Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine something like Pacific Rim a couple decades earlier.
How about a version of Mechagodzilla that's one of the good guys for once? It'd be a far more effective contribution for the military to make to the monster brawl instead of plinking away with weapons that usually don't do squat. It could even be a US-Japanese collaboration as a way for the two allies to defend against all the giant monster rising from the Pacific. The crew would be a multinational mix as a result of that.

The story of Citizen Kane has produced a good movie in OTL, RKO 281, with Liev Shrieber as Welles, James Cromwell as Hearst, and also featuring Melanie Griffith, John Malcovich, and Roy Schieder. But yeah, an earlier big budget theatrical take on the story would be cool. Cromwell could probably still play Hearst, even.

The story of Citizen Kane has produced a good movie in OTL, RKO 281, with Liev Shrieber as Welles, James Cromwell as Hearst, and also featuring Melanie Griffith, John Malcovich, and Roy Schieder. But yeah, an earlier big budget theatrical take on the story would be cool. Cromwell could probably still play Hearst, even.

I like the idea of it being released on the 50th anniversary of Citizen Kane in 1991. Maybe Ridley Scott could direct it instead of producing it. The OTL title, RKO 281, could still be used for TTL's version.

How about a version of Mechagodzilla that's one of the good guys for once? It'd be a far more effective contribution for the military to make to the monster brawl instead of plinking away with weapons that usually don't do squat. It could even be a US-Japanese collaboration as a way for the two allies to defend against all the giant monster rising from the Pacific. The crew would be a multinational mix as a result of that.

With the rise of the cinematic universe, maybe RKO can also license Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah as well, or maybe even partner with Toho. The former two for solo films and the latter for TTL's Pacific Rim equivalent (that would still make for a good production name.) I would be interested in seeing if a US/Japanese collaboration could work ITTL.

One thing I was curious about was the status of The Return of Godzilla, which brought Big G out of an nine year hiatus. Did it kick off the Heisei series ITTL? Godzilla vs. Biollante should be coming out around this time.

Who would you like for part of the Orion aboard the Enterprise? What would the character's name?

The North American rights to Godzilla should revert from Disney back to Toho by about '92ish. I'm sure after that, RKO shouldn't have any trouble.
The character's name would be D'Nesh, which was the name of an Orion shown on Enterprise ITTL. I was thinking about having her be the security chief as a sort of hybrid of Tasha Yar and Worf, but now I'm thinking that she should be the First Officer as a way of finally accomplishing Roddenberry's original plan of having a female "Number One" in a Star Trek Series.
I was thinking her name could be Lolani, after the character from the Star Trek Continues fan-film series.
With the rise of the cinematic universe, maybe RKO can also license Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah as well, or maybe even partner with Toho. The former two for solo films and the latter for TTL's Pacific Rim equivalent (that would still make for a good production name.) I would be interested in seeing if a US/Japanese collaboration could work ITTL.

One thing I was curious about was the status of The Return of Godzilla, which brought Big G out of an nine year hiatus. Did it kick off the Heisei series ITTL? Godzilla vs. Biollante should be coming out around this time.
All this Godzilla talk reminds me...whatever happened to that American Godzilla film/franchise that kicked off earlier? The one based on the aborted draft from the mid '80s with the stop-motion creatures? Was it a hit? A flop? Did it get sequels? I vaguely remember it coming out, but not much else.

That makes sense. They're kind of a package deal. You buy the rights to Godzilla and you buy the rights to Godzilla's allies and enemies. Maybe "Pacific Rim" could also refer to a US-Japanese effort to combat hostile kaiju. Especially if it means "enlisting" heroic kaiju to fight on humanity's side. Mechagodzilla would still be a good way for the human military to be involved without using such ineffectual weaponry.

I presume that anything not directly covered happened roughly the same as it did OTL. And if the Heisei Era ends roughly the same time then by the time the collaboration with RKO starts the new Japanese-American films would be a new era of Godzilla films.

I was thinking her name could be Lolani, after the character from the Star Trek Continues fan-film series.

I personally prefer "official" sources. Even though the "source" in question won't exist ITTL.

All this Godzilla talk reminds me...whatever happened to that American Godzilla film/franchise that kicked off earlier? The one based on the aborted draft from the mid '80s with the stop-motion creatures? Was it a hit? A flop? Did it get sequels? I vaguely remember it coming out, but not much else.

It was made, it was successful, but it went nowhere. It was brought up once and nothing else was made of it. So so there's an opening for a series of Godzilla films co-produced by Toho and RKO.

That makes sense. They're kind of a package deal. You buy the rights to Godzilla and you buy the rights to Godzilla's allies and enemies. Maybe "Pacific Rim" could also refer to a US-Japanese effort to combat hostile kaiju. Especially if it means "enlisting" heroic kaiju to fight on humanity's side. Mechagodzilla would still be a good way for the human military to be involved without using such ineffectual weaponry.

