An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Thus are the downsides of a coalition. Everyone has their own separate agenda which may or may not align.

Things are looking kinda bleak for the Anti-Triunes. They have Elizabeth and her Russians, Bone Breaker's son and his people, and the Pomeranians. Gonna need a lot more to take on the might of the Triunes.

I think it was Napoleon (not sure, but he would’ve been in a position to know) about how nice it was to fight coalitions.

When Hungary was an Empire, was it more administratively integrated? Or was it more like the Triple Monarchy, with the clear divisions?

Like the Triple Monarchy. The Imperial title was a prestige gimmick and didn’t signify any administrative changes.

Man, the Bohemians of Hungary-Austria are like the Hungarians of Austria-Hungary.

Yup, but there always seems to be somebody in these composite personal monarchies. Hungary in Austria-Hungary is the most famous but I think that’s recency bias showing. Look at England and Scotland when they were in personal union in the 1600s, or Castile and Aragon throughout the early modern period. (Although territorially, Stephen’s realm right now really looks a lot like late A-H.)

Ngl understandable why Stephen ragequit his Allie’s are really useless lol

Can’t fault him either.

I know that Karl is weak physically but wouldn’t it be great if he is somehow become like Augustus and Alfred the great, since both of them isn’t that great physically but make up their lack of physical strength with their intellect

I admit I haven’t given much thought to Karl Manfred’s character; his mother has been holding the spotlight.

Are the Triunes requisitioning supplies if they're going all the way to Austria? Can't imagine the locals will be happy with Triune troops marching across Germany as they please....

Looks like Vienna is doing quite a bit worse than OTL - over the course of a few decades it's been taken by force 3 times?

Keep a pin in that thought.

That sounds right for Vienna, although I admit I haven’t got back and checked to be sure. Although Vienna isn’t as important ITTL, since it’s not the Habsburg capital and Buda is the center for the Hungarian-Austrian state.

Ouch - Stephens life really is one step forward one step back. His realm looks quite powerful on paper, but still clearly so fragile.
Would he have been able to muster a relief army in his own if he was able to get his realm to cooperate?

I feel bad for him. It’s unintentional, but he keeps accomplishing things but then events happen to largely render them moot.

If he’d gotten prompt aid from all his realms, he might’ve been able to put an army into the field big enough to compete with Vauban, although how long he could keep that up is questionable. (One really noticeable thing about European states and armies in this period is that states were a lot better at raising armies than sustaining them, which is why warfare was so devastating to countryside and population.) Then the outcome would depend on how things shook out between Stephen and Vauban.

I'm wondering how different Mexico is from OTL aside from the transplanted Arletian noble layer on top and admixture. Was Lake Texcoco drained and its chinampas/floating gardens destroyed? Were the Templo Mayor destroyed as in OTL or was it converted to a cathedral?

the country is a junction of the Incas and Aztecs. It's going to be a very different country, even if it's split into 2 in the future. Probably these destructions do not occur, or if they do, they are on a smaller scale.

I’m thinking of doing something like ‘The Atlantic World’ update(s) towards the end of the 1600s. But right now, I’m focused on the threads I currently have spooled up, the current German one, Demetrios the Younger’s arc, and Rhomania in the Little Ice Age. And waiting behind them are the Great Crises (not necessarily what they’ll be officially called) of the Triple Monarchy, Vijayanagar, and Vlachia.

So, I really need to clear some of these before I add more. I just don’t have the creative energy to think about more. That’s why I may have been rather short and abrupt with people when they start talking about other topics other than these. I don’t mean to be rude, but adding more threads to what I already have going and what is being prepped just makes the feeling of burnout start creeping through my brain.

And lately I’ve been really wanting to return my writing roots and go back to my sci-fi universe. I even came up with an idea of how to cross that sci-fi universe with TTL; Romans in space. Because Basileus-class space battleships are cool.

A few days ago I posted the latest section of Not the End: The Empire under the Laskarids. With their Karamanid allies at their side, the Roman advance eastward resumes. Turkish fragmentation and demoralization means the final years of Turkish Anatolia are anti-climatic, but in the chaos a leader named Osman gathers his followers and begins a march eastward to forge a new destiny.

