An Age of Prosperity, The Kingdom of Denmark

three in one
The Far East

After the Portuguese victory in western India succeed in regaining control of the west Indian Spice trade, Portugal would once again see great wealth arrive at its ports. Portugal would use the next years to spread out its trade network. Strategic straits, Islands and other areas came under Portuguese influence. Yet everything had not gone in the favour of Portugal, several attempts were made to gain a larger foothold in India, and nearly all were a failure of some sorts.

The first real success, besides trading posts, where the acquisition of large parts of the island of Ceilão and eventual all of it. While the trouble of the Portuguese efforts on acquiring territory in the east, seemed to be troublesome, there was a reason for it. For the first couple of decades Portugal had followed a specific policy to gain trade rights and controlling strategic locations, such as forts. It was first around the late 16th century that that policy would change.

Generally, Portugal had exploited local rivalries, supporting one side over the other but these relations were not ironclad. One of the best-known examples of this was the so called Fourth Portuguese campaign in India. Trying to expand their influence Portugal had allied itself to a set of native nobles in eastern India, in their efforts to strengthen their hold in western India.
Men, supplies and money were spent on this alliance and at first it promised to break the stalemate. But just as the main army had engaged the West-Indian opposition, mainly consisting of the men from the Ahmadnagar Sultanate. The Portuguese was betrayed by their eastern allies and the eastern army was slaughtered to the last man. Resulting in a sounding and bitter defeat.

Historians agree that one of the reasons that the Portuguese efforts were met with such hard-fought resistance was the impression that they had given off when arriving in India, often using cannons instead of diplomacy to acquire the desired trading rights. Which can also be seen in the general support of the earlier Mamluk efforts to take control of the spice trade from cities along the coast of Western India.

The second European nation to really try to establish a foothold in the far east was Spain. But Spain would take a quite different route, already established in the new world Spain had established a naval presence in the western part of the new landmass by sailing around the southern continent. But it was a perilous journey that saw few ships try it.

In 1578 Spain would try to cross the pacific to get to the far east, a journey that was ultimately successful. But that is where Spain’s luck ran out, the following three expeditions were all lost. While that would not had been enough to completely stop the efforts. A rebellion, in 1580 saw Spain lose control with its land on the southern continent of the New World.

Spain’s control of the more southern located colony had been far more tenuous than in the Vice Royalty of New Spain. And finally, the harsh treatment that the indigenous population suffered under the Spanish colonial rule in several of the mines was enough and a general revolt emerged. Spiralling out of control and eventual lose the land for Spain.

The loss of nearly fifty percent of Spain’s colonial territory in the New World, was not just due to a few ships going missing or a rebellion. It was also helped on its way, by the monarch of Spain, which compared to the old king, had far less interest in the colonies of the west. Instead, he looked east and the opportunities that had arisen there.

A Northern Passage

The discovery of The New World proved to be a headache for an eventual trade route to China and the far east. A southern route had been discovered by Spain in the early 16th century, but not only was it perilous it was also not exactly a time saver. For decades and even centuries Europeans would try to discover a northern passage, which was believed by many to exist.

The search for a northern passage is split in two, the Northwestern in the New World, which many participated in. And an Eastern passage, which not only started later, but also saw little involvement from outside Dania and Muscovy.

The search for the Northwestern passage, for an easy sea-lane between Europe and China would help fuel the exploration of the New World. Rivers were explored in case they could lead to a transcontinental passage. One of the most famous expeditions were the Danish one sailing down the Great River, and into the Lakes beyond. While clearly unsuccessful, it succeeded in expanding the knowledge of the New World and the extent of the massive lake system, that Danish settlers had started to settle in.

Another ultimately unsuccessful expedition, this one from England, would discover the large King’s Bay as it would be known. Though, the English captain as the two English ships sailed into what was believed to be a strait and the Northwest passage. Had originally named it after King Richard IV. It would take several years before it was proved that it was no strait at all but a large bay. It took even more years to explore the various large river systems that flowed into the King’s Bay.

At least the Rivers and land around the King’s Bay would prove profitable as various nations established trading settlements in the area, as fur was a valuable commodity.
The search for the Northwest passage would go on for decades without being truly successful, today it is romanticised, idealised even as the brave captains and their men braved the elements. And not all returned home.

HazUFbr.jpg

While the Northwestern passage would take a prominent place in people’s mind, the North-eastern passage did not do that to the same degree. One of the reasons was that Dania was not only the first to try to discover it. Dania also had an iron grip on the approach and considered the waters between Greenland, Iceland and the Scandinavian peninsula its own. And only Danish whalers and fishermen were allowed there. Any approach from foreign ships were not welcomed with open arms.

