An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Basileus444, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Curtain Jerker Well-Known Member

I spent a huge chunk of my 20s uttering heretical mumbo-jumbo while drunk. Generally didn't involve cursing anyone - well, other than myself for drinking so much in the first place.

2. Vince Optimistic Pessimist

but he likes coffee and blowing stuff up. So he's a credible source. :p

3. Lascaris Well-Known Member

There are 200,000 Greeks facing 60,000 Germans out in the open without any notable entrenchments on either side. (the German siege lines are facing Thessaloniki not their rear). To apply Lanchester's square law, the whole German army would be destroyed at slightly over 9,000 casualties.

4. Curtain Jerker Well-Known Member

I agree with the spirit of this post but I'm sure the Germans/Allied built some sort of defenses for their camp. They've been there for three months after all and building defenses facing outward is par for the course for a besieging army of that era.

That being said odds are they won't do much in the grand scheme of things to alter the course of battle. The numbers are too overwhelming for field works to make a substantial difference.

Sir Omega likes this.
  5. Lascaris Well-Known Member

Sure the Germans probably have... but the beauty of the thing, at least for the imperial army, is that they don't need to attack them. By their mere presence they've cut off the German ability to forage. The Germans can either stay within their fortified camps and starve or come out and take on the relief army... which will be in the tactical defensive. Or surrender.

Duke of Nova Scotia likes this.
  6. ImperatorAlexander Well-Known Member

It’s already confirmed that cannon fire can be heard from Constantinople.
    If the Allies remain in their camp the Romans can blow the defences apart with 500+ cannons and then destroy the Allies at their pleasure.
    Or the Allies can march out and the Romans will destroy them at their pleasure.

7. Curtain Jerker Well-Known Member

I don't think D3 and his generals will play the long game and bait the Allies out of their shell around Thessaloniki simply because it is a massive strain to keep the hundreds of thousands of men in supply in the field. Even with the sealift the quartermasters are working overtime just to make sure the men don't starve. The less time this massive army is in the field the easier it is on everyone involved.

Sir Omega and minifidel like this.
  8. Babyrage Well-Known Member

Theodor’s strategy hinges on defeating the relief army to compel Thessaloniki to surrender.

He’ll march out thinking he’s only facing Torinikes with some reinforcements, then get surrounded by the full Roman Army.
    Once they’re fully engaged I suppose the Thessaloniki garrison can sally and storm the Allied camp for good measure.

9. Donald Reaver Still alive Donor

That might be dangerous if the garrison sallies, always a chance it fails and desperate troops from the Allies assault open gates. Rather use your guns and expend all your gunpowder and shot as quickly and effectively as possible.

10. TheWanderingReader Active Member

Ideas like these are sure to usher in a new age once it's all over, I'm looking forward to see how TTL's Age of Enlightenedment is going to go, the philosophical discussions are sure to be great.

As for the upcoming battle, I'm hyped. Fingers crossed Archbishop Bone breaker can survive at least, that man is a badass.

11. Babyrage Well-Known Member

If the garrison sallies that’s 20,000+ men piling into 60,000 who are busy fighting 200,000. Pretty good odds, I assume it’ll be all hands on deck once the Allies realises their situation, minimal rear guard to protect against a sally.

12. Komnenos002 asdf

While I agree with your points, I do struggle to see your conclusion.

The Allied Army is fractured and strained after a long and difficult siege. The Rhoman Army is in familiar terrain, has taken the time to surround the Allies and block off their lines of retreat. The Rhomans outnumber them four to one. The Rhomans can envelop the Allied Army even without the garrison sallying into the rear of the Allies.

Let's assume the Allied Army fights to the death. Let's assume that despite such daunting odds they inflict equal casualties on a vastly superior foe. That still leaves the Rhomans with three quarters of their army still standing compared to total obliteration.

The last several centuries have taught me to never underestimate Rhoman luck - perhaps Rhoman detachments mistake one another for the enemy and kill one another, as the Allied Army outmaneuvers blocking forces lead by blind and geriatric retirees - but even still the sheer disparity has to tell at some point.

13. Wolttaire Well-Known Member

or the spear of longius come down from the sky killing multipe key roman commanders and giving the latins a morale boost allwoing them to comeplty vanquish the roman army
    or a lucky canonball

14. JSC Member

You think too small. This battle we will finally discover that there was a systematic defect in cannon and musket production that will lead to the cannons all exploding while the muskets literally fall apart just as the Romans reach firing range. ;)

15. Duke of Nova Scotia Didn't go to Alberta to become a Millionaire.

Or an earthquake hits the via egnitia and swallows them up as they approach and thats the thunder D3 hears.

16. Βοανηργές Well-Known Member

Perhaps they will be inspired by a copy of the movie 300, sent to an alternate timeline 372 years before its production.

17. Grammar Kaiser You spelled this wrong!

Theodor: Tonight we dine in Hell gentlemen!

King Casimir: I'D RATHER BE A HERETIC THAN SATANIST! (Switches sides mid-battle).

18. Lascaris Well-Known Member

Pfff. The spear is securely in Constantinople. Ok the tip has been stolen by the crusaders and is in Paris... but this will be taken care of in due time.

Duke of Nova Scotia likes this.
  19. Wolttaire Well-Known Member

well... what about the one in Austria
    Then more likely a hidden relief army/navy will ride in and save the day or infighting in the army will allow them to win, the empoer will due some stupid assualts that make the forces equal or russia will delcare war on them for reasons

20. Lascaris Well-Known Member

That's obviously not the real one!