, which if i remember correct give very fertile soil for some reason. But that is already happening to a degree in this TL, I am thinking of pet project of a king, industrialization and production is way too early, maybe irrigation? but unsure if that is helpful in this climate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Probably anything to generally improve agricultural productivity or surplus production, as that was what allowed for innovation beyond subsistence like bureaucracy, etc.

Or, if you wanted to focus more on military projects, Denmark now has a huge number of exceptional natural harbors in its control, and if they set to developing equally excellent shipyards they could have a fleet to exceed any in the history of the world!

There's relative few agricultural policies which can be implemented by the king. The main agricultural change you will see here, are that Danes, Geats, Frisians and Saxons settle in the Wendish, Baltic and Finnish areas and bring the heavy plough with them (The Wends, Balts and Finns used the ard plough). This raise population density and agricultural output, especially as the heavy plough could be used in better soil, while the ard plough mostly could be used in sandly soil. This in OTL was a major reason in the German colonisation of the east, they didn't need to replace the local population, because the locals used the worse soil.

Next we look at draining swamps and marshes (true reclaiming of sea floor are not possible with the existing technology). The reason these produced good soil was because these areas was places nutrients collected. But while someof these can be drained, there's limit, many drained areas suffered annual floods, these areas was made into meadows, where cattle could grass. This give relative few calories per square kilometers, but it give rich peasants.

So what policies could the king push to improve his country. I would say mills would be a good starting point, the king could build mills around the country, mostly watermills, but also windmills. this free up humans and animals labour as their labour are replaced by mechanical labour. A earlier introduction of mills, could also inspire people to develop water driven saw mills on their own. Both the Romans and Arabs seem to have developed it and Viken are pretty much perfect area for it. It will not lead to a proto-industrialisation but it will lead to increased manufacturing, and maybe even a more diverse manufacturing. We could easily see earlier waldglas production being set up. The Danish empire with it wast forest are also well placed for mass production of bricks (to domestic use see later). Domestic production of paper would also be possible.

Setting up monastries are a policy the king can push directly, historical the monastries served to introduce new agricultural technics, crops and products around Europe. They was in general centres of manufacturing. Building churches was also very popular, as the priest was often semi-public servant in Catholic Denmark, the founding of churches increased the kings power and ability to interact with the common man. Building castles this more or less give itself. All this building will also serve in Keynesian manners to push a economic boom and development. The king increase his power, while at the same time he transfer capital to the people.

Outside the independent development of the water mill and the earlier introduction of paper manufacturing, there's nothing in my suggestion, which wouldn't follow if the Danish empire was a stable state without civil wars. Of course the pure size of the Danish empire enable some synergy effects which didn't exist in OTL. Like Viken producing timber which can be sailed Denmark or Geatland producing bricks and waldglas. Any paper production will lie around the major cities, as paper production until the 19th century was based on used cloth. The fact that the Danish empire lies around the Baltic allow a much easier transport, which will push these synergy effect and regional specialisations. the fact that pretty much all land around the Baltic (except for 25 kilometers) are controlled by Denmark, means that piracy will be very limited and the Danish king will deal harshly with it. Denmark are pretty much able to det up a Pax Danica on the Baltic Sea, which will enable much greater economic developments than in OTL, where Danes, Hanseatics and Swedes fought over the sea.

Last edited:
Truly the Baltic has become "Vores Hav" (would this be a reasonable translation of mare nostrum?) for the Danish Kingdom! I think the biggest risk in the short term at least is internal instability, because I don't see any existential outer threats right now. What a change when compared with otl!

if you wanted to focus more on military projects, Denmark now has a huge number of exceptional natural harbors in its control, and if they set to developing equally excellent shipyards they could have a fleet to exceed any in the history of the world!
Naval shipyards will be something that the state will go into in later centuries, so far Denmark have little beef with naval powers. But yes, Denmark won't be missing naval supplies.

here's relative few agricultural policies which can be implemented by the king. The main agricultural change you will see here, are that Danes, Geats, Frisians and Saxons settle in the Wendish, Baltic and Finnish areas and bring the heavy plough with them (The Wends, Balts and Finns used the ard plough). This raise population density and agricultural output, especially as the heavy plough could be used in better soil, while the ard plough mostly could be used in sandly soil. This in OTL was a major reason in the German colonisation of the east, they didn't need to replace the local population, because the locals used the worse soil.
Makes sense, unfortunate that there is no policies, but it is after all the medieval age we're in.