This would have the effect that only two entities would search for the North-eastern passage. Muscovy and Dania.

Dania’s efforts to explore the North-eastern passage had the effect that several outposts were established along the cost. Nominally the land was uninhabited, or at least neither Dania nor Muscovy exercised any control of it. But Muscovy certainly claimed it. The result was Muscovy trying to establish a presence, and while they had lost Arkhangelsk it could be regained, or another port may be established at the Arctic Sea. And maybe that would open up for an Asian trade route. But only if the pesky Danes could be removed from what was rightfully Muscovy land.

Westphalian War

The Westphalian war was a conflict that broke out in late 1579 between the Kingdom of Saxony and the Kingdom of Lotharingia. The conflict had its roots in a series of diplomatic victorious for Saxony in the various Northern Duchies, resulting in increased influence in the duchies. Importantly marginalising Lotharingian influence in the Catholic Duchy of Mark. Which was situated on a tributary of the Rhine. The diplomatic coup of Saxony, was a sword point directed towards the heart of Lotharingia.

The war would change the face of central Europe and what seemed to be, might not actually be what it was.

Albrecht IV at his death in 1554 had ruled for 60 years, he had at the age of two been proclaimed Duke and Elector of Saxony. Later in life he would see his Duchy, in union with other states humble the Holy Roman Empire. Which resulted in a royal title and the elevation of Saxony into a now enlarged Kingdom.

But while Albrecht’s rule can only be described as very successful, he had not rested on his accomplishment in his later years. Albrecht realised that while Saxony had emerged victorious in the large religious conflict, it was not due to Saxony but due to the alliances made during the war.

The geopolitical situation of Saxony following the war was not exactly excellent, the alliance system of the protestant leaders quickly evaporated as the threat to their religion vanished. And Saxony was left without allies and potential enemies on all borders.

To the West lay the Catholic Lotharingia, and Saxony controlled not only substantial catholic lands, but also parts of the Main river something that Lotharingia itched to get it's hands on. To the North lay Dania, neutral, but dangerously close to the core territory around the Elbe river. To the East Moravia, the closest thing to a friend amongst the major powers of Central Europe. To the south Bavaria, smaller and weaker than Saxony, but far more friendly with Moravia than Saxony was. To the Northwest lay the only salvation, the Northern duchies which were quick to align themselves with various stronger neighbours.

Brunswick-Lauenburg the largest of the northern duchies was not only a long term alliy with Dania, but also represented Dania’s interest in influencing the areas west of the Elbe river. Göttingen at least had close ties to Saxony practically being a vassal.

While the diplomatic situation was bleak, the newly established Kingdom internally looked good. The population might have been smaller than Lotharingia's, Dania's and Moravia's but it was a rich population and generally well educated.

The eastern cities of Saxony were thriving, artist and intellectuals could find eager benefactors. Religiously the capital Wittenberg still held major significance, even if Salzburg would go on to challenge it in 1587.

Albrecht knew his kingdoms limits, he also knew that it was too big not to participate in the game for central Europe, and as such he would prepare the kingdom for when peace was no longer on the horizon.

Albrecht died in 1554 after 61 years on the throne of Saxony, leaving the Kingdom to his second son Christian I. It was a reformed kingdom and its neighbours eyed it warily, the court at Wittenberg was on one hand a flourish of art and delicate beauty the envy of much of Europe. On the other hand cold and disciplined officers of the recently established Standing army was just as a common sight.

Albrecht had started several military reforms before his death, which would be finished by his son Christian. The doctrines established would for example phase away the use of mercenaries, which Albrecht had less than ideal experiences with, in the religious wars of the early 16th century. Instead, it would establish the largest standing army in Europe at the time, with standardized armament and formations. Saxony would be one of the first European nations to stop using the crossbow favouring gunpowder weaponry, furthermore lighter cavalry became common, augmenting the abhorrently expensive heavy cavalry that required the incredible expensive full plate armour. They would prove very successful.

also importantly the militia system was reformed, what some historians have called proto-conscription and others fervently against the term, was established to support the standing army with effective reinforcements and additional men to the army of Saxony. At the same time proper schooling for officers were established in Magdeburg and Dresden.
It would prove in the late 16th century and early 17th century, to be an incredibly effective, reliable, plentiful and somewhat cheap fighting force that the Kingdom could rely upon in wartime.

