America's Silver Era, The Story of William Jennings Bryan

For the 5 year anniversary of me starting this thread, I decided to go with something different.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt served as a US representative from New York from 1919 to 1924 when he was appointed to the Supreme Court by President David Walsh. He joined the majority when he sided against ex-president William Randolph Hearst in Hearst v. United States [1] in 1926. He died shortly after his retirement in 1949.

Joseph Stalin was active in the failed Communist revolution in Russia. He betrayed his comrades and worked for the government. Despite his native Georgia becoming independent, Stalin stayed in Russia after his release from prison. His political beliefs drifted towards the right and he advocated for Georgian inclusion in pan-Slavic nationalism. He died in 1961.

Adolf Hitler was an Austrian writer and journalist. He also dabbled in art. He wrote in favor of German nationalism and Austrian inclusion in a greater German Reich. He died in 1960.

Albert Einstein was a famous German scientist. His genius was partly responsible for why Germany was the first country to develop nuclear weapons. He died in 1955.

Winston Churchill was a long-time Conservative MP. He was an advocate for military preparedness against the threat of Adolphe Cartier's French Worker's Republic. He died in 1965.

Who else do you want to know about?

1: This case, discussed in the chapter "President Hearst" was a 7-2 decision where Clarence Darrow and John Davis were the only dissenters.
Herbert Hoover
Harry S Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Thomas Dewey
Earl Warren
Lyndon Baines Johnson
John F. Kennedy
Robert F. Kennedy

I’m curious as to the fate of Tsar Nicolas II’s children, like Anastasia. Unless I’m mistaken, all of them, except maybe Alexi, should have been born before the POD or born so close to it and so far removed from it as to probably not be immediately butterflied away.

Last edited:
Herbert Hoover
Harry S Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Thomas Dewey
Earl Warren
Lyndon Baines Johnson
John F. Kennedy
Robert F. Kennedy

Nixon, Dewey, Johnson and the Kennedys are butterflied, since they were born after the POD, but 1968 VP Brendan O'Reilly looks the same as John Kennedy.

Hoover was President 1936-1944 and he led America during the Second Great War(TTL WWII, basically being TTL FDR).

I’m curious as to the fate of Tsar Nicolas II’s children, like Anastasia. Unless I’m mistaken, all of them, except maybe Alexi, should have been born before the POD or born so close to it and so far removed from it as to probably not be immediately butterflied away.

Anastasia and Alexey were born after the born. Not quite sure about Maria.

Checking again and actually Olga was born already prior POD but I am not sure about Tatyana. Other Nicholas' children were born after POD.

Checking again and actually Olga was born already prior POD but I am not sure about Tatyana. Other Nicholas' children were born after POD.

Olga is the current Tsarina by 1968.

While Tatiana was born in 1897, I can’t imagine her birth would be in any way effected by the POV due to how removed late 19th century Russia is from the politics of America, which at this point is more of a insignificant minor power on the world stage. To be honest, I could even imagine most of the other kids born at least five years after the POD also being born for the same reasons, even if their births are probably more questionable than Tatiana’s.

Herbert Hoover
As @Nelson Mikeson said, served as president during TTL WWII. During his presidency America left the Great Depression and the civil rights movement began to really gain momentum.
Harry S Truman
Secretary of Agriculture under Charles Bryan.
Dwight Eisenhower
General during TTL WWII, fought in West Africa, Spain, and France. Died in 1969.
Richard Nixon
Born after POD
Thomas Dewey
Born after POD
Earl Warren
Supreme Court justice appointed by Alf Landon in 1948. Still alive.
Lyndon Baines Johnson
John F. Kennedy
Robert F. Kennedy
Born after POD. The Kennedy family is a lot less influential than in TTL.
Olga was born before the POD, and has been the Tsarina for almost three decades. She is still alive but nearing the end of her life. For the other children, similar but different people with the same names exist. Alexei died during the 1930s so he never got to be tsar.

What is American Animation like ITTL? If we’re going by the Born after PoD rule, then I presume Disney doesn’t exist then?
Disney doesn't exist. America is currently the largest producer of animated films and TV shows. I haven't given this much thought, but I might cover it in the future.

Era of Optimism
Ryan Norwood Entered 1970 with over 70% approval ratings. America had just won the Third Great War. He gave a speech in San Francisco to returning veterans, congratulating them for their bravery and courage, while declaring that America, Britain, and Russia would work together to create a new era of peace in the world. Few Americans held negative views of Britain, but the same could not be said about Russia. There was a significant minority of the population who felt like the war was a mistake and that Americans had died to empower Russia by removing its main competitor in Europe. Organized isolationist and even pro-German sentiment existed, primarily among Republicans in the Midwest, even if most who shared their views opted to remain quiet for now.

But there were many who were growing increasingly concerned about Russia’s rise, as the country had massively expanded its sphere of influence in Europe and Asia. The rise of Russia to dominate Europe and Asia was something that former President George Patton had talked about for decades, though his warnings mostly fell on death ears. Even among Norwood’s advisors, there were those who were wary of Russia and predicted that the Eurasian power would become America’s main competitor. A growing faction within the government argued for the need to contain Russia, and stressed the need to maybe go easy on Germany and Japan. But Norwood envisioned a future of cooperation between Washington and Saint Petersburg.

America, along with most other countries, sent most of its troops home after the war, and reduced its military budget. However, America would use the German scientists it captured to try to build a nuclear weapon. This was of course kept a top secret, but by the time Norwood left office America (and Russia) had the atomic bomb. Technology was rapidly advancing, and the government played a key role in funding research for both military and civilian technology. The 1970s would also see the establishment of an American space program. America’s economy had returned to normal, and people were on average content. With the disastrous 1960s with its doomsday cults, depression, race riots, and global war in the rear-view mirror, Americans, and people in most countries, were optimistic about the future. Sure, spillover conflict from the Third Great war raged on in the Balkans, and a small number Porcherites continued to fleece their dwindling congregations, but the future looked bright. When Ryan Norwood said at a campaign stop in 1971 that America’s best days were ahead, most people believed him.