An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I suspect that the entire Kingdom of Lombardy will collectively shit their pants when they hear what happens at Thessaloniki. The news will probably reach them just as the two Lombard Dukes clash.

Interesting that their Eastern frontier has been stripped of troops. What will they do if D’Este decides to come back now that it’s a much easier target?

The two sides will race to make peace with the Romans and make concessions to Demetrios in return for support in gaining the throne in Milan. It's clear none of them have any nationalistic aspirations or loyalty to "Italy"; they just want more dynastic prestige and power.

I suspect that the entire Kingdom of Lombardy will collectively shit their pants when they hear what happens at Thessaloniki. The news will probably reach them just as the two Lombard Dukes clash.

Interesting that their Eastern frontier has been stripped of troops. What will they do if D’Este decides to come back now that it’s a much easier target?

They have more important things to think about at the moment. Like killing each other.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
What I think is funny is that if any nation could tell the Lombards how stupid it is to have a civil war when an enemy is at the gates it is Rhome.

The two sides will race to make peace with the Romans and make concessions to Demetrios in return for support in gaining the throne in Milan. It's clear none of them have any nationalistic aspirations or loyalty to "Italy"; they just want more dynastic prestige and power.

This. Demetrios is too pragmatic to pick the winner, he will let them pick one for him and whichever wins will be in his pocket, and terrified.

Was it just my imagination or did I see ITTL's version of Columbus leading a valiant yet hopeless charge against the blockade? Either way, the man may not have ended up reaching the new world but he sure had the balls to challenge the Rhomanian Fleet. And thoe wacky Venetians raiding in Germany would make for a good read, those guys sure are mad enough to raid that deep into the Reich.

This civil war in Lombardy will very much work in D3's favor alright, whomsoever wins will have certainly been backed by him, and then they'll be in his pockets, a move I reckon taken straight out of D2's notes

Or he can prop up the loser, who will be much more grateful since he owes his position to D3.

But to leave Lombardy in a even weaker state against everyone else. Too weak, and out come the wolves. The last thing the Accord want is a Despot in all but name, because Rhome isn't going to let anyone else have control of N. Italy. As I think of it, Lombardy could be the western, Catholic, Georgia. Best to have a grateful and capable North Italy to maintain the balance and have a bigger market for goods in friendlier ports. Really at heart the magnates in North Italy are mostly merchant based in their 'democracies', with the right treaty and economic deals, Lombardy could be how Rhome keeps it's western border properly secured. So the when the Ottomans clock is up, well let's just say D3 doesn't get the 'Forgotten' just because of his reign.

It makes the greater war, even more on the Rhomans side as well because with a amicable relationship with the Accord and a Rhoman friendly, independant Lombardy, D3 can really press into Pannonia and Austria to properly send the message home with style.

The North in Italy is major in industrial strength i.o.t.l. With the backing of the Empire the south may be different.

A big impact already is the relatively lack of piracy. With the Roman East no source of piracy, and the sources of the Barbary pirates addressed/minimised by Carthage, Southern Italy sits at the heart of an economic powerhouse in the Med. It wouldn't surprise me if we discover Southern Italy begins to flourish with a number of Macedonian refugees travelling across to the now significantly secure southern part of Italy.

Regardless, overall this war is going to have some serious economic impacts for the Empire. We've got the security changes for Italy, leaving the rest of Italy effectively the secure western flank of the Romans with little piracy to worry about, and a long coast to trade on. We've got the depopulation as a result of the Great Transfer which is going to hurt, the depopulation of parts of Egypt, the demographic collapse of Syria, and the now-Roman N.Mesopotamian region. That's ignoring the explosion in bond-holding, and the acquisition of New World ports and the ability to engage in direct trade with Mexico via the Caribbean.

The Post War economics of the Succession War are going to be deeply interesting, and we've still got to find out how the Bavaria and the Wittlesbachs will hold out, and the fate of eastern Europe to decide. My Economics Nerd is excited!

A couple ideas:
- I don't think D3 it's going to abdicate soon, I presume that he HAS PLANS for after the war. More likely Odyseus is crowned co-Emperor and D3 get out of the spotlight and little to little start to transfer reponsibilities to his son.
- With a more Roman Italy, what's going to happend with the City of Rome and the Papacy? If the plan is to get a more definitive status in the west, the Pope out of Rome is a problem, and the Pope need to feel secure in Rome.
- The Despotate of Italy is maybe going to get to strong. Maybe they can separate it in a despotate of Sicily and other of Italy.

A couple ideas:
- I don't think D3 it's going to abdicate soon, I presume that he HAS PLANS for after the war. More likely Odyseus is crowned co-Emperor and D3 get out of the spotlight and little to little start to transfer reponsibilities to his son.
- With a more Roman Italy, what's going to happend with the City of Rome and the Papacy? If the plan is to get a more definitive status in the west, the Pope out of Rome is a problem, and the Pope need to feel secure in Rome.
- The Despotate of Italy is maybe going to get to strong. Maybe they can separate it in a despotate of Sicily and other of Italy.

I think a fracturing of Northern Italy is more likely. Tuscany, Genoa will split off and probably the loser is going to retain some other area. Rome and Umbria will probably be under the roman "umbrella". A big cantonization of the area could be possible.

Maybe we're all thinking too hard. Maybe D3 dies in office from bad health/stress. In 1632 B444 said "In two calendar years he [D3] was said to have aged ten" because the job of being Emperor took such a physical toll on the guy. I can't imagine the job has gotten easier or less stressful since then.

Maybe we're all thinking too hard. Maybe D3 dies in office from bad health/stress. In 1632 B444 said "In two calendar years he [D3] was said to have aged ten" because the job of being Emperor took such a physical toll on the guy. I can't imagine the job has gotten easier or less stressful since then.
That's very possible. It is also noted that he is drinking a great deal more than he probably should.

Of course with a proverbial light at the end of the tunnel for this war, perhaps his stress will be reduced and his health improve somewhat.

Maps-Demetrian Agreement
Alright, guys !
Since the big nice map of Europe is almost complete, here is a teaser with a couple mini-maps showing the impact of the Demetrian Agreement.

Before :
Before_the_Demetrian_Agreement.png

After :
After_the_Demetrian_Agreement.png

Color scheme used is TACOS, base map is 8K-BAM.
The uncommonly-colored countries are : Idwaits in Sudanese Brown, Howeitats in Jordanese Pink, Northern Anizzah in Syrian Purple, and Nejd in Daesh Black.
And of course as the top of the map is Georgia.

Last edited:

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
The map sure makes it look like a clean swap and with Damascus and Jerusalem the Ottomans would seem to have come ahead in theory. That is till you realize that everything west of Mesopotamia is essentially undefendable and Mesopotamia itself is rather vulnerable in the next war while Rhome has locked the Ottomans from getting to the Anatolian heartland.

In the next war I think the Rhomans should try to get Mosul and most of the Kurdish lands, they have been rather loyal and in the future it is a source of petroleum.