Christian had not planned to go to war, in fact he would never lead his armies into war himself. But he was an incredible competent diplomat, if a bit aggressive, which resulted in several success in the Northern Duchies, with both Göttingen and following that Oldenburg falling into the hands of Saxony.
And after that the eyes of Saxony began to look upon the Duchy of Mark. Which eventually led to the Westphalian War.

Lotharingia might have been threatened but it was still richer, more populous and wealthier than Saxony. And with Saxony remaining without a large ally, it was seen as an easy war that would result in significant gains from not only Saxony’s catholic provinces but also an excuse to annex Mark and its capital Dortmund.

History would prove otherwise, Saxony was far more ready for a war than Lotharingia and quickly moved into Mark, ousting the Duke of Mark, and installing the son and heir of Christian as Duke of Mark, all with the relative support of the nobility of Mark.

The Lotharingian response was a twin invasion, one along the Main river into Franconia, the southernmost part of Saxony. And another invasion into Mark, the main battlefield. Neither was a success and just two years into the war Köln not far from the capital of Aachen was under siege.

In all Lotharingia ceded land around Arnsberg to the Duchy of Mark and all land along the Main river till the Confluence at the Rhine river, resulting in the loss of the important cities of Frankfurt and Wiesbaden.
It was a humiliating defeat for Lotharingia, and the first among two victorious wars that would see Saxony rise to become regarded as the power of Central Europe.
The success of Saxony in the war did not sate the Kingdom and soon it looked north and south where other dreams and claims were present. Which would eventually lead to the drums of war to beat again.

At least with some hindsight the neighbors of Saxony can take a breath of relief, for as much as the year 1581 marks the first of many Saxon victories in the foreseeable future. It is also the year of Frederick of Brandenburg's fathers death, Frederick of Brandenburg, who was born just outside Dresden in a minor noble estate. Frederick of Brandenburg would go on to gain infamy and fame as one of the few generals in the history of mankind to not face defeat on the battlefield and Saxony would surely wish that he had never been born. But that is in the future and for now the well-oiled military machine of Saxony marches to new victories. The death of his father was significant as it was at that point he choose to pursue a military career.

Last edited:
IMO a crusade seems likely.
hmm interesting Idea, not planning on this tl becoming a Muslim Screw though. That does not mean that Christianity will not do better than OTL in the middle east. We will see increased Italian presence there.

Sounds like Saxony is TTL Prussia
Yea inspired by both Prussia and Sweden, need someone to innervate militarily to drive progress :p Can't have Dania do everything.

The question is who is Frederick of Brandenburg inspired by? besides obviously being named after a certain Prussian King!

hmm interesting Idea, not planning on this tl becoming a Muslim Screw though. That does not mean that Christianity will not do better than OTL in the middle east. We will see increased Italian presence there.

Yea inspired by both Prussia and Sweden, need someone to innervate militarily to drive progress :p Can't have Dania do everything.

The question is who is Frederick of Brandenburg inspired by? besides obviously being named after a certain Prussian King!

Our favoured Bohemian mercenary general?

Our favoured Bohemian mercenary general?

No but very close geographical !

Edit: The character is still his own man, it will mostly be his childhood / rise to power that I am taking inspiration from said general.

I am quite sure the general that is the largest inspiration source for example lost a few battles

So surfing around on the internet looking at various random information that might be of use for the TL I stumbled upon some information about Finnish population, which have me thinking that I might be a bit conservative in my numbers !?

Anyways in 1260 I have the population numbers for Finland at roughly 120.000 give or take a few thousands.
in the most recent population update I had that increase to 200.000 (mid-late 16th century)

The information I found on Finland after the black death and in 1540:

After the black death (135x's) 120.000-140.000

And in 1540: 340.000-350.000

A substantial difference than my numbers.

That had me thinking if other places especially in the northern parts were "behind"

Sweden in late 16th century: 600.000-900.000. [without Småland: 530.000-830.000]

My number is just shy of 800.000 [Without Småland]

Småland in late 16th century: 70.000

My numbers: 200.000

Norway in late 16th century: 400.000.

My numbers: 605.000

Estonia in the late 16th century: 70.000-100.000 [it suffered during the Livonian war from 1558-1583]

My numbers: 115.000

No date for Denmark in the late 16th century that I stumbled upon unfortunately. Nor any for the more southern provinces, as they are part of larger countries.

Any thought on this?

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ngdom-of-denmark.407463/page-33#post-15897086 (last pop update)

@Jürgen you mentioned a few weeks ago that Iceland produced enough food to feed 300,000 people if I remember correct, any chance you have the source for that, I would be very interested in reading about it :)!

