An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

On the topic of the middle kingdom here's a flag i made for the Zeng. Idk if this is even the right symbol but i think it looks kinda ok

Attachments

• 2020_03_20_103935.png
    2020_03_20_103935.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 185
such as the laundries and bathhouses which are almost all Zeng owned and operated.

I’m gonna call cultural appropriation on this one chief. Aren’t we Koreans supposed to be the stereotypical laundromat owners? Oppa boutta take the Zheng to the cleaners if you catch my drift...

Pyrgos, the ‘slave-snatching’ is typically conducted with proas, native outrigger vessels. These ships stand little chance in battle against a Roman warship, but are so fast that it is extremely difficult for even the fleetest Roman fregata to force an action.

So like how many strokes per minute do their rowers execute? And how many crew members per shell? I assume each proa is mainly sail powered, but modern day racers in a six-man shell with a single outrigger can go from 70 SPM to 90+ SPM at the professional level. I’m assuming the numbers are similar for military rowers.

I wonder if Orthidoxy will be able to grow a bit in poland now that it's more in Rhomes sphere now. Obviously there won't be a majority but maybe in major trade centers there could be a sizable Orthidox population.

I wonder if Orthidoxy will be able to grow a bit in poland now that it's more in Rhomes sphere now. Obviously there won't be a majority but maybe in major trade centers there could be a sizable Orthidox population.

I can see a more Orthodox Hungary for sure as they are both militarily and economically tied to Rhome/Serbia/Vlachia. I think Poland is a bridge too far. Maybe in the largest cities there's a church or two but that's it - I think Poland is too firmly Catholic and too far away for Orthodoxy to make major inroads.

I can see a more Orthodox Hungary for sure as they are both militarily and economically tied to Rhome/Serbia/Vlachia. I think Poland is a bridge too far. Maybe in the largest cities there's a church or two but that's it - I think Poland is too firmly Catholic and too far away for Orthodoxy to make major inroads.

I'm not so sure of that - consider that it is flanked to the south and the east - Rus is also applying pressure in that regard. Whilst I don't think it'll happen in the current century, but if the future brings a decline for the Empire of the North, especially one that leads to a Rus-dominated Baltic - say controlling the Oresund and the Belts. That would then effectively mean that it'd be North, South and East. Having the Baltic be a Russian Lake would certainly be a seismic shift in N.Europe, but that'd probably be enough.

I'm not so sure of that - consider that it is flanked to the south and the east - Rus is also applying pressure in that regard. Whilst I don't think it'll happen in the current century, but if the future brings a decline for the Empire of the North, especially one that leads to a Rus-dominated Baltic - say controlling the Oresund and the Belts. That would then effectively mean that it'd be North, South and East. Having the Baltic be a Russian Lake would certainly be a seismic shift in N.Europe, but that'd probably be enough.

I think this is pretty much inevitable for the same reason Sweden declined in the 18th Century - just not enough people in Scandinavia when compared to the powerhouses that are Russia, Triune France/England, and a resurrected Germany.

I think this is pretty much inevitable for the same reason Sweden declined in the 18th Century - just not enough people in Scandinavia when compared to the powerhouses that are Russia, Triune France/England, and a resurrected Germany.

Question is if one of them might prop them up to oppose Rome or Russia.

I wonder, how many ethnic greeks were in former bactria in the 1600 if at any? Idk what it would mean in the plot of this tl but it would be interesting if the Rhomans exploited it somehow

I wonder, how many ethnic greeks were in former bactria in the 1600 if at any? Idk what it would mean in the plot of this tl but it would be interesting if the Rhomans exploited it somehow
Do they even exists after like 1500 years ?
And yep they were Buddhist
They died with Kushan. When they changed their administrative language from Greek go Bactrian in the 2nd century that was because Eastern Greek was already on the decline. They did not survive the end of the Kushan state in the late 4th century.

Bactrian used Greek letters though, and the following Sassanid period and the period I can never spell (starts with an H I think) saw that language get influenced more by Western Iranian. The the Arabs came and launched their linguistic genocide of the old Iranian languages.

So no, there are no Greeks there. Or at least no one who would self identify as Greek, other than recent arrivals.

