An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

IMO the deal in Egypt is a good one. However, I think on the long-term the Malikate will be prone to instability.
Then comes the Ottoman war. There are three possible scenarii :
1) Crushing Roman-Ethiopian-Georgian victory. I could see Georgia expanding in Mesopotamia, but the rest being turned in one or more Despotates. Probability : around 10%.
2) Narrow Roman-Ethiopian-Georgian victory. Much more probable than the previous scenario due to Iskandar being a great general. Minor border ajustments are to be seen in favor of the Romans and Ethiopians, but Iskandar will not give up lots of land. Probability : higher than 50%, I'd give it 60%.
3)Narrow Roman-Ethiopian-Georgian defeat. Less probabie due to quality and power of Roman army as such. Georgia looses the land it gained from Timur II, the Kaaba returns to Mecca, which might become an Ottoman dominion. Probability : 30%

I'm personally hoping Iskandor wins in an narrow margin. He's pretty cool and it would seriously help him in beating the shit out of the fanatics in his own lands with that as an major victory.

I'm personally hoping Iskandor wins in an narrow margin. He's pretty cool and it would seriously help him in beating the shit out of the fanatics in his own lands with that as an major victory.

His victory at least against the Georgians is the most likely outcome. Against the romans I'dguess a draw is in the cards. The romans are still busy putting down rebellions, it would be unrealistic for them to kick the shit out of Iskandar. The biggest question is the Kaaba and the situation in Mecca.

GdwnsnHo

Banned
His victory at least against the Georgians is the most likely outcome. Against the romans I'dguess a draw is in the cards. The romans are still busy putting down rebellions, it would be unrealistic for them to kick the shit out of Iskandar. The biggest question is the Kaaba and the situation in Mecca.

The Romans will try their hardest not to give Iskandar Mecca, or the Black stone - it gives him the legitimacy to unify Islam, or a more zealous heir, which would be a nightmare for Constantinople.

Now I'm less concerned with the rebellions as the Army of Egypt is coming back up, and Oman and Ethiopia can raid the southern coast of Persia. Iskandar would need to win the war quickly once they begin doing that otherwise he's going to be losing access to men and resources just as the Romans are regaining them.

Why can't the Romans give the kaa'ba to their omani allies, or if control of Mecca is a necessity for the "protector of the Holy Cities" title to be taken seriously, they could just perform a housecleaning operation in the hedjaz, appoint a vassal king ( they're already at war with the Ottomans, so they won't care about being blatant), give him the kaa'ba, and go?

Why can't the Romans give the kaa'ba to their omani allies, or if control of Mecca is a necessity for the "protector of the Holy Cities" title to be taken seriously, they could just perform a housecleaning operation in the hedjaz, appoint a vassal king ( they're already at war with the Ottomans, so they won't care about being blatant), give him the kaa'ba, and go?

Because, like Iskander, they want to be paid for their efforts. And also as a general screw you guys to their antagonistic neighbours and belligerant subjects in the Levant. Remember that their policy towards Muslims is 'We like ours in Anatolia, but to hell with the rest.' While they will deal with the others as needed, because realpolitick follows no law save practicality, they still would rather see them fade away than hand them shineys that could net the Romans bragging rights and money.

Just wanted to say that this timeline inspired me to both join this website, and to start planning my own TL. Keep up the good work!

1600 Map
Here's a map. I'll respond to the other posts later when I get a chance.

West%20Eurasia%201600_zps9z9ez2xm.png
Map Legend:​
1) Kingdom of Lotharingia​
2) Kingdom of Aragon​
3) Kingdom of Arles​
4) Counties of Saluzzo and Nice​
5) Republic of Genoa​
6) Kingdom of Lombardy​
7) Duchy of Florence and Commune of Pisa (pink in corner)​
8) Commune of Siena​
9) Papal States​
10) Duchy of the Marche​
11) Duchies of Ragusa and Split (Roman vassals)​
12) Despotate of Sicily​
13) Despotate of Carthage​
14) Taking a vacation in Bermuda​
15) Territories ceded to the Megas Kyr Anizzah at the Treaty of Van​
16) Kingdom of Prussia​
17) Kingdom of Poland​
18) Kingdom of Vlachia​
19) Kingdom of Majorca-Sardinia (Kingdom of the Isles)​
20) Despotate of Egypt​
21) Georgian territories currently occupied by Ottomans​

Here's a map. I'll respond to the other posts later when I get a chance.

West%20Eurasia%201600_zps9z9ez2xm.png
Map Legend:​
1) Kingdom of Lotharingia​
2) Kingdom of Aragon​
3) Kingdom of Arles​
4) Counties of Saluzzo and Nice​
5) Republic of Genoa​
6) Kingdom of Lombardy​
7) Duchy of Florence and Commune of Pisa (pink in corner)​
8) Commune of Siena​
9) Papal States​
10) Duchy of the Marche​
11) Duchies of Ragusa and Split (Roman vassals)​
12) Despotate of Sicily​
13) Despotate of Carthage​
14) Taking a vacation in Bermuda​
15) Territories ceded to the Megas Kyr Anizzah at the Treaty of Van​
16) Kingdom of Prussia​
17) Kingdom of Poland​
18) Kingdom of Vlachia​
19) Kingdom of Majorca-Sardinia (Kingdom of the Isles)​
20) Despotate of Egypt​
21) Georgian territories currently occupied by Ottomans​

I honestly can't find 14 on the map (presumably because its actually in Bermuda). What the hell is it?

Wow...the Marinids aren't as large as they used to be...

Also..why Scythia? I'm pretty sure the Scythian peoples were displaced centuries ago...

Wow...the Marinids aren't as large as they used to be...

Also..why Scythia? I'm pretty sure the Scythian peoples were displaced centuries ago...

It's a kind of callback. Think OTL 20th Century Ghana, or Mali. Perhaps several clans of the Roxolani/Sarmatians stayed there, as a minor POD that has absolutely no effect on the Rhomania part of the timeline as a whole.

If you want I can repost the map I made with the tweaked borders in northern Italy (there are things only a local would notice). Then a couple of observations:
- the border between Arles and Aragon doesn't take into account that Roussilon is now of the former after the civil war of the latter (so essentialy it does look like OTL's between France and Spain);
-Cyrenaica is now vassal of Costantinople and not anymore part of the Despotate of Egypt? Not that I'm complaining: the copts had trouble projecting out of the delta, not really feasible to keep down that region.... or maybe it never was part of that.