So surfing around on the internet looking at various random information that might be of use for the TL I stumbled upon some information about Finnish population, which have me thinking that I might be a bit conservative in my numbers !?

Anyways in 1260 I have the population numbers for Finland at roughly 120.000 give or take a few thousands.
in the most recent population update I had that increase to 200.000 (mid-late 16th century)

The information I found on Finland after the black death and in 1540:

After the black death (135x's) 120.000-140.000

And in 1540: 340.000-350.000

A substantial difference than my numbers.

That had me thinking if other places especially in the northern parts were "behind"

Sweden in late 16th century: 600.000-900.000. [without Småland: 530.000-830.000]

My number is just shy of 800.000 [Without Småland]

Småland in late 16th century: 70.000

My numbers: 200.000

Norway in late 16th century: 400.000.

My numbers: 605.000

Estonia in the late 16th century: 70.000-100.000 [it suffered during the Livonian war from 1558-1583]

My numbers: 115.000

No date for Denmark in the late 16th century that I stumbled upon unfortunately. Nor any for the more southern provinces, as they are part of larger countries.

Any thought on this?

I think your numbers are fine

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ngdom-of-denmark.407463/page-33#post-15897086 (last pop update)

@Jürgen you mentioned a few weeks ago that Iceland produced enough food to feed 300,000 people if I remember correct, any chance you have the source for that, I would be very interested in reading about it :)!

Could produce, didn't produce. It's pretty much the Malthusian limit for a pre-potato Iceland. As for where I found it, I have honest read up on so much about arctic and subarctic agriculture, that I don't remember where I found it. The main problems for Icelands seem a lack of salt, fuel and a lack of cereal crops (oats being pretty the only cereal crop beside grass which can be grown on Iceland). Of course with a introduction of potatoes, the agricultural potential of Iceland increase significant.

I think your numbers are fine
Yea been looking at population numbers for most of the evening, and the only real outlier is Finland, did not know that they had such a population growth during this time. Might retcon the Finnish population a bit or just have it have a larger gain in the coming century or two. It is after all one of the places where I see a larger effort on the Danish state to develop.

Yea been looking at population numbers for most of the evening, and the only real outlier is Finland, did not know that they had such a population growth during this time. Might retcon the Finnish population a bit or just have it have a larger gain in the coming century or two. It is after all one of the places where I see a larger effort on the Danish state to develop.

I think a lot of Finnish growth depended on the deveelopment of the pine tar manufacturing and late on the introduction of the potato. I think the fact that Sweden and Denmark aren't wasting thier population on wars with each others, and there haven't been a major depopulation event of Scandinavia since the Black Plague results in the surplus population need to go a place, and while some goes over the Atlantic. Finlnad are closer and more peaceful.

Nidaros, the holy trinity
Nidaros

When talking about Nidaros in Dania three things comes to mind: City, Mark and Prince-Archbishopric. All three are correct. Nidaros is one of the more peculiar places of Dania. It is the name of one of the largest and least populated Marks of the Grand Kingdom being located along the northern coast of the Scandinavian peninsula and spreading east along the Kola Peninsula. Besides its large and varied geographical area, with large parts in the arctic circle, the Mark also boasted a small population, which, besides the autonomous nature of the area had a larger impact on Dania than one would expect.

Nidaros the Mark can be split up in three “lesser” areas. The first of these areas is of course Nidaros itself. Nidaros is placed in the extreme south west of the Mark, located centrally in the large Trondheim fjord. The fjord was not only home to Nidaros the city, but four out of five cities of the Nidaros Mark was located along the waters of the Trondheim, and several villages and towns with their own charters too. Calling everything but Nidaros a city is a stretch and Stjórdalr, Lifangr and Steinkjer are probably better described as large towns which acted as minor centers of trade in the Trondheim.

Nidaros the city, and Trondheim were home to well over half the population of the entire Mark and the vast majority of its wealth. For its northern location the area was home to abundant farmland, which helped explain how such a large gathering of the Nidaros population resided along or near the large fjord. In other areas of Nidaros, the population heavily relied on fishing, less so in this corner, even if fishing remained a very important and large part of the life along the Trondheim. Furthermore, it was also home to a large number of miners at the Røros copper works.

The second area of Nidaros ,was farther to the east and north, a small part of the Kola peninsular where were the last of the five “cities” of Nidaros lay. Aslakshavn, on the Murman coast was a relative new town or city, with its history going back a century or so. Founded by the first Prince-Archbishopric Aslak Bolt in 1455. It was the center of Nidaros’s ambition to settle the Kola peninsula and quickly grew to a few thousand inhabitants. Several villages and small town clustered around the larger settlement, as people looking for a new life, settled the coast to the west and east, and into the interior of the peninsula along the two rivers that Aslakshavn was situated at.

