An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

She's a Viper. This Osman is dangerous as hell.
Create inheritance issues for Romans, remove chance of invasion during Ottoman civil war.

Last edited:
Osman is ambitious, but given that Ibrahim is already well entrenched with a rich province and a powerful army (plus god knows how many other brothers and claimants) any path to the throne will be tough and bloody. But given that Iskander's years of warfare and catching up to him Osman may not have much time to build up his own power base, has he been assigned anything?

She's not an assasin, she's the woman Taj Mahal was built for.

Holy moley mother of mercy.

That is a nice touch.

Why do I have the feeling that a Roman Southern India is a poisoned chalice? Don't get me wrong, its going to lead to fantastic jewelry, but... I thought the Deccan was completely united atm ITTL?

Although, having a Roman-Persian Alliance, even for a generation, combined with the conquest of S.India - that is the sort of deal that great plans are made from. Terrifying, world shaping plans.

She's not an assasin, she's the woman Taj Mahal was built for.

Doesn't Andreas already have a wife? One that won't look too kindly on such a prominent mistress? One that is just as capable and intelligent as he is? One who is daughter to the German Kaiser? If this woman has a monument building inducing effect on the soon to be Roman Emperor this won't end well.

Doesn't Andreas already have a wife? One that won't look too kindly on such a prominent mistress? One that is just as capable and intelligent as he is? One who is daughter to the German Kaiser? If this woman has a monument building inducing effect on the soon to be Roman Emperor this won't end well.

Well, she was not just described as the most beautiful woman born to the world for ten generations, with a gentle and compassionate demeanor that made everyone she met fall in love with her, she was also very learned and intelligent. She traveled with her husband everywhere he went, including on campaign. Shah Jahan gave her his imperial seal, allowing her to sign things in his name, and reportedly she proceeded to help manage his empire for him whenever he was busy.

... Not exactly a pushover, so yep.

As to the plans for the partition of India, we'll have to see how the soon-to-be Persian emperor manages his own house first.

Well, she was not just described as the most beautiful woman born to the world for ten generations, with a gentle and compassionate demeanor that made everyone she met fall in love with her, she was also very learned and intelligent. She traveled with her husband everywhere he went, including on campaign. Shah Jahan gave her his imperial seal, allowing her to sign things in his name, and reportedly she proceeded to manage his empire for him whenever he was busy.

As to the plans for the partition of India, we'll have to see how the soon-to-be Persian emperor manages his own house first.

I'm calling the child of such a woman the future Despotes of India. Half-Roman, Half-Indian, and reunites India after his father dies. It'd be both a beautiful way to exile the Emperors Mistress, but also keep her important, and have her be regent to the rise of a Roman India. Excuse me, the idea has left me a bit faint.

Pretty sure the idea of dividing India wont end that well. Its more like 2 teenagers daydream than and actual plan.

But of course it wont be the first time a dream becomes reality.

Well, she was not just described as the most beautiful woman born to the world for ten generations, with a gentle and compassionate demeanor that made everyone she met fall in love with her, she was also very learned and intelligent. She traveled with her husband everywhere he went, including on campaign. Shah Jahan gave her his imperial seal, allowing her to sign things in his name, and reportedly she proceeded to help manage his empire for him whenever he was busy.

First he has to become emperor. A civil war in Persia will be all too convenient. If Osman wins with Byzantine help he's indebted to Constantinople. If he losses and escapes to Constantinople he can be used to pottentialy threaten the shah any time he gets ideas of marching west. Either way the Ottomans get weakened by the civil war. And as for India the empire cannot let the Ottomans gobble it up. Too dangerous in the long run. A Byzantine South India is a possible way to solve this...

The arrival of Janissary reinforcements force the Romans to withdraw without Andreas, although four hundred Chaldean prisoners are rescued.
His court includes both Ibrahim and Osman and their retinues, plus his “honored guests” the Kaisar Andreas and Odysseus Sideros.
Wait so did Leo get rescued? Or is just not important enough to bring to court?

Until they are compared to those of the victors. From the Ottoman ranks only twenty five hundred were taken prisoner, but eighty five hundred are killed and twenty four thousand wounded. Over one quarter of the Ottoman host even after adding the latecomers is a casualty.
Nearly identical in size before the battle, the losses on both sides are also almost identical, both losing about sixteen thousand wounded and three thousand killed.
The Ottomans took over 54,000 casualties, and Iskander has been at war for pretty much his entire life. Combined with the constant ravaging of Mesopotamia by the Romans surely the Ottoman manpower pool is starting to strain.

Pretty much what HanEmpire said. He expanded the empire from what's now the northern border of Iran to include Samarkand, plus Afghanistan, Pakistan, and northern India up to and including Delhi, plus vassalizing the Hedjaz.

A quick glance on Google Maps makes it look like Iskander almost doubled the size of his empire if the Ottomans were roughly present day Iraq + Iran, that's a lot mountainous terrain and subjects with suspect loyalty to control (the distance from Mosul to Delhi is even further than Lisbon to Vienna!). Surely it's a logistical nightmare for the Ottomans to move troops from one end of the empire to the other.

Also, just out of curiosity why was Gabras chosen to lead the campaign instead of the megas domestikos? He was commanding the Hungarian campaign and I would assume fighting the Shah is much more important.

A quick glance on Google Maps makes it look like Iskander almost doubled the size of his empire if the Ottomans were roughly present day Iraq + Iran, that's a lot mountainous terrain and subjects with suspect loyalty to control (the distance from Mosul to Delhi is even further than Lisbon to Vienna!). Surely it's a logistical nightmare for the Ottomans to move troops from one end of the empire to the other.
Iskander attacked people who were in civil war or some form of disarray, that probably helped.

oh boy, that is not going to end well i think. though i guess it would depend on wether andreas is stupid enough to bring both mistresses to the palace and how angry his wife turns out to be... i'm kind of seeing a lot of headslaps going around in his future.

anyway, another great chapter @Basileus444, can't wait to see what shape the "peace" negotiations are foing to take.

I hope Osman is not the treacherous type. That girl, as repeatedly stated already in the comments, may well be an assassin. i hope it is just for the "fun", not any Realpolitick.

Considering their greatest enemy is each other rulers that manage to drop their enmity, even if temporarily, can manage to accomplish a lot.

I agree with it being treacherous, but as was raised, it is realpolitik. However I am also of the mind that Andreas is a McGuffin, as in he really is not that important, but is a mover in simply being. If I were Osman, she would be an assassin, but with orders to kill if war arises between Rome and the Ottomans, or if Andreas doesn't support me in the civil war. I am Osman and I am ambitious. Call it a warranty on the friendship, call it being a sneaky underhanded rogue. The game of empires is one where only one can win. Don't be idealistic, tell me about the list of Doges of Genoa, after Andreas I died.

Last edited: