An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

The problem isn't really that. The Venetian lagoon looks like this:
So there a ton of islands, of which only one is Venice (the big island inside the lagoon). Which of the other islands are Roman?

You need the Lido di Venezia for security purposes if nothing else. Obviously at most points in the Republic's history all of the islands *in* the Lagoon were Venetian territory. Barring B444 saying anything differently, which iirc they haven't, I'd say they're all Roman now.

It's an interesting overlook because when B444 wrote the portion dealing with the invasion of Venice I assume they meant Venezia proper, but by that time Murano, Burano, & Chioggia all were well-populated by people who thought of themselves as Venetians. Again, I'd assume, absent author saying otherwise, that the population of these other islands were treated much the same as the inhabitants of Venezia proper, albeit perhaps w/out the wholesale slaughter of the initial landing.

Question about Syrian Muslims: Give or take how many were sold into slavery in 1633-1634 and how many are left in post-truce Roman territory?

I’d say about 20% enslaved or killed during the war and another 15% in post-truce Roman territory.

I like the development of this navy-inclined Indian Empire. In time TTL world is going to look very multi-polar. Much more interesting than the America & co. superpower fest in OTL.

While it originally started just as a desire to make southern and eastern Europe more competitive with northern and western Europe, I am enjoying making the world more multipolar. Europe will punch above its weight especially once industrialization gets going, but it won’t be nearly as dominant as it was IOTL in 1850-1950.

What is happening in North Africa? I am incredibly intrigued.

It will be coming up shortly.

“Hey Marinids! You still hate the Spanish right? If we lost some ships near Tangier’s, wouldn’t it be a real shame if you used those to torment the Spanish coast? Wouldn’t that be the worst?”

If anything remotely like this happens the view of the Romans as monsters in the eyes of Latins for the next period of history makes an increasing amount of sense. I mean they murdered a pope, destroyed Southern Germany, and helped heretics kill Christians. Plus whatever they do to the Ottomans.
Maybe they subtlely convince the marinids becsuse the spanish fleet has just been dispatched to the east?
That is a level of political deviousness that I am 100% on board with. I'm now pulling for this scenario.
I just hope the Sicilians don't find out the Romans are scheming with the Maranids. Not much they can do but as the lynchpin of Roman control in italy they need them happy

That would be a textbook example of being too clever by half, because as Frame noticed, Sicily. Because if the corsairs decided that Spain was still too tough a nut to crack, they’d be quite happy, since they’re out and about, to raid the Sicilian coast.

Shouldn't this be "... counterattack against the Spanish..."?

Yes. Fixed. Thank you.

@Basileus444 a small question: what is the current population of Damascus and Jerusalem? Would either or both be more populous than Nicosia?

Well, now is a bad time to be asking about those cities considering their locations. But in 1630 Jerusalem was 20,000 and Damascus 48,000.

Fleet concentrations: The Taprobane fleet is essentially a beefed-up version of the Roman fleet at Mt Agung. It can go toe-to-toe with Pereira even with those 72-gunners of his, unlike the earlier version that needed those out of the way to stand a chance. But the Taprobane fleet still has the issues of being more heterogeneous (more armed merchantmen of varying size and capabilities) and slower than Pereira’s.

If the Roman fleets were able to concentrate, Pereira would be overwhelmingly outmatched. However the issue is that they need to be able to concentrate, and the Spanish hold Malacca and West Java (Sunda). They have the central position between the Roman Katepanates and interior lines. Everything that follows will hinge on that crucial geographical fact.

Exarch Capital: Singapore is the most logical choice, for all the reasons that have been mentioned. That said, the Exarch has an insane amount of power concentrated in his hands, enough to make the Emperor very nervous. Note the conditions of his terms of service. It will automatically expire after 2 years of issue and the Exarch’s family has to stay within Constantinople during his term as insurance.

So I’m really thinking Exarch might be a temporary position only issued during emergencies. Had this system been in place in late 1635, Rhomania could’ve rushed out an Exarch on the 1636 monsoon and gotten him there just before Pereira. It wouldn’t have prevented the battle of Semarang (but then, if an Exarch had already existed in the east, he would’ve been surprised as the rest of the Romans there) but it would’ve meant Mt Agung would’ve been fought with a fleet from all 4 Katepanates, rather than just what Pahang and New Constantinople could get together.

Huh? Why Pekan? I thought the capital of Pahang was in location of OTL singapore. Didn't the old thread state as such that it was on the otl site of singapore?

Pekan is the first bit of Malaya conquered by the Romans (by the Salty Prince himself). The area of OTL Singapore only came under Roman dominion much later and by that point Pekan was well established as the center of Roman administration in the area.

Will odysseus strike all the way to samarkand? I really like the thought of a Roman army marching into central Asia.

No spoilers, but Odysseus will be nothing if not spectacular.

Location Singapore is better.

Pyrgos manpower base is totally dependent on local food source(that includes transportation to in and from farms, ports and inlands). The Spanish in OTL never resolved this until 19th century. The population under Spain was stagnant for more than 200 years since the population of 1500s would be roughly the same or near 1700s.

There is also potential for gold rush(copper and silver as well) in Heraklions especially the Mountain province, Benguet area to prop up population. Although gold was being mined there since ancient times, the Igorot's resistance and lack of interest of the Spanish to fully conquer them and apply heavy mining in the islands in otl, there wasn't really any large scale mining until the 20th century. Just to give an idea on how large the potential could be, in OTL 20th century the islands produced more gold than California, but less than Alaska.

The advantage of the Romans over the Spanish would be infrastructure building(building roads to the mountains). And abundance of soldiers comfortable with 1000-3000m of mountain elevation.

However, it would be upto b444 since the Romans can totally ignore the gold, silver, copper at the Igorot lands just like the Spanish. But the mines are there, and the Igorots will trade or have been trading gold, silver and copper at the lowlands(in this case already controlled by the Romans who might have a curiosity for gold and silver).
When has anyone ever passed up gold and silver mines when they realize they’re ripe for the the taking? Some Ship Lord or another will realize that Controlling that land is well worth the cost. They might fail but I feel like since Rhomania in the East is so trade driven someone will eventually grab it.
Ah yes totally forgot that here in my home that apparently during our marcos regime they said that we have mountains of gold that can easily
be found even in river flowing. It still is true as far I can see and remember, there has been plenty of documents stating as such.
Spain was already getting a lot of gold and silver from her Latin American possessions. Not the case here.
I believe that's because most of our indeginous tribes are not really on good terms with the spanish authorities. Persecutions, land grab and other things make it hard to completely map the locations of the specific gold deposits. That said during our marcos regime, where the economy was at its highest (the economy was nearly on par or on par with the value of dollar). They said the government authorities found a literal gold mine so much so that they had silenced entire people who know about it(executions and deportations). When the Peoples revolution came it was stated they took a majority of the wealth and/or closed or destroy the mines to make it impossible to get to.

Shame that Rome cant land on america but I guess they can launch an expedition to find those gold mines.
In a cost to benefit analysis the Greeks will have way more incentive than OTL Spain to control the gold mines, Whether that is by hopefully accommodating the locals or enough military expeditions and military settlers to completely control the area...
They already control the area, besides the orthodox missionary on the far east in this ttl is more mindful and respectful. As long as the roman authorities and the church respect the people living there, romanization is very doable. Considering alot of christian values are in line with our own old religion, the locals will be happy to accept Roman systemance of governance. After all the spanish conquest of the OTL Philippines was made easier by the similarities of religion and it's relative acceptance of assimilation.

Given time you'll see the Heraklion islands be a place of massive influx of manpower. And thats just the islands what more if you add the other katephano?

Oh, the Romans would be very much interested in those gold mines. As for how they treat the natives, that depends. The Romans prefer the carrot, drawing native rulers into client relationships and converting them to Christianity and Roman ways. But they will use the stick if they deem necessary. There are Japanese military colonies to keep down troublesome areas and the former owners of the land for those colonies aren’t alive enough to object.

Ideally, I want the Romans to be welcoming and open once people are within the Roman Imperial structure, but I’m not going to pretend the conquest phase doesn’t contain atrocities and general nastiness. The Banda Islands are Roman ITTL, and the native Bandanese were virtually wiped out in the process (this matches the OTL Dutch).

Hey, rereading the timeline and getting back to red herring Andreas III's reign, what happened to Romano Xiphilinos after Demetrios Sideros became emperor in the long term and what (presuming he's still alive) does he think about the fact his major political rival Demetrios became the emperor? @Basileus444

There was a line at the end of the Night of the Tocsins where he has an involuntary early retirement. He’s not happy about it, but he’s savvy enough to know to keep his mouth shut and enjoy a peaceful obscurity.

So I found this gem a couple of days ago, read it all. I really love what you have done and I'm looking forward to more

Thank you.

The Roman empire is truly gonna become a beast once railroads and the suez canal is done. The insane amount of manpower and wealth coming in is going to make them a juggernaut unlike anything else

Railroads boost everybody. With Rhomania able to use maritime traffic to such a huge extent (vast majority of the population lives within a few days’ travel of the coast), railroads likely won’t boost it as much as they will less-maritime areas like Germany and Russia.

Naming system: Frankly, I don’t have a consistent naming system. Sometimes I use the Byzantine and/or classical names, particularly if I know them already (the case for Anatolia) or are easy to find. But oftentimes I don’t for a couple of reasons. One is that the OTL place name is really recognizable so for purposes of clarity it’s much easier to stick with that. Another is that sometimes the alternative names I dislike on aesthetic grounds. Vidin is a much better name than Bononia, in my aesthetic opinion. That’s the Doylist example.

Now for the Watsonian. The Romans didn’t have a consistent renaming system either. In Anatolia there was a consistent drive to replace all the Turkish names with the earlier Greek ones, helped by the fact that there were frequently being Greek populations still in place. In other areas it was much patchier. Places like Skopje/Skoupoi and Sofia/Serdica probably had Greek transplants settled there relatively early after Roman control was established and so the Greek name was used. But places like Vidin and Varna remained dominantly Bulgarian-speaking in their early Roman years, and Aleppo and Acre were dominantly Arabic-speaking in theirs. So in those cases the local name was the one used for the sake of clarity and convenience. Now the populations have changed, but the old name has been in use for well past living memory, and bureaucratic inertia is in play. They could change the name, but that means changing all of the stationery, and nobody can be bothered to do that.

If the Roman fleets were able to concentrate, Pereira would be overwhelmingly outmatched. However the issue is that they need to be able to concentrate, and the Spanish hold Malacca and West Java (Sunda). They have the central position between the Roman Katepanates and interior lines. Everything that follows will hinge on that crucial geographical fact.
Does this mean Sunda is basically a spanish vassal?

With B444's permission, A Fantastic Voyage
* * *​

“The time crept up on me faster than I realized. To be frank, after Zoe proclaimed her leadership in the adventure, I had almost forgotten about it. Well, the time of our departure; you never forget when you get invited to the White Palace. Writing this, I still have to shake my head ruefully to being so oblivious, and not recognize the man. It isn’t like we have his portrait hanging up everywhere, or coin pressings give enough detail. After almost a year of steady correspondence, eventually Archon started to simply have his letters redirected to my home. ‘Paperwork I don’t need or have to deal with, so I won’t’. This last letter though, the fact it went through him first, had sent me to the hut more, I would imagine to distract myself as much to rend my stress on that which is the seed of it… and my big stupid mouth. Jazerah is still suffering and all signs point to a slow and painful death, which is frustrating me to no end. I have kept her alive this long and even brought her to fruit a bit… if the puny shriveled ruby fleshed mockeries, can be called fruit, but I am at my wits end. I can only imagine that He wants an update, and time frame to deliver.