All in all, Aslakshavn and associated areas were not exactly populous, an early census from 1550 had the population at 15.000, roughly 10 % of the population of the Nidaros Mark.

OMcPGHu.jpg

Whalers from Aslakshavn

The last of the three areas goes under the category “of the rest”, everything not located near Nidaros or Aslakshavn is included in this one. While a large percentage of the population of the Mark resided outside the two cities influence, they were spread out in small communities. These people, especially lived on the coast, but few communities also existed inland, living off the rivers and rich game in the area. Agriculture outside Nidaros was rare, especially in the more northern located areas where fishing or hunting was the primary source of food.

These small communities economical were of little gain, often barely scraping by. Yet sought for goods could be attained from them, one such being furs.

While Nidaros had often stayed outside conventional Danish bureaucracy, it would still see the effect of the Konradian reforms that started a period of centralization in Dania. Much like all the other marks, Nidaros would also see the presence of a Gældker, the royally appointed presence in the Marks. Nidaros was considered by the nobility as a less than desirable place than many other Marks, and as such, the Gældkers in Nidaros were often of the more common blood.

The reason for the Mark being seen as unattractive by the nobility of Dania, was twofold. first it was a relatively poor province, secondly due to the still high autonomy of the Prince-Archbishop. The Gældker was hardly the one in command of the Mark.

As a result, many a historian has argued that the Gældker of Nidaros can be seen as a junior position in the 16th and 17th century. Backing up this statement, is the fact that many high-ranking people at the Danish court with common blood, had at one point been holding the position of Gældker of Nidaros.

In fact, besides the relative poverty, isolated location and small population, Nidaros, and its people would have a marked effect on Dania. Nidaros had by the late 16th century a proud tradition of supplying mercenaries across Europe, but by far the largest user of these was Dania itself.

While in the service of Dania the payments for the mercenaries were not always in the currency of metal. The payment was also sometimes in land, it was a policy that in all regards payed off. This policy combined with Nidaros own efforts in the Kola peninsular and the coast of Murman, would result in sizable communities of people from Nidaros across the Grand Kingdom.

These people often integrated themselves into other Danish communities in the various areas, but there were a few notable enclaves in eastern Dania, where the Nidaros settlers stayed distinctly different from other Danish settlers. Nevertheless, the settlers from Nidaros would in time be absorbed into the Danish category, there were simply never enough mass to sustain isolation.

As such, much like many people that might not have been Danish, but lived in Dania and settled among the land of the Pomors, Finns and Karelians they would be regarded as Danish due to the shared language.

in Nidaros the Archbishopric, The Bolt family had ruled as both religious leaders and as autonomous dukes for nearly a century. It combined the secular role of a ruler, with the religious role, of the Archbishopric being an entirely inherited position. As such, their title was simply known as Prince-Archbishop.

In essence, the Prince-Archbishop were often lauded as the second most powerful man in the Nordic church of Dania, following the Archbishop of Lund. This had more to do with riches than any extraordinary spirituality in the Archbishops of Nidaros. Quite simply, compared to the rest of the clerics of Dania, Prince-Archbishop Adolf Bolt [b. 1537, ruled from 1564-1591] was filthy rich. The church in Dania had lost land over two periods of time, first when the original schism between the Catholic south and Dania happened. And later in the early 16th century, when Lund had its short-lived rebellion and attempt on the Grand King’s life. Contrary to the other Archbishoprics and bishoprics, Nidaros had seen absolutely no church land confiscated.
his had everything to do with Nidaros’s special position and the fact that Nidaros had been fiercely loyal to the Grand King during the upheaval.

The wealth of the Bolt family, could for example be seen by the establishment of the first university in Dania without any funds contributed by the royal treasury. The University of Nidaros established by Adolf Bolt’s father in 1536.

Not everything was a bed of roses for the Archbishopric, it was widely known that Nidaros held little influence in the traditional dioceses under it. Stavanger, Hamar and Oslo, had early on looked to Lund due to the much earlier Danish presence in those lands. It didn’t help that Nidaros had been nominally subordinate to Lund. It was a trend that the three bishoprics looked to Lund and not Nidaros. Even then due to the waning position of Lund during the 16th century. Nidaros had begund the progress to establish some of its old presence.

