Status
Not open for further replies.
Progressburgh opens
DSC_4885.jpg

After five or so years of construction, Disney's Progressburgh was finally complete. Located in Gibsonia, forty minutes north of downtown Pittsburgh, the new structure was based on what was originally planned to be the core of Walt's ill fated initial plans for the Progress City he wanted to build in Florida. Progressburgh was built in collaboration with several of the surviving steel mills throughout the Pittsburgh area along with PPG and Pittsburgh Paints.

Among the founding tenants were Mellon Bank, the Giant Eagle supermarket chain and the HJ Heinz Company. Heinz in particular, had already been the official ketchup of the restaurants at Walt's theme parks. Other tenants include the administrative and practice facilities for the NFL Steelers and NHL Penguins. The University of Pittsburgh, or Pitt for short, will have a satellite campus at the facility where they intend to open an animation school. On the retail levels of Progressburgh, AMC Theatres, a fast growing national cinema chain, will open the largest multiplex in Western Pennsylvania at 16 screens equipped with THX sound systems. Other tenants on the retail levels will include familiar national brands along with local favorites.

The grand opening on September 6, 1986 saw black and gold balloons decorate the blue sky like sprinkles on a cupcake. Walt himself cut the ribbon with his wife Lillian, his daughters Diane and Sharon and son in law Ron Miller by his side. Also joining him were Pennsylvania governor Dick Thornburgh and Pittsburgh mayor Richard Caliguiri, along with Art Rooney, Michael Keaton and Mister Rogers as honorary guests.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was quoted as saying the grand opening was a "dream come true" for the Greater Pittsburgh area.

Last edited:
Before I forget, the King Kong Encounter is the newest addition to the Universal tour in LA, and will be followed up by Kongfrontation in Orlando in 1990.

presspack3.jpg

Last edited:
Entertainment news for September 1986
Entertainment news for September 1986...

Ted Turner announces the acquisition of 700+ acres in Fayetteville, a rural town roughly a half hour or so south of Atlanta, for a new backlot for his film subsidiaries United Artists and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. IOTL, the site is currently that of Pinewood Studios Atlanta, where Marvel Studios filmed Ant-Man. As of yet, Turner has not yet found a buyer for the Culver City backlot, with many potential buyers wanting the land for condos, or in Trump's case, a theme park. Among those interested in keeping the Culver City backlot available to motion picture and television production are CBS, which owns Columbia Pictures and 33% of Tristar Pictures, David Geffen who is currently renegotiating his current deal with Warner Bros, Mario Kassar, head of Carolco and co-owner of TriStar Pictures with CBS and 20th Century-Fox parent Time Inc, Steven Spielberg, chairman and CEO of Amblin Entertainment, ABC, which three years ago, acquired Hanna-Barbera and merged AVCO Embassy with its former in-house brand to form Touchstone Pictures, and Warren Buffett, who is looking to add multiple media assets to his already expansive Berkshire Hathaway empire. Here is a map of the OTL Pinewood facility with the map titled to face west. More good news for Turner as progress on the revitalization of Steeplechase Park in Brooklyn is moving ahead of schedule and on budget.

Pinewood-DRI-1024x685.jpg

Disney is looking to divest the personal computer division of Atari. Atari founder and Disney board member Nolan Bushnell, who sold Atari to Disney in the late 70's and worked with the company to develop a chain of pizza arcades to compete with the wildly popular ShowBiz Pizza Time Theatres, said in a statement he has a lot of faith in Roy E Disney finding a buyer. Potential buyers include Warren Buffett, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Apple Computer CEO Steve Wozniak, Panasonic parent Matsushita, and Sony.

Gulf+Western's stock price jumps 42% after sales of its highly anticipated Sega Summit (known IOTL as the Master System) exceeded expectations, though it holds firm in second place behind last year's sleeper hit, the wildly successful Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Apart from launch games based on Paramount's film and television properties, Sega has Parker Brothers as a third party partner, and in turn Parker licensed the Care Bears from American Greetings for a title coming later this fall.

800px-Sega-Master-System-Set.jpg

Last edited:
Entertainment news for September 1986...

