american political dynasties?

jorawar1987

Banned
lets say there were political dynasties in usa from the beginning of the republic to the present day and by dynasties i mean something like the gandhi family of india. they would control the entire party as their personal property and prevent anyone who isn't supported by them from achieving anything in the party.
tell me your ideas.

kernals12

Banned
lets say there were political dynasties in usa from the beginning of the republic to the present day and by dynasties i mean something like the gandhi family of india. they would control the entire party as their personal property and prevent anyone who isn't supported by them from achieving anything in the party.
tell me your ideas.
I think Virginia had this under Harry Byrd for a while.

CatalanKing

Banned
tell me your ideas.

I could see a Lincoln Political Dynasty post civil war that keeps radicals out of office.

tell me your ideas.
Probably good to keep in mind that Ghandi, the barefooted guy in robes, had no relation whatsoever to the female Prime Minister, who was related to Nehru. Ghandi was just a name that was in her family as well. And I don't feel that they exactly fulfill the criteria you are mentioning. Perhaps you should look into political machines like Tammany Hall. In the US you can't get one family getting completely dominance over a state, let alone a party. It will take a strong, popular person to get such public support, and it will not just pass on to their kids or brothers.

I could see a Lincoln Political Dynasty post civil war that keeps radicals out of office.
They didn't exactly have many Lincoln's and when one was seen as being a possible contender for the Reoublican nomination, there were stuff about him being a small man trying to fill Lincoln's big coat. Lincoln was a giant and, like Washington, were rather tough acts for anyone to follow.

CatalanKing

Banned
They didn't exactly have many Lincoln's and when one was seen as being a possible contender for the Reoublican nomination, there were stuff about him being a small man trying to fill Lincoln's big coat. Lincoln was a giant and, like Washington, were rather tough acts for anyone to follow.

Yes, but still, the name holds a lot of honor and respect and many people will support them just out of respect for the legend. And who is to say we don't have Lincoln have a few more children pre-civil war.

Yes, but still, the name holds a lot of honor and respect and many people will support them just out of respect for the legend. And who is to say we don't have Lincoln have a few more children pre-civil war.
Not everyone WANTS to be a leader. Heck, Lincoln had four sons, spaced out a few years between each other and not leaving more much room for other kids, given that breastfeeding means that a woman's body keeps its fertility down so as to not get pregnant when still caring for their child during infancy. If you can get them all alive, and have them get various careers involving public service you can have them be seen as dignitaries, but they will not reach the level of Abraham Lincoln. There were few other criseses in the country's history that... well, I probably should speculate on people who didn't make it to adulthood. No telling what direction they would have gone in. Would remove some of the tragedy that was in the family.

Now, you can probably do something after the 1900 mark, just for a generation or so, with the Long Family. The Kingfish was a big fish in a small pond.

jorawar1987

Banned
Not everyone WANTS to be a leader. Heck, Lincoln had four sons, spaced out a few years between each other and not leaving more much room for other kids, given that breastfeeding means that a woman's body keeps its fertility down so as to not get pregnant when still caring for their child during infancy. If you can get them all alive, and have them get various careers involving public service you can have them be seen as dignitaries, but they will not reach the level of Abraham Lincoln. There were few other criseses in the country's history that... well, I probably should speculate on people who didn't make it to adulthood. No telling what direction they would have gone in. Would remove some of the tragedy that was in the family.

Now, you can probably do something after the 1900 mark, just for a generation or so, with the Long Family. The Kingfish was a big fish in a small pond.

Well after the 1900 the usa has 3 dynasties.the ressovelts. The keenedies and the bush.

jorawar1987

Banned
Probably good to keep in mind that Ghandi, the barefooted guy in robes, had no relation whatsoever to the female Prime Minister, who was related to Nehru. Ghandi was just a name that was in her family as well. And I don't feel that they exactly fulfill the criteria you are mentioning. Perhaps you should look into political machines like Tammany Hall. In the US you can't get one family getting completely dominance over a state, let alone a party. It will take a strong, popular person to get such public support, and it will not just pass on to their kids or brothers.

Actualy she was the defacto adopted daughter.
The story goes the only reason pandit nehru was forces to agree to indra agandhi ji love marriage because gandhi ji declared her his daughter and arm twisted him into agring to the marriage.

You'd probably need a stronger south, since that's where the American aristocracy general resided. As for specifics, the Lee family might not be a bad option for this kind of timeline. They arrived in the colonies in the 1600s and had a long history of involvement in colonial government. Richard Henry Lee was involved in the continental congress and served as a senator. If the confederacy had won the civil war the Lees could probably have stuck around and formed a political dynasty. Especially since Jefferson Davis was maternally related to them and they had ties to the family of George Washington, giving them legitimacy.

Would a Hamilton-screw that takes him out as head of the Federalist Party lead to either the Pickney's or Adams' (I'm assuming that JQA would become a Federalist ITL like his father) becoming the head of those parties and go from there?

There’s been plenty of dynasties. The Adams, Harrisons, Roosevelts, Bushes are just the ones that manage to get the presidencies within the same close family. The problem is that the size of the country and the federal system encourages a very fragmented system when it comes to dynasties. Someone mentioned the Kennedys, who are only a dynasty in MA (one national victory does not a dynasty make). Every state has its own political dynasties, and many major cities do, as well. So, when you have so many competiting for so few spots on the federal level, its easy to forget they’re there.

But I bet that if you pick any state at random, you’ll find at least three local families that can be called dynasties.

PhilippeO

Banned
. The problem is that the size of the country and the federal system encourages a very fragmented system when it comes to dynasties. Someone mentioned the Kennedys, who are only a dynasty in MA (one national victory does not a dynasty make). Every state has its own political dynasties, and many major cities do, as well. So, when you have so many competiting for so few spots on the federal level, its easy to forget they’re there. But I bet that if you pick any state at random, you’ll find at least three local families that can be called dynasties.

Seconded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_political_families

so they were related both by blood and marriage.
I think the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think the Roosevelts were the sort of political dynasty you are looking for given the two members who rose to power were really distantly related to one another,and not the sort of political dynasty where it's tightly knit and each member supported one another.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think the Roosevelts were the sort of political dynasty you are looking for given the two members who rose to power were really distantly related to one another,and not the sort of political dynasty where it's tightly knit and each member supported one another.

Even if you regard them as separate couldn't you arguably qualify both the Roosevelt families as a political dynasty on their own?