An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

How many years have the Romans been at near continuous war? Since 1600?

That has got to be taking a toll by now. On the economy, manpower, and probably the culture.

On the point of culture, there is going to be a large number of people growing up parentless especially in European Rhome. with amount of dickery that went on, on the route to Thessaloniki, I wouldn't be shocked if over a quarter million children are now going to be wards of the state. That will very much add a colour to the identity of the upcoming generations, and how they view the rest of the world. This was a war of them not wanting to be ruled by a foreigner and German no less, not a civil war or an invasion for land. You could see a stronger Rhoman-ese, not quite nation state but what was already considered to be Rhoman. Compounded by an large chunk of that population having their livelihoods, and futures to thank because of the government programs they grew up through. You heed the Emperor's tax/laws, RESPECT the lord's prayer (doesn't have to follow, but we will quiet judge you and not fully trust you), and speak/read/write the common greek, you too can be a Rhoman.

That's a loose pov too, I'm sure there are eventual mechanisms to be implemented to encourage Rhomanizing of new citizens.

On the point of culture, there is going to be a large number of people growing up parentless especially in European Rhome. with amount of dickery that went on, on the route to Thessaloniki, I wouldn't be shocked if over a quarter million children are now going to be wards of the state. That will very much add a colour to the identity of the upcoming generations, and how they view the rest of the world. This was a war of them not wanting to be ruled by a foreigner and German no less, not a civil war or an invasion for land. You could see a stronger Rhoman-ese, not quite nation state but what was already considered to be Rhoman. Compounded by an large chunk of that population having their livelihoods, and futures to thank because of the government programs they grew up through. You heed the Emperor's tax/laws, RESPECT the lord's prayer (doesn't have to follow, but we will quiet judge you and not fully trust you), and speak/read/write the common greek, you too can be a Rhoman.

That's a loose pov too, I'm sure there are eventual mechanisms to be implemented to encourage Rhomanizing of new citizens.
Keep in mind the famines in the Aegean are probably killing lots of babies right now and the foot shortages are preventing births due to mother's lacking nutrients to carry a child to term. Yes there will be lots of war orphans but there will probably also be less children born. It is possible this could be a venue for adoption.

Honestly - Elizabeth sitting at the table with D3 is the ONLY way that the Wittelsbach survive this war. With the Hungarian turn around, and their debt problems, they're in deep trouble and she knows it.

She may not want to stomach it, but I expect she'll agree to renounce her families claims on the Roman Empire via her, and (if the HRE is due to fall apart) she'll sacrifice that title on the altar in exchange for Roman recognition of the Wittelsbach as the rightful Emperors of Germany. Bit of a nonsense title, but a Roman-recognised Empress of Germany with Roman backing gives the Romans an additional hand in the chaos that will be the Post War HRE. Hungary, Bohemia and Bavaria being firmly under Roman influence. That's the entire SE of the HRE more or less aligned with Constantinople. (Hungary via an alliance, Bohemia under the threat of harming Ottokar, or giving him to Elizabeth, and Elizabeth as her only real lifeline economically.)

We just need Theodor to turn up so Elizabeth can overrule him. Until he is found, any treaty she signs isn't going to hold on his return.
A part of me wants a Personal Union to effectively occur between Germany and Rhomania, except with positions have effectively changed.

It would be amazing. Plus I think there is some foreshadowing of the Rhomans and the HRE going up against Henry.

A part of me wants a Personal Union to effectively occur between Germany and Rhomania, except with positions have effectively changed.

It would be amazing. Plus I think there is some foreshadowing of the Rhomans and the HRE going up against Henry.

That would be the best step in reclaiming the west. No one would be safe.

But sadly this isn't EU, and I will give mad props to B444 that he's been careful about building a world without that.

I could see the tagma of Germany be reinforced a bit to help fend off the Triunes and build roman influence in central Europe (there are still the Ottomans to deal with), but I don't know if it's implausible: a stronger United Kingdom is still far off and a shattered Germany lines up pretty nicely with "breaking the cycle".

A lot of hate built up here and both are either bled dry or close too. Peace for Rhomania, and Germany can go to hell will be the attitude of the Empire's population. Any Emperor he does not recognize that may not last long. This is setting up the Triunes for a chance to be a full equal to Rhomania. Time will tell, but war will come to Germany, internally and outside foes looking for territories. Northern Europe will be torn apart and rebuilt, what the results of that we will find out.

