Status
Not open for further replies.
Entertainment News for early January 1995
@HonestAbe1809 True, but he'll need a string of hits to prove to PepsiCo's brass that he didn't need their approval. So far, Norris has come to Jim Carrey's aid when Jim locked himself in his trailer demanding a switch of directors for Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. Either Steve Oedekerk can still do it, or that could be Brad Silberling's consolation prize after Roy Disney fired the latter from Casper a week before principal photography. If Oedekerk gets the Ace job, Silberling will have to fight Tony Scott, Dan O'Bannon and Joe Dante for the Godzilla meets King Kong job.

@Goldwind2 More than anything, I think Terry is happy to get away from Trump.

New Line's Dumb and Dumber exceeds expectations at BO, second behind Disney's Dark Empire.
- Variety.

RUMOR: Universal, 3 other studios in talks with Broderbund for film rights to the popular Carmen Sandiego game show franchise.
- The Boston Globe.

Nirvana, back at full strength, will return to the studio to record new album set for Spring '96.
- Seattle Post Intelligencer.

If singing is really neccessary Anthony Head would be a good choice for the Phantom. I just think that an out-of-the-blue musical would be rather jarring.
On the Phantom, could the story work without songs?
It's The Phantom of the Opera...for it not to be a musical would weird at best and heresy at worst!
RUMOR: Universal, 3 other studios in talks with Broderbund for film rights to the popular Carmen Sandiego game show franchise.
^_^

@OldNavy1988

I think Oedekerk would be a good choice for Ace Ventura. Plus Norris weighing in on Carey's side might make him receptive to making more films for RKO. Which might result in the string of hit movies Norris needs.
It's The Phantom of the Opera...for it not to be a musical would weird at best and heresy at worst!

The Lon Chaney film is considered a masterpiece despite having no sound at all. The story had been adapted into decades worth of films by the time that Webber made his musical. It still feels weird to shoehorn a musical into into a prexisting film series.

@OldNavy1988

I think Oedekerk would be a good choice for Ace Ventura. Plus Norris weighing in on Carey's side might make him receptive to making more films for RKO. Which might result in the string of hit movies Norris needs.

The Lon Chaney film is considered a masterpiece despite having no sound at all. The story had been adapted into decades worth of films by the time that Webber made his musical. It still feels weird to shoehorn a musical into into a prexisting film series.
Yeah. I feel like having a musical randomly thrown into a line of action horor flicks would be a bit bizarre.

TBD

A Kid in King Arthur's Court (Disney or ABC)

Tank Girl (Turner, Grand Diamond, Hemdale or RKO)​

A Troll in Central Park (DiC, Grand Diamond, RKO, Hemdale, Turner or ABC)
Pebble and the Penguin (DiC, Grand Diamond, RKO, Hemdale, Turner or ABC)

Canadian Bacon (ABC, Grand Diamond, Hemdale, Trump or RKO)​

Chronicles of Narnia
Thumbelina

If you have any ideas for titles to fill out the list, you're welcome to contribute.​

Give Canadian Bacon to Grand Diamond or Screen Gems (If SG is doing motion pictures as of right now), A Kid in King Arthur's Court should go to ABC, Troll In Central Park, Pebble and the Penguin should go to DiC, Thumbelina should go to DiC or CBS, and Chronicles of Narnia should go to Turner

Give Canadian Bacon to Grand Diamond or Screen Gems (If SG is doing motion pictures as of right now), A Kid in King Arthur's Court should go to ABC, Troll In Central Park, Pebble and the Penguin should go to DiC, Thumbelina should go to DiC or CBS, and Chronicles of Narnia should go to Turner

Any other titles I should add to the list?

I honestly thought it was an opera/stage production first (though possibly based on a book), and that Webber just re-popularized it. It just seems to fit so perfectly that story about opera and opera singers should be one itself, that it didn't occur to me that it hadn't always been one.