This feels ominous though, as I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t have just asked directly in his last letter. I am not sure what to tell him his silver has gotten us, as keeping the plant alive this long, and this north is a feat in and of itself. To get fruit? Incredible. Patrons don’t think like that though and He is The patron of all patrons. He is going to want results he can profit from, and slowly killing a plant is not one that fits his plan, I would assume. He could be a sadist, people of his status have been, I doubt it though. However bragging about my work was probably the dumbest thing I could have done. Grandfather was right, the man has a track record that an imbecile would only ignore, so the only thing I can do is do what he taught me so early on. Honesty is the best foot forward when it comes to your superiors, regardless of what comes. I can’t hide the results. I imagine I could get a job with my brother and sister, Father would be pleased.

Speaking of honesty, I hope however this goes, the journey is amicable with my companion. I find her taking more of my thoughts, she is the African daisy to my jade. My heart prays I am the only one courting her favour, may this trip give me a chance to let her see I am more than just a gardener. Grand gestures always feel hollow to me, because they rely on spectacle. Ha, so I am taking my muse to meet Emperor Demetrios III. Subtle move old boy. I feel at times I am out of my depths, she is from the truly rarer air. Her father is polite enough, and looks me in the eye when we speak, even was amenable to my proposition to marriage. He said he would write to my father, and discuss the details. I could not in good conscience accept a dowry, what would I do with it besides just give it to her. This trip however was a feather in my cap. Her mother? Not so. She seems to relish in making my family's name sound more foreign every meeting, and will only painfully recognize my Grandfather's past as the only good use the Empire has for barbarians. I could only imagine the look on her face when Zoe told them I’ve been invited to the palace, to meet with Him and she was my guide. Her Uncle and aunts seem to enjoy my company, but when it comes to the monied nobility, one must always hold their cards tight. Especially when he is headed to the city.

I just had to stand up though, and have my work recognized didn’t I? May the holy father watch over me, and the blessed mother preserve me, I pray to not nourish your earth with my bones this early, as I already have so much bone meal to use instead, and would prefer my children, if I ever have any, to spread me after they run out of the latter.”

The smell was the first sign of the City they noticed on their approach, the wind wafting the urban perfume over them. The combination of incense, spices, wood smoke, horse apples, and seaside, was unmistakable, reminding him of his youth. Running around the docks of Nikomedia, as his father haggled with a ship owner. Plenty of cities shared the combination and each even having their own signature, but not this strong and as noticeable from as far as this. Coming over the last rise between the Heraklean, and Theodosian walls, his ‘guide’ had insisted they dock in Hebdomon yesterday afternoon, she was adamant one can't enter the city their first time from the docks, you had to experience it from old The Golden Gate and on. She was right, making their way through the Heraklean walls was impressive, a testament to the forethought of Herakles II, but as they now approached the storied portal, not realizing he had gawked as they rode up to it. The Elephants seemed ready to stampede down upon them from the clouds, the visual helped by the structure having a feeling of ethereal lightness, as the sun lit up the marble casing. Zoe smiled at his gape, it always puzzled her how someone so knowledgeable, and cosmopolitan, could be as much a peasant at heart and have never set foot in the capital. His wonder made him look like a young boy, excitement filling his eyes, with an innocence she rarely saw in him.

A subtle giggle, “You’re safe Charal, they haven’t moved since The Spider Prince.”
Shaking his head slightly, and composing himself, “I’ve always been fascinated by the beasts, my father took me once to Theodosius’ Park in Antioch as a boy, we were there on business and one of his associates had extra passes. I was 8 at the time and terrified when I first saw them. I couldn’t fathom that scale of God’s creation, not without it having a destructive or dangerous purpose. But then when I got to meet one, pet, feed it and ride it even; The gentleness it showed and how carefully it let me up on its back as a passenger…” he shrugged, "It's true what they say about them, they never forget, I made sure to visit that elephant everytime I was in the city, and she remembered me every time. It has been a while since I was last there, the month before I started my university years, she was still there and happy to see me." Shifting slightly in his saddle, glancing at her quickly, a shadow of a smirk, "if what I've read of the religion of the India's, and they end up right, I can only hope to come back as such a noble creature.” Quickly turning and slapping his shoulder playfully, Zoe accentuated with a gasp aimed at her riding companion, “Blasphemer” she uttered with melodramatic scorn. In the distance a bell rang a double five tone chime, taking their attention.

Straightening up and repositioning himself in his saddle with a wider grin, they passed through the gate. Zoe let him pull ahead a bit, and took the time to consider her "charge", as Pronotes Gabaras had called him when they had bid him farewell. This wasn't the first time she had found herself measuring him, not plus and minuses, but weight of character. That was the first of any religious comments she had heard him say beyond the uttered curse, when struggling with a stubborn bramble. Those were in Gaelic, he would excuse, they didn't count. He also had a verbose library, which he shared with almost anyone in the park, though his private collection was one less open, she always was surprised when she could comb through. She had found a Greek/Chinese copy of Confucius, as well she suspected a Koran, by the detailing of the Arabic script and layout of pages. She wouldn't be surprised if she found one or two Eastern texts explaining their faiths and gods. She never saw him at church before either, beyond the major holidays.

He also never mentioned he had been to Antioch, a city that always sat uncomfortably with her. Twice she visited, and twice she got lost without her chaperone, both times finding her in almost compromising situations. He had been there young, and multiple times too, where he seemed comfortable with the place. 'Just from Nikomedia' whenever anyone asked where he was from, and she had seen his homes; a cramped apartment his father, brother and sister had over their office, two blocks to the docks, two blocks to the forum. But mostly a modest, plain looking villa, on a well tended working estate outside the city. The land was part of his grandmother's dowry, the structure was built by his grandfather, with the idea that the less he spends on making it pretty, the more he can spend to make it sturdier; they would simply fill inside as their family grew. And grow they did; the inside was much more alive and rich in character, a marked contrast to the stark exterior. A repeated compliment his father never ceased to enjoy, at his many feast day celebrations. Let it not be said his father did not know his Saints and which liked a glass raised in their name. What better network tool than when you host where people network? It also got him invited to more exclusive occasions in return; business begetting business. Charal was more like his grandfather in looks as demeanor, though his grandfather while taller, it was his eyes, they carried a terrifying electricity. Always watching, pondering, and loathe to voice his thoughts, she couldn't tell when she first met him, if he was incontinent, or senile until he spoke at dinner. Locking her with his intense gaze, he asked her ever politely for the salt. Charal only showed his father's gregariousness when engaged in a meaningful conversation, work for example, but having never the patience for small talk, remaining an owl among a crowd. Yet here he was, taking her to meet the Emperor, on a personal note to top it off. Giving her head a slight shake, she spurred her mount on to catch up with her "charge" as she noticed him glance slightly over his shoulder for her.

The western terminus of the Messe lay before them a paved carpet, at its end he could just make out The Church. The duo trotted leisurely past the small wheat, corn, and barley fields, accented by personal vegetable gardens, dotting near the clustering of houses, rising with the fifth hill. Riding along the southern Messe, great swathes of colourful pageantry festooned the boulevard, music coming from every direction greeted them even at this distance. Revelry and merrymaking took to the people as a release, and salve to the collective soul of the city of man's desires. The anger, murderous resolve, and subtle fear had been tossed aside years ago, emotions piled on by the War, but finally after His good guiding hand, and the heroism of His children, Romans were free to celebrate being Roman, and have been finding reasons and ways to since the peace, day and night. The recent access to the nocturne energy was fueled by a series of oil lanterns suspended above the main thoroughfares and forums by order of Lady Athena, after an unpleasant encounter created by a late running tour of orphanages. Along with the law-enforcement reform of her father, this gave way to a sense of security to venture out at night, and an opportunity for more business for those who were open to service the bold night owls. The avenue snaked up to Exokionion where jugglers, mummers, and acrobats from the Indias and the Chinas gathered onlookers and their coin, with their contortions and seemingly weightless tumbles. Making their way down to the Forum of the Ox, similar scenes repeated, only a band of Japanese drummers were set up here. Their big drums having a trance-like effect on the plazas occupants, Charal and Zoe lingered a short while enjoying the show. Along their path they passed more and more entertainers, sometimes fire eaters, other times sword swallowers, and illusionists with more and more people filling the spaces. Rose petals everywhere told them they had missed the morning parade of the best racers, both local and those who had traveled for the competitions, from circuits across the Empire.

The road rose and ran along the ridge to the second hill, most of the buildings up to this point in its course were no larger than 4 or 6 stories, but as the eye followed it, the city arose around them like the seven hills. Grand and tall apartments crept up taller than he would imagine sensible. Who would want to climb 12 stories? As many of the Empires cities he has visited, this was another beast entirely; banners, flowers and flags buttressed the avenues and arcades, the crowds gave the whole city a look of a bustling ants nest. Heading their way down the street taking in the sights the largest city in Europe had to offer, passing through the four great forums, each busier than the last, crowded with people, the complexions as varied as the colours, washing the city into a rainbow. Each forum was surrounded by more extravagant decorations and buildings further down their route, and populated with more extravagant occupants. Dancers, musicians, and street food vendors covered any corner or long enough wall to act as their backdrop, each adding their distinctness to the aromas and general symphony. Eventually though they ended up at the great square of the milion, he had maintained a mask of indifference on the ride, nodding politely to elders that made eye contact, and wink to any children who had done the same. He was struck stunned, his mount feeling his distraction, slowed as they entered the plaza, near to the cadence of the twelfth hour bell that was standing at the literal heart of their living world. The Demetrian Milion, often shortened to just ‘The Milion’. A large four sided pedestal, friezes of the seasons skirting said base, rooted a grand quaded column rising 20m, lifting above a four-sided celestial designed clock face, separate dials delineating the day and month along with the transition of the moon, all topped with a copper roof cupola, housing four grand bells. A declaration of Chronokratos, and Roman capabilities of mechanical engineering, it was a gift from Demetrios III on the first anniversary of the peace. A rumour uttered by the bureaucrats, is it was secretly set 5 minutes early, because the Emperor was tired of the civil servants showing up late. Coming around the Milion, their view was framed by the imposing background of the square that was the monument, Hagia Sophia, drawing Charal’s eyes and taking over all his thoughts. It was the time of day where the sun was splashing against it, and he could make out the stained glass installed by Demetrios II in all the windows, it all didn’t seem real to him. The beauty of its lines, the grandness in its dominance of the landscape, he spied it from the entrance of the city, having misjudged just how impressive it was. He had read “The Buildings”, and “The Secret Histories”, finally, now he understood Justinian's fanatical devotion to his dreams. The Latins could build their own cathedrals, and respectable they were, having seen Aix Cathedral with his father as a boy, along with numerous Italian splendiferous houses of worship. There was a timeless permanence emanating from it; the sun and moon danced, waves rocked, the Hagia Sophia existed as it always did, in the people’s minds.

Turning left, they rode towards the old acropolis and their final destination. He was glad he had insisted on leaving early, it was over a week before leaving Nicomedia before they arrived at the White Palace, so they had some time before his audience, and he had already made a mental list of places to explore further, the great cathedral was now at the top of it. Approaching the Eagles Gate of the palace, named so by the great bronze double-headed eagle, arrogantly perched above, making a challenge to all the world in its majesty. Two lions lay prone in its claws, one winged, the other with Egyptian styling along the body, representing Venice and the Mamluks respectively, installed by Helen I on the anniversary of Andreas I Niketas birth. Charal had his wits gathered about him shortly after passing the grand church, so that when one of the guards had shifted his stance to them, he had a bearing of official business. Thanking Zoe in his head, for taking him to a tailor in Chalcedon before they left so he wouldn’t look like ‘a rube who played in the dirt all day’, the guard gave them a look of importance while he politely held his hand up in front of him.
“Halt sir, please state your business”
Charal nodded, and mustered his best Nicean accent, “Of course droungarios” while reaching into his patterned cotton coat, he revealed, and handed the guard his letter of passage from the Emperor. The officer scanned it quickly, nodded and turned to press a button on the wall behind him. The first bars of the imperial march chimed softy from what seemed like the wall, and a moment later, the three story, ornately carved, reinforced doors opened smoothly outwards, only the faintest squeak from the hinges betraying their weight.

