An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Are all foreign vessels required to dock in Nagasaki like OTL or is Osaka an option too since the Korean merchants can access it?
Unrelated question, but what is the lingua franca in South East Asia? Greek and Spanish vying for primacy over native languages like Malay?
Greek is more predominant since they were way earlier than the spanish, however thats only for their controlled teritories direct or indirect. As trading is the lifeline of South East Asia I'm guessing Greek is more or less known better by the native powers there. its just a speculation of mine.
Now for Spanish language I'm not too sure if it even has made any headway to their controlled areas. The cities should be atleast knowledgeable of the language but I'm guessing only the elites? TTL Spanish language influence should still be the same as OTL if I'm right, cause when we were under their rule they make sure to divide the rich between the middle and lower class. There isn't any indication in the updates that Spanish attitudes have changed in the south east asia, unless Basileus decides so.

Unrelated question, but what is the lingua franca in South East Asia? Greek and Spanish vying for primacy over native languages like Malay?

I'd be betting on Greek if for no other reason because TTL it has remained a lingua franca/ widespread language continously since the time of Alexander. Even before the Greeks reached South East Asia TTL you'd probably be able to find a handful of speakers. Then they show up ahead of the Spanish...

What I think is interesting is if Korea and Japan retain friendly relations then Japan may not go towards having a mainland empire at all and end up this world's Britain that has a nice little island empire around the Pacific with possible holdings in OTL California and Pacific Northwest.

This also ends up being a better deal for Manchuria and the Jurchens as they will be a far larger chunk of any Korean state than they would in China.

Pure speculation of course but I can see TTL Russia not only colonizing OTL Alaska but BC and even WA/OR too. Northern CA is up for grabs, there's no reason Japan (with a way station at Hawaii) can't project power to the San Francisco Bay Area. Won't be easy but if they maintain good relations with Russia (both Orthodox so that helps) and Mexico (both potentially Rhoman allies so that helps) they could carve out a nice little colony in the Bay Area.

Again, pure speculation of course but it is fun to think about.

I think Odysseus' first project as Basileus should be to commission a hall of emperors going all the way back to Augustus up to him in the city of Rome to strengthen his claim to the region.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Not really but itd be pretty dang cool
It would be but not something Odysseus would do. This is sort of a project that would happen in the 1800s-1900s as a sort of national celebration, maybe a Rhoman version of the Smithsonian focused on Rhoman history.

It would be but not something Odysseus would do. This is sort of a project that would happen in the 1800s-1900s as a sort of national celebration, maybe a Rhoman version of the Smithsonian focused on Rhoman history.
Yeah that sounds like a far more likely outcome

I think rather than the line of Roman Emperors, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to collect the Siderosi Swords/Tamurlanes Swords. That could well form a core goal of military history museum. It'd be a great prestige project, and a way to further reinforce how the Imperial Family is the ally of the soldiers. Emphasising the Siderosi as a military family is much more useful as propaganda than simple legitimisation.

Considering the threat D3 made using Ody, I expect that a large part of the wealth of Persia may well be used to fund at least a few prestige projects.

I'd be betting on Greek if for no other reason because TTL it has remained a lingua franca/ widespread language continously since the time of Alexander. Even before the Greeks reached South East Asia TTL you'd probably be able to find a handful of speakers. Then they show up ahead of the Spanish...
Ah I gotta say since castille and portugal language are quite different wouldn't it be even more confusing to spread into their holdings there? Spanish and Portuguese are quite different after all, well actually no but it still is different.

I think Odysseus' first project as Basileus should be to commission a hall of emperors going all the way back to Augustus up to him in the city of Rome to strengthen his claim to the region.
They don't need to bruh. They are the "Roman empire", all those western buffons that says their not can go to hell. The city of rome is first and foremost a legitimate claim of the continuation of the empire of the romans. The same can be said in those controlling hispania, gaul, and britannia. They are rightful roman clay.

Ah I gotta say since castille and portugal language are quite different wouldn't it be even more confusing to spread into their holdings there? Spanish and Portuguese are quite different after all, well actually no but it still is different.
This is not true.