And lately I’ve been really wanting to return my writing roots and go back to my sci-fi universe. I even came up with an idea of how to cross that sci-fi universe with TTL; Romans in space. Because Basileus-class space battleships are cool.
Looking forward to it. I find TLs where nations head to the stars before planetary unification less common and thus more interesting than just another take on the Terran Empire/Solar Republic.

Edit: Take your time of course and don't worry about the future or other issues. Burnout would be a tragedy.

But right now, I’m focused on the threads I currently have spooled up, the current German one, Demetrios the Younger’s arc, and Rhomania in the Little Ice Age. And waiting behind them are the Great Crises (not necessarily what they’ll be officially called) of the Triple Monarchy, Vijayanagar, and Vlachia.
Demetrios the Younger's currently in Afghanistan, and an upcoming Vijayanagar crises - going to assume they're related.

Because Basileus-class space battleships are cool.
Hopefully they're like purple trimmed Star Destroyers.

I’m thinking of doing something like ‘The Atlantic World’ update(s) towards the end of the 1600s. But right now, I’m focused on the threads I currently have spooled up, the current German one, Demetrios the Younger’s arc, and Rhomania in the Little Ice Age. And waiting behind them are the Great Crises (not necessarily what they’ll be officially called) of the Triple Monarchy, Vijayanagar, and Vlachia.

So, I really need to clear some of these before I add more. I just don’t have the creative energy to think about more. That’s why I may have been rather short and abrupt with people when they start talking about other topics other than these. I don’t mean to be rude, but adding more threads to what I already have going and what is being prepped just makes the feeling of burnout start creeping through my brain.

Worldbuilding on the scale and level of detail of AAOM is not an easy job. At times, it's easy to take these almost weekly updates for granted but B444 has always strived to deliver consistently on time withiut compromising on quality. We don't see the painstaking research, writing and proofreading going on behind the scenes and develop high expectations.

I for one will try not to overstimulate B444 with new prompts lest we end up with another GRRM (regardless of how tempting Romans in space sound)

The Lands of Germany (and neighbors), 1651
The Lands of Germany (and Neighbors), 1651:

Things are not looking well for the enemies of Philip Sigismund and Henri II as 1650 ends and 1651 begins. Saxony, Brandenburg, and Pomerania, while forming a solid bloc in the northeastern corner of the Holy Roman Empire, is hardly a match against foes who can draw on resources from central Germany to Brittany. The twenty thousand Russian soldiers are not enough, by themselves, to address the gap.

Leopold, Elizabeth, Karl, and Wartislaw all appeal to the Russians for more military aid, but to no avail. Stephen’s withdrawal, given his control of Silesia, had cut the original land route, but the liberation of Pomerania had opened another potential corridor along the Baltic coast. But this one is simply not as good. The roads in Pomerania are not as good as the ones in Silesia, while simultaneously being vulnerable to naval attacks from the Baltic.

Furthermore, Russian resources are focused elsewhere. Both Reval and St. Petersburg have finally fallen to their respective sieges, but the war continues. Peter II of Scandinavia is not ready to give up, expecting Triune assistance in his war once Leopold and Elizabeth are dealt with. But such promises are dependent on Peter II continuing to hold the Russians until that eventuality has happened.

The fighting is a mix of two types. The first is Scandinavian naval raids on the Prussian and Russian coasts. Given Scandinavian command of the sea, with Russian and Prussian naval units blockaded in their harbors, these attacks are highly mobile and tie down a large number of Prussian and Russian troops. The second type is a vicious fluid war in the Finnish forests, which seesaws back and forth with little result other than increasing the body count. The end result is that while Moscow is willing to maintain the expedition to Germany and to send replacements as necessary, no more aid is forthcoming.

At the same time, disturbances in Central Asia are putting pressure on the southern Siberian frontier. There is no connection between the events in the Baltic and in Central Asia other than coinciding in time, but it does illustrate quite neatly Moscow’s need to look both to Europe and to Asia. These threats are not serious, but unavoidably absorb some more of Russian resources and energies.

Another possible source of aid is from Henri’s south, the Kingdoms of Arles and Spain. That eventuality has been the biggest concern to worry Henri, but his good fortune in this area continues to hold. Arletian and especially Spanish attentions had earlier been focused on curbing the Romans in Italy, and in those passing years the pro-Triune elements in the Arletian court have grown steadily in strength and authority.