Three attendants emerged, one taking their reins each, asking them to dismount; only the Emperor himself may ride through those doors. Taking their horses to the imperial stables, followed by the other three, they left them with the remaining man, he received the letter from the guard and with a single glance, reading it faster than Charal thought was possible, “This way please Kyrios Caldonridis” stretching his arm out to his side, “The Emperor is occupied until after dinner today, your things will be taken to your apartment for you and unpacked. I will be your guide here, my name is Daniel, please do not hesitate to ask me for anything.” He handed Charal back the note, “I will also make sure you are properly versed in the etiquette of the court when in public events, so as not to embarrass his grace or yourself. I have been informed that you might be unfamiliar with the nuances of the palace.” Turning to Zoe with a slight bow, “milady…” “Tyrinos” Charal informed him, Daniels' face making a barely perceptible twitch. Returning with a curtsy, she smothered a smile, enjoying the reaction to her family name. Unlike her uncle, her father dealt almost entirely in textile trading, having bought shares in several ships in the Indian trade and was very conservative in his business growth. It was he though, who had helped leverage his fallen brothers' slow return to success, anonymously.

Entering the Palace, they start to make their way through the colonnaded corridors and frescoes that eventually open to a glass domed, tropical garden. Occupied by a table with a small bell on top, and two chairs beside, Charals stomach rumbled when he first came upon the scene, having not eaten since they left Hebdomon that morning. Daniels' grin was faint, motioning them to the chairs, “lunch is available if you are hungry from your travels.” The polite suggestion given, Charal nodded with an earnest smile pulling out Zoe’s seat for her, “Please Daniel, if it is being offered” and then moving to take his own. Their attendant picked up the bell and rang it delicately, creating a soft tingling. Three servants appeared shortly after, one carrying a platter of monems, smoked fish, cheeses, breads and salads with fruit. The other two each carried trays with decanters and goblets, one glass holding a rich red Malmsey, the other silver, filled with water, placing the drinks upon the table. The respective servers filled the goblets and left the two travelers and their guide. Watering their wine to their preferred taste, conversation was polite and topical while the two ate, Zoe finding out she knew a cousin of Daniels in Smyrna, a retired Navy captain turned ship owner. The Sidorian Column chimed its quarter to the hour tune, Daniel pardoning himself with the promise to return, exiting down a corridor opposite where they entered the courtyard.

Zoe took in the scenery and was completely awed, as comprehension sent the blood from her face. She knew wealth, but this was a level only read about. Multi hued marble, granite, and limestone was carved every which way to give the perception of the greenery continuing beyond the walls into an infinite jungle of the sub-continent. Jewel-eyed animals hid among the trees and bushes of the reliefs, tigers wore emerald, panthers sapphires, birds and reptiles both having amethysts, polished onyx adorned the bears and elephants; all set to be noticeable in the right light. The table and chairs they sat upon, elegant teak, the legs and back carved into serpents rising behind to support the occupant. It hit her then where this ‘adventure’ had landed them, she was keen to lead him to the city, she loved it here, but she did not expect to be with him when he met with The Emperor. Looking up she saw Charal poking and looking disappointed by the flower beds beside them. She let a nervous laugh out and gave her head a small shake, here he was in luxuries lap about to see the most powerful man in the world, and all he could do was get his hands covered in dirt. Hearing her laugh, he slowly looked up at her with realization and awkward amusement. Bashfully, “What? It’s a nice garden, granted. I think that’s a cestrum nocturnum, and some nymphaea stellata in the ponds I want to say. There’s a lot here I’ve not seen, or used, but that is Syzygium Malaccense, I know, and its soil is too sweet, look at the poor foliage on it, and they are watering it too much…” turning back to the bed in thought, “and yet it’s warm enough, but the fruit is small for its maturity. With how much water it is getting, you’d think they would be more full and plump...” Squeezing a berry lightly, crossing his arms, he taps his chin leaving a dirt smudge, eyes locked in thought.

“Charal, Stop It!” A snap came from Zoe. He looked back to her uncharacteristic shortness, noticing her blanched face, “Unlike you, I’ve never met the Emperor, let alone be in his presence. I get it, your mind is always spinning, and I love that about you it’s one of your sexiest qualities, but right now I’m so nervous beyond belief I could vomit. I need you here.” An uneasy smile took over her usual carefree demeanor, eyebrows creasing. She reached out on the table, Charal returning to the here and now seeing her discomfort, straightened and cleaning his hands with a lemon and napkin, smiled at her. Taking her hand, his eyes softened, a wave of gentleness took over his features, “He is a really easy man to be around Zoe, I promise.” Voice feather soft, “He understands people very well, and would never want to intimidate a guest” resting his other hand on her knee, leaning in, “it is going to be a small number of people in the room, it is just past lunch so he has appointments after us I would imagine.” a small squeeze and a reassuring grin, “too many people in the room would slow everything up, and more important things would have to wait.” Her smile broke into a more humorous one, “Business is business my dove, and our Emperor only needs to humble barbarians like the Latins”
Zoe felt her tension let go slightly, ‘If he’s this relaxed what Do I have to worry about?’ squeezing his hand back, “Charal had I known when I decided to help out my uncle and buy some plants, I would end up meeting Demetrios the Third..." She let go of his hand, and grabbed his used napkin, folding it around her finger, and wiped the dirt from his chin. Her other hand raised to steady his face, his own coming to caress it.
He smiled in spite of himself, “You were the one who got lost in the woods” She gave a more relaxed laugh, admiring her work, “You were the one making all the racket, how could I not save what I thought was a wounded animal?”
Charal drew back a bit breaking the intimacy with a dramatic gasp, “I was singing for the plants sake, not yours” a tongue darted, “it’s good for them, besides I can’t just talk to them all day, I look crazy enough as it is.”
Zoe patted his hand and sat upright, a teacher correcting her student, “Eccentric sweetheart, you are eccentric now. Crazy people don’t meet the Emperor.”
Smiling eyes rolled, but his retort was cut short; footsteps are heard echoing. Daniel emerges from the corridor he disappeared from, with a plain clothed guard on his seven. “Kyrios Caldonridis, Leipo Tyrinos, the Emperor will see you now.”

* * *​
A heavy oak door, detailed with wrought iron reinforcements and hinges greeted their small party. A tall well built man armed with both sword and pike, standing as sentinel, surveyed the newest visitors. Having journeyed, what to Charal was a rabbit warren of tapestries, stairs, and pillars, they stood in a small alcove; the light from the gallery 10 meters further down the corridor, spilled over the area, reflected off mirrors around the space, adding to the other galleries of the palace, giving credence to its name. Their escort returned to his post opposite the door and diagonal to his compatriot at the portal's handle, who was now opening the door half-way for Daniel, Charal, and Zoe.

A small cast iron closed fireplace, anchored a seating area, surrounded by rich drapes hung from the ceiling giving the atmosphere of being in a tent, greeted them on their right as they entered. The furniture was made up of plush couches, fine polished tables, set over heavily plied rugs. Ahead of the party, a short wide hall of cabinets ended in a bright high ceiling room. A large codex lay open, paper, inkwells of different colours, parchment, books, and several scrolls made a nest for the great book. It all cluttered the top of a grand but utilitarian desk of tiger stripe grain wood, situated opposite of the entrance. A simple but well cushioned, red, high backed chair sat behind, the many tall windows setting the background, framing the sky. To their far left a large door was the only decoration on the wall, faint murmurs could be heard beyond, but nothing more than being barely audible. Daniel led them towards the space only vearing to his right, past two desks bracing the portal, almost equal in their size and paperwork but organized, across from the larger one. Both occupied by two men who seemed in a trance with their tasks, their gentle scribbling filled the space, a random double thud of a stamp breaking the general white noise.

Coming upon a man in the dress of being at the office, he was hunched over an intricate globe, in front of the furthest window. He was sliding lenses along a rail built into the globes frame, when their approach brought him upright turning around, the trio stopping in their tracks. Zoe was on her game and immediately curtsied deeply, while Charal was taken aback. He gave himself a slight nod and bowed as low. While he did maintain letters with the man, he had only met him once at the start of the Latin War. A man who was younger than his father now looked as old as his grandfather. Daniel stepped forward, “His Grace Dem-” The old man waved his hand stepping forward, “enough Daniel, you are for the courtiers, besides we have already been introduced.” His voice added more shock to Charal, the rasp along with the weariness evident in his body, betraying the fierce intelligence still burning behind the man's aged eyes.

The courtier being a long serving veteran of the dynasty shrugged, slightly sighing with a smile, waved towards the approaching Demetrios who was holding out his aged and veined hand, grinning, “Charal it’s been some time.” Charal stood again, taking the offered hand firmly and nodded deeply. “Your Grace, it is an honour, thank you for the invitation”. The Emperor smirking, “I don’t remember you being this officious. You can look up man, it seems like you’ve done well for yourself” giving Charals shoulder a slight brush with his other hand. “It’s good to finally return your hospitality, I can’t abide being in a friend's debt for as long as I have.” Patting Charal’s hand, he released, then turned to Zoe. He lifted her hand giving it a peck, followed by an incorrigible smile as a wolfish glint took over the old man's face, “and who is your lovely companion that brightens my humble court?” A blush crossed Zoe’s cheeks as she bowed slightly, “I imagine you were the one who dressed him too.” A wink, “clever lad found himself a smarter woman.” A pause. “Be careful though; you might find yourself promoted higher than you would like.” Some more light, and life, twinkled in the Emperor’s eyes, until suddenly a series of wracking coughs shuddered the Basileus’ whole body.

Daniel waited until the Emperor’s coughs had passed and then cleared his throat, “Lady Zoe Tyrinos of Smyrna”.

“Ah, Philippicus’s daughter.” It was Zoe’s turn to be taken aback, Demetrios shaking her hand as he continued “An industrious man, taking the Plethon route of basic textiles to the east, instead of bullion. That seems to be the safest bet these days with the trade east, it is now our largest single export that way. He was also 18th in the empire for pope contributions during the War if I remember correctly. I heard he also has finally bought his way into a shipping company recently. It sounds like he is growing.” She shook back impressed, “He is my lord, and he did, buying into the fifth largest, Malenius and Sons.” Patting her hand, “I imagine it will not be named that for long, it pays being the world's biggest banker, you hear a lot.” Releasing his tender grip on her hand, The Emperor stretched his arm out towards the seating area they had passed when entering, “Shall we enjoy the afternoon then in each other's company,” and started making his way ahead of them.

As they sat, trays of sweets and samrabovas with accompaniments were set, and the party was left to themselves, Daniel standing a respectful distance from the party. Emperor Demtrios poured his companions their kaffos. After their drinks were fixed, the Emperor made his own, adding laudanum to his. He took a drink, visibly relaxing. Sitting back with another satisfied sip, he looked at Chalambos with a friendly, but calculating eye.

"Charal, tell me, what do you know of Rhomania-in-the-east."