The Diocese of Bergen had also once been subordinated to Nidaros. But during the various conflicts that had seen Dania acquire Viken. The bishops of Bergen had sided with the Merchants of the city in their conflict, with the Petty kings of Nidaros. By now the Bishops of Bergen headed the Bergen Evangelical Church, which, also included the former dioceses of Nidaros: Hólar, Skálholt, Gardar, Kirkjubøur, Kirkwall, Sodor and finally several dioceses in Ireland.

Nidaros The City had by the late 16th century already a long and distinct history, it was however, not counted amongst the booming cities of Dania. It was a relatively small city and economical it was not exactly potent. For centuries the most important part of the city was its destination as the largest pilgrimage site in northern Europe.

fSAPfbU.jpg

St. Olavs Grave

That had undoubtedly taken a hit when the Nordic Schism took effect, still it remained the most popular pilgrimage side in Dania. But it was clearly not a development that was helpful for Nidaros. The establishment of the Røros Copper works would help revitalize the city, but it remained a small city in the overall picture. With the Nidaros University becoming a thing in the 16th century the sleepy city would take on another facet. Following that, the collapse of Bergen would ensures an increase in prosperity of the city. As the merchants of Nidaros suddenly gained access to an enlarged market. It would make it so that Nidaros was not just a mere cathedral-city, but that it had other perks to fall back on.

Nevertheless, the city was undeniable tied to the Cathedral and the church organisations that followed, being in essence the capital of the only ecclesial state in the protestant faith.

The cathedral of Nidaros, was considering the history of Nidaros, new. Due to a misfortunate fire. The rebuilt cathedral had seen large investment from the city itself, but also the ruling family had contributed significant sums of money, the result was an impressive cathedral. It was the largest cathedral in Dania not built in the very common Brick gothic style. And only the Cathedrals in Lund and Oliwa were bigger.

Nidaros however, have a long way to go, before it becomes the large and important city it is today.

Lower Saxony war
Lower Saxony War 1583-1587

The Lower Saxony war is often coupled together with the Westphalian War. And while there remained distinct differences between the two, they also shared quite a few characteristics. The elephant in the room and why they were coupled together in the first place was of course that the Kingdom of Saxony participated in both, another was the close proximity in not only time [Westphalian 1579-1581, Lower Saxony 1583-1585] but also both were fought mainly in the area then known as the Northern Duchies.

Much like the previous war, this one happened due to a series of diplomatic events between Saxony and one of the Northern duchies. To be exact, that duchy was the Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg.

Brunswick-Lüneburg had a long and distinct history behind it, and compared to the other duchies, it was far richer, larger and more populous. Brunswick-Lüneburg roughly controlled fifty percent of the Northern Duchies. As such, it not only had a substantial and respectable army it also to a far greater degree than the other duchies, applied influence in the immediate areas around the Duchy. It was also extremely hostile or at least wary of many of its neighbours and other states in the area. Especially Catholic ones.

Dania however were a different case. The history between the two states went back centuries by now, and the Welf dynasty that had ruled the Duchy since 1235 had prospered from it. Furthermore, it had the honour of supplying Dania with more Queens than any other state. Not to count other marriages that had happened between Royal and noble families across the borders.

To say that Dania and Brunswick-Lauenburg were close, is hardly a lie. For years the duchy had been the only Danish ally in the now defunct Holy Roman Empire, and the Duchy had often sided with the Danish Kings and Grand Kings in opposition to their rightful overlord. Altmark was just one of several territories that the Duchy had acquired due to its alliance with Dania.

Economical the two had also seen several projects between themselves and many of the various cities of the two had very close connections. Obviously, the major part of this can be attributed to the Elbe river. The Lower Elbe was completely in the hands of the Duchy and the Grand Kingdom, with one in the west and the other to the east. Both Hamburg and Lybæk some of the largest Kronstæder and cities of Dania, and in case of Lybæk the largest, owed to some extent their success to the Duchy. Lauenburg the second city of the Kronstad Lybæk was situated on the Elbe and had grown tremendously due to the trade with the Duchy. On the other side Lüneburg the capital, largest city and beating heart of the Duchy, had likewise prospered due to the immense wealth that the salt trade bought it.

Hamburg likewise had several interests in the area, and the Kronstad owned swathes of land along the Elbe in the Duchy, reclamation projects had been co-funded by the city and the Duchy, resulting in for example Altes Land, a reclaimed Marshland downstream from Hamburg, that area now supplied Hamburg with most of the food that the growing city needed.

Due to all these connections it should come to no surprise that Dania came to the defence of the Duchy which they rightfully claimed as their area of influence.

Generally, the Kingdom of Saxony is considered to be the aggressor in the war, in contrast to the Westphalian war where they are considered the defender. But that is painting with broad strokes to say the least.