Spain is a different matter, but King Ferdinand by late 1650 is dying. He is the first monarch of an administratively-united Kingdom of Spain, as opposed to a composite monarchy of Castile and Portugal. While he has a clear, uncontested, and adult heir in his son Joao, neither Ferdinand nor Joao wish to rock the boat in these political circumstances. Their concerns are sharpened by that surfeit of ‘bored, angry, learned, young men’ that is particularly bountiful in the Mediterranean countries combined with poor agricultural harvests. Grain riots in 1650 are double the average of the 1620-40 period, and some of the communes are rumbling discontent over tax rates. Now is not the time for foreign adventures.

The aid comes from a somewhat unsuspected but hoped-for avenue. Leopold had been doing his utmost in a propaganda war to galvanize the German princes and people into rising up against Philip Sigismund and Henri II. Elizabeth is much more wary of such endeavors. Given her experiences of the Constantinople mob and the Ravens, she doesn’t like the idea of appealing to the common people and encouraging them to take up arms. She prefers reaching out to established authorities as she had done in Moscow. In the context of Germany, that means appealing to the princes and other sovereign authorities, but no one else.

Leopold recognizes that won’t be enough. Those sovereign authorities are too intimidated by the pair of Emperors to rise up, especially given the current disparity of odds. After viewing the punishment heaped upon Austria, the likes of the Duke of Cleves are uninclined to stick their necks out. But the common people are less prone to such political calculations and might light a fire under the authorities to make them see things Leopold’s and Elizabeth’s ways. As a Habsburg, Leopold is quite familiar with the Bernese League and has seen such things happen before. Furthermore, that experience means that the idea of armed and organized commoners doesn’t bother him nearly as much as it does Elizabeth.

His efforts to spark such a reaction amidst the German countryside was why Leopold had been strongly reluctant to attack Philip directly. The ensuing forced requisitions would’ve done much to alienate said countryside and redirect German anger away from Philip and Henri to Leopold and Elizabeth. The result last year had admittedly been disastrous with Stephen withdrawing from the alliance. But the devastation of Austria, combined with the Imperial and Triune requisitions to sustain that attack, had further stoked that again. In addition, the sheer size of the Triune-Imperial army, while intimidating Stephen, had increased the strain of requisitions much further than usual, making it especially incendiary to the Germans who were forced to endure such harsh burdens.

The ignition comes from Nuremberg. The exact sequence of events is unsure, with some historians skeptical of the parallelism present in contemporary accounts. According to those accounts, in early May a crowd had been gathered outside one of Nuremberg’s churches (which one varies) when some of the garrison soldiers (French in some telling, English in others) got too friendly with some of the women. The enraged menfolk fell on the soldiers and slew them. With the crowd whipped up, and probably realizing that after what they’d done there was no way out but forward, the cry went out. “Death to the French! Death to the English! For the liberty of Germany!”

All accounts agree that as the cry went up, the bells tolled for Vespers.

By morning the garrison has been overwhelmed and massacred. The swift success has led many historians to expect premeditation, with an uprising planned which then just tapped into the fortuitous events in the courtyard. It is a probable, but unprovable, assertion.

If anyone had done the premeditation, it was likely Andreas Hofer. Andreas was a war veteran, missing his left arm which had been amputated after one of the battles of Ruse. That war wound, which invalided him home, meant he missed Thessaloniki. Although not titled nobility, his family was prosperous and locally prominent, giving him significant social influence in his local area northeast of Nuremberg.

Using his social connections and military experience, over preceding years he had created a local self-defense force that had largely succeeded in keeping forced contributions and military depredations to a minimum, although he had been unable to stop them entirely. As pressure mounted with worsening agricultural conditions and expanded Triune-Imperial military activity, he had been gradually expanding his network.

There is no clear evidence that Andreas Hofer had played a role in the Nuremberg Uprising, but he did show up with a substantial armed following to defend the city suspiciously quickly afterwards. Furthermore, he is extremely active in spreading the word of what was happening at Nuremberg, doing his utmost to rally aid to defend the area against the inevitable reprisal.

