Status
Not open for further replies.
Apex 2 it is.

I'm sure Mattel can enter a joint venture with SNK for the ITV4.

Panther it is.

The reason I used arabic numerals for the APEX is simply that it's Mattel's thing to use Roman numerals in their console names.

The partnership could then be continued by having the future Intellivision V be using the guts of the OTL Neo Geo CD. There are enough parties in the console race without SNK throwing their hat into the ring.

I'm afraid so, but we may not be spared from the CDi.

The horrors! :eek:

That said, I wonder which systems will dominate which region. North America appears to be extremely competitive with five consoles to choose from and with Atari still in the game Nintendo won't dominate that market as it does in Japan. At some point, I think one or two of the players will have to bow out. Sega might be in third place in its native Japan, but it's possible that they can still cement their grip on the European market by building on the success of the Master System. Maybe butterflies could produce a TMNT port for the Master System? I heard TMNT on the NES helped Nintendo gain a foothold in UK/Europe (though I will defer to anyone from that part of the world) and I'd like to see Sega keep the lead somewhere.

Also, will we see Sega release the Mega CD around 1992? They will need a leg up and hopefully they avoid the 32X fiasco and focus on their fifth-gen console for 1994.

That said, I wonder which systems will dominate which region. North America appears to be extremely competitive with five consoles to choose from and with Atari still in the game Nintendo won't dominate that market as it does in Japan. At some point, I think one or two of the players will have to bow out. Sega might be in third place in its native Japan, but it's possible that they can still cement their grip on the European market by building on the success of the Master System. Maybe butterflies could produce a TMNT port for the Master System? I heard TMNT on the NES helped Nintendo gain a foothold in UK/Europe (though I will defer to anyone from that part of the world) and I'd like to see Sega keep the lead somewhere.
There's always the possibility that this might be the TL where the CDi gets released as the SNES-CD. :p:eek::evilsmile:

A TMNT port for the Master system would be awesome!

Also, will we see Sega release the Mega CD around 1992? They will need a leg up and hopefully they avoid the 32X fiasco and focus on their fifth-gen console for 1994.

There's always the possibility that this might be the TL where the CDi gets released as the SNES-CD. :p:eek::evilsmile:

A TMNT port for the Master system would be awesome!

You guys are both in luck as the Master System, known ITTL as the Summit, will not be discontinued till '92, so a Summit port of TMNT will be available to those waiting for the prices to come down on the newer, upcoming systems.

This just in...Sega boss David Rosen has put his hat in the ring for the chance to succeed Charles Bluhdorn on the mountaintop of Paramount Communications. Also competing for Bluhdorn's old job are Steve Wozniak, Paul Allen, Roger Enrico, Mel Karmazin and Sumner Redstone.

Frankenstein (1989)
The second film in Universal's Monsterverse was none other than Frankenstein, released on October 6, 1989, with just a little bit of time to spare for licensees to fill Halloween costume orders. On the director's chair this time was Ridley Scott's younger brother Tony who had won an Oscar for Top Gun three years earlier.

Unlike the 1931 James Whale masterpiece, the newer Frankenstein presents the electrically reanimated monster, named Adam in the new film, in a much more sympathetic light. The film begins when Victor Frankenstein (Gary Oldman) and his partner in crime Henry Jekyll (Peter Capaldi) collect human remains from any source at their disposal. However, at the classroom of Victor's former medical school professor, the villainous Dr Waldman (Andrew Robinson), Henry mistakenly picks up a criminal brain instead of a more normal one desired by Victor.

Once Adam is brought to life, the monster lets out a violent roar, and Elizabeth (Kim Basinger) who came to Victor's lab to witness the experiment freezes in terror. Victor and Dr Waldman watch with amazement as they observe Adam's understanding of basic commands. When Henry runs down to see what is happening, Adam is frightened by the torch in Henry's hand, perceiving him to be a threat. Victor rightly scolds Henry and orders him to douse the torch, but Adam has flown off the handle, knocking Henry out of this way while Victor and Dr Waldman try to subdue him to no avail.

While Victor is preparing for his wedding, Dr Waldman's true nature is revealed, a psychotic maniac who paraded himself as a friendly, virtuous man, now hellbent on destroying the misunderstood monster once and for all. Dr Waldman has Adam tied down to an operating table, but just when he tries to inject Adam with a poisonous chemical to euthanize the monster, Adam breaks out of his restraints, snatches the syringe from Waldman's hand and uses it to stab the lunatic professor in the neck. Having escaped from the lab, Adam encounters Maria (Thora Birch), a farmer's granddaughter playing near a lake. Adam and Maria play a game of tossing flowers in to the lake to watch them float, but when Adam tosses Maria in to the lake with the flowers, he is horrified by what he did and runs away.