Next we look at draining swamps and marshes (true reclaiming of sea floor are not possible with the existing technology). The reason these produced good soil was because these areas was places nutrients collected. But while someof these can be drained, there's limit, many drained areas suffered annual floods, these areas was made into meadows, where cattle could grass. This give relative few calories per square kilometers, but it give rich peasants.
Actually thought that sea floor was getting reclaimed at this point, so this is something that will be seen later. Supposedly Dithmarschen is reclaimed seafloor (or maybe just marshland) but from what I have read it is very productive, so I could see South-western Jutland become a very productive place earlier on compared to the Heaths of western Jutland.

So what policies could the king push to improve his country. I would say mills would be a good starting point, the king could build mills around the country, mostly watermills, but also windmills. this free up humans and animals labour as their labour are replaced by mechanical labour. A earlier introduction of mills, could also inspire people to develop water driven saw mills on their own. Both the Romans and Arabs seem to have developed it and Viken are pretty much perfect area for it. It will not lead to a proto-industrialisation but it will lead to increased manufacturing, and maybe even a more diverse manufacturing. We could easily see earlier waldglas production being set up. The Danish empire with it wast forest are also well placed for mass production of bricks (to domestic use see later). Domestic production of paper would also be possible.
I can see some production of Waldglas being started up, but not in very large quantity, mills on the other hand is a good idea. especially since for the next few decades Denmark will have good relations with the Emperor in Holland, so could see some ideas come over.

Setting up monastries are a policy the king can push directly, historical the monastries served to introduce new agricultural technics, crops and products around Europe. They was in general centres of manufacturing. Building churches was also very popular, as the priest was often semi-public servant in Catholic Denmark, the founding of churches increased the kings power and ability to interact with the common man. Building castles this more or less give itself. All this building will also serve in Keynesian manners to push a economic boom and development. The king increase his power, while at the same time he transfer capital to the people
Don't know why I forgot about monasteries, that makes very good sense, I know the Cistercian oders spread all the way to southern Sweden, so we could easily see it spread further North and East. How ever I could maybe see some "danish orders" spring up, which focus on the runic script etc.

Outside the independent development of the water mill and the earlier introduction of paper manufacturing, there's nothing in my suggestion, which wouldn't follow if the Danish empire was a stable state without civil wars. Of course the pure size of the Danish empire enable some synergy effects which didn't exist in OTL. Like Viken producing timber which can be sailed Denmark or Geatland producing bricks and waldglas. Any paper production will lie around the major cities, as paper production until the 19th century was based on used cloth. The fact that the Danish empire lies around the Baltic allow a much easier transport, which will push these synergy effect and regional specialisations. the fact that pretty much all land around the Baltic (except for 25 kilometers) are controlled by Denmark, means that piracy will be very limited and the Danish king will deal harshly with it. Denmark are pretty much able to det up a Pax Danica on the Baltic Sea, which will enable much greater economic developments than in OTL, where Danes, Hanseatics and Swedes fought over the sea.
Personally I think Småland is gonna be one of the primary timber suppliers because of the central position, not that the eastern or northern parts need timber to be sailed towards them though! Yea we will see a lot of people just being sustained by the need of transporting stuff on either ships in the Baltic or barges along the many rivers.