What we consider 'Spanish' IOTL is just Castillian as it evolved throughout the early modern period in Spain through centuries of admixture with Aragonese, Andalucian, Asturian, and Catalan.

What TTL considers Spanish is Portuguese (as they are the seat of power of Spain and not Madrid) as it continues to evolve throughout the early modern period in Spain through admixture with Castilian, Asturian, Galician, and Andalucian.

IOTL the two languages evolved in two different sets of circumstances and spread out over time. This is why Galician and Portuguese are different languages, but so similar, because they had different political histories that seperated the people-groups from one another and thus prevented communication and led to separate linguistic developments. Like Scots and English. What we have ITTL is a significant period of shared-state statues between those who speak Portuguese and those who speak Castilian. Any differences that exist IOTL are inapplicable to TTL's linguistic trends. The languages are likely in the process of swapping vocabulary, standardizing grammar, and generally homogenizing with the aid of the printing press.

This is not true.

What we consider 'Spanish' IOTL is just Castillian as it evolved throughout the early modern period in Spain through centuries of admixture with Aragonese, Andalucian, Asturian, and Catalan.

What TTL considers Spanish is Portuguese (as they are the seat of power of Spain and not Madrid) as it continues to evolve throughout the early modern period in Spain through admixture with Castilian, Asturian, Galician, and Andalucian.

IOTL the two languages evolved in two different sets of circumstances and spread out over time. This is why Galician and Portuguese are different languages, but so similar, because they had different political histories that seperated the people-groups from one another and thus prevented communication and led to separate linguistic developments. Like Scots and English. What we have ITTL is a significant period of shared-state statues between those who speak Portuguese and those who speak Castilian. Any differences that exist IOTL are inapplicable to TTL's linguistic trends. The languages are likely in the process of swapping vocabulary, standardizing grammar, and generally homogenizing with the aid of the printing press.
Ah well thats nice to know. But in all likelyhood greek ttl still is more known in south east asia.

Ah well thats nice to know. But in all likelyhood greek ttl still is more known in south east asia.
That wasn't something I was addressing.

But re:Greek in SE Asia...

Lingua Francas are a funny thing. Greek was likely never used as a trade language east of Egypt until the Rhoman colonies appeared in South and South East Asia after the conquest of Egypt and its subsequent Hellenization. Those which did would not have imposed Greek as a trade tongue but instead have used that which was common in the region. In the Indian Ocean that would be Arabic, Swahili, and Persian. In SE Asia that would be Malay, Cantonese, and Javan. Greek Traders would travel along routes already dominated by Arabic-speaking peoples and these early traders were based in Rhoman Egypt. Where Greek arises as a useful niche is to facilitate trade between the Indian Ocean SE Asia using their colonies, since IOTL that niche was taken by Arabic but with the spread of Islam east lessened ITTL there isn't that pre-existing network. Arabic ITTL would be good from Egypt to India, but to get from India to SE Asia Greek could be the niche. Over time, as Egypt Hellenizes, Arabic ceases to be useful as a trade tongue for the Rhomans since the people in Egypt don't speak it anymore.

By the time Greek becomes useful as a trade language that far East to communicate with locals, or locals learning the language to communicate with traders, is probably the same time other Europeans are arriving. If anything, Europeans would be more likely to have some Greek knowledge than any other eastern language. Other Europeans would thus find Greek to be very useful in the east as something they know, and would paradoxically support its development as a trade language. The sole exception to this would be the Spanish, who'd be very likely to have Arabic speakers given their proximity to Arabic-speaking peoples in Morocco and Andalusia. The Spanish wouldn't have much reason to impose their language as a trade tongue, or use Greek, because they can just use the Arabic networks that already exist. The Spanish, despite being one of the largest European trade presences in the east, are probably having the least impact linguistically.

So in this Universe i wonder if Spinosaurus will become the big celebrity dinosaur due to egypt being under Rhoman control. Perhaps it'll have the same cultural impact T-rex had