The result is as expected, the question is...what now?

D3 definitely wants punitive damages from the Germans, but they can't afford to pay. They're bankrupt and will have to combat a Triune invasion.
The Romans aren't really in a position to annex any territory so what else can they wring out of the headless HRE? The title of Holy Roman Emperor, whilst emotionally satisfying won't help recoup the losses caused by this war.

D3 definitely wants punitive damages from the Germans, but they can't afford to pay. They're bankrupt and will have to combat a Triune invasion.
The Romans aren't really in a position to annex any territory so what else can they wring out of the headless HRE? The title of Holy Roman Emperor, whilst emotionally satisfying won't help recoup the losses caused by this war.
They might do a Napoleon and dismantle the HRE?

Romans can't do much but watch the fireworks now. The Empire needs rest, and the last thing it needs is an expensive expedition to occupy & garnish HRE's tax income. What I see D3 doing now is to reinforce the trans-Alpine army with light cavalry and have them raid the hell out of Bavaria until Elizabeth transfers the demanded war reparations to get them to leave. I don't know how amenable D3 would be to doing that now though, since it looks like Hungary's going to go ham and eat all of Austria and possibly Bohemia.

Hecatee

Donor
Well the Romans could use manpower in lieu of cash, and settle all of their prisonners all over their lands, which should bring in enough cash to compensate while depriving the HRE from a large pool of soldiers and, more importantly, fathers... Even if we think of some 25% casualties in the battle, or even 50%, that still leaves around 30 000 men in working age that can be settled east...

Romans can't do much but watch the fireworks now. The Empire needs rest, and the last thing it needs is an expensive expedition to occupy & garnish HRE's tax income. What I see D3 doing now is to reinforce the trans-Alpine army with light cavalry and have them raid the hell out of Bavaria until Elizabeth transfers the demanded war reparations to get them to leave. I don't know how amenable D3 would be to doing that now though, since it looks like Hungary's going to go ham and eat all of Austria and possibly Bohemia.

At about the same point in history the Ottomans brought 170,000 men against Vienna. The empire might not need to do something on the same scale (80-100,000 men should suffice) but can't quite let Germany or Poland for that matter go unscathed. What is going to be the message to Latin capitals, that you can invade the Greeks any time you want and at worse you'll lose your invading army, might be raided a bit, but your kingdom will be left alone for you to try again your luck a generation from now? Nope don't think so. Demetrios didn't let Ibrahim off the hook and signed a decade long truce leaving Jerusalem to the enemy just to let the Germans and Poles off the hook. An invasion of Germany, through now friendly Hungary is coming. And the Russian states and Prussia are going to be declaring war on Poland as soon as the news of the death of Casimir and the destruction of his army reach them.

So instead of an Austrian-Hungarian empire we get a Hungarian-Austrian Empie?

:V

No cause for concern there - just auction off the German estates to the highest bidder be they upstart merchants, rich and fat clergy or insignificant lords looking to boost their standing.

A weak Germany shoud prevent that.
Conversely, Scandinavia, Prussia and Russia are hungry. Bohemia and Hungary maybe eyeing a restoration of Great Moravia and the Jagiellonian Empire respectively too.

Throwing out a crazy possibility - the 1st partition of the HRE in the 1630s by Hungary, Bohemia, Scandinavia, Prussia, Rhomaion, Russia, Vlachia and the Triunes. Perhaps the Lotharingians are compensated too with new territory after the Triune invasion.

No cause for concern there - just auction off the German estates to the highest bidder be they upstart merchants, rich and fat clergy or insignificant lords looking to boost their standing.

Conversely, Scandinavia, Prussia and Russia are hungry. Bohemia and Hungary maybe eyeing a restoration of Great Moravia and the Jagiellonian Empire respectively too.

Throwing out a crazy possibility - the 1st partition of the HRE in the 1630s by Hungary, Bohemia, Scandinavia, Prussia, Rhomaion, Russia, Vlachia and the Triunes. Perhaps the Lotharingians are compensated too with new territory after the Triune invasion.

Point taken. Although there is no Russia right now, Lithuania and Pronsk will certainly try to roll back polish conquests.

About Lotharingia if they play their cards right they can surely solidify their holdings (in Eastern Frisia and lower Saxony)