Ted Turner announces the acquisition of 700+ acres in Fayetteville, a rural town roughly a half hour or so south of Atlanta, for a new backlot for its film subsidiaries United Artists and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. IOTL, the site is currently that of Pinewood Studios Atlanta, where Marvel Studios filmed Ant-Man. As of yet, Turner has not yet found a buyer for the Culver City backlot, with many potential buyers wanting the land for condos, or in Trump's case, a theme park. Among those interested in keeping the Culver City backlot available to motion picture and television production are CBS, which owns Columbia Pictures and 33% of Tristar Pictures, David Geffen who is currently renegotiating his current deal with Warner Bros, Mario Kassar, head of Carolco and co-owner of TriStar Pictures with CBS and 20th Century-Fox parent Time Inc, Steven Spielberg, chairman and CEO of Amblin Entertainment, ABC, which three years ago, acquired Hanna-Barbera and merged AVCO Embassy with its former in-house brand to form Touchstone Pictures, and Warren Buffett, who is looking to add multiple media assets to his already expansive Berkshire Hathaway empire. Here is a map of the OTL Pinewood facility with the map titled to face west. More good news for Turner as progress on the revitalization of Steeplechase Park in Brooklyn is moving ahead of schedule and on budget.

Pinewood-DRI-1024x685.jpg

Disney is looking to divest the personal computer division of Atari. Atari founder and Disney board member Nolan Bushnell, who sold Atari to Disney in the late 70's and worked with the company to develop a chain of pizza arcades to compete with the wildly popular ShowBiz Pizza Time Theatres, said in a statement he has a lot of faith in Roy E Disney finding a buyer. Potential buyers include Warren Buffett, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Apple Computer CEO Steve Wozniak, Panasonic parent Matsushita, and Sony.

Gulf+Western's stock price jumps 42% after sales of its highly anticipated Sega Summit (known IOTL as the Master System) exceeded expectations, though it holds firm in second place behind last year's sleeper hit, the wildly successful Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Apart from launch games based on Paramount's film and television properties, Sega has Parker Brothers as a third party partner, and in turn Parker licensed the Care Bears from American Greetings for a title coming later this fall.

800px-Sega-Master-System-Set.jpg

1. I like the irony of Trump trying to buy land to build a theme park being the opposite of Fred Trump buying Steeplechase to kill it. But I'd have thought that he'd be needing studio facilities for Trump Manhattan Films.
  2. Is Chuck E. Cheese still a thing? That might mean that an equivalent to FNAF might still happen.
  3. Personally, I like the idea of Commodore buying Atari's PC division.
  4. What's happening with the other consoles being made ITTL?

I think that Trump should at least try to out bid Buffet for either Selchow & Righter Parker Brothers Kenner or Tonka, as an revaeage attempt for stealing Colecto a way from him.

I think that Trump should at least try to out bid Buffet for either Selchow & Righter Parker Brothers Kenner or Tonka, as an revaeage attempt for stealing Colecto a way from him.

Actually, Parker Bros is part of the Kenner Parker Toy group which was recently spun off from General Mills back in '85.

Deleted member 100251

1. I like the irony of Trump trying to buy land to build a theme park being the opposite of Fred Trump buying Steeplechase to kill it. But I'd have thought that he'd be needing studio facilities for Trump Manhattan Films.
  2. Is Chuck E. Cheese still a thing? That might mean that an equivalent to FNAF might still happen.
Well Chuck E. is currently owned by Showbiz (OTL, following 1984) so I expect the restaurants aren't.

I agree that trump should at least one form stratch. I have suggested indoor parks in Anchorage Honolulu and Las Vegas and an out door park in Spokane or north west Idaho. Also how about trump building a park in Baton rouge or some city other then new oreleans which opens in 2002 (I would butterfly dixie landin ). At frist Trumps lousaina park strugled to compte with Jazzland (otl Six flags New Orelands but After Huricane Katrine hit , Trump park became the bigest park in the state

I don't know about CEC still being a thing, but maybe they'll use the Harvey characters till Tony Baxter at Imagineering figures out how to integrate them in to the parks.

Commodore would be a good buyer.

Mattel hopes to get a new Intellevision out soon, but I'm not sure if they're better off waiting till the next generation.

