Amusing photos of historical figures

um

._.

right then.

Meant that in the sort of friendly way one might view there ideological enemies. I disagree completely with Powell’s views on Immigration, and the rivers of blood speech was alarmist in the extreme, but I don’t think that he was a racist like some people do. (at least, not from what I have read, if there is something I have missed that makes it obvious he was a racist I would like to see it, and then adjust my views accordingly) It was just the image of this odd man (and Enoch Powel was indeed odd) teaching small children how to use a pogo stick is endearing to me.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Meant that in the sort of friendly way one might view there ideological enemies. I disagree completely with Powell’s views on Immigration, and the rivers of blood speech was alarmist in the extreme, but I don’t think that he was a racist like some people do. (at least, not from what I have read, if there is something I have missed that makes it obvious he was a racist I would like to see it, and then adjust my views accordingly) It was just the image of this odd man (and Enoch Powel was indeed odd) teaching small children how to use a pogo stick is endearing to me.
The strong indication was that Powell was more opposed to Immigration (on a tangent, his views on the Empire are fascinating) then race, however he was a demagogue who used people's racism and fear of 'others' to stir them up.

All I'll say is that, while there are some less than savory aspects of the speech, I don't think (nor do must of Powell's contemporaries in the Labor Party) he was a racist. Now, onto the topic at hand, I offer this recent historical example:

michele-bachmann-corndog.jpg

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Of course we can't forget that Ed Miliband has difficulties eating Bacon Sarnies;
milibandbacon-477294.jpg

And hey, how do you smear your opponent Labour circa 2010? Indicate his polices will take us back to the 1980's? Brilliant! Yes, but how do we convey that? By using one of the most popular characters on Television as the short hand? Genius!

_47582724_cameronhunt466.jpg

I chuckled when I saw this photo of Nicholas II sharing a smoke with Grand Duchess Anastasia.

article-2321790-19B123DF000005DC-489_634x489.jpg

...then I remembered they were both shot two years after it was taken.

Very, very disturbing Photoshoped Richard Nixon
10062235905_1604be1c45.jpg

And laid back Nixon
88ee59c3832aa7ca7f594b56d973b042.jpg

Apparently, during his Wartime Naval service he was actually popular with his men!?