An Age of Miracles: The Revival of Rhomanion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Russian espionage service was on the Roman caliber, Nikolai never would've made the Polish offensive as he would have known it wasn't necessary. If such an alliance had been formed and had the offensive succeeded, it would be considered to be a stroke of genius. Unfortunately neither condition was met, but Nikolai made the right decision based on the information he had. The problem was that it was just wrong.

The EAN is joining out of opportunism. There have been border disputes between Sweden and Novgorod all the way back into the pre-POD era. Nobody not already involved in the Great Northern War has any interest in getting into it, although Rhomania and the Triple Monarchy favor the Russians.

For the sake of my sanity and keeping everything straight, I'm casting an intermittent butterfly net on names. If the etymology of the OTL name would also work ITTL, such as a derivative from a native word, I favor using it. It's not the most rigorously realistic approach, but it prevents confusion for both writer and reader which I consider more important.

I consider Nikolai to be pragmatic, but also misinformed. It's easy to make wrong decisions even if you're smart if your data set is just plain incorrect.

Roman Singapore is still a work in progress, but ethnically the populace will be mostly Malay throughout its history. The Romans don't like the Chinese because they are the most serious commercial rivals. They rely a lot on their textiles for trade and Chinese silks help drive the price down and lowering Roman profits. Both India and China are pretty good (especially the latter) at keeping Roman textiles out because of local production, so it is considered very important to keep the Indonesian market clear.

Command of the Baltic is going to be very important in the Great Northern War for logistical reasons.

Constantinople directly translates as City of Constantine, with New Rome an alternative name, so New Constantinople doesn't equal New New Rome.

Rhomania in the East may develop into despotates.

As of now, there are no clear cut scenarios where the Iron Gates is awarded and others were the Dragon is given. The Triumvirate just wanted their own medallion to issue considering the popularity of the Iron Gates.

The Russian capital will be moved soon; currently I'm favoring either Tver or Vladimir.

Rule number one of Roman strategy in the Far East is 'Keep the Shimazu as allies'. At this point Japan is a geographical expression.

I'm planning for a Malay-Greek creole to be the lingua franca of the Roman 'East Indies' and a Gujarati-Sinhala-Greek creole to be the lingua franca of the Roman 'West Indies' (India and Taprobane) in a century or two.

I like Leontopolis, although I like my original idea for the city's renaming.

Thanks for the link. He could prove useful.

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
I'm personally leaning towards Vladimir, on account that, next to Novgorod, is probably one of the greatest cities in the former Kievan Rus', but don't mind me.

My only thing, how would a creole language of more than one language family come about? It seems...weird to look at.

Roman Singapore is still a work in progress, but ethnically the populace will be mostly Malay throughout its history.
But, will you allow the Peranakans (mixed Chinese/Indian-Malay people) to settle in TTL's Singapore?

I'm planning for a Malay-Greek creole to be the lingua franca of the Roman 'East Indies' and a Gujarati-Sinhala-Greek creole to be the lingua franca of the Roman 'West Indies' (India and Taprobane) in a century or two.
Speaking of Roman "East Indies", is that equivalent to whole Indonesian archipelago? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Rhomania in the East may develop into despotates.

I sure hope not. If Despotates were so peachy why they would intervene in Libya to limit their aggrandizement? And Tripoli is not that strategic (by position, by resorces known or needed at the time or by numbers of pirates).

To paralell the development of despotates one has to look at how the British Empire developed its Dominions. The Empire was large and many of its colonies were too far for efective management from London. As the settler colonies, with bristish subjects as the main component, got more developed they started to demand a voice in their own destiny, something that London, with the glaring example of the US, was quick to give them.

While the settler component is absent from Rhomania's colonies in the East, the Romanization component replaces it since it is a cultural imperative of the Romans to teach their culture, language and religion to their subjects to make them a tax-paying member of the Empire. It is this Romanization which will bring political demands that Constantinople can't ignore, hence the despotates in the east.

To paralell the development of despotates one has to look at how the British Empire developed its Dominions. The Empire was large and many of its colonies were too far for efective management from London. As the settler colonies, with bristish subjects as the main component, got more developed they started to demand a voice in their own destiny, something that London, with the glaring example of the US, was quick to give them.

While the settler component is absent from Rhomania's colonies in the East, the Romanization component replaces it since it is a cultural imperative of the Romans to teach their culture, language and religion to their subjects to make them a tax-paying member of the Empire. It is this Romanization which will bring political demands that Constantinople can't ignore, hence the despotates in the east.