A slight tilt of his head, was the only sign the directness of the statement caught him off guard. Zoe quietly mimicked Charal, but towards his direction. Taking a thoughtful sip of his cup, he squared himself and looked at his Emperor. “Lush, the obvious abundance of it’s associated spices, produced mostly by plantations of indigenous design. They don’t grow crops like we do, rice replaces the cereals we use, and eat fish as much as we do, some fowl, and pork. Most information I have is hand translated texts by monks on mission, sailors stories, and fantasy novels, besides the shipping manifests.”

Another sip, his eyes drifting above his Demertrios’ shoulder, thinking back to his father's office. While he reminisced, Demetrios reached between them to a platter holding multi layered honey and pistachio pastries. What seemed like a lifetime ago became sharp again, “Monsoon seasons are the biggest factor” began Charal, “both to trade and growing, a three season year; Many active volcanoes, so the land is fresh and fertile beyond the spice trade.” Setting his cup down, and rubbing his palms on his knees in slow circles. “I’m only familiar with a small collection of foodstuffs, taro, millet and some pulses, the rare exotic flower from there. I have correspondence with the professors of Botany at the University of Antwerp and London about some such plants. The garden we were served in had only some I could confidently recognize, one, the suffering Syzygium Malaccense…” a slight pause drawing before giving himself a shake and returning again, looking back to his sovereign with a resigned face, “Beyond that m'lord, I am afraid I am not much help to any debate you would have me attend. Especially with anyone of serious study”

Demetrios III finished his pastry with a final bite, washing it down with the last of his now tepid kaffos, and returned the cup to its saucer. Brushing his hands lightly, “The treatises, and pamphlets you have written, tell me you are more helpful on the subject than you would give yourself credit.” He sat back crossing a leg with some effort, still focused on Charal. Thumbing his hose, “And that is the point, there is no one of serious studies of Rhomania-in-the-east. Some writings by monks, traders, and sailors tales. Reports from officials, but not collated and systematized. No proper encyclopedia.”

Having to play the role of dutiful daughter in her father's business dealings publicly, Zoe knew from a young age how to read people's real intentions. Phillippicus saw her skills early, and used those to hear what others tried to hide, to recognize what is unsaid. She knew the minute he mentioned the pamphlets. Charal wrote under the pen name Didymous Mystius, his observations of his work at Sweetwaters. The work having been published through the Parks own printing house, with the understanding any sales were garnished heavily by the Park treasury, as payment for the tools and opportunities to make said studies. It was his along with a handful of others from the park, and universities, that had helped start the stability of food production, and growth of variety. Her heart raced as she prepared for him to figure it out himself, and immediately refused it.

Charal leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees with a gentle exhale, to end with a slow smirk, that contrasted suddenly sly eyes, “Are you Sending me East m’Lord?”

Demetrios stopped the tugging of his leggings, studying his subject, “I am asking if you would care to be part of the imperial mission to write the Encyclopedia of Rhomania-In-The-East. ‘Sending you’ would mean you would be a prisoner to my will, and that is no way to get a man to do what he does best. Not in this modern day, we aren’t Latins.”

Now making the finger temple of contemplation, Charal tapped his index fingers together twice and sat back with an air of finality, and calm face. “Then I am your man, My Lord.”

Demetrios smiled wide, “Excellent, I would have hated to have to send you regardless; it would have cost twice the security budget for you, to make sure you didn’t desert.”

* * *​

Zoe was initially surprised, but remembered his private library. ‘Andreas Angelos the Pirate Prince, and Jiraiya the Shapeshifter reborn’ she thought with a lighthearted eye roll. Then a sickening thought struck her, could she, and would she follow him there? She handled the journey so far because she had a hand on the tiller, the trip to The City was one she had done, Charal never, nothing crazy. This was waters of a different colour, with Charal and her making an odd pair of ducks in it. It had been sitting in her stomach the entire two weeks, when they had time to themselves.

Their appearance in the imperial court and the official announcement of the mission was on the following day, along with a meeting of the minds separately that would make up the academic mission. They would meet several more times during their period in Constantinople. She could tell Charal was excited too as he was declared the lead botanist, and was familiar with the team assembled for him, and they were aware of his writings, even if they were not aware it was him that wrote it. Two of the five were from Sweetwaters however and were very familiar with their new boss, and his work, and would inform their compatriots over the coming days exactly who their leader really was. The subsequent meetings helped build a format for how they would respect each specialist’s sphere of study, and go about compiling their information. From what She could gather, there were quite a few ‘personalities’ as Charal described them, that made up the endeavour.

The pair had dined a handful of times with the Emperor and Empress in their apartments. Zoe had to admit, they made a charming couple. The affection for each other was evident, but she could feel some distance. In saying that, the conversation spiced the meals well, along with the environment they enjoyed them in. Speaking of, She was again struck by the opulence, it wasn’t gaudy, it was just everywhere in the details and quality. The shared accommodations for her and Charal made any apartment, or house for that matter, they had spent any time in to shame. From the ivory pillared, red granite mantle over the fireplace in the sitting room with its complimenting furniture, to the delicately carved birds-eye maple, four poster bed, curtained and made in fine linen. What did help with her unease, was taking Charal to her favourite taverna a block up from the Forum of Constantine, and then her winning big at the races by betting on the underdog Reds. Charal was more than comfortable with her setting the tour itinerary, her handy ‘The City’ tourist booklet in hand, Daniel ever dutifully made sure to join them during their quieter times. Charal’s only caveat to their schedule was that they had to go to the Divine Liturgy that Sunday.

That was an eye opening experience from both. He was lost in awe and barely followed the mass, she was astounded by his near open mouthed amazement. After the service was over and they had freedom to explore more of the structure, she realized it was less the religious aspect, and more the marvel. The fact Charal had pointed out columns that had been taken from other structures around the empire, the original parts of the first iteration, and then the rebuild after the earthquake, settled in her head he was agnostic, barely. Something she finally broached along with her capital fear the night before they were to be properly presented at court.

“Charal” her voice soft and satisfied, slowly rolling over to her left side facing him. A sleepy, “Mmhm,” came from him as he lay on his back with lidded eyes, a sheen added a glow to the serenity he was giving off. “Do you believe in God?” There was no fear or scorn in the question, just the pillow talk of a lover. He opened his right eye wider and looked at her, a smirk growing in the corner of his mouth. “The Liturgy really got to you huh?” Her laugh light, “Oh the Patriarch moved me for sure, just maybe not in the direction he imagined.” Her hand reaching under the covers, moving up to his chest resting, his coming to meet it with a deep breath. “It would be careless not to, the majesty of the wild world tells me it couldn’t all just ‘happen’. There are principles shared in some places that have no correlation, to try to argue otherwise. But a father on a throne, and choirs of winged angels? I cannot subscribe.” Gently running a finger tip along Zoe’s outstretched digits. “I believe in Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, and the good they represent, and a greater power, but not how the church paints it.” Now rolling over to face her, “Do you?” Humour gone now, it being a question of gentle earnest.

“I want to, and we are told we wouldn’t still be here if there wasn’t. The Empire itself is evidence of his grace and favor being bestowed upon us, but it all smacks of propaganda when I say it out loud. I like how you said it, ‘the good they represent and a greater power’.” Her hand slowly rubbing his chest in a small circle, “You are a puzzle at times love, so predictable yet full of surprises. This trip cemented many feelings I’ve had about you, but I fear for your journey east, and if I could follow you.” The admission of her fears caused her to look down as water started to gather on her lower lids, while Charals own eyes widened at the full meaning behind her words, lifting her chin up slightly with a knuckle, her gaze though still down cast, “My dove, you wouldn’t be following me, you would be beside me. But that would be a moot point, as your parents would most likely object, your mother for sure. Beyond some very definitive conditions, which I might have broached with your father, before this trip.” Zoe felt his heart quicken through her palm, eyes meeting his, “Charal, I need you to know I am a widow. My first husband was an officer at the first Ruse-” stilling her with his hand cupping her face. Instinctively she closed her eyes and leaned her head into the tender gesture, a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Zoe, I am aware, and I don’t care about that. After asking for and being granted your father's tentative approval, it would fill my heart overflowing if you would be my wife, and I your husband.”

* * *​

The declaration of the members of the mission at court the following day brought much applause and hand shakes; well presented new men at court are always new targets for favours, and many courtiers came to congratulate him at his naming. The first presentation to court was just so they were not complete unknowns, this however declared who was who and what they were being sent to do. Throughout the whole scene Charal was quiet, almost detached from the goings on, but still going through the motions. Zoe was in the same boat but for other reasons. The revelation of the previous night, explaining their slower to rise morning but only to themselves. The conversation in the Emperor’s office replayed in her head while recognizing few of the courtiers shaking his hand, one being Carals former professor of Botany, Thomas Lakoniadis. Genuine praise was from him she noted, with Charal being engaged again. He nearly shook the man’s arm off when they greeted, almost babbling about the acidity of the Ethopian highlands, and the plant he was poking at when they arrived five days ago. Again that unbridled enthusiasm erupted from him yesterday at his request to have lunch again at the same courtyard they had been in, before seeing him when they first arrived in the city.

They were joined that time by the Emperor and Lady Athena, Prince Odysseus being excused as he was east, and the Empress was on a tour of some of her clients. Finishing their meal of a smoked ham, caramelized onions, arugula and blue cheese pizza with a colourful salad, a kaffos service was placed along with cacao delicacies for them. As usual, the Emperor added opium to his.

After the servants left, and Athena had poured their cups, Charal could barely contain himself, mentioning “Jahzara”, and asking about the gardener who planted the garden they presently were in. Zoe was terrified when she saw the Emperor's eyes draw to slits, when Charal mentioned the struggling kaffea plant initially. Unlike her fiance, she’d been in the City the last time Emperor Demetrios III Sideros made an example of certain individuals. The skeletons were still up in the Forum.

Charal was ignorant of the edge he walked, as he blithely reasoned the theoretical relation of the acidity of the soil to the plants. The warm fatherly demeanor she remembered when they first met, ran in a juxtaposition to the cold stare boring into her ‘charge’ from Demetrios III. Her involuntary inhale snapped Charal out of his trance, misunderstanding it then feeling the still quiet, followed her gaze to the Emperor.

“Augustus, I…” Charal started, and felt her hand grab his under the table. “Please pardon my mindless exuberance, but I know why Tyrinos failed. I also know how to fix it, better, how to never let it happen.” Lady Athena carried a look of confusion as to why this man was talking about her mother, and what she had to do with a failed ambitious sugar baron. Noticing her confusion, Charal plowed on, “My lady, you know where the beans came from for our drink?”

Her face transitioned to one of derision, “yes, it’s where I get my looks.” Picking up on her humour, “exactly we are also beholden to them like broken soldiers to the milk of the poppy, and I know how we can grow our own.” This caused the princess' levity to dissipate, as she gave her father a sideways glance, before bringing Charal back under her guise. “Why would we want to provoke Ethiopia like that?” Quick to see her point, he countered, “I don’t, what silk is the most expensive in the forums?” Demetrios answered for his daughter, holding back the heat in his voice barely, “Chinese, and ours is the cheapest…” snapping his fingers and pointed to Charal with realization, Charal returning the point, “Exactly Your Grace, because they have been doing it longer than anyone else. What do we sell the most out east M’lady? Our silks, wools and linens because they are the cheapest. We will never get the same flavour profiles as the Ethiopian estates, but we could become the supplier for the masses in our empire and beyond. The Latins, while they will never admit it, have been buying it now since the peace, just as their beet sugar, and Terranovan sugar has been dominating our markets. Inexpensive is the fact of economics, expensive is the game, my father always said.” Sitting back, giving Zoe’s hand a slight squeeze, he released and then folded his hands on the table in front of him. Demetrios, having remained in the same astute position he was when he almost ordered Charal killed, then see-sawed to could have kissed him not moments ago, sat back and looked up through the skylight above, his face had lightened to a contemplative visage.