Essentially the victory over the Catholic Lotharingia quickly and decisively was the first pebble among many that started the eventual landslide that would lead to the war. With the victory Saxony’s prestige rose to new heights in Europe and especially in Brunswick-Lüneburg which definitely still had ill feelings towards Lotharingia which had committed several atrocities when they had occupied the land in the religious conflicts in the early 16th century.

The inspiring victory that Saxony had achieved in many ways opened up the door to greater influence in Brunswick-Lüneburg, something that Saxony greatly desired due to one of their goals being able to assert greater influence on the Elbe river. Which ran through the core of the Kingdom.

Not surprisingly Christian I, King of Saxony was eager to exploit this new opportunity. Christian might very well have been one of the most competent diplomats of his life time quickly acquired a measure of success in his efforts rallying several nobles of Brunswick-Lüneburg to his side. It helped that Brunswick-Lüneburg remained predominantly followers of Staupitz and not the Nordic Church of Dania.

Nevertheless, the majority of the Duchy remained faithful to its far older ties to the Grand Kingdom to the north.

The war would eventually spark in 1582 due to a series of events that would escalate the situation into a full-blown conflict between Dania and Saxony. But at the earliest date, neither of these can be said to be involved. The precursor to the war was a rebellion around the cities of Wolfsburg and Stendal lead by the local and very influential Bartensleben family, which never really had seen eye to eye with the Welf Dukes. At first it seemed that the Ducal troops had the situation under control, and the rebellion just one among many that plagued the European continent in this day and age, where change was common, and not all that liked.

In desperation after the initial uprising had failed in 1582 Adolf von Bartensleben, the leader of the rebellion sought aid from Saxony, history disagrees upon a few facts here. Some say that the rebellion of 1582 was not instigated by Adolf von Bartensleben, but by a more far reaching plot of Christian, King of Saxony. Others point out that it was likely just a convenient opportunity for Saxony.

Never mind what of the two are the truth, a Saxon army quickly moved into Brunswick-Lüneburg and raised the siege of Wolfsburg defeating the ducal army in the process. But as said the Duchy was not exactly helpless and the army had suffered relatively light casualties. Continuing through 1583 the conflict strictly remained between the Duchy and Saxony, several clashes between the two happened throughout the spring, summer and autumn of that year. Mostly in the favour Saxony.

The battle of Stendal would be the last battle of 1583 and by far the most memorable. Depending on the sources about 40.000-80.000 men fought in that battle alone. The consequence of the Saxon victory there would ensure the Dania intervened in the war.

Originally Otto VI, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg had been determined to deal with the invaders himself, Dania and the Grand King there did not exactly want to step on any toes and seemed to respect the wishes of the prideful duke. Nonetheless material, men and other such nonsense certainly started to be moved towards the south-western border, just in case.

And well with the death of Otto due to complication from wounds sustained at the battle of Stendal, leaving his infant son the throne of the Duchy. As regent his mother Dagmar of Rygen would call upon her kin to help the duchy defeat the Saxon invaders.

Early 1584 would see the first clashes between Danish and Saxon soldiers as Danish men and material crossed the Elbe. But the fighting was not constricted to just the ducal lands of Brunswick-Lüneburg both sides would try to take the war into each other’s land, Saxony by far the most successful at that.

Dania tried early on to knock Saxony out by striking across the frontier from Mittelmark towards Wettin, the capital of Saxony located conveniently close to the border, and more importantly on the east side of the Elbe. But the army was beaten back by a smaller Saxon force.

Dania might have been able to drown Saxony in men and material for the war, but they certainly lacked one thing that Saxony seemed to have in abundance, leadership. That is not entirely fair, Dania with its large population could draw upon one of the largest group of nobility on the entire continent, even a well educated one. And the war and the future conflict to come would prove that Dania still had competent leaders to call upon. What Dania lacked, was leaders with experience.

Dania had not fought in a major conflict since the early 16th century and the surviving officers from that time was at best old and feeble and at worst just as old and senile. Several of these veterans did serve during the war, but far from the front line, only one veteran officer saw actual combat during the war, a certain Gorm Hvid, which served during the first year as the leader of the garrison of Bremen, he however took sick and retired to his estate during the war, dying from Pneumonia shortly after.

While it comes to no surprise to historians later that Dania would go on to lose the war it was certainly a surprise to contemporary Europe, that Saxony could go on to defeat two major powers in less than 10 years.

