Chapter One: The Election of 1800
As a young, avid writer of Alternate History, I have written numerous timelines in my free time. However, I have never had the confidence to post them to this site, but I finally have a timeline I feel excited and proud enough to post here. I hope you enjoy.

President John Adams's shocking reelection in 1800 proved a lot of things. For starters, it proved how powerful the de facto Federalist Party leader Alexander Hamilton truly was. It also proved how the way elections worked then was, to put it bluntly, very stupid. Alexander Hamilton, who despised the President Adams, had made plans to write a long Anti-Adams polemic. However, his friend Mr. Rufus King had reminded him of the consequences that such an action would lead to. King's letter to Hamilton read like this:

"Mr. Hamilton, I feel your letter would be catastrophic for the efforts you are attempting to accomplish. I know of your plan, but I fear the letter falling into the hands of the press[1]. Such a long and detailed letter criticizing the President would potentially turn the favor of New York towards the Vice President and Mr. Burr. I cannot fathom the catastrophe that would play out if Burr ever achieved the office of Presidency. I ask, as a friend and partner, that you scrap the letter and let the lesser of two evils win the Presidency. For all of us, for the party, for your goals.
Your friend,
R. King"

Hamilton sat there at thought about King's letter. He was right. "Adams' Presidency has been a disaster, but a Burr Presidency, I cannot imagine how terrible that would be," Hamilton muttered to himself. It was hard for Hamilton to scrap the 54 pages of work he had written, but it was for the best. Plus, Hamilton's scheme would still be able to work.

Adams received word of his victory in New York. He was ecstatic...at first. But then he remembered if he won Pinckney must've tied with him, and he was correct. The final vote tally was 77 votes for Adams, 77 for Pinckney, 61 for Jefferson, and 61 for Burr. The 1801 Contingent Election wasn't close, despite Hamilton's efforts. Adams' home state of Massachusetts went for him following a tie for the first 3 ballots. Also for Adams was the entire south besides South Carolina. Adams, as the lesser of two evils, was the natural choice for the south, and even more so following the endorsement of Jefferson [2], even if Pinckney was a good southern man. Pennsylvania and Maryland also followed. Vermont and New Hampshire were less radically Federalist than southern New England, and thus voted for the more moderate John Adams. Pinckney only won his home state, Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York (And even then, he only won New York because of Hamilton pulling a few strings).

The election proved Hamilton's power was waning. He already had plans for 1804 the nominate someone more radical like Pinckney or King in order to get control over the party back, but for now he had to step to the side. Adams had just won re election, albeit with an unfriendly Congress. Jefferson, crushed by his loss, would not make another attempt at the Presidency. However, Jefferson was still active in D-R politics, mostly serving as the de facto leader and "wise man" that party men would go to for advice.
1646448687144.png

[1] This is what happened OTL
[2] Burr made no such endorsement

Chapter Two: The Second Term of John Adams
The President, sadly (or luckily), did not have the support of Congress for his second term in office. Jefferson won the popular vote in a landslide (although when most states do not have a popular vote system for Presidential elections in place, that is not saying much), and the D-R controlled state legislatures elected D-Rs to the Senate. It is due to this reason that the 2nd term of John Adams was not eventful. The Alien and Sedition Acts were not renewed, due to their main purpose being fulfilled (prevent the Quasi War from escalating) and the massive D-R majority in both chambers. However, Adams' second term still had some pretty major events.

New Orleans was a very nice city. It was the main hub for trade coming from the Mississippi River, and many D-Rs and the President really wanted it. Adams and Secretary of State John Marshall approached France with an offer of 2.5 million dollars for the city itself. Napoleon, who had little interest in the mostly uninhabited area of Louisiana, offered the US the entire Louisiana territory for 3.5 million. Adams heavily debated the purchase of all of Louisiana. On one hand, it would nearly double the size of the country, on the other hand, it would kill the Federalists politically, as the territory was better suited for farming over trading. This was a fear that most of the party agreed with, until Alexander Hamilton came up with a scheme. Hamilton was going to make New Orleans the Boston of the south. Louisiana itself was more favorable to tariffs, as they helped the sugar industry, and Hamilton was going to promote further trade into the Caribbean and Mexico. However, the main part of the plan was encouraging members of the Federalist elite to set up residence in New Orleans, and thus control the legislature. Following that, the rest of Louisiana territory would be split into smaller territories to try and prevent further D-R voting farmers from voting in elections.