His daughter however had furrowed brows, as she took in this incredulous ‘gardener’, as he had introduced himself. “How can you make such a guarantee? There has been no talk of kaffea being grown anywhere outside of the highlands of Ethiopia. It would be akin to Justinian's monks.” Charal remained tight-lipped suddenly, and looked to her father, staring at the sky above. “Actually my dear, that’s because the only successful plant to grow outside Ethiopia has never been mentioned before,” bringing himself back to the table from where he was building castles made of clouds, “because this man is the only one to have done it, and has kept it alive.”

Here Charal became uncomfortable, “Well Your Grace, as it stands now, she is on death's door. I am truly sorry, but I didn’t figure out what was wrong until I got here. I could write Pronoetes Grabas to start applying peat moss to it, but I fear it might be too late, by the time my letter gets to him.” Demetrios lightly slapped the table, then rang the little bell left on the platter “Write the instructions down and I will send them with the fastest rider on a horse from a lesser date. It would not do to let my wife’s name sake fall to such negligence,” a grin to Charal. A servant entered quickly and knelt beside the Emperor, “Ioannes fetch me quill, ink and parchment please.” Off the lad near ran towards the nearest stationary.

Watching him for a second, Demetrios turned back to Charal, “The expedition will not be leaving for another year, as there are other... commitments, in Rhomania-in-the-East that need our attention but do you think you can keep her alive till then?” Charal bowed his head, “My Lord knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t get a harvest by then.” The Emperor winked at his daughter who just rolled her eyes and shook her head, “write to me if you do, I would love to visit for a drink again.”

Last edited:
No spoilers, but Odysseus will be nothing if not spectacular.
From all the hints dropped it seems like Odysseus will be like a 2nd Alexander the Great, but perhaps with the effects of overextension actually applying.
“I imagine it will not be named that for long, it pays being the world's biggest banker, you hear a lot.”
Very interesting...wonder how long that’ll last.

And the beginnings of coffee grown in the Empire? Would be a massive boon but cause a lot of tensions with the Ethiopians.

From all the hints dropped it seems like Odysseus will be like a 2nd Alexander the Great, but perhaps with the effects of overextension actually applying.

I mean, one might say that it did - but you've also got to remember that Alexander the Great didn't really change the institutions, just who was at the top, for the most part.

And the beginnings of coffee grown in the Empire? Would be a massive boon but cause a lot of tensions with the Ethiopians.

If I read that correctly, it'll be the budget stuff, which I doubt the Ethiopians would care about, unless it approaches their quality.

What will be interesting is that the coffee-shop culture will expand to a poorer group of citizens, which could be interesting in terms of expanding the political culture. We could see children of farmers using scholastic pursuits to raise themselves up, rather than being the Emperors guardsman :p

With B444's permission, A Fantastic Voyage
* * *​

“The time crept up on me faster than I realized. To be frank, after Zoe proclaimed her leadership in the adventure, I had almost forgotten about it. Well, the time of our departure; you never forget when you get invited to the White Palace. Writing this, I still have to shake my head ruefully to being so oblivious, and not recognize the man. It isn’t like we have his portrait hanging up everywhere, or coin pressings give enough detail. After almost a year of steady correspondence, eventually Archon started to simply have his letters redirected to my home. ‘Paperwork I don’t need or have to deal with, so I won’t’. This last letter though, the fact it went through him first, had sent me to the hut more, I would imagine to distract myself as much to rend my stress on that which is the seed of it… and my big stupid mouth. Jazerah is still suffering and all signs point to a slow and painful death, which is frustrating me to no end. I have kept her alive this long and even brought her to fruit a bit… if the puny shriveled ruby fleshed mockeries, can be called fruit, but I am at my wits end. I can only imagine that He wants an update, and time frame to deliver.

This feels ominous though, as I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t have just asked directly in his last letter. I am not sure what to tell him his silver has gotten us, as keeping the plant alive this long, and this north is a feat in and of itself. To get fruit? Incredible. Patrons don’t think like that though and He is The patron of all patrons. He is going to want results he can profit from, and slowly killing a plant is not one that fits his plan, I would assume. He could be a sadist, people of his status have been, I doubt it though. However bragging about my work was probably the dumbest thing I could have done. Grandfather was right, the man has a track record that an imbecile would only ignore, so the only thing I can do is do what he taught me so early on. Honesty is the best foot forward when it comes to your superiors, regardless of what comes. I can’t hide the results. I imagine I could get a job with my brother and sister, Father would be pleased.

Speaking of honesty, I hope however this goes, the journey is amicable with my companion. I find her taking more of my thoughts, she is the African daisy to my jade. My heart prays I am the only one courting her favour, may this trip give me a chance to let her see I am more than just a gardener. Grand gestures always feel hollow to me, because they rely on spectacle. Ha, so I am taking my muse to meet Emperor Demetrios III. Subtle move old boy. I feel at times I am out of my depths, she is from the truly rarer air. Her father is polite enough, and looks me in the eye when we speak, even was amenable to my proposition to marriage. He said he would write to my father, and discuss the details. I could not in good conscience accept a dowry, what would I do with it besides just give it to her. This trip however was a feather in my cap. Her mother? Not so. She seems to relish in making my family's name sound more foreign every meeting, and will only painfully recognize my Grandfather's past as the only good use the Empire has for barbarians. I could only imagine the look on her face when Zoe told them I’ve been invited to the palace, to meet with Him and she was my guide. Her Uncle and aunts seem to enjoy my company, but when it comes to the monied nobility, one must always hold their cards tight. Especially when he is headed to the city.

I just had to stand up though, and have my work recognized didn’t I? May the holy father watch over me, and the blessed mother preserve me, I pray to not nourish your earth with my bones this early, as I already have so much bone meal to use instead, and would prefer my children, if I ever have any, to spread me after they run out of the latter.”

The smell was the first sign of the City they noticed on their approach, the wind wafting the urban perfume over them. The combination of incense, spices, wood smoke, horse apples, and seaside, was unmistakable, reminding him of his youth. Running around the docks of Nikomedia, as his father haggled with a ship owner. Plenty of cities shared the combination and each even having their own signature, but not this strong and as noticeable from as far as this. Coming over the last rise between the Heraklean, and Theodosian walls, his ‘guide’ had insisted they dock in Hebdomon yesterday afternoon, she was adamant one can't enter the city their first time from the docks, you had to experience it from old The Golden Gate and on. She was right, making their way through the Heraklean walls was impressive, a testament to the forethought of Herakles II, but as they now approached the storied portal, not realizing he had gawked as they rode up to it. The Elephants seemed ready to stampede down upon them from the clouds, the visual helped by the structure having a feeling of ethereal lightness, as the sun lit up the marble casing. Zoe smiled at his gape, it always puzzled her how someone so knowledgeable, and cosmopolitan, could be as much a peasant at heart and have never set foot in the capital. His wonder made him look like a young boy, excitement filling his eyes, with an innocence she rarely saw in him.

A subtle giggle, “You’re safe Charal, they haven’t moved since The Spider Prince.”
Shaking his head slightly, and composing himself, “I’ve always been fascinated by the beasts, my father took me once to Theodosius’ Park in Antioch as a boy, we were there on business and one of his associates had extra passes. I was 8 at the time and terrified when I first saw them. I couldn’t fathom that scale of God’s creation, not without it having a destructive or dangerous purpose. But then when I got to meet one, pet, feed it and ride it even; The gentleness it showed and how carefully it let me up on its back as a passenger…” he shrugged, "It's true what they say about them, they never forget, I made sure to visit that elephant everytime I was in the city, and she remembered me every time. It has been a while since I was last there, the month before I started my university years, she was still there and happy to see me." Shifting slightly in his saddle, glancing at her quickly, a shadow of a smirk, "if what I've read of the religion of the India's, and they end up right, I can only hope to come back as such a noble creature.” Quickly turning and slapping his shoulder playfully, Zoe accentuated with a gasp aimed at her riding companion, “Blasphemer” she uttered with melodramatic scorn. In the distance a bell rang a double five tone chime, taking their attention.

Straightening up and repositioning himself in his saddle with a wider grin, they passed through the gate. Zoe let him pull ahead a bit, and took the time to consider her "charge", as Pronotes Gabaras had called him when they had bid him farewell. This wasn't the first time she had found herself measuring him, not plus and minuses, but weight of character. That was the first of any religious comments she had heard him say beyond the uttered curse, when struggling with a stubborn bramble. Those were in Gaelic, he would excuse, they didn't count. He also had a verbose library, which he shared with almost anyone in the park, though his private collection was one less open, she always was surprised when she could comb through. She had found a Greek/Chinese copy of Confucius, as well she suspected a Koran, by the detailing of the Arabic script and layout of pages. She wouldn't be surprised if she found one or two Eastern texts explaining their faiths and gods. She never saw him at church before either, beyond the major holidays.

He also never mentioned he had been to Antioch, a city that always sat uncomfortably with her. Twice she visited, and twice she got lost without her chaperone, both times finding her in almost compromising situations. He had been there young, and multiple times too, where he seemed comfortable with the place. 'Just from Nikomedia' whenever anyone asked where he was from, and she had seen his homes; a cramped apartment his father, brother and sister had over their office, two blocks to the docks, two blocks to the forum. But mostly a modest, plain looking villa, on a well tended working estate outside the city. The land was part of his grandmother's dowry, the structure was built by his grandfather, with the idea that the less he spends on making it pretty, the more he can spend to make it sturdier; they would simply fill inside as their family grew. And grow they did; the inside was much more alive and rich in character, a marked contrast to the stark exterior. A repeated compliment his father never ceased to enjoy, at his many feast day celebrations. Let it not be said his father did not know his Saints and which liked a glass raised in their name. What better network tool than when you host where people network? It also got him invited to more exclusive occasions in return; business begetting business. Charal was more like his grandfather in looks as demeanor, though his grandfather while taller, it was his eyes, they carried a terrifying electricity. Always watching, pondering, and loathe to voice his thoughts, she couldn't tell when she first met him, if he was incontinent, or senile until he spoke at dinner. Locking her with his intense gaze, he asked her ever politely for the salt. Charal only showed his father's gregariousness when engaged in a meaningful conversation, work for example, but having never the patience for small talk, remaining an owl among a crowd. Yet here he was, taking her to meet the Emperor, on a personal note to top it off. Giving her head a slight shake, she spurred her mount on to catch up with her "charge" as she noticed him glance slightly over his shoulder for her.

The western terminus of the Messe lay before them a paved carpet, at its end he could just make out The Church. The duo trotted leisurely past the small wheat, corn, and barley fields, accented by personal vegetable gardens, dotting near the clustering of houses, rising with the fifth hill. Riding along the southern Messe, great swathes of colourful pageantry festooned the boulevard, music coming from every direction greeted them even at this distance. Revelry and merrymaking took to the people as a release, and salve to the collective soul of the city of man's desires. The anger, murderous resolve, and subtle fear had been tossed aside years ago, emotions piled on by the War, but finally after His good guiding hand, and the heroism of His children, Romans were free to celebrate being Roman, and have been finding reasons and ways to since the peace, day and night. The recent access to the nocturne energy was fueled by a series of oil lanterns suspended above the main thoroughfares and forums by order of Lady Athena, after an unpleasant encounter created by a late running tour of orphanages. Along with the law-enforcement reform of her father, this gave way to a sense of security to venture out at night, and an opportunity for more business for those who were open to service the bold night owls. The avenue snaked up to Exokionion where jugglers, mummers, and acrobats from the Indias and the Chinas gathered onlookers and their coin, with their contortions and seemingly weightless tumbles. Making their way down to the Forum of the Ox, similar scenes repeated, only a band of Japanese drummers were set up here. Their big drums having a trance-like effect on the plazas occupants, Charal and Zoe lingered a short while enjoying the show. Along their path they passed more and more entertainers, sometimes fire eaters, other times sword swallowers, and illusionists with more and more people filling the spaces. Rose petals everywhere told them they had missed the morning parade of the best racers, both local and those who had traveled for the competitions, from circuits across the Empire.