I presume that anything not directly covered happened roughly the same as it did OTL. And if the Heisei Era ends roughly the same time then by the time the collaboration with RKO starts the new Japanese-American films would be a new era of Godzilla films.

I personally prefer "official" sources. Even though the "source" in question won't exist ITTL.

It was made, it was successful, but it went nowhere. It was brought up once and nothing else was made of it. So so there's an opening for a series of Godzilla films co-produced by Toho and RKO.

RKO shouldn't have any issues getting the license to all the characters.

Toho had been pretty uncooperative with Disney behind the scenes of the Steve Miner Godzilla. In fact, Toho wanted way too many concessions from Roy E Disney and Hank Saperstein. For instance, Toho wanted to bank on the familiarity of the Disney brand rather than allow Roy to play it safe and release the film under the Hyperion brand, resulting in this awkward opening of the Disney and Toho logos appearing back to back at the beginning of North American, European and Australian prints, with the order swapped in Japan. Therefore, Steve Miner's Godzilla was the first live action title under the flagship Disney brand to get a PG-13 from the MPAA. Oh yeah, and don't forget the legal hold ups of proposed Godzilla attractions at the Disney parks.
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

RKO shouldn't have any issues getting the license to all the characters.

Toho had been pretty uncooperative with Disney behind the scenes of the Steve Miner Godzilla. In fact, Toho wanted way too many concessions from Roy E Disney and Hank Saperstein. For instance, Toho wanted to bank on the familiarity of the Disney brand rather than allow Roy to play it safe and release the film under the Hyperion brand, resulting in this awkward opening of the Disney and Toho logos appearing back to back at the beginning of North American, European and Australian prints, with the order swapped in Japan. Therefore, Steve Miner's Godzilla was the first live action title under the flagship Disney brand to get a PG-13 from the MPAA. Oh yeah, and don't forget the legal hold ups of proposed Godzilla attractions at the Disney parks.
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
So the logos looped? if so did they fix this on home video

So the logos looped? if so did they fix this on home video

Not sure what you mean by "looped". What I meant was this was one of those multiple logo combos that are a lot more common in movies today.

In this case, at the beginning of Steve Miner's Godzilla, we would have seen this (albeit with Toho's name in English) at the very start of the film...
...and again in inverse order after the end credits with the musical score.

Star Trek IV: The Unseen Threat
Special thanks to @Roger Redux

On June 22, 1990, Paramount Pictures released its fourth Star Trek animated film, The Unseen Threat.

The story begins with the crew of the Enterprise going their separate ways. Kirk retires from the Starfleet; Spock becomes captain of the newly built Enterprise-A; The Federation promotes Uhura to Starfleet Intelligence; Chekov joins Sulu as a lieutenant commander aboard the Excelsior; Bones stays in San Francisco to join Starfleet Medical; And Scotty joins Spock aboard the Enterprise-A. With the promise of peace between the Federation, Klingons and Romulans, comes yet another dangerous threat to the galaxy, The Ferengi. Spock and Sulu set off on a dangerous mission to Feringinar to negotiate amendments to trade regulations the Ferengi deem unfair. Meanwhile, the Klingon Chancellor is assassinated and the Federation is framed. The Ferengi open fire on the approaching Enterprise-A and Excelsior. Rather than let the Excelsior fall back, D'Nesh, Sulu's number one and the lone Orion Starfleet officer, advises the crew teleport to Ferenginar to reason with Ferengi leaders, despite warnings such a move would be suicide. Upon beaming to the surface, they discover the House of Duras and a rogue Romulan faction had conspired with the Ferengi to bring about the Chancellor's demise. A shootout ensues, after which D'Nesh is commended by Sulu for her bravery beyond the call of duty. The surviving conspirators are brought to Earth to face trial, but the Federation knows all too well that the galaxy is still under the threat of destabilization.

The Unseen Threat was the first big animated hit for 1990, drawing four times the box office and merchandising gross of The Common Enemy.

VOICES:
George Takei as Sulu
Angela Bassett as D'Nesh
Leonard Nimoy as Spock
DeForest Kelly as Dr McCoy
Nichelle Nichols as Uhura
James Doohan as Scotty
Walter Koenig as Chekov
Majel Barrett as Dr Chapel
William Shatner as Kirk (cameo)​

Here's a rough map of Disneyland in Anaheim as of 1990...
DN_le9gV4AAxxzu.jpg:large

Here are some ideas I'm thinking of for the sites of OTL Toontown and Galaxy's Edge...
- Toontown
- Great Valley, Lost Continent, Forbidden Realm, etc (Land Before Time? Indiana Jones?)
- A sword and sorcery land
- Port Royal (maybe a bigger POTC?)
- Land of Legends
- Thunder Mesa
- Maybe a mini-land linking Bear Country with the bigger land on Site A?
- Glacier Bay (Maybe a bigger Snow Queen ride?)
- Write in candidates gladly accepted

Whichever of these that don't make the cut could be used elsewhere. Maybe an Islands of Adventure style park on the California Adventure site. Oh yeah, and International Square will likely be rethemed by 2000. Plus, I wonder where an Ichabod Crane/Sleepy Hollow attraction could go.