Truly the Baltic has become "Vores Hav" (would this be a reasonable translation of mare nostrum?) for the Danish Kingdom! I think the biggest risk in the short term at least is internal instability, because I don't see any existential outer threats right now. What a change when compared with otl!
I'm not sure what the Baltic is gonna be called, historical in Denmark it was called "The Eastern Sea" but that is hardly the case in this OTL, though too unsure if it will be known as "The Baltic Sea".

It's a fine translation and yes internal instability is the biggest threat.

Naval shipyards will be something that the state will go into in later centuries, so far Denmark have little beef with naval powers. But yes, Denmark won't be missing naval supplies.

Makes sense, unfortunate that there is no policies, but it is after all the medieval age we're in.

There was policies, the whole market town, the Trelleborgs, the church building was policies from the DFanish king to centralise and develop Denmark
Actually thought that sea floor was getting reclaimed at this point, so this is something that will be seen later. Supposedly Dithmarschen is reclaimed seafloor (or maybe just marshland) but from what I have read it is very productive, so I could see South-western Jutland become a very productive place earlier on compared to the Heaths of western Jutland.

Original marshland. Also let'sd be clear when I talk about productive I talk about the amount of calories each square kilometer produce. Historian look at howe the rich the peasantry were. Former marshland can mostly be used to cattle, this give relative few calories per square kilometer, but at the same time there was relative few peasant per square and cattle are a high value product. The result was very rich peasants. But at the same time the area was relative thinly populated

I can see some production of Waldglas being started up, but not in very large quantity, mills on the other hand is a good idea. especially since for the next few decades Denmark will have good relations with the Emperor in Holland, so could see some ideas come over.

Sadly smock (Dutch) mills haven't been developed yet, tower mills can be imported, but I think the native post mills (stubmølle) will dominate.

Don't know why I forgot about monasteries, that makes very good sense, I know the Cistercian oders spread all the way to southern Sweden, so we could easily see it spread further North and East. How ever I could maybe see some "danish orders" spring up, which focus on the runic script etc.

You could have a order named after Knud the Holy (the Canutians)

Personally I think Småland is gonna be one of the primary timber suppliers because of the central position, not that the eastern or northern parts need timber to be sailed towards them though! Yea we will see a lot of people just being sustained by the need of transporting stuff on either ships in the Baltic or barges along the many rivers.

Quite likely I think every year without civil strife in Denmark will continue push further economic development. Also because Denmark are fundamental a frontier society, we will likely see the peasantry to keep widespread rights against the major land owners

I'm not sure what the Baltic is gonna be called, historical in Denmark it was called "The Eastern Sea" but that is hardly the case in this OTL, though too unsure if it will be known as "The Baltic Sea".

Mare Nostrum (our sea/vores hav) is a political concept of one state controlling a sea. The Baltic Sea will keep being called Østersøen, through just as we sometimes call the North Sea for Vesterhavet (western sea), so will Danes in the eastern Baltic likely have another name for it; Havet (the sea).

Truly the Baltic has become "Vores Hav" (would this be a reasonable translation of mare nostrum?)

As Jürgen said, its a perfectly reasonable translation ... although if that's the primary word used, I'd believe that it would quickly be corrupted into "Vorhav"

There was policies, the whole market town, the Trelleborgs, the church building was policies from the DFanish king to centralise and develop Denmark
You're quite right, meant agricultural policies. The size of the current Kingdom kinda demands that a proper governing system is set up, with a more centralized rule in a capital somewhere.

Sadly smock (Dutch) mills haven't been developed yet, tower mills can be imported, but I think the native post mills (stubmølle) will dominate.
Oh, I thought the predecesor of the Dutch mill was already out in the 12xx, I agree that the Post mills will dominate, maybe with a few tower mills build on the kings order, in say Falster and Lolland.

I like that.

Mare Nostrum (our sea/vores hav) is a political concept of one state controlling a sea. The Baltic Sea will keep being called Østersøen, through just as we sometimes call the North Sea for Vesterhavet (western sea), so will Danes in the eastern Baltic likely have another name for it; Havet (the sea).