(Also one could argue that "silent" films count as musicals, because even before they were able to sync records with the projector there was generally a band/orchestra (or at least a guy on a piano) playing the score.)

Who currently owns the rights to Harry Potter; also Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong should be made at RKO ITTL.

Philosopher's Stone won't come out in the UK for another two years, so the HP property will be up for grabs once that hits store shelves. Also, I am not sure what to give Peter Jackson to do before he does the King Kong remake in 2005.

Of his OTL projects? The Truman Show and Man on the Moon. He was also in the running for roles in Hitchhiker's Guide and Jetsons adaptations.

Truman Show and Man on the Moon would be good. Hitchhiker's too. Since the Jetsons came out in '87 ITTL, and the Flintstones last year, I wonder which classic HB role he could do.

Philosopher's Stone won't come out in the UK for another two years, so the HP property will be up for grabs once that hits store shelves. Also, I am not sure what to give Peter Jackson to do before he does the King Kong remake in 2005.

Truman Show and Man on the Moon would be good. Hitchhiker's too. Since the Jetsons came out in '87 ITTL, and the Flintstones last year, I wonder which classic HB role he could do.

Simply put have RKO be the distributor for The Frighteners instead of Universal. I'd also say give Harry Potter to either Universal or Disney ITTL. Jim Carrey would be a good Shaggy tbh

- The Boston Globe.

Oh dear. The concept doesn't lend itself well to a movie at all.

Nirvana, back at full strength, will return to the studio to record new album set for Spring '96.
- Seattle Post Intelligencer.

At least this is good to hear.

Does the Mighty Ducks franchise still exist at Disney ITTL or did Steve Brill pitch the idea somewhere else instead?

Simply put have RKO be the distributor for The Frighteners instead of Universal. I'd also say give Harry Potter to either Universal or Disney ITTL. Jim Carrey would be a good Shaggy tbh
Reading this gave me the mental image of a Harry Potter themed ride at one of the various Disneylands that looks like Hogwarts. And that combined with TTL’s version of Tommorowland having a lot of Star Wars themeing gave me the mental image of the Jedi Temple, Aurora’s Castle, and Hogwarts all being in walking distance of each other.

And that is a wonderful mental image, no matter what we’re ultimately decide.

- The Boston Globe.

A Carmen Sandiego movie? Well, not a likely possibility, but it still sounds cool as heck! :D

Does the Mighty Ducks franchise still exist at Disney ITTL or did Steve Brill pitch the idea somewhere else instead?

The Mighty Ducks exists at ABC/Hanna-Barbera but in "I'm Going to Disney World", the sports TL that takes place concurrently with this one, the NHL franchise named after the film has been butterflied. Southern California is instead served by the Los Angeles Kings (1967 expansion) and San Diego Gulls (absorbed from the WHA in the late 70s).

Reading this gave me the mental image of a Harry Potter themed ride at one of the various Disneylands that looks like Hogwarts. And that combined with TTL’s version of Tommorowland having a lot of Star Wars themeing gave me the mental image of the Jedi Temple, Aurora’s Castle, and Hogwarts all being in walking distance of each other.

And that is a wonderful mental image, no matter what we’re ultimately decide.

I won't make any promises, but HP could end up being made elsewhere, but still pop up at either of the major park chains. So far, Disney, Paramount, Universal and Six Flags are the heavyweights of the theme park scene with Premier Parks a distant fifth and Cedar Fair much, much lower.

Sorry for the late response.

Regarding HHGTTG I was originally thinking 1998 but 1997 might be better if Men In Black still comes out then, making it the year of the competing sci-fi comedy adaptations. As for directors, Joe Dante might be a good candidate. For Zaphod, while I like the suggestion of Rowan Atkinson Rik Mayall would be my pick.

Is Bushwacked still an original plot or does it stay a Marv from Home Alone spin-off? Not that would make it any better, mind you.

For Jim Carrey & Hanna-Barbera, Dastardly & Muttley or Funky Phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.