Here are some ideas I'm thinking of for the sites of OTL Toontown and Galaxy's Edge...
- Toontown
- Great Valley, Lost Continent, Forbidden Realm, etc (Land Before Time? Indiana Jones?)
- Land of Legends
- Thunder Mesa

Whichever of these that don't make the cut could be used elsewhere. Maybe an Islands of Adventure style park on the California Adventure site. Oh yeah, and International Square will likely be rethemed by 2000. Plus, I wonder where an Ichabod Crane/Sleepy Hollow attraction could go.

Wow...I have really good names for future lands, but it would help if I knew which properties Disney owns ITTL.

- Toontown
- Land of Legends
- Thunder Mesa

1. Is New Orleans Square still a thing? If so then we've got to figure out what to include in the place of the old Pirates of the Carribean.
  2. I like the idea of a larger and more exciting version of pirates to take advantage of the advances in technology in the decades since the original was built. It'd be somewhere between the original Pirates and Splash Mountain. It'd have a boost in speed and excitement but not enough to make the animatronics whip past the passengers.
  3. The Land of Legends could have some nice spooky rides as a response to the Transylvania land at Universal Studios Orlando.
  4. Thunder Mesa could work at EuroDisney or even Disney World's Fair Park. Given how huge the old site of the World's Fair is there's more than enough room for themed lands other than recreating the old World's Fair.
Something similar would be nice, but calling it Pacific Rim would just be silly.

As I said before, elements of Pacific Rim could be incorporated into the new Godzilla-Kong universe as a government project to create a new Mechagodzilla. A Mechagodzilla that ironically fights alongside the original to beat Ghidorah.

@HonestAbe1809

New Orleans Square is on the top floor of Riverfront Square in St Louis. In Anaheim, the Grizzly River Run ride takes up the footprint of the OTL Pirates and Blue Bayou restaurant and will likely be renamed Rhino Rapids to better fit its proximity to Adventureland if need be. The site of the OTL Mint Julep Bar and Orleans Cafe is used as a passageway to World Holiday Land (Which I mistakenly called International Square in the earlier posts).

5756.WHL_2D00_1.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

Here is Holiday World Land, and Pirates sits at the bottom left (southwest) corner. The bottom right corner I might save for Indiana Jones unless a theme where Indy fits is selected for one of the expansion sites. ITTL, Pirates takes up the areas where the Circlevision, Old English Pub and Medieval English show are located on the mockups from Jim Hill Media's page.
0412.WHL_2D00_4.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

In Bear Country, we built Moonshine Express instead of Splash Mountain. Moonshine sits on the OTL site of Splash Mountain albeit pushed up about 20-35 feet north of its OTL footprint to make room for a passageway to World Holiday Land, and the partial show building, aka the tunnel part of the ride takes up where the Pooh Corner gift shop sits IOTL instead of being right up against the Haunted Mansion show building. The Country Bear Jamboree is also pushed up 20-35 feet further north than its OTL footprint.
0407.WHL_2D00_8.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

5314.WHL_2D00_9.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

And of course, the bungalows in the image below is where the Bear Country BBQ Pit sits...
6663.WHL_2D00_10.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

@jennysnooper87

ITTL Disney owns:

- Mickey, Minnie and the other classic Disney characters of course.
- Winnie the Pooh
- Marvel
- Star Wars
- Atari (Centipede, Asteroids, Battle Zone, Yar's Revenge, etc)
- Harvey lineup (Casper, Little Audrey, Baby Huey, Herman and Katnip)
- Indiana Jones
- ET
- Back to the Future
- Frankenweenie
- Edward Scissorhands (coming later this year)
- Roger Rabbit
- Land Before Time
- All Dogs Go to Heaven (coming later this year)

Third party licensees at the Disney parks
- Henson (Muppets)
- Fox (Planet of the Apes, Great Movie Ride)
- New Line (Xenomorphs, Predators, Nightmare on Elm St)
- Hemdale (Terminator, RoboCop)
- Carolco (CBS's acquisition of Carolco will likely result in the license reverting to CBS at a later date)

Which reminds me, I should probably do a chart like this one. Below are the OTL ownerships of course.
GwrxA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.