Makes sense.

.. Out of curiosity. when is the earliest, and I know I am grasping at straws here, this will be in the future. When can a four-field-crop rotation realistically arrive in Denmark.

Thanks for the answers, very enlightening!

Last edited:
It's a fine translation and yes internal instability is the biggest threat.

Original marshland. Also let'sd be clear when I talk about productive I talk about the amount of calories each square kilometer produce. Historian look at howe the rich the peasantry were. Former marshland can mostly be used to cattle, this give relative few calories per square kilometer, but at the same time there was relative few peasant per square and cattle are a high value product. The result was very rich peasants. But at the same time the area was relative thinly populated

Quite likely I think every year without civil strife in Denmark will continue push further economic development. Also because Denmark are fundamental a frontier society, we will likely see the peasantry to keep widespread rights against the major land owners

As Jürgen said, its a perfectly reasonable translation ... although if that's the primary word used, I'd believe that it would quickly be corrupted into "Vorhav"

All credits go to Google Translate ;) (although I did already remember the word Hav from a trip to Copenhagen and the Havfruen statue in the harbour.

I must say that I like the sound of Vorhav...

This Danemark really has a chance of greatness, although future conflicts with England, the Netherlands and whatever polity becomes hegemonic in Eastern Europe risk to ruin it. Thinking long term I suppose relatively early north american colonies are not implausible...

Another problem that comes to the mind is the onset of the "little ice age": weren't the famines of ~1315 particularly bad in northern europe, with tge wetter climate, among other things, causinng a stark reduction in the production of sea salt and hence problems in preserving the already scarce food?

You're quite right, meant agricultural policies. The size of the current Kingdom kinda demands that a proper governing system is set up, with a more centralized rule in a capital somewhere.

tower mills

Oh, I thought the predecesor of the Dutch mill was already out in the 12xx, I agree that the Post mills will dominate, maybe with a few tower mills build on the kings order, in say Falster and Lolland.

The tower mill was too my knowledge the predecessor to the smock mill.

Makes sense.

.. Out of curiosity. when is the earliest, and I know I am grasping at straws here, this will be in the future. When can a four-field-crop rotation realistically arrive in Denmark.

It was more or less possible to use from the 8-10th century.

But the use of four-field-crop rotation are relative geographic limited. In OTL Denmark-Norway it could be used on Lolland and eastern Schleswig-Holstein. In you Danish empire it can also be used along the Vistula, Oder and in Prussia.

All credits go to Google Translate ;) (although I did already remember the word Hav from a trip to Copenhagen and the Havfruen statue in the harbour.

I must say that I like the sound of Vorhav...

This Danemark really has a chance of greatness, although future conflicts with England, the Netherlands and whatever polity becomes hegemonic in Eastern Europe risk to ruin it. Thinking long term I suppose relatively early north american colonies are not implausible...

Another problem that comes to the mind is the onset of the "little ice age": weren't the famines of ~1315 particularly bad in northern europe, with tge wetter climate, among other things, causinng a stark reduction in the production of sea salt and hence problems in preserving the already scarce food?

Denmark will see a population fall of around 33% when we hit the Little Ice Age, but that leave a population at 1500 of around 5 million people (I think the Danish empire with its existing borders will hit 7 million people just before the Black Plague). But 5 million people in 1500 put Denmark pretty much in top of European states, and the Danish geographic position give Danish power a bust. But what really get interesting are when red clover and potatoes are introduced in Denmark after the 14th century. With Bastiram existing border Denmark will have around 10-15 million people by 1800, which will mean Denmark will be a major power (not the greatest one).

Also, worth noting is that a agricultural push in southern Sweden (south of Vättern/Vänern, maybe even south of Uppsala, even accounting for the Little Ice Age), with more peace and prosperity, (no wars between Denmark and Sweden over the area, no Swedish civil wars about who should be king), there would be chopped down a lot of forests, making for a lot of new farmlands to feed people.