Philip’s and Henri’s aim this year had been directed at Saxony but the news of Nuremberg forces a radical shift. Both are well aware of Leopold’s efforts to stir up a broad rebellion against them and this is the first potential fruit of that. It must be squelched immediately before it can spread. The wiping out of a garrison by an urban mob is also a humiliation and show of weakness that must be answered promptly.

But the demand for speed runs up against the necessity for success. A rushed operation has more risk of failure, and so the Triune-Imperial response is delayed, sacrificing speed for strength. Six weeks pass before the riposte is launched, which means that when it is launched it is sixty thousand strong, but that also gives six weeks for would-be allies of Nuremberg to prepare for the coming blow.

Leopold, recognizing the opportunity, reacts with far more alacrity to the call from Nuremberg compared to the call from Stephen. He rallies his Saxon troops, appeals to Karl for Brandenburg reinforcements, and pressures the Russians for aid. Elizabeth is skeptical, wary of what she thinks of as an urban rabble, but also acknowledges reluctantly that they are in no position to be picky. Interestingly, the Russians are more enthusiastic than her, with one Russian officer remarking that ‘finally the Germans are showing themselves to be men’. Leopold can’t match the sixty thousand Triune-Imperial army, but he is able to muster forty-five thousand to march to Nuremberg’s aid.

The siege of Nuremberg is conducted by Marshal Vauban and is fiercely contested by the townspeople, led by Andreas Hofer who through sheer force of personality has made himself their commander. After eleven days though the Triune-Imperial army breaks off the attack, preferring to face the approaching Leopold away from the city, although the ensuing battle is usually styled inaccurately as the battle of Nuremberg.

Vauban is a superb siege commander but has no experience of commanding a large army in the field of battle. He does have much experience of field battles, but solely as a subordinate commander overseeing the artillery train. Thus, when he encounters Leopold on the field, he falls back on old habits, pounding the Saxon-Russian lines heavily with artillery. The barrage is fierce, but with Vauban focused here he fails to notice the Brandenburg troops under Duke Karl working around his flank, protected from view by the terrain. Until they crash into said flank, ripping it apart with solid musket volleys followed by an ambrolar charge.

Tactically the battle plays out much as Breitenfeld did, but this time the Triune-Imperial army takes much heavier losses, possibly as many as fifteen thousand casualties and half its guns, before it retreats. Leopold and Karl ride into Nuremberg as triumphant heroes; the city has been saved.

Nuremberg marks the last combat foray of Marshal Vauban. As punishment, Henri II insists that Vauban retire, but that is the extent of the demerits; Henri recognizes that overall, the Marshal has given him good service. Officially the grounds are given as ill health, which have significant truth. A year later, the Marshal will undergo a successful operation for the removal of some kidney stones.

The news of Nuremberg, of the uprising and then the successful defense of the city, finally spark a fire across Germany. Breitenfeld had been something, but now there is an example of a successful rebellion, and the battle of Nuremberg was a far greater and more impressive triumph of arms. This time, Germany responds.

Congrats to Germany, though I see that the Coalition's lack of response to the Siege of Vienna has neatly separated the Austrians from the general German identity.

I'm sure "What if the Austrians were saved by the Coalition?" will be one of those big What-Ifs in TTL's AH.com, alongside things like "What if Osman established the Ottoman Empire in Anatolia?" or "What if Andreas destroyed the Ottomans during his invasion of Mesopotamia?".

Last edited:
Man I really feel for the people of Germany. It has been basically uninterrupted combat since 1634 combined with Little Ice Age level harvests and other meteorological disasters.

I know the Thirty Years War was somehow worse than this but still. The people can't catch a break.

Guess we’ll be seeing rebellions cropping up all over Germany. Triune superiority in firepower will be counterbalanced by guerrilla hit and runs all over their supply trains & need to put more troops into garrison duty.

Will result in a quagmire of expenses and give the coalition more numerical parity.

So this is kind of a second German peasantry uprising like one in the previous years? Would this mean that the peasants would have greater representation in politics in general if the Germans win this struggle? Also, please remind me if we already had some equivalent of the Treaty of Westphalia in this timeline. I can't remember if we had.

OTL 30 Years War resulted in further German decentralisation but this is shaping up to be a war of German unity, and if the peasantry are somewhat uplifted (but everyone's still cautious given the Raven experience) that will require a stronger Emperor to balance them with the Nobility (of which Elizabeth will be indebted to him).