The road rose and ran along the ridge to the second hill, most of the buildings up to this point in its course were no larger than 4 or 6 stories, but as the eye followed it, the city arose around them like the seven hills. Grand and tall apartments crept up taller than he would imagine sensible. Who would want to climb 12 stories? As many of the Empires cities he has visited, this was another beast entirely; banners, flowers and flags buttressed the avenues and arcades, the crowds gave the whole city a look of a bustling ants nest. Heading their way down the street taking in the sights the largest city in Europe had to offer, passing through the four great forums, each busier than the last, crowded with people, the complexions as varied as the colours, washing the city into a rainbow. Each forum was surrounded by more extravagant decorations and buildings further down their route, and populated with more extravagant occupants. Dancers, musicians, and street food vendors covered any corner or long enough wall to act as their backdrop, each adding their distinctness to the aromas and general symphony. Eventually though they ended up at the great square of the milion, he had maintained a mask of indifference on the ride, nodding politely to elders that made eye contact, and wink to any children who had done the same. He was struck stunned, his mount feeling his distraction, slowed as they entered the plaza, near to the cadence of the twelfth hour bell that was standing at the literal heart of their living world. The Demetrian Milion, often shortened to just ‘The Milion’. A large four sided pedestal, friezes of the seasons skirting said base, rooted a grand quaded column rising 20m, lifting above a four-sided celestial designed clock face, separate dials delineating the day and month along with the transition of the moon, all topped with a copper roof cupola, housing four grand bells. A declaration of Chronokratos, and Roman capabilities of mechanical engineering, it was a gift from Demetrios III on the first anniversary of the peace. A rumour uttered by the bureaucrats, is it was secretly set 5 minutes early, because the Emperor was tired of the civil servants showing up late. Coming around the Milion, their view was framed by the imposing background of the square that was the monument, Hagia Sophia, drawing Charal’s eyes and taking over all his thoughts. It was the time of day where the sun was splashing against it, and he could make out the stained glass installed by Demetrios II in all the windows, it all didn’t seem real to him. The beauty of its lines, the grandness in its dominance of the landscape, he spied it from the entrance of the city, having misjudged just how impressive it was. He had read “The Buildings”, and “The Secret Histories”, finally, now he understood Justinian's fanatical devotion to his dreams. The Latins could build their own cathedrals, and respectable they were, having seen Aix Cathedral with his father as a boy, along with numerous Italian splendiferous houses of worship. There was a timeless permanence emanating from it; the sun and moon danced, waves rocked, the Hagia Sophia existed as it always did, in the people’s minds.

Turning left, they rode towards the old acropolis and their final destination. He was glad he had insisted on leaving early, it was over a week before leaving Nicomedia before they arrived at the White Palace, so they had some time before his audience, and he had already made a mental list of places to explore further, the great cathedral was now at the top of it. Approaching the Eagles Gate of the palace, named so by the great bronze double-headed eagle, arrogantly perched above, making a challenge to all the world in its majesty. Two lions lay prone in its claws, one winged, the other with Egyptian styling along the body, representing Venice and the Mamluks respectively, installed by Helen I on the anniversary of Andreas I Niketas birth. Charal had his wits gathered about him shortly after passing the grand church, so that when one of the guards had shifted his stance to them, he had a bearing of official business. Thanking Zoe in his head, for taking him to a tailor in Chalcedon before they left so he wouldn’t look like ‘a rube who played in the dirt all day’, the guard gave them a look of importance while he politely held his hand up in front of him.
“Halt sir, please state your business”
Charal nodded, and mustered his best Nicean accent, “Of course droungarios” while reaching into his patterned cotton coat, he revealed, and handed the guard his letter of passage from the Emperor. The officer scanned it quickly, nodded and turned to press a button on the wall behind him. The first bars of the imperial march chimed softy from what seemed like the wall, and a moment later, the three story, ornately carved, reinforced doors opened smoothly outwards, only the faintest squeak from the hinges betraying their weight.

Three attendants emerged, one taking their reins each, asking them to dismount; only the Emperor himself may ride through those doors. Taking their horses to the imperial stables, followed by the other three, they left them with the remaining man, he received the letter from the guard and with a single glance, reading it faster than Charal thought was possible, “This way please Kyrios Caldonridis” stretching his arm out to his side, “The Emperor is occupied until after dinner today, your things will be taken to your apartment for you and unpacked. I will be your guide here, my name is Daniel, please do not hesitate to ask me for anything.” He handed Charal back the note, “I will also make sure you are properly versed in the etiquette of the court when in public events, so as not to embarrass his grace or yourself. I have been informed that you might be unfamiliar with the nuances of the palace.” Turning to Zoe with a slight bow, “milady…” “Tyrinos” Charal informed him, Daniels' face making a barely perceptible twitch. Returning with a curtsy, she smothered a smile, enjoying the reaction to her family name. Unlike her uncle, her father dealt almost entirely in textile trading, having bought shares in several ships in the Indian trade and was very conservative in his business growth. It was he though, who had helped leverage his fallen brothers' slow return to success, anonymously.

Entering the Palace, they start to make their way through the colonnaded corridors and frescoes that eventually open to a glass domed, tropical garden. Occupied by a table with a small bell on top, and two chairs beside, Charals stomach rumbled when he first came upon the scene, having not eaten since they left Hebdomon that morning. Daniels' grin was faint, motioning them to the chairs, “lunch is available if you are hungry from your travels.” The polite suggestion given, Charal nodded with an earnest smile pulling out Zoe’s seat for her, “Please Daniel, if it is being offered” and then moving to take his own. Their attendant picked up the bell and rang it delicately, creating a soft tingling. Three servants appeared shortly after, one carrying a platter of monems, smoked fish, cheeses, breads and salads with fruit. The other two each carried trays with decanters and goblets, one glass holding a rich red Malmsey, the other silver, filled with water, placing the drinks upon the table. The respective servers filled the goblets and left the two travelers and their guide. Watering their wine to their preferred taste, conversation was polite and topical while the two ate, Zoe finding out she knew a cousin of Daniels in Smyrna, a retired Navy captain turned ship owner. The Sidorian Column chimed its quarter to the hour tune, Daniel pardoning himself with the promise to return, exiting down a corridor opposite where they entered the courtyard.

Zoe took in the scenery and was completely awed, as comprehension sent the blood from her face. She knew wealth, but this was a level only read about. Multi hued marble, granite, and limestone was carved every which way to give the perception of the greenery continuing beyond the walls into an infinite jungle of the sub-continent. Jewel-eyed animals hid among the trees and bushes of the reliefs, tigers wore emerald, panthers sapphires, birds and reptiles both having amethysts, polished onyx adorned the bears and elephants; all set to be noticeable in the right light. The table and chairs they sat upon, elegant teak, the legs and back carved into serpents rising behind to support the occupant. It hit her then where this ‘adventure’ had landed them, she was keen to lead him to the city, she loved it here, but she did not expect to be with him when he met with The Emperor. Looking up she saw Charal poking and looking disappointed by the flower beds beside them. She let a nervous laugh out and gave her head a small shake, here he was in luxuries lap about to see the most powerful man in the world, and all he could do was get his hands covered in dirt. Hearing her laugh, he slowly looked up at her with realization and awkward amusement. Bashfully, “What? It’s a nice garden, granted. I think that’s a cestrum nocturnum, and some nymphaea stellata in the ponds I want to say. There’s a lot here I’ve not seen, or used, but that is Syzygium Malaccense, I know, and its soil is too sweet, look at the poor foliage on it, and they are watering it too much…” turning back to the bed in thought, “and yet it’s warm enough, but the fruit is small for its maturity. With how much water it is getting, you’d think they would be more full and plump...” Squeezing a berry lightly, crossing his arms, he taps his chin leaving a dirt smudge, eyes locked in thought.

“Charal, Stop It!” A snap came from Zoe. He looked back to her uncharacteristic shortness, noticing her blanched face, “Unlike you, I’ve never met the Emperor, let alone be in his presence. I get it, your mind is always spinning, and I love that about you it’s one of your sexiest qualities, but right now I’m so nervous beyond belief I could vomit. I need you here.” An uneasy smile took over her usual carefree demeanor, eyebrows creasing. She reached out on the table, Charal returning to the here and now seeing her discomfort, straightened and cleaning his hands with a lemon and napkin, smiled at her. Taking her hand, his eyes softened, a wave of gentleness took over his features, “He is a really easy man to be around Zoe, I promise.” Voice feather soft, “He understands people very well, and would never want to intimidate a guest” resting his other hand on her knee, leaning in, “it is going to be a small number of people in the room, it is just past lunch so he has appointments after us I would imagine.” a small squeeze and a reassuring grin, “too many people in the room would slow everything up, and more important things would have to wait.” Her smile broke into a more humorous one, “Business is business my dove, and our Emperor only needs to humble barbarians like the Latins”
Zoe felt her tension let go slightly, ‘If he’s this relaxed what Do I have to worry about?’ squeezing his hand back, “Charal had I known when I decided to help out my uncle and buy some plants, I would end up meeting Demetrios the Third..." She let go of his hand, and grabbed his used napkin, folding it around her finger, and wiped the dirt from his chin. Her other hand raised to steady his face, his own coming to caress it.
He smiled in spite of himself, “You were the one who got lost in the woods” She gave a more relaxed laugh, admiring her work, “You were the one making all the racket, how could I not save what I thought was a wounded animal?”
Charal drew back a bit breaking the intimacy with a dramatic gasp, “I was singing for the plants sake, not yours” a tongue darted, “it’s good for them, besides I can’t just talk to them all day, I look crazy enough as it is.”
Zoe patted his hand and sat upright, a teacher correcting her student, “Eccentric sweetheart, you are eccentric now. Crazy people don’t meet the Emperor.”
Smiling eyes rolled, but his retort was cut short; footsteps are heard echoing. Daniel emerges from the corridor he disappeared from, with a plain clothed guard on his seven. “Kyrios Caldonridis, Leipo Tyrinos, the Emperor will see you now.”

* * *​
A heavy oak door, detailed with wrought iron reinforcements and hinges greeted their small party. A tall well built man armed with both sword and pike, standing as sentinel, surveyed the newest visitors. Having journeyed, what to Charal was a rabbit warren of tapestries, stairs, and pillars, they stood in a small alcove; the light from the gallery 10 meters further down the corridor, spilled over the area, reflected off mirrors around the space, adding to the other galleries of the palace, giving credence to its name. Their escort returned to his post opposite the door and diagonal to his compatriot at the portal's handle, who was now opening the door half-way for Daniel, Charal, and Zoe.

