An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Deleted member 81475

Al-Andalus :(

Say, can we have a list of Andreas III's children by mother?

Are there any plans for the Spanish to push further into Africa? Perhaps wipe out the Barbary pirates once and for all and seize the the black stone from Marrakesh?

With this renewed crusading zeal would the Pope seek to press/finance the war further? And given Avignon only has Iberia left are there any plans to give the Spanish an Imperial crown like Hungary?

Are there any plans for the Spanish to push further into Africa? Perhaps wipe out the Barbary pirates once and for all and seize the the black stone from Marrakesh?

With this renewed crusading zeal would the Pope seek to press/finance the war further? And given Avignon only has Iberia left are there any plans to give the Spanish an Imperial crown like Hungary?

NOOOOO!! Rome is the only true Empire! Anyone else who tries to pretend to be one will be cast down like the overproud Hungarians! (Well the false Empire is currently too powerful for our tastes, but when the time comes they too will be cast down )

NOOOOO!! Rome is the only true Empire! Anyone else who tries to pretend to be one will be cast down like the overproud Hungarians! (Well the false Empire is currently too powerful for our tastes, but when the time comes they too will be cast down )

Well to be fair TTL has a lot more Empires than OTL. The Roman Empire, HRE, Hungarian, (formerly) Russian, United Kingdoms, Empire of all the North, I guess the Persians count as well. Imperial titles seem to be a dime a dozen now, especially as the trend is going towards Federal Empires. Since Spain (is it called that TTL) now has a sizable Muslim as well as Portuguese element I guess it's an "Empire" too.

JohnSmith: It’s a theoretical advantage. The Romans have greater manpower resources than the Spanish and greater financial resources over both the Spanish and Triunes (the 3 are the big players; everyone else are medium-rates at best) but they've been deploying a smaller percentage to overseas affairs since the 1580s.
Is there any reason why the Roman percentage is less? The Spanish have the Marinid/Corsairs and the Triunes have the Uber-HRE and Arles as threats as well.

the Patriarch is not amused when he hears the news.
So I'm guessing this complicates Andreas' divorce plans if the German Emperor kicks the bucket first.

Is there any reason why the Roman percentage is less? The Spanish have the Marinid/Corsairs and the Triunes have the Uber-HRE and Arles as threats as well.
Because the Romans have been fighting the Ottomans and other Muslims on land non-stop for a while now. Triunes and HRE haven't fought each other with the same intensity yet, what with the Brothers' War and the fall of Hungary distracting the Germans.

Also the Marinid threat has been pretty low key compared to the slugging matches that the Romans have been having with basically all of its neighbours.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Its been a while since I've read this TL. Is the Roman house still that Komnenos-Paliologos-Doukas fusion, or did some general take over yet?

I'm sorry Its been a while since I've read this TL. Is the Roman house still that Komnenos-Paliologos-Doukas fusion, or did some general take over yet?
Komnenid Dynasty fell during a large succession crisis a la the Russian Time of Troubles. It got replaced by the Drakid Dynasty (Dragos cel Mare's line).

Komnenid Dynasty fell during a large succession crisis a la the Russian Time of Troubles. It got replaced by the Drakid Dynasty (Dragos cel Mare's line).
Did they at least intermarry with the Komnenid Dynasty, I mean it was pretty badass from what I remember reading, killing off the Lord of asia and all that. I left off specifically right after that spider prince killed off his cousins, and the Girl (Twin of claiment?) took over.

Did they at least intermarry with the Komnenid Dynasty, I mean it was pretty badass from what I remember reading, killing off the Lord of asia and all that. I left off specifically right after that spider prince killed off his cousins, and the Girl (Twin of claiment?) took over.
I can't precisely remember; the lines of marriages are so intermingled that it's nearly impossible to keep track of it.

I think they did though. Andreas's sister's descendant (with the peasant general di Lecce's line) married a Drakid Princess, and their son became the Emperor.

Last edited:
I'm sure Andreas had a second sister that was raped in front of him on the Black Day.

IIRC that sister's descendants are the ruling dynasty of Sicily (although it has now merged back into the main Imperial family with Andreas III). And Andreas I's bastard sister had some strategos son who's family has faded in obscurity after the ToT.

Spain is not the Emperor.

RogueTraderEnthusiast: The Roman government isn’t completely hands-off but private initiative plays a majority role. To give an example, if the Romans decided to put up a 20-ship fleet, eight of those would be coming from the Katepano with the other 12 coming from Ship Lords with the biggest among them putting up 3 or 4.

If the Roman government decided to go all-out, it would make a big difference. That is how Taprobane was taken; Nikephoros IV was willing to finance and equip a tagma-sized expedition to do so. The problem is that is super expensive and the Empire doesn’t have the spare cash for that to be a serious option. The Empire’s tax structure would still be very familiar to Theodoros IV and Andreas I while warfare has become more expensive and the Romans now have an uber-Persia with which to deal.

So what you're saying is if someone was foolish enough to kidnap a Prince, or some other significant political figure? I'd love to see an early Julius Caesar situation in the Spice Islands. That'd be comical.

Is Tax Reform on the agenda, and in what way?

I don't think that they Romanoi had any problem with them calling themselves an Empire, as long as they hadn't pronounced themselves some kind of Roman Empire.

Interesting to see how the Triunes were hurt, perhaps with this they will begin to focus on the Americans over Asia in their colonial policy?

So, TTL Spain will probably be Portuguese-Castilian-Andalusian mix. I wonder what will happen with Aragon. Squeezed between Spain, Triunes and Romans they can only stay still and hope they survive.

What would be the population of this (still theoretical) Spain? I know it's still much less than Triunes but Al-Andalus could be a major boost to the power of Spain. And since it's one of the last Avignon nations an Imperial crown should not be surprising. Roman Pope has an Imperial benefactor, Patriarch has another one, I guess Avignonese Popes will want one for themselves.

Also, great to see colonial / naval action in the East. It is by far my favourite part of the timeline right now. Go Leo, kick some Spanish and Triune ass.

P.S. I am still rooting for a Roman settler colony in New Zealand / Sidney area.

1- How are Greek dialects now? I mean, the Greek talked in Thessaloniki will be different from the one in Eastern Anatolia and to the one talked in Anthiochia. How are them?
2-How is Mexican language? With more Native influx and no relation with Spain it should be completely different from OTL, right?