Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that sounds like a good idea, to be honest. Giving the POV of someone who lived under Nazi rule will help to remind/show people just how cruel the Nazi regime was, and just how important it is to never let a similar group rise to power again. I imagine quite a few historians would be interested in funding it, plus you'd have various groups who also suffered similar circumstances contributing as well.

Do you think it would work best as an evening PBS special?

So I have a possible PoD that leads Hepburn to do this. In '79 Karl Carstens became President of West Germany. In 1940, he joined the Nazi Party for political reasons and served in an anti-artillery division during WW2. Now he doesn't really need to be any different than reality or actually act like a Nazi, but if he had one rather bad gaffe that Hepburn happened to notice, that could drive her to become more politically aware. In the same year, the Khmer Rouge committed several notable atrocities while at war with Vietnam, which could draw her attention to that.

I like the idea of them being PBS specials. It could be a series that airs every three months with a different crisis in a different part of the world with hotlines set up for donations.

I could see these becoming a pretty big deal.

Elsewhere in politics, how should Jimmy Carter solve the Iranian hostage crisis, and how should he respond to Carstens' acension to the West German presidency? Is he still doomed to be a one term POTUS?

Elsewhere in politics, how should Jimmy Carter solve the Iranian hostage crisis, and how should he respond to Carstens' acension to the West German presidency? Is he still doomed to be a one term POTUS?
Economics is a bigger killer that those international effects and seems Post Vietnam and post oil shock recession will still happen, and if Reagan not pull a nixon and boycott the hostage alongside bush sr...it would be the hostages liberated early...but economics might cost him badly.

So as a warning, I am kind of a huge fan of the Kennedys so if you don't want to go with this, just ignore it as the ramblings of a Kennedy fan, but what if Ted Kennedy could make a successful run for the presidency in 1980? I made a thread about it today (from what I was able to achieve in a game simulating elections) and big changes in culture could reverberate in politics by having slightly different things happen. What if Ted Kennedy never had the Mudd interview? Or what if it goes better? He could take the Dem nomination and go on to become the 40th President of the United States.

I think having Ted Kennedy be POTUS during the '80s would be pretty significant to the culture of the time and the time afterwards. Really, such a small thing could have greatly changed this country that I think if there were to be any major political changes ITTL it'd be right about here.

Pretty sure he's doomed even if he saves the hostages. The economy is the big killer, here. Rescuing the hostages should still be possible, though. At least part of the reason why Eagle Claw failed was because of bad luck, with another reason being the commander aborting the mission while there was still a chance of success. Better luck with the conditions of the helicopters should allow for a successful Eagle Claw. As for Carstens' ascension, it might be a good idea to offer support. From what I know, he was not a bad man, and his reason for joining the Nazi party was so he could work as a clerk, I believe.

Economics is a bigger killer that those international effects and seems Post Vietnam and post oil shock recession will still happen, and if Reagan not pull a nixon and boycott the hostage alongside bush sr...it would be the hostages liberated early...but economics might cost him badly.

So what could Carter do about the economics if he expects to be re-elected?

BTW, here are the Republican primary candidates...

Ronald Reagan (California)
George HW Bush (Texas)
Richard M Nixon (California)
Bob Dole (Kansas)
Evan Mecham (Arizona)
John Connaly (Texas)
Pete Du Pont (Delaware)
Jack Kemp (New York)
HJ Heinz III (Pennsylvania)
John Danforth (Missouri)

Democratic primary candidates...

Ted Kennedy (Massachusetts)
Jerry Brown (California)
Michael Dukakis (Massachusetts)
Cliff Finch (Mississippi)
Scoop Jackson (Washington)
Bruce Babbitt (Arizona)
Bob Byrd (West Virginia)
Mo Udall (Arizona)
John Glenn (Ohio)
Tom Bradley (California)
Adlai Stevenson III (Illinois)
Coleman Young (Michigan)

The OTL late 70's stagflation was product a lot of things, when some regulations did harm(specially agro and travell) others did not(finance, industry) but support for producers, a more expansive(aka radical) monetary policy and maybe trying to reduce oil gap before 80's oil collapse(or help to acelerated) will help, slowly but will help.

Ronald Reagan might just take the election here, especially since film is even bigger here. As for what Carter can do about the economy, pretty much what Nivek said, though I would add that the Progress City idea might help, producing jobs in the Rust Belt.

Ronald Reagan might just take the election here, especially since film is even bigger here. As for what Carter can do about the economy, pretty much what Nivek said, though I would add that the Progress City idea might help, producing jobs in the Rust Belt.

Speaking of Progress City, I'm still trying to find a place to do it. One suggestion was Pennsylvania, but would Pittsburgh be a good place or another PA town? Would Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati or maybe Indianapolis also benefit from a Progress City?

If we're bringing Jimmy Carter into the equation, than might ITTL Habitat For Humanity use the Progress City model for reconstructing disaster areas?

Don't forget that the Orion founders are still at UA in TTL. Thus, UA will also have Blake Edwards' movie 10 and will import Monty Python's Life of Brian to the US. And don't forget Caddyshack in 1980. The rest of the OTL Orion titles from this period could go to Hemdale ITTL.
Do you you think a a succesfull uhf at hemdale could cause the company to surrive past 1995

Last edited by a moderator:
@OldNavy1988
Pittsburgh is a good place to start, I think. All of those areas would probably benefit, though.

@Roger Redux
Ooh, now there's an idea. While I doubt he'll get re-elected, that would probably be a good idea anyway, and Disney and Habitat for Humanity could work together on that.

Apocalypse Now
"During a summer dominated by Muppets, Xenomorphs and Rocky Balboa, one film stood out. Apocalypse Now, the Francis Ford Coppola-helmed Vietnam War epic that was years in the making is now his biggest hit since The Godfather Part II. With a strong cast that includes Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper, Apocalypse Now is the polar opposite of many of the clean, romanticized war films of the past and present. Thanks to the positive reception among critics and audiences, it is on track to give MGM's Napoleon some much needed competition in next year's Oscars."

Snippet from a Hollywood trade magazine; August 1979.

Well Nice Apocalypse Now goes without issues, turner might get happy how the studio is paying itself..why Carolco just not become a division among turner? they got support and independance but are under Turner-UA umbrella?

Well Nice Apocalypse Now goes without issues, turner might get happy how the studio is paying itself..why Carolco just not become a division among turner? they got support and independance but are under Turner-UA umbrella?

That may be possible, but don't forget that Miramax will be around ITTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.