As for the war not everything went as planned, Saxony remained virtually undefeated on the battlefield, except for smaller skirmishes. Sieges however, proved to be problematic, Both Schwerin, a major Danish focal point for the military in the southwestern part of the realm, and Hamburg came under siege. So too did Bremen, and while the Danish enclave eventually surrendered both the siege of Hamburg and Schwerin ended in favour of the Danish defenders.

Mittelmark the newest territory of Dania, and neighbour to the rich cities of “High Saxony” the core of Saxony became one of the primary objectives for the Saxon Kingdom, but the formidable Saxon frontier fortresses were capable of repulsing the Saxon advances.

On a more detailed note, one of the Saxon attacks on the formidable Danish fortresses saw the death of a noble with the rank of Oberst, a somewhat forgettable man, and surely a man that would have been forgotten by history if not for his son. The death of Frederik of Brandenburg’s father would have a profound effect on the young boy. As a young boy and later in life, Frederik of Brandenburg was often sick, and many on a quick glance would regard him as a weak man, certainly he was not a man you would expect to seek a military life.

Not surprisingly, being the youngest boy of five other boys in the family, no one expected Frederik of Brandenburg to pursue such a path in life, and his mother and father for that sake had early on decided that he would study in Wettin, and become a priest. The death of his father, however had Frederik of Brandenburg decide early on, that he wanted to pursue a career in the Saxon army.

Back to the war, it was clear that the war was going against Dania, Bremen had fallen so too had Lüneburg, and the young Welf duke and his mother had earlier in the war been ferried away to their relatives in Rygen. Both Holstein and Mecklenburg, prosperous Marks had seen the heavy hand of Saxon soldiers on its peasants. Though both would fare better than expected, one of the first instances where the widespread use of the potato would help the poor peasants from starving, still it was bad for business.

The war ended 1587, the duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg was gone, instead the Duchy of Lower Saxony took its place, With Christian I, King of Saxony taking the reins. The Danish enclaves west of the Elbe was lost, and Saxony was once again enlarged, it now ruled over the Weser river in its entirety and much of the Elbe.

vTWX3r1.png

The Kingdom of Saxony, with the Duchy of Lower Saxony (Ruled by King Christian I of Saxony) and Grand Duchy of Westphalia (ruled by the young son of Christian I of Saxony)

Last edited:
Dania is dealt a defeat, and a powerful enemy forms to the South... what a shocking turn of events.

Haha yea probably spoiled it a bit :p sometimes I get too exited and want to hint at stuff. Anyways it is a defeat sorely needed Dania have done very well. And it won't be the last. :)

Interesting, it will move the centre of Saxony to Hessen, as they now have better access to the sea, I imagine we will see a Saxon colonial empire.

Interesting, it will move the centre of Saxony to Hessen
Hmmm. Yea maybe, the capital (for now atleast) will remain at Wettin in the "far" east. The areas along the Elbe are probably the most developed

as they now have better access to the sea,
One that that do speak for a more Hessian focus is that Saxony still very much shares the Elbe with Dania, and Dania controlls Hamburg so Saxon influence remains limited.
On the other hand the Weser is entirely in the hands and as such it might makes sense to center the Kingdoms trade around that.

As for the future, The Kingdoms border is not gonna stay exactly like that, and I plan for the Saxon national identity (far away still) to center geographical around both the Weser, Elbe and Rhine rivers.

I imagine we will see a Saxon colonial empire.
Yea potentially, not sure how successfully they will be !

I was wondering, you guys have been pretty good at helping with names, so I was hoping I could rely a bit on that.

specifically I am looking for English, French and Danish names for colonies.

Georgia, Carolina etc. are all named after English royalty afaik. and as I am planning for colonies I would like names that makes sense and royalty seems appropiate, even for other nations than England. This also have something to do with my (personal) dislike of names such as: New Denmark and so forth, even though I already used it for the first Lotharingian colony.

Denmark will be establishing a third colony, and naming it after a monarch makes sense, the three previous monarchs of Denmark will have been named Valdemar, Erik and Konrad of the Estrid dynasty. With Erik being somewhat in the distant past.

I also need names for England and France.

English recent monarchs name: John, Richard, Edward and Thomas. of the De Mowbray dynasty

and French monarchs are generally Phillip and Louise, of the Valois dynasty. Louisiana might be an option but seems a bit boring :p

Anyways I will appreciate any help. And hopefully I will get an update up for Christmas :)

For the Carraïbean you could call this area : Les Indes Occidentales, Désirée, les Antilles, Kallinagie, ...
for the Virginia/Maryland and Pennsylvania you could call this are : Sylvanie, Nouvelle-France, Plaisance, Pays-du-Couchant, Potomac, ...