This is true enough, but the despotates don't have the United States as an example to follow. Independence would be viewed as natives pushing Rhomania out, and by extension the Rhomans. Something that won't be popular since Rhomania is devoloping the land and making life better. I don't think the Rhomans are oppressing their native subjects very much. As long as Rhomania can protect their subjects then their won't be much reason to try for independence anyway.

It isn't exactly like Great Britain and India, though maybe like Australia. Rhomania isn't making Hindus clean guns with pig fat or however it goes, but I suspect if Constantinople is under attack in a WW then the navy will be in the Mediterranean, not protecting New Constantinople. Though Rhomania will probably have two kinds of fleets: one suited for the Mediterranean and one for the East. I recall an update mentioning there being a difference between the two when Rhomania was first building ships in the Red Sea.

Now for my opinion to have any merit we need to know how natives are treated in Rhomania colonies. If it's been in an update someone please remind me, if not would Basileus be so kind as to inform us?

Now for my opinion to have any merit we need to know how natives are treated in Rhomania colonies. If it's been in an update someone please remind me, if not would Basileus be so kind as to inform us?

From what I remember the natives are treated a bit better than the Empire treats the Muslims in its core territories. They don't entirely trust them but at the same time are well aware that if they are being repressed and discriminated that the Rhomans can and will be kicked out, as Egypt has shown.

When the Delhi Sultanate took over northern India there were no Muslims in the Sub-Continent, the ruling class was on its own and they could not figure out how to convert them for a very long time until Sufi Muslims were tolerated and convinced Hindus to convert because the mystical and sometimes downright bizarre beliefs that the Sufis had which sometimes bordered on literal Hinduism just with Allah convinced Hindus to convert. Until that time the ruling class felt like it was under siege and realized that if they treated their Hindus like shit they can and would be overthrown by their Hindu population. I am very sure that Rhomania realizes this and is not overly trying to suppress its non-Christian and non Rhomanized population. They have examples in Egypt and in other nations that this simply does not work in the long run and if anything Rhomania is a very forward thinking country that always considers the long run.

As to Eastern Despotates I think that won't be for a while, at least until Rhoman culture becomes more or less predominant OR the natives start to get upset and the Rhomans placate them in order to do one or all of three things:
1: Help them assimilate faster by entrenching a Rhoman or Rhomanized ruling class
2: Direct local complains to the Despot, rather than Constantinople, which could place Constantinople in a good light as the guiding hand that prevents the Despots from being jerks (IIRC Rhomania did something like that already before the Despots were a thing. I think it was in Serbia before the place was centralized under one king.)
3: Decentralize the Empire, the lands of future Despotates might make more money if they have self government to collect taxes rather than shipping it to Constantinople. Think about how difficult it would be to collect taxes from Sri Lanka, send it Constantinople, then send it back to Sri Lanka to build a road? It would help cut costs and increase local efficiency. IIRC that is why the British gave the 13 colonies local governments, some elected and some appointed, was to manage local issues and taxation so Britain didn't have to micromanage them.

Deleted member 67076

Is there going to be any large scale immigration of Native Americans into the Empire or Europe?

Is there going to be any large scale immigration of Native Americans into the Empire or Europe?

Native Americans will have the same problems as OTL. European diseases will devestate the populations. If the nation is similar to the Spanish in the way of ruling over the Natives rather than the French trading post and English all-white colonies then it's possible after the population stabalizes. Since Mexico is already introduced to the deseases then the population in and around there will probably develop immunities first, but since Mexico is it's own nation then the natives won't freely immigrate to a European homeland. If the population can develop their immune sytstems and stabalize their population then maybe it could happen, but they would have to have native subjects instead of just telling the nomads to move.

Deleted member 67076

B444, if it ain't too much, can we get a ranking on the best armed forces by country?

I'd also like a map of the Americas, I want to know what the colonies/native empires look like. If it isn't too much of course.

On the Triune language; what's it called, triune? Will it go like OTL French or like OTL English? English just mixed itself with kinds of languages but French fought to stay 'French'.

How is Scotland coping in the EAN? Is it a bit of an afterthought that you just tack on the end when you think of the empire's regions or is it a defined member of the country. I'm trying to find a way to say this without making it sound like a state. You can see my decentralized Americanness shining through.

Let's just marvel at Constantinople in the meanwhile:
constantinople.jpg

1099-1453_AD_Constantinople_1.gif

hagia-sophia-02.jpg

theod-walls-const800px-walls_of_constantinople.jpg

Constantinople1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.