An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Right now nothing really but once Rhome starts to fall behind during the second industrial revolution I think the lack of a united foreign policy will start to bite them especially in Italy. Im not sure exaclty how it'll go though so this system very well could keep working
How do they not have a unified foreign policy?

How do they not have a unified foreign policy?
Right now with the exeption of Egypt the despotates can make their own trade agreements and that will be a problem if Latin trade starts to eclipse Rhoman trade. I forget what update they mentioned how the despotates foreign policy works but ill look after I get home from work

Right now with the exeption of Egypt the despotates can make their own trade agreements and that will be a problem if Latin trade starts to eclipse Rhoman trade. I forget what update they mentioned how the despotates foreign policy works but ill look after I get home from work
That'll be good to see. Though trade isn't really foreign policy, at least not yet, it's typical feudal relations with other lords. All of them still war and peace with the same countries at the same time. We're still in an age where certain parts of England have their own parliaments after all. Lordships can and do negotiate with others, even outside of the bounds of their highest lord. There isn't really a concept of a 'country' yet.

Last edited:

Femto

Banned
On the topic of the despotates it seems there is a consensus that fully integrating them is an awful idea for Rhome however there are measures that can be taken to make sure they stay tied to Rhome. One of them seems to already be happening which is the encouragement of foreign immigration into the Despotates. Getting a large non coptic population in egypt that is loyal to Rhome (ala the Nile Germans) means that if Egypt tries to go its own way the amount of internal strife will be able to drag it down enough that Rhome will be able to reestablish order quite easily. Another issue with the Despotates is the lack of a fully united foreign policy. However ,I think there is a Goldylocks zone that can satisfy both Rhoman and Despotic (prolly not the right word but imma use it anyway) interests and that would be using the otl model of the Kingdom of the Netherlands which contains the Netherlands itself and It's Caribbean possessions which have a large degree of formal and cultrual independence. This gives a fully united foreign policy that also allows a large degree of Autonomy. Just a thought though lmk what you guys n gals think
There's no consensus, is just stubbornness from people who believe in the fairy tale of a loyal vassal. The optimum outcome is to have a federal empire like Germany, a Commonwealth-like empire is bullshit and his destiny is to not last.

There's no consensus, is just stubbornness from people who believe in the fairy tale of a loyal vassal. The optimum outcome is to have a federal empire like Germany, a Commonwealth-like empire is bullshit and his destiny is to not last.
Don't think anybody thinks the vassles are gonna stay perfectly loyal, its more about the cost of integrating the despotates and potentially overstreaching the empire while it should have hands free to scoop up as much of Island asia as possible

I hope soon we can get three new despotates, the despotate of Italia, the despotate of Crynica and the despotate of Illyria. Not sure how realistic it is for the first two but Im pretty sure Ilyria could become a despotate

I hope soon we can get three new despotates, the despotate of Italia, the despotate of Crynica and the despotate of Illyria. Not sure how realistic it is for the first two but Im pretty sure Ilyria could become a despotate
A despotate of Italy seems unlikely, name-wise, because it would imply a claim on the whole peninsula and the Sicilians would be a bit threatened by that.

A despotate of Italy seems unlikely, name-wise, because it would imply a claim on the whole peninsula and the Sicilians would be a bit threatened by that.
Eh not really. The historical Kingdom Italy under the Lombards and Holy Romans never included Sicily's current territory. It even joined the empire briefly while retaining said borders. Italy as the whole penninsula under one kingdom hasn't been a thing since Justinian and the Ostrogoths.

Eh not really. The historical Kingdom Italy under the Lombards and Holy Romans never included Sicily's current territory. It even joined the empire briefly while retaining said borders. Italy as the whole penninsula under one kingdom hasn't been a thing since Justinian and the Ostrogoths.
Point taken (didn't pointed out to show too much my circular way of thinking) . Although, the name seems iffy to be used by the Roman empire. given that Italy was the name of the province covering the whole peninsula (later on, if I'm not mistaken. Not a province in earlier times). No legal claim there, but names have power.

Iskander the younger is a a reluctant muslim from what I understand and quite a fan of Rhoman culture do you think we could see him take steps to do light hellenization of his empire such as switching the alphabet to greek? Additionally what if a ttl version of the Bahai faith shows up and is able to take root in the reluctantly muslim Ottoman aristocracy and convince a large portion of the population convert? Obviously there would be resistance by the muslim population but they it'll be much harder to take a stand after the war of the wrath. I wonder if @Basileus444 has given any thought about the possibility of something like the Bahai showing up ttl

Wait isn't the war of the wrath simply not massive land grab? That overextends rhome?
It isn't but the current plan is to install Iskander the Younger who bas been living in Rhome all of his life and stays muslim out of necessity. Once he is in power he's likely to put people into power who see things like him. Obviously there are going to be a bunch of holdovers from the old Shah but its defiantly going to have a large impact on the religious views of the ottoman people. Or Thats my two cents at least it's really up to Basileus444 and not me so he may have completely different plans

It isn't but the current plan is to install Iskander the Younger who bas been living in Rhome all of his life and stays muslim out of necessity. Once he is in power he's likely to put people into power who see things like him. Obviously there are going to be a bunch of holdovers from the old Shah but its defiantly going to have a large impact on the religious views of the ottoman people. Or Thats my two cents at least it's really up to Basileus444 and not me so he may have completely different plans
Is the war after that the one where the ottomans make a come back?