However the D-Rs saw through the scheme, and since they had the votes, rejected the plans for division of Louisiana. However, Orleans territory composing of New Orleans and southern (OTL) Louisiana was created as a compromise. Adams's handling of the purchase received scrutiny from both sides, and he, and his supporters, began to become more and more distasteful of Adams.

Let's rewind to 1801. Adams needed to fill the vacancy in the supreme court left by the resignation of Chief Justice Ellsworth. Adams had considered many options such as Rufus King, John Marshall, Charles Lee. But he then realized the massive D-R majority in the Senate would mean no attempts to get a Federalist on the court would work. So, President Adams, in a sign of protest simply refused to nominate a justice. Thus, there was a vacancy on the court for 3 entire years.

Another one of Adams's proudest achievements was the Barbary Wars. He was itching for an excuse to use the Navy he'd created, and the opportunity presented itself when the Barbary Pirates of the Maghreb began raiding American ships. Adams sent a small fleet to fight off these pirates, and with the support of Sweden and Sicily [2], fought off the pirates. The victory over the pirates led to Adams' public image being repaired a bit, at least in the eyes of merchants and politicians.

Adams left the Presidency proud of his work, and he is seen positively in the eyes of historians. This is mostly due to successfully fighting off the Barbary Pirates and the purchasing of Louisiana. He is still scrutinized for the Alien and Sedition Acts, however his supporters do like to bring up him not wanting to renew the acts.

[1] This is OTL

Last edited:
Chapter Three: The Elections of 1804
1804 was an incredibly important year for American politics. Not only was it a Presidential election year, but it also held a very important Gubernatorial election in New York. But first, let's start with the Presidential Election. Federalist leaders met to discuss their official nominee in a Congressional nominating caucus. Hamilton declined to run, so it was mostly a battle between Adamites and Hamiltonians. The Adamites preferred candidate was Secretary of State John Marshall, while the Hamiltonians preferred Vice President C.C. Pinckney. Despite Adams and his supporters best efforts, Pinckney was to be the official nominee for President. For Vice President, Rufus King of New York was selected. New York was a key swing state, and King certainly held some influence there.

The D-Rs meanwhile, were more united. It was mostly between James Madison and Vice Presidential candidate George Clinton. Jefferson convinced Madison to back down however, as Jefferson believed George Clinton, a northerner very popular and influential in New York, would be better for geographic balance. Madison reluctantly agreed to back down in exchange for Secretary of State were Clinton to win. For Vice President, Senator John Breckinridge[1] from Kentucky was selected, as he was popular in both the south and out west.

A new amendment reforming the way Elections were held was ratified in late June [2] and the election saw fierce campaigning and competition in New York. Bribes, backroom deals, everything. Meanwhile, Pinckney desperately tried to get his home state to vote Federalist, however it was in vain. George Clinton won in a landslide:
1647119199527.png

Now, the 1804 Election was not the only major election to take place this year. In New York, Senator Aaron Burr made an attempt for the Governorship. He was opposed by fellow D-R Morgan Lewis. In order to win, Burr reached out to the Federalist Party for an endorsement. Hamilton vehemently opposed this idea, and begged the Federalists not to do it. In order to get around Hamilton, Burr approached the Essex Junto. The Essex Junto was a Federalist Radical group with a large chunk of its members supporting total New English secession from the Union. Timothy Pickering offered Burr an endorsement, and in exchange for said endorsement, Burr would have New York secede with New England, were it to secede. Burr accepted this and gained the favor of many Federalists. Hamilton could see his power waning more and more, and to his horror Burr did in fact win the Governorship. Quickly Hamilton set to work trying to dig up as much dirt on Burr as possible, and he would discover the backroom deal with the Essex Junto. Hamilton smiled as he realized he could destroy Burr's political career.

[1] Grandfather of the Vice President
[2] Same 12th Amendment as OTL

President George Clinton? Now I want to see a scenario where George, DeWitt, Bill, and Hillary Clinton all become presidents, causing the widespread but false belief that the former two and latter two are related