Somehow we get we a somewhat centralised HRE with a strong Hapsburg Emperor?

OTL 30 Years War resulted in further German decentralisation but this is shaping up to be a war of German unity, and if the peasantry are somewhat uplifted (but everyone's still cautious given the Raven experience) that will require a stronger Emperor to balance them with the Nobility (of which Elizabeth will be indebted to him).

Somehow we get we a somewhat centralised HRE with a strong Hapsburg Emperor?
centralised HRE is a very strong nation. future wars against such a nation would not be easy.

Assuming that their territories remain mostly the same up until the industrial revolution, aren't the Ottomans sitting on like 90% of the Middle Eastern oil money? I was thinking about Persia's positioning in the modern day and they've got the potential for something like the economic power of half an OPEC by themselves.
1659345164786.png
1659345244974.png

Assuming that their territories remain mostly the same up until the industrial revolution, aren't the Ottomans sitting on like 90% of the Middle Eastern oil money? I was thinking about Persia's positioning in the modern day and they've got the potential for something like the economic power of half an OPEC by themselves.
View attachment 763157View attachment 763158
Oman's control over the strait would be a potentially crippling security problem for them if the borders stay the same, and that's assuming they avoid colonial control of their oil supply. But either way short of some land based pipelines (to the Romans more than likely, irony of ironies) throwing some mines in that strait would cripple them economically.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Oman's control over the strait would be a potentially crippling security problem for them if the borders stay the same, and that's assuming they avoid colonial control of their oil supply. But either way short of some land based pipelines (to the Romans more than likely, irony of ironies) throwing some mines in that strait would cripple them economically.
That presumes Oman would be able to capitalize on that control. Unless Oman gets a massive bump to its population that control would be decent for levying tolls right to the point it got more than annoying. It would be like Denmark trying to single handily take on the British or Germans by restricting access to the Baltic/North Atlantic after 1820.

Congrats to Germany, though I see that the Coalition's lack of response to the Siege of Vienna has neatly separated the Austrians from the general German identity.

I'm sure "What if the Austrians were saved by the Coalition?" will be one of those big What-Ifs in TTL's AH.com, alongside things like "What if Osman established the Ottoman Empire in Anatolia?" or "What if Andreas destroyed the Ottomans during his invasion of Mesopotamia?".

That wasn’t consciously intended on my part, but it is amusing to see Austria’s Hungarian connection, even though the TTL nature is different from OTL, having a somewhat similar effect of drawing Austria out of the German sphere.

Man I really feel for the people of Germany. It has been basically uninterrupted combat since 1634 combined with Little Ice Age level harvests and other meteorological disasters.

I know the Thirty Years War was somehow worse than this but still. The people can't catch a break.

One aspect is that it has been a lot like the OTL Hundred Years War, with bouts of intense fighting interspersed with lulls.

And also because the OTL Thirty Years War was incredibly brutal. For example, if an ASB forced you to live in a random place in the HRE during the 30 Years War or in the USSR during the Second World War, your chances of living are better off going with the Soviet pick. Scholars estimate the HRE lost 15-20% of its population during the conflict, while the USSR lost less than 12%, although in both cases there was massive regional variation.

Now one could say that WW2 was much shorter so the comparison isn’t valid. But let’s take Europe as a whole between 1914-45, the same span of time. WW1 and the influenza epidemic killed 5.5% of Europe’s population at the time. WW2 and the Holocaust killed 6% of Europe’s population at that time. Again, compare those numbers to the 15-20% from the Thirty Years War.

(Data from Peter H. Wilson’s The Thirty Years War.)

So this is kind of a second German peasantry uprising like one in the previous years? Would this mean that the peasants would have greater representation in politics in general if the Germans win this struggle? Also, please remind me if we already had some equivalent of the Treaty of Westphalia in this timeline. I can't remember if we had.

If the peasants can pull that off. History is full of revolutions that use up and then throw away their foot soldiers, who end up getting precious little for their efforts.

And no Westphalia equivalent, but the treaty that ends this conflict will be TTL’s equivalent, at least in terms of being a historical landmark.

Ottomans and Oil: Yeah, the Ottomans are really well placed in future times for all that oil revenue, if they keep anything like their current borders and can reliably utilize those reserves.