I agree that trump should at least one form stratch. I have suggested indoor parks in Anchorage Honolulu and Las Vegas and an out door park in Spokane or north west Idaho. Also how about trump building a park in Baton rouge or some city other then new oreleans which opens in 2002 (I would butterfly dixie landin ). At frist Trumps lousaina park strugled to compte with Jazzland (otl Six flags New Orelands but After Huricane Katrine hit , Trump park became the bigest park in the state

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Baton Rouge at a higher elevation than New Orleans? Because I feel like somewhere halfway between the two towns would be better, unless Baton Rouge proper has enough land for a park.

I wonder if Marineland is too close to where Disney will build in Long Beach.

Would be funny if Microsoft or Sony acquired Atari Computers for some symmetry with OTL (or Player Two Start/Massively Multiplayer :p), but would prefer it if Matsushita or Buffet bought it.

I don't know about CEC still being a thing, but maybe they'll use the Harvey characters till Tony Baxter at Imagineering figures out how to integrate them in to the parks.

Commodore would be a good buyer.

Mattel hopes to get a new Intellevision out soon, but I'm not sure if they're better off waiting till the next generation.

I'm just saying that media capitalizing on how creepy animatronics can be would spring up.

Apple and Microsoft are successful companies without Atari's PC division, so why not give Commodore the chance to possibly live long enough to see the start of the second millenium? The venerable PC brand deserves it.

So the hypothetical Intellivision IV could end up being a 32-bit or even the first 64-bit console? This is assuming that you're talking about them sitting out the 16-bit Era. I still think that a big toy company like Mattel has what it needs to survive in the video game industry.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Baton Rouge at a higher elevation than New Orleans? Because I feel like somewhere halfway between the two towns would be better, unless Baton Rouge proper has enough land for a park.

I wonder if Marineland is too close to where Disney will build in Long Beach.

That could work. That seems like a better place for a park than where they built Jazzland in OTL. I personally wouldn't worry about Trump's park competing with Jazzland since Jazzland wouldn't even be opened until 2000.

DisneySea wouldn't even be build before Marineland dies since Marineland closed in '87 and the first stage of construction wouldn't start until the mid 90's.

Would be funny if Microsoft or Sony acquired Atari Computers for some symmetry with OTL (or Player Two Start/Massively Multiplayer :p), but would prefer it if Matsushita or Buffet bought it.

I'm partial to Commodore purchasing the Atari computer line myself. Since we're approaching the early '90s they should be due to create the Amiga OS soon. You don't even need to change the OTL slogan, really.

"Only Atari makes it possible."

So the hypothetical Intellivision IV could end up being a 32-bit or even the first 64-bit console? This is assuming that you're talking about them sitting out the 16-bit Era. I still think that a big toy company like Mattel has what it needs to survive in the video game industry.

16-bit, I think, given the time frame we're currently in (I think it'd be Intellivision III if the mini version still launched as the Intellivision II here as well) and it stands to set a pretty impressive bar for the start of the era if its specs hold up similarly to the ambitious ones given for OTL's dream project. It'd be interesting to give Nintendo a toy maker rival in North America at the very least I think.

Mattel will be a part of the 16 bit era, but should they be a year before Sega Genesis, the same year, or the year after?

Also, Commodore taking over the Atari computer division is pretty much a done deal.

And another thing, have we agreed on what to do with Marineland? Should we just let it close like it did IOTL?

Mattel will be a part of the 16 bit era, but should they be a year before Sega Genesis, the same year, or the year after?

Also, Commodore taking over the Atari computer division is pretty much a done deal.

And another thing, have we agreed on what to do with Marineland? Should we just let it close like it did IOTL?
Either the same year or the year after. Having it a year later would give them time to properly engineer it to be competitive against the Genesis.

Let it close. There's more than enough independent theme parks, more strong theme park chains and not every theme park can be successful.

I forgot what you decided to do about NEC and the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, if it still exists maybe Mattel should import it and stick the Intellivision label on that.
Because that actually was pretty competitive with the Genesis...for about a year but a more recognizable name like Mattel behind it, it would stand a better chance.

Comodore-Amiga-Atari?
WOO-HOO!!!!! ^_^

I forgot what you decided to do about NEC and the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, if it still exists maybe Mattel should import it and stick the Intellivision label on that.
Because that actually was pretty competitive with the Genesis...for about a year but a more recognizable name like Mattel behind it, it would stand a better chance.

Comodore-Amiga-Atari?
WOO-HOO!!!!! ^_^

Oh yeah, forgot about NEC. Yeah, I'll have Mattel import it to the US. How about the UK and Continental Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.