They died with Kushan. When they changed their administrative language from Greek go Bactrian in the 2nd century that was because Eastern Greek was already on the decline. They did not survive the end of the Kushan state in the late 4th century.

Bactrian used Greek letters though, and the following Sassanid period and the period I can never spell (starts with an H I think) saw that language get influenced more by Western Iranian. The the Arabs came and launched their linguistic genocide of the old Iranian languages.

So no, there are no Greeks there. Or at least no one who would self identify as Greek, other than recent arrivals.
Is their Greek legacy still felt to some extent? Like when the Romans would come they would greet them hello folks, we are the grandsons of Alexander's soldiers :) ?

Is their Greek legacy still felt to some extent? Like when the Romans would come they would greet them hello folks, we are the grandsons of Alexander's soldiers :) ?
Almost certainly some local villages would have some sort of mythic founding story that may or may not be true and for which the local people may or may not give in.

Keep in mind though that Alexander The Great is synonymous with a curse in Iranian culture. He is a vilified monster literally depicted as a demon with two horns in Islamic tradition. It is highly unlikely that any of them would have pride in being a part of the conquests when they have had a thousand years of vilification for that particular western conquest and many other more recent ones. That being said local people can be weird sometimes and take strange pride in their own oddities or uniqueness. Humans are like that.

See this for more information:

Almost certainly some local villages would have some sort of mythic founding story that may or may not be true and for which the local people may or may not give in.

Keep in mind though that Alexander The Great is synonymous with a curse in Iranian culture. He is a vilified monster literally depicted as a demon with two horns in Islamic tradition. It is highly unlikely that any of them would have pride in being a part of the conquests when they have had a thousand years of vilification for that particular western conquest and many other more recent ones. That being said local people can be weird sometimes and take strange pride in their own oddities or uniqueness. Humans are like that.

See this for more information:

Uhm your own source gives the reverse description, with the two horns indicating him as champion of Allah and Alexander building the wall that keeps at bay Gog and Magog. Even in Iranian texts you have on one hand Pahlavi scripts mostly depicting Alexander as an enemy but then you also have post-Islamic traditions making Alexander a Persian king/rightful owner of the throne.

Uhm your own source gives the reverse description, with the two horns indicating him as champion of Allah and Alexander building the wall that keeps at bay Gog and Magog. Even in Iranian texts you have on one hand Pahlavi scripts mostly depicting Alexander as an enemy but then you also have post-Islamic traditions making Alexander a Persian king/rightful owner of the throne.
Huh, maybe I was misremembering that detail. I still think it's unlikely you'd have people claiming Greek descent. It's been far too long, even without an element of hate. Though I suppose it could also die out in the pre-islamic period. Frankly I'm not certain anymore when it could have stopped being a thing but I doubt its lasted until the 1630s.

Probably not, perhaps there is some distant memory, or legend in some villages. Today the Kalash people in modern Pakistan claim that they descend from soldiers in the army of Alexander the Great, although this has not be proved yet. They have however some European characteristics, fair skin and often blue eyes . https://www.ancient-origins.net/his...tan-really-descendants-alexander-great-021731
You can also see this beautiful video about the Greco-Bactrian kingdom

Last edited:
Hoo boy. Read this TL from start to finish, and I am without enough words to express my sheer *awe*. Lack of nice maps notwithstanding, this was a real rollercoaster ride. From Nikaia to Konstantinoupolis to Alexandria to Singapore! @Basileus444, this is a true masterpiece. Yes, the first parts were a bit spotty on details (I refuse to believe Shah Rukh marched that big an army across the breadth of Asia and not lose atleast a third of it), but it improves substantially later on. So many memorable people, places and events. Second Manzikert, Cappadocian Caesarea, the Black Day, the end of Venice, that one time two emperors died of strokes and heart attacks, the exploits of Andreas the Victor, especially at that ancient field, the Dragon's last roar, the making (and breaking) of Lith+Nov!Russia, Romania in the East, Ethiopia resurgent (and Brihan of Merawi, can't forget her) and so much more. I wish history courses in school were based on this rather than modern history. Certainly there would be better maps. ;)

Romania has lived for 2500 years, may she live for 2500 years more! I want to see how the 3000th anniversary of Romania would be celebrated in the future, at the very end of this TL.