Just as wedding preparations are being completed, Henry notifies Victor and Elizabeth that Dr Waldman had been killed, and an angry mob is chasing Adam through the streets. Ludwig (Sir Ian McKellen), the distraught grandfather, carries Maria's lifeless body as a war cry for the angry mob and appoints himself as their leader. Victor and Elizabeth give chase, calling out to Adam. The mob tracks Adam down to an abandoned windmill on a hilltop, which catches fire thanks to the torches of a few mobsters thinking they could entrap the monster and burn him inside. When the windmill finally collapses, the mob cheers thinking they finally killed him.

At Castle Frankenstein, Victor and Elizabeth tie the knot with Henry as the best man, and Baron Frankenstein (Ian MacDiarmid) drinks a toast to a future grandchild. Back at the charred remains of the torched windmill, a hand twitches, implying to the viewer that Adam could still be alive.

Frankenstein opened head to head with ABC's release of An Innocent Man, beating the Tom Selleck crime drama by a wide margin at the box office on opening weekend.

The second film in Universal's Monsterverse was none other than Frankenstein, released on October 6, 1989, with just a little bit of time to spare for licensees to fill Halloween costume orders. On the director's chair this time was Ridley Scott's younger brother Tony who had won an Oscar for Top Gun three years earlier.

Unlike the 1931 James Whale masterpiece, the newer Frankenstein presents the electrically reanimated monster, named Adam in the new film, in a much more sympathetic light. The film begins when Victor Frankenstein (Gary Oldman) and his partner in crime Henry Jekyll (Peter Capaldi) collect human remains from any source at their disposal. However, at the classroom of Victor's former medical school professor, the villainous Dr Waldman (Andrew Robinson), Henry mistakenly picks up a criminal brain instead of a more normal one desired by Victor.

Once Adam is brought to life, the monster lets out a violent roar, and Elizabeth (Kim Basinger) who came to Victor's lab to witness the experiment freezes in terror. Victor and Dr Waldman watch with amazement as they observe Adam's understanding of basic commands. When Henry runs down to see what is happening, Adam is frightened by the torch in Henry's hand, perceiving him to be a threat. Victor rightly scolds Henry and orders him to douse the torch, but Adam has flown off the handle, knocking Henry out of this way while Victor and Dr Waldman try to subdue him to no avail.

While Victor is preparing for his wedding, Dr Waldman's true nature is revealed, a psychotic maniac who paraded himself as a friendly, virtuous man, now hellbent on destroying the misunderstood monster once and for all. Dr Waldman has Adam tied down to an operating table, but just when he tries to inject Adam with a poisonous chemical to euthanize the monster, Adam breaks out of his restraints, snatches the syringe from Waldman's hand and uses it to stab the lunatic professor in the neck. Having escaped from the lab, Adam encounters Maria (Thora Birch), a farmer's granddaughter playing near a lake. Adam and Maria play a game of tossing flowers in to the lake to watch them float, but when Adam tosses Maria in to the lake with the flowers, he is horrified by what he did and runs away.

Just as wedding preparations are being completed, Henry notifies Victor and Elizabeth that Dr Waldman had been killed, and an angry mob is chasing Adam through the streets. Ludwig (Sir Ian McKellen), the distraught grandfather, carries Maria's lifeless body as a war cry for the angry mob and appoints himself as their leader. Victor and Elizabeth give chase, calling out to Adam. The mob tracks Adam down to an abandoned windmill on a hilltop, which catches fire thanks to the torches of a few mobsters thinking they could entrap the monster and burn him inside. When the windmill finally collapses, the mob cheers thinking they finally killed him.

At Castle Frankenstein, Victor and Elizabeth tie the knot with Henry as the best man, and Baron Frankenstein (Ian MacDiarmid) drinks a toast to a future grandchild. Back at the charred remains of the torched windmill, a hand twitches, implying to the viewer that Adam could still be alive.

Frankenstein opened head to head with ABC's release of An Innocent Man, beating the Tom Selleck crime drama by a wide margin at the box office on opening weekend.

Does Kim Basinger scream in this movie?

Great update! I'm assuming we'll see Hyde at some point. Will it be in a Hyde spin off or prehaps in a future Frankenstein movie? Hyde vs Adam would be agreat battle to see.