A small cast iron closed fireplace, anchored a seating area, surrounded by rich drapes hung from the ceiling giving the atmosphere of being in a tent, greeted them on their right as they entered. The furniture was made up of plush couches, fine polished tables, set over heavily plied rugs. Ahead of the party, a short wide hall of cabinets ended in a bright high ceiling room. A large codex lay open, paper, inkwells of different colours, parchment, books, and several scrolls made a nest for the great book. It all cluttered the top of a grand but utilitarian desk of tiger stripe grain wood, situated opposite of the entrance. A simple but well cushioned, red, high backed chair sat behind, the many tall windows setting the background, framing the sky. To their far left a large door was the only decoration on the wall, faint murmurs could be heard beyond, but nothing more than being barely audible. Daniel led them towards the space only vearing to his right, past two desks bracing the portal, almost equal in their size and paperwork but organized, across from the larger one. Both occupied by two men who seemed in a trance with their tasks, their gentle scribbling filled the space, a random double thud of a stamp breaking the general white noise.

Coming upon a man in the dress of being at the office, he was hunched over an intricate globe, in front of the furthest window. He was sliding lenses along a rail built into the globes frame, when their approach brought him upright turning around, the trio stopping in their tracks. Zoe was on her game and immediately curtsied deeply, while Charal was taken aback. He gave himself a slight nod and bowed as low. While he did maintain letters with the man, he had only met him once at the start of the Latin War. A man who was younger than his father now looked as old as his grandfather. Daniel stepped forward, “His Grace Dem-” The old man waved his hand stepping forward, “enough Daniel, you are for the courtiers, besides we have already been introduced.” His voice added more shock to Charal, the rasp along with the weariness evident in his body, betraying the fierce intelligence still burning behind the man's aged eyes.

The courtier being a long serving veteran of the dynasty shrugged, slightly sighing with a smile, waved towards the approaching Demetrios who was holding out his aged and veined hand, grinning, “Charal it’s been some time.” Charal stood again, taking the offered hand firmly and nodded deeply. “Your Grace, it is an honour, thank you for the invitation”. The Emperor smirking, “I don’t remember you being this officious. You can look up man, it seems like you’ve done well for yourself” giving Charals shoulder a slight brush with his other hand. “It’s good to finally return your hospitality, I can’t abide being in a friend's debt for as long as I have.” Patting Charal’s hand, he released, then turned to Zoe. He lifted her hand giving it a peck, followed by an incorrigible smile as a wolfish glint took over the old man's face, “and who is your lovely companion that brightens my humble court?” A blush crossed Zoe’s cheeks as she bowed slightly, “I imagine you were the one who dressed him too.” A wink, “clever lad found himself a smarter woman.” A pause. “Be careful though; you might find yourself promoted higher than you would like.” Some more light, and life, twinkled in the Emperor’s eyes, until suddenly a series of wracking coughs shuddered the Basileus’ whole body.

Daniel waited until the Emperor’s coughs had passed and then cleared his throat, “Lady Zoe Tyrinos of Smyrna”.

“Ah, Philippicus’s daughter.” It was Zoe’s turn to be taken aback, Demetrios shaking her hand as he continued “An industrious man, taking the Plethon route of basic textiles to the east, instead of bullion. That seems to be the safest bet these days with the trade east, it is now our largest single export that way. He was also 18th in the empire for pope contributions during the War if I remember correctly. I heard he also has finally bought his way into a shipping company recently. It sounds like he is growing.” She shook back impressed, “He is my lord, and he did, buying into the fifth largest, Malenius and Sons.” Patting her hand, “I imagine it will not be named that for long, it pays being the world's biggest banker, you hear a lot.” Releasing his tender grip on her hand, The Emperor stretched his arm out towards the seating area they had passed when entering, “Shall we enjoy the afternoon then in each other's company,” and started making his way ahead of them.

As they sat, trays of sweets and samrabovas with accompaniments were set, and the party was left to themselves, Daniel standing a respectful distance from the party. Emperor Demtrios poured his companions their kaffos. After their drinks were fixed, the Emperor made his own, adding laudanum to his. He took a drink, visibly relaxing. Sitting back with another satisfied sip, he looked at Chalambos with a friendly, but calculating eye.

"Charal, tell me, what do you know of Rhomania-in-the-east."

A slight tilt of his head, was the only sign the directness of the statement caught him off guard. Zoe quietly mimicked Charal, but towards his direction. Taking a thoughtful sip of his cup, he squared himself and looked at his Emperor. “Lush, the obvious abundance of it’s associated spices, produced mostly by plantations of indigenous design. They don’t grow crops like we do, rice replaces the cereals we use, and eat fish as much as we do, some fowl, and pork. Most information I have is hand translated texts by monks on mission, sailors stories, and fantasy novels, besides the shipping manifests.”

Another sip, his eyes drifting above his Demertrios’ shoulder, thinking back to his father's office. While he reminisced, Demetrios reached between them to a platter holding multi layered honey and pistachio pastries. What seemed like a lifetime ago became sharp again, “Monsoon seasons are the biggest factor” began Charal, “both to trade and growing, a three season year; Many active volcanoes, so the land is fresh and fertile beyond the spice trade.” Setting his cup down, and rubbing his palms on his knees in slow circles. “I’m only familiar with a small collection of foodstuffs, taro, millet and some pulses, the rare exotic flower from there. I have correspondence with the professors of Botany at the University of Antwerp and London about some such plants. The garden we were served in had only some I could confidently recognize, one, the suffering Syzygium Malaccense…” a slight pause drawing before giving himself a shake and returning again, looking back to his sovereign with a resigned face, “Beyond that m'lord, I am afraid I am not much help to any debate you would have me attend. Especially with anyone of serious study”

Demetrios III finished his pastry with a final bite, washing it down with the last of his now tepid kaffos, and returned the cup to its saucer. Brushing his hands lightly, “The treatises, and pamphlets you have written, tell me you are more helpful on the subject than you would give yourself credit.” He sat back crossing a leg with some effort, still focused on Charal. Thumbing his hose, “And that is the point, there is no one of serious studies of Rhomania-in-the-east. Some writings by monks, traders, and sailors tales. Reports from officials, but not collated and systematized. No proper encyclopedia.”

Having to play the role of dutiful daughter in her father's business dealings publicly, Zoe knew from a young age how to read people's real intentions. Phillippicus saw her skills early, and used those to hear what others tried to hide, to recognize what is unsaid. She knew the minute he mentioned the pamphlets. Charal wrote under the pen name Didymous Mystius, his observations of his work at Sweetwaters. The work having been published through the Parks own printing house, with the understanding any sales were garnished heavily by the Park treasury, as payment for the tools and opportunities to make said studies. It was his along with a handful of others from the park, and universities, that had helped start the stability of food production, and growth of variety. Her heart raced as she prepared for him to figure it out himself, and immediately refused it.

Charal leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees with a gentle exhale, to end with a slow smirk, that contrasted suddenly sly eyes, “Are you Sending me East m’Lord?”

Demetrios stopped the tugging of his leggings, studying his subject, “I am asking if you would care to be part of the imperial mission to write the Encyclopedia of Rhomania-In-The-East. ‘Sending you’ would mean you would be a prisoner to my will, and that is no way to get a man to do what he does best. Not in this modern day, we aren’t Latins.”

Now making the finger temple of contemplation, Charal tapped his index fingers together twice and sat back with an air of finality, and calm face. “Then I am your man, My Lord.”

Demetrios smiled wide, “Excellent, I would have hated to have to send you regardless; it would have cost twice the security budget for you, to make sure you didn’t desert.”

* * *​

Zoe was initially surprised, but remembered his private library. ‘Andreas Angelos the Pirate Prince, and Jiraiya the Shapeshifter reborn’ she thought with a lighthearted eye roll. Then a sickening thought struck her, could she, and would she follow him there? She handled the journey so far because she had a hand on the tiller, the trip to The City was one she had done, Charal never, nothing crazy. This was waters of a different colour, with Charal and her making an odd pair of ducks in it. It had been sitting in her stomach the entire two weeks, when they had time to themselves.

Their appearance in the imperial court and the official announcement of the mission was on the following day, along with a meeting of the minds separately that would make up the academic mission. They would meet several more times during their period in Constantinople. She could tell Charal was excited too as he was declared the lead botanist, and was familiar with the team assembled for him, and they were aware of his writings, even if they were not aware it was him that wrote it. Two of the five were from Sweetwaters however and were very familiar with their new boss, and his work, and would inform their compatriots over the coming days exactly who their leader really was. The subsequent meetings helped build a format for how they would respect each specialist’s sphere of study, and go about compiling their information. From what She could gather, there were quite a few ‘personalities’ as Charal described them, that made up the endeavour.

The pair had dined a handful of times with the Emperor and Empress in their apartments. Zoe had to admit, they made a charming couple. The affection for each other was evident, but she could feel some distance. In saying that, the conversation spiced the meals well, along with the environment they enjoyed them in. Speaking of, She was again struck by the opulence, it wasn’t gaudy, it was just everywhere in the details and quality. The shared accommodations for her and Charal made any apartment, or house for that matter, they had spent any time in to shame. From the ivory pillared, red granite mantle over the fireplace in the sitting room with its complimenting furniture, to the delicately carved birds-eye maple, four poster bed, curtained and made in fine linen. What did help with her unease, was taking Charal to her favourite taverna a block up from the Forum of Constantine, and then her winning big at the races by betting on the underdog Reds. Charal was more than comfortable with her setting the tour itinerary, her handy ‘The City’ tourist booklet in hand, Daniel ever dutifully made sure to join them during their quieter times. Charal’s only caveat to their schedule was that they had to go to the Divine Liturgy that Sunday.

That was an eye opening experience from both. He was lost in awe and barely followed the mass, she was astounded by his near open mouthed amazement. After the service was over and they had freedom to explore more of the structure, she realized it was less the religious aspect, and more the marvel. The fact Charal had pointed out columns that had been taken from other structures around the empire, the original parts of the first iteration, and then the rebuild after the earthquake, settled in her head he was agnostic, barely. Something she finally broached along with her capital fear the night before they were to be properly presented at court.

“Charal” her voice soft and satisfied, slowly rolling over to her left side facing him. A sleepy, “Mmhm,” came from him as he lay on his back with lidded eyes, a sheen added a glow to the serenity he was giving off. “Do you believe in God?” There was no fear or scorn in the question, just the pillow talk of a lover. He opened his right eye wider and looked at her, a smirk growing in the corner of his mouth. “The Liturgy really got to you huh?” Her laugh light, “Oh the Patriarch moved me for sure, just maybe not in the direction he imagined.” Her hand reaching under the covers, moving up to his chest resting, his coming to meet it with a deep breath. “It would be careless not to, the majesty of the wild world tells me it couldn’t all just ‘happen’. There are principles shared in some places that have no correlation, to try to argue otherwise. But a father on a throne, and choirs of winged angels? I cannot subscribe.” Gently running a finger tip along Zoe’s outstretched digits. “I believe in Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, and the good they represent, and a greater power, but not how the church paints it.” Now rolling over to face her, “Do you?” Humour gone now, it being a question of gentle earnest.

“I want to, and we are told we wouldn’t still be here if there wasn’t. The Empire itself is evidence of his grace and favor being bestowed upon us, but it all smacks of propaganda when I say it out loud. I like how you said it, ‘the good they represent and a greater power’.” Her hand slowly rubbing his chest in a small circle, “You are a puzzle at times love, so predictable yet full of surprises. This trip cemented many feelings I’ve had about you, but I fear for your journey east, and if I could follow you.” The admission of her fears caused her to look down as water started to gather on her lower lids, while Charals own eyes widened at the full meaning behind her words, lifting her chin up slightly with a knuckle, her gaze though still down cast, “My dove, you wouldn’t be following me, you would be beside me. But that would be a moot point, as your parents would most likely object, your mother for sure. Beyond some very definitive conditions, which I might have broached with your father, before this trip.” Zoe felt his heart quicken through her palm, eyes meeting his, “Charal, I need you to know I am a widow. My first husband was an officer at the first Ruse-” stilling her with his hand cupping her face. Instinctively she closed her eyes and leaned her head into the tender gesture, a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Zoe, I am aware, and I don’t care about that. After asking for and being granted your father's tentative approval, it would fill my heart overflowing if you would be my wife, and I your husband.”