Last edited:
Great update! I'm assuming we'll see Hyde at some point. Will it be in a Hyde spin off or prehaps in a future Frankenstein spin off? Hyde vs Adam would be agreat battle to see.
That got me thinking. Maybe, with Jekyll still a part of him, Hyde becomes a mole in Dracula's evil team of monsters before fully becoming an antihero. And it doesn't even need to be out-of-character for Hyde to do it! He could resent how he's being treated by Dracula as a minion little better than the mindless mummy Kharis. Not to mention the fact that the whole good-evil dichotomy is based on the character's humanity. The heroes still hold onto their humanity whereas the villains have completely lost it. And Hyde, while evil, hadn't completely lost his humanity. Especially with Jekyll acting as his conscience.

Rough Outline of 90's Animated Movies
Still working on a list of major anianted movies of the 90's in this timeline

Here's a rough list so far...

Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp (Disney)
The Prince and the Pauper (Disney; short)
Rollercoaster Rabbit (Disney; short)
Edward Scissorhands (Disney or Hyperion)
All Dogs Go to Heaven (Disney)
Outback Jake (Amblimation or Warner Bros)
Nutcracker Prince (Lacewood)*
Little Nemo in Slumberland (Hemdale; import)
Happily Ever After (produced IOTL by Filmation)**

Star Trek IV (Paramount)
The Little Engine That Could (Universal)
The Magic Riddle (Yoram Gross)*
The Butter Battle Book (20th Century Fox)
Roger Rabbit 2 (Hyperion)
Beauty and the Beast (Disney)
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (Grand Diamond)
Rover Dangerfield (Warner Bros)

Blinky Bill (Yoram Gross)*
Fern Gully (20th Century Fox)
Aladdin (Disney)
Tom and Jerry The Movie (Turner)

Popeye the Sailor (Paramount)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (CBS)
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story (Amblimation)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney)
Once Upon a Forest (ABC?)
TBD (Disney)

Roger Rabbit 3 (Disney)
The Lion King (Disney)
The Swan Princess (Amblimation)
The Pagemaster (Turner)

Balto (Amblimation)
A Goofy Movie (Disney)
TBD (Disney)

Beavis and Butthead Do America (Turner/Geffen)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)

TBD (Disney)
Pippi Longstocking (Paramount)
Cats Don't Dance (Turner)
Babes in Toyland (Turner)

Mulan (Disney)
Batman and Mr Freeze: SubZero (CBS)
The Mighty Kong (Warner Bros or Universal)
The Rugrats Movie (Nickelodeon)
Quest for Camelot (minus Devon and Cornwall) (Warner Bros)
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island (ABC)

Batman Beyond (CBS)
The Phantom Menace (Disney)
Doug's First Movie (TBD)
The Iron Giant (TBD)
Babar 2 (Paramount)
The King and I (Amblimation or Warner Bros)
Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost (ABC)

TBD
The Princess and the Goblin (Hemdale; import)
Star Wars: Shadows of the Titan (Disney)
Star Wars: Dark Empire (Disney)
Don Quixote (Disney)
Untitled Oswald the Rabbit project (Disney)
Untitled Star Wars/Anastasia hybrid (Disney)
Untitled Fantasia sequel (Disney)
Daisy Head Mayzie (CMJ)
Cats (Amblimation)
Prince of Egypt (Amblimation)
Joseph: King of Dreams (Amblimation)
Our Friend Martin (DiC)
Madeline: Lost in Paris (DiC)
Star Trek TNG (Paramount)
The Berenstain Bears (TBD)
Little Critter (DiC)
Around the World in 80 Days (TBD)
Three Musketeers (TBD)
Treasure Island (TBD)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (TBD)
Polar Express (TBD)
Dog of Flanders (TBD)
Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates (TBD)
Greame Base Animated Universe (TBD)
Hercules and Xena (CBS/Raimi?)

Also, have we decided who would import Ghibli's stuff to the US?

*Needs distributor

**With Filmation out of business ITTL, maybe Ruby Spears, Film Roman or Murakami Wolf Swenson could produce this one?

If you guys have any suggestions, corrections or other ideas, let me know and I'll add them to the board.

Last edited:
Here's a rough list so far...

Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp (Disney)
The Prince and the Pauper (Disney; short)
Rollercoaster Rabbit (Disney; short)
Edward Scissorhands (Disney or Hyperion)
All Dogs Go to Heaven (Disney)
Outback Jake (Amblimation or Warner Bros)
Nutcracker Prince (Lacewood)*
Little Nemo in Slumberland (Hemdale; import)
Happily Ever After (produced IOTL by Filmation)**

Star Trek IV (Paramount)
The Little Engine That Could (Universal)
The Magic Riddle (Yoram Gross)*
The Butter Battle Book (20th Century Fox)
Roger Rabbit 2 (Hyperion)
Beauty and the Beast (Disney)
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (Grand Diamond)
Rover Dangerfield (Warner Bros)

Blinky Bill (Yoram Gross)*
Fern Gully (20th Century Fox)
Aladdin (Disney)
Tom and Jerry The Movie (Turner)

Popeye the Sailor (Paramount)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (CBS)
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story (Amblimation)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney)
Once Upon a Forest (ABC?)
TBD (Disney)

Roger Rabbit 3 (Disney)
The Lion King (Disney)
The Swan Princess (Amblimation)
The Pagemaster (Turner)

Balto (Amblimation)
A Goofy Movie (Disney)
TBD (Disney)

Beavis and Butthead Do America (Turner/Geffen)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)

TBD (Disney)
Pippi Longstocking (Paramount)
Cats Don't Dance (Turner)
Babes in Toyland (Turner)

Mulan (Disney)
Batman and Mr Freeze: SubZero (CBS)
The Mighty Kong (Warner Bros or Universal)
The Rugrats Movie (Nickelodeon)
Quest for Camelot (minus Devon and Cornwall) (Warner Bros)
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island (ABC)

Batman Beyond (CBS)
The Phantom Menace (Disney)
Doug's First Movie (TBD)
The Iron Giant (TBD)
Babar 2 (Paramount)
The King and I (Amblimation or Warner Bros)
Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost (ABC)

TBD
The Princess and the Goblin (Hemdale; import)
Star Wars: Shadows of the Titan (Disney)
Star Wars: Dark Empire (Disney)
Don Quixote (Disney)
Untitled Oswald the Rabbit project (Disney)
Untitled Star Wars/Anastasia hybrid (Disney)
Untitled Fantasia sequel (Disney)
Daisy Head Mayzie (CMJ)
Cats (Amblimation)
Prince of Egypt (Amblimation)
Joseph: King of Dreams (Amblimation)
Our Friend Martin (DiC)
Madeline: Lost in Paris (DiC)
Star Trek TNG (Paramount)
The Berenstain Bears (TBD)
Little Critter (DiC)
Around the World in 80 Days (TBD)
Three Musketeers (TBD)
Treasure Island (TBD)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (TBD)
Polar Express (TBD)
Dog of Flanders (TBD)
Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates (TBD)
Greame Base Animated Universe (TBD)
Hercules and Xena (CBS/Raimi?)

Also, have we decided who would import Ghibli's stuff to the US?

*Needs distributor

**With Filmation out of business ITTL, maybe Ruby Spears, Film Roman or Murakami Wolf Swenson could produce this one?

If you guys have any suggestions, corrections or other ideas, let me know and I'll add them to the board.

I'd put outback Jake at ablimaton because they lost American tail 2

Also turner feature animation was spun of hanbara baran , so pagemaster and can't don't dance will probbaly be abc films. Also the although the iron gaint was released by wb it begam proudtion at tirmer feature animation

Review of the Disney Classics Releases 1983-89
As we close out the Eighties, here is a recap of the Classics releases from Walt Disney Home Video

Dumbo*
Alice in Wonderland*
The Secret of NIMH

Star Wars
The Snow Queen
The Rescuers
The Empire Strikes Back
Hansel and Gretel
Rapunzel

The Sword in the Stone
Pinocchio
Musicana
The Black Cauldron

Chanticleer
Revenge of the Jedi
The Fox and the Hound
Sleeping Beauty

Basil of Baker Street
Song of the South
Lady and the Tramp

The Brave Little Toaster
Oliver and Company
Snow White
Cinderella

101 Dalmatians
Mary Poppins (25th Anniversary)
The Land Before Time
Bambi

*Title in continuous print. I'm pretty sure that since IOTL Robin Hood has been in continuous print since '91, I'm sure there's a third title on this list that could take Robin's spot ITTL.

And here's a look at the future....
Q1: TBD
Q2: The Little Mermaid
Q3: Peter Pan
Q4: TBD

Q2: The Jungle Book
Q2: TBD
Q3: All Dogs Go To Heaven
Q4: Fantasia

Q3: TBD
Q4: Beauty and the Beast

Q4: Aladdin

Q4: TBD

BTW, what year do you guys think we should switch from The Classics to the Masterpiece Collection?

If you have any ideas or suggestions for the future schedule let me know and I'll add them to the list.​

BTW, what year do you guys think we should switch from The Classics to the Masterpiece Collection?
I think it should be more of a cutoff date than a rebrand, like starting in 1990 films need to be x years old before they can be considered "Classics" and before that they're just "Masterpieces".

Status
Not open for further replies.