* * *​

The declaration of the members of the mission at court the following day brought much applause and hand shakes; well presented new men at court are always new targets for favours, and many courtiers came to congratulate him at his naming. The first presentation to court was just so they were not complete unknowns, this however declared who was who and what they were being sent to do. Throughout the whole scene Charal was quiet, almost detached from the goings on, but still going through the motions. Zoe was in the same boat but for other reasons. The revelation of the previous night, explaining their slower to rise morning but only to themselves. The conversation in the Emperor’s office replayed in her head while recognizing few of the courtiers shaking his hand, one being Carals former professor of Botany, Thomas Lakoniadis. Genuine praise was from him she noted, with Charal being engaged again. He nearly shook the man’s arm off when they greeted, almost babbling about the acidity of the Ethopian highlands, and the plant he was poking at when they arrived five days ago. Again that unbridled enthusiasm erupted from him yesterday at his request to have lunch again at the same courtyard they had been in, before seeing him when they first arrived in the city.

They were joined that time by the Emperor and Lady Athena, Prince Odysseus being excused as he was east, and the Empress was on a tour of some of her clients. Finishing their meal of a smoked ham, caramelized onions, arugula and blue cheese pizza with a colourful salad, a kaffos service was placed along with cacao delicacies for them. As usual, the Emperor added opium to his.

After the servants left, and Athena had poured their cups, Charal could barely contain himself, mentioning “Jahzara”, and asking about the gardener who planted the garden they presently were in. Zoe was terrified when she saw the Emperor's eyes draw to slits, when Charal mentioned the struggling kaffea plant initially. Unlike her fiance, she’d been in the City the last time Emperor Demetrios III Sideros made an example of certain individuals. The skeletons were still up in the Forum.

Charal was ignorant of the edge he walked, as he blithely reasoned the theoretical relation of the acidity of the soil to the plants. The warm fatherly demeanor she remembered when they first met, ran in a juxtaposition to the cold stare boring into her ‘charge’ from Demetrios III. Her involuntary inhale snapped Charal out of his trance, misunderstanding it then feeling the still quiet, followed her gaze to the Emperor.

“Augustus, I…” Charal started, and felt her hand grab his under the table. “Please pardon my mindless exuberance, but I know why Tyrinos failed. I also know how to fix it, better, how to never let it happen.” Lady Athena carried a look of confusion as to why this man was talking about her mother, and what she had to do with a failed ambitious sugar baron. Noticing her confusion, Charal plowed on, “My lady, you know where the beans came from for our drink?”

Her face transitioned to one of derision, “yes, it’s where I get my looks.” Picking up on her humour, “exactly we are also beholden to them like broken soldiers to the milk of the poppy, and I know how we can grow our own.” This caused the princess' levity to dissipate, as she gave her father a sideways glance, before bringing Charal back under her guise. “Why would we want to provoke Ethiopia like that?” Quick to see her point, he countered, “I don’t, what silk is the most expensive in the forums?” Demetrios answered for his daughter, holding back the heat in his voice barely, “Chinese, and ours is the cheapest…” snapping his fingers and pointed to Charal with realization, Charal returning the point, “Exactly Your Grace, because they have been doing it longer than anyone else. What do we sell the most out east M’lady? Our silks, wools and linens because they are the cheapest. We will never get the same flavour profiles as the Ethiopian estates, but we could become the supplier for the masses in our empire and beyond. The Latins, while they will never admit it, have been buying it now since the peace, just as their beet sugar, and Terranovan sugar has been dominating our markets. Inexpensive is the fact of economics, expensive is the game, my father always said.” Sitting back, giving Zoe’s hand a slight squeeze, he released and then folded his hands on the table in front of him. Demetrios, having remained in the same astute position he was when he almost ordered Charal killed, then see-sawed to could have kissed him not moments ago, sat back and looked up through the skylight above, his face had lightened to a contemplative visage.

His daughter however had furrowed brows, as she took in this incredulous ‘gardener’, as he had introduced himself. “How can you make such a guarantee? There has been no talk of kaffea being grown anywhere outside of the highlands of Ethiopia. It would be akin to Justinian's monks.” Charal remained tight-lipped suddenly, and looked to her father, staring at the sky above. “Actually my dear, that’s because the only successful plant to grow outside Ethiopia has never been mentioned before,” bringing himself back to the table from where he was building castles made of clouds, “because this man is the only one to have done it, and has kept it alive.”

Here Charal became uncomfortable, “Well Your Grace, as it stands now, she is on death's door. I am truly sorry, but I didn’t figure out what was wrong until I got here. I could write Archon Grabas to start applying peat moss to it, but I fear it might be too late, by the time my letter gets to him.” Demetrios lightly slapped the table, then rang the little bell left on the platter “Write the instructions down and I will send them with the fastest rider on a horse from a lesser date. It would not do to let my wife’s name sake fall to such negligence,” a grin to Charal. A servant entered quickly and knelt beside the Emperor, “Ioannes fetch me quill, ink and parchment please.” Off the lad near ran towards the nearest stationary.

Watching him for a second, Demetrios turned back to Charal, “The expedition will not be leaving for another year, as there are other... commitments, in Rhomania-in-the-East that need our attention but do you think you can keep her alive till then?” Charal bowed his head, “My Lord knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t get a harvest by then.” The Emperor winked at his daughter who just rolled her eyes and shook her head, “write to me if you do, I would love to visit for a drink again.”
Thank you so much for writing this!

Vince

Monthly Donor
So I've been looking through the thread and I can't figure it out. What exactly does the Empire hold in the East? From what I can tell it's Sri Lanka, Part of Malaysia and Singapore, the Philippines, and parts of the Dutch East Indies?

So I've been looking through the thread and I can't figure it out. What exactly does the Empire hold in the East? From what I can tell it's Sri Lanka, Part of Malaysia and Singapore, the Philippines, and parts of the Dutch East Indies?
Yeah pretty much but to be more specific the part of the dutch east indies they own are the banda islands and and island off of Maluku called new constantinople. They also have a vassal in southern sulawesi.

If I read that correctly, it'll be the budget stuff, which I doubt the Ethiopians would care about, unless it approaches their quality.

I figure that even if it’s the cheaper stuff, the sheet fact that someone else is growing and selling coffee will cause a stir. It’s been the status quo for so long that any shake up will affect relations, before they smooth over.

Is there anything Ethiopia can really do in order to retaliate against the Romans for growing their own Kaffos? Definitely not go to war, at most i can see them less enthusiastically helping out Rhomania in the east. Due to Ethiopia losing its monopoly on Kaffos perhaps they could branch out their sea trade empire and colonize deeper into Africa and island Asia

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
To be honest, until Rhomaion starts growing it in Rhomania in the East Rhoman Kaffos will be small batch stuff and always will be in the heartland. Now what they could do is work on making a prestige variety that is sold as a luxury good for its distinct flavor. Maybe make it into a friendly rivalry between the two imperial brands of Kaffos.

Is there anything Ethiopia can really do in order to retaliate against the Romans for growing their own Kaffos? Definitely not go to war, at most i can see them less enthusiastically helping out Rhomania in the east. Due to Ethiopia losing its monopoly on Kaffos perhaps they could branch out their sea trade empire and colonize deeper into Africa and island Asia
They should go deeper into africa other luxuries can be found there. The Ethiopians dont have the manpower or fleet power to really make a strong pressence in the island asia. Besides they have lands in India, which is arguably more wealthy.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
They should go deeper into africa other luxuries can be found there. The Ethiopians dont have the manpower or fleet power to really make a strong pressence in the island asia. Besides they have lands in India, which is arguably more wealthy.
And really, do they need to colonize outside of Africa? They seem pretty poised to be a Russia and China, or OTL US, continental power ruling most of East Africa. That alone united and brought up to modern standards would be an indisputable great power.

And really, do they need to colonize outside of Africa? They seem pretty poised to be a Russia and China, or OTL US, continental power ruling most of East Africa. That alone united and brought up to modern standards would be an indisputable great power.

Ethiopia should be at parity with other European powers or at least the minor powers this time around. They had the benefit of interacting, receiving Roman aid in technology, money for more than 200 years while her leaders were educated in the Roman ways.

They should be in 10M range in population with better administrative efficiency, more technology, more aid by 1630s compared to their counterparts in OTL. Although they wont be as powerful as the Triunes projecting power, any European power invading Ethiopian empire will probably be squashed like a bug. They do have limited power projection/naval power, equal to some European countries, which was non existent in OTL.

But my thoughts are the same that TTL Ethiopia Empire and Russia are vast empires that have a lot of natural resources. Population wise I dont think Ethiopia would hold that many people like OTL while having an earlier higher development.

Oh, the Romans would be very much interested in those gold mines.
Malaya has the best resource extraction potential out of all the current Roman colonies. Although wildly profitable, the tin and gold mines, followed by the pepper, gambier and rubber plantations when they pick up will require enormous amounts of labour to work. Thus, Malaya will be the focal point of immigration in South East Asia for the next couple centuries. Indians and Chinese who immigrate either to set up their own enterprises or as indentured labour will continue to do so at an exponential pace regardless of any political developments short of a total razing and salting of the peninsula. The question is: Will the Romans adopt either or both of the Kangani and Kangchu Systems like the British IOTL to gain a semblance of control over immigration? Maybe they'll devise a whole new system that surpasses both.

2nd Alexander the Great
If he crosses the Indus and establishes an Empire stretching from the Maghreb to Bengal, from Tanais to the East Indies and Australia, people will start referring to Alexander as 'the Earlier Odysseus'.

PS who currently controls the Riau-Lingga archipelago? Imo, you need both Singapore and this Archipelago to properly police the shipping through the Straits.

Last edited:
Look, about Rhomania growing kaffos, it will never be able to reach Ethiopian output, and until someone introduces kaffos to Rhomania-in-the-East or the Americas, Ethiopia will still be the largest coffee-grower on Earth. When they see Rhomania growing kaffos in Rhomania proper, the Ethiopians will likely do nothing because:
1. Rhomania is Ethiopia's largest market. You do not antagonize the largest market of your exports.
2. Rhomania is well-placed to strangle the Ethiopian economy by blockading the Ethiopian ports on the Red Sea.
3. Ethiopia and Rhomania are close allies with a lot of military cooperation and cultural exchange.

And even after the Romans begin growing kaffos in the east, I can still see Ethiopian coffee growers concentrate on taste, cultivating prestige varieties of coffee that command high prices. This Ethiopia, after all, is better developed and more centralized than OTL Ethiopia.

I figure that even if it’s the cheaper stuff, the sheet fact that someone else is growing and selling coffee will cause a stir. It’s been the status quo for so long that any shake up will affect relations, before they smooth over.

That single coffee plant needed special treatment to be kept alive. Growing coffee on a large scale is entirely impractical in Asia Minor or Greece. Now in the east it is a different matter. To look into modern production if the empire ends up with all of Indonesia which I find unlikely given the established Spanish presence there its otl 2019 production would be about 12 million bags of coffee a year. By comparison the expanded Ethiopia (Ethiopia, Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania ) would be about 13 million when Brazil is over 44 million. Not certain how much this is increased by Ethiopia TTL being part of the first world.

Guys one of the most important historical coffee growers was Yemen. Coffee was grown up and down Western Arabia. Ethiopia has never had a monopoly.