American King

Thanks, you guys!

What happened to Jefferson and Madison?

Jefferson will become a type of philosopher-type, protesting the king till the end of his days. Madison was shot in the intro, along with Washington.

American King? That implies that Jackson is the only one. Am I correct in thinking that Republicanism could return?

Mebbe. That's all I'll say for now. ;)

This is entertaining. I love it x]

woah neat stuff

Danke! Means a lot to have all you guys read my timeline and enjoy it. :)

Starting new update now! Come back later for new stuff!

Last edited:
Okayyy... Yeah, I've had a LOT of comp problems, so please forgive my tardiness.

PART VIII
Diplomacy and the First Grand Marshals of the American Army

napoleon-bonaparte.jpg

Royal Grand Marshal Napoleone di Buonaparte in Philadelphia Parade Uniform (1802)

King Andrew immediately found new friends in the international community. Sweden and Prussia welcomed him as a legitimate leader. The Netherlands was neutral about the change in government type, but still supported America. The Pope put his stamp of approval on him, and so did the Hapsburg family. Basically, there were only two important countries that did not really approve of the American King: England and Russia. Russia had been expanding in Alaska, and hoped to expand all the way down the western coast. Now, thanks to the conquering of Orleans, King Andrew wished to stretch his rule all the way to California. New Spain was acting as a buffer state at the moment, but eventually, Andrew would probably find a way to acquire the American West. Thus, England and Russia began their work of plotting against America.

In 1801, the man who was to be one of the greatest men in American history came over from Europe, after a successful but dull career in the French royal army, Napoleone di Buonaparte succeeded in offering his services to Andrew. Little did he know what fate had in store for him.

Upon reviewing his records, Andrew installed Buonaparte as Marshal of the Mississippi, in charge of the heavily Catholic and French soldiers there. Here was where Buonaparte became a household name. In July of 1802, Buonaparte led 5,000 soldiers up the Mississippi River and into North Missouri with the goal of building a fort. He continued his march north until he reached the Dakota Territory. Then, he engaged a vast number of Indians. At the Battle of Bloody Hills, in a seemingly unimportant location, he annihilated the Native Americans with his tactical genius. As they fled, he shot them down in droves. Falling back to regroup, he waited for Duke Anthony to bring reinforcements. They promptly arrived and combined their forces for a combined strike at the main Indian village. Buonaparte and the Duke struck swiftly and decisively, effectively wiping out all resistance. The massively depleted numbers of Indians still mostly hated the whites, but every time they rose up, they were destroyed.

Buonaparte and the Duke continued their cross-country rampage. The Seminoles in Florida and the Sioux in the Dakota Territory were next on their list. Also joining Buonaparte was the rising General William Henry Harrison. The 29 year-old Harrison took a liking to Buonaparte and agreed to share in the "glory" of wiping out the Seminoles. The indomitable duo smashed their way through the peninsula, once again using Buonaparte's tactical genius to pave the path to victory.

On February 16th, Harrison and Buonaparte divided their forces. Harrison took his 9,000 and headed to Okeechobee while the Fighting Corsican took his 2,000 and headed south. The next day, Harrison went on the offensive. He was successful in the attack and pushed the enemy back with minimal casualties. As the Seminoles retreated, Buonaparte's men started sniping them from the forest, using the Indian's own tactics against them. The majority of these were part of Napoleone's Royal Corsican Volunteer Regiment. These hardy men, veterans of Corsica's numerous wars, loved Buonaparte and served him faithfully throughout his career. Using tactics learned on their home island, they molested the Indians so well, that within two days, only half the Indians survived. Without knowing it at the time, Marshal Buonaparte invented what would be the premise of warfare from the mid 20th century onward: Corsican Tactics.

Last edited:
Part IX
"One Kingdom, Under God and the Rule of Law, with Liberty and Justice for All Free Men. God Save the King."
-Pledge of Allegiance written by Duke Francis Key, Poet Laureate (1800)

6176549172_b47fcfac7f.jpg

The government of the URAS was similar to Britain. It was an hereditary constitutional monarchy with a prime minister and a parliamentary congress. However, there were several key differences. Here is a basic summary of the Royal American government:

Government Levels:

King/Queen
Prime Minister
Viceroy
Grand Duke/Grand Duchess (The Heir Apparent)
Viscount/Viscountess (The Other Royal Children)
Governor
Duke/Duchess
Lord Secretary of the Treasury
Lord Secretary of the Army
Lord Secretary of the Navy
Minister of the House of Congress
Member of the House of Congress

Military Ranks:
Grand Marshal of the Army
Grand General
Lieutenant General
Brigadier Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Major Captain
Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Officer Cadet
Grand Sergeant
Sergeant
Corporal
Private

Other:
Slave

The King:

images

At any moment, the King could depose the Prime Minister and/or Viceroy. They served, after all, at the pleasure of the King, who was, at least with Jackson, the Founding Father. His wisdom was not to be questioned. As time went on, however, this "Divine Right of Jackson" grew unpopular, and he decided to try to keep his hands off for the duration of their terms.

New States that entered the Union had to be approved and named by the King. However, the King could not start the process of statehood. The Territorial Governor wishing for statehood and the Prime Minister of the country had to publicly and formally come before the King, bow, and read the Request for Statehood. With Scepter and Orb in his hands, he would say yes or no. If it was no, it was a huge letdown, and no ceremonies of this type ever ended in this manner. Upon a yes, the Viceroy, who was standing beside the King's throne, would take the written request and put the King's wax seal on it. The Territorial Governor and Prime Minister would then bow, thank the King, and then leave. The flag of the new state was then designed according to the style and traditions of the new state by the Royal Colour Guard, an elite group of officers in charge of all flags in the Kingdom. Safe to say, the King and the new State Governor had their fair share of input on its design. If the Prime Minister or Governor disliked the new flag, they could ask the King to have it struck from the records and have a new one designed. If the King did not like the new flag, he could simply say no and the flag would be redesigned.

The King did not have the power, per se, to declare war on his own authority, but needed the endorsement of the Prime Minister and House of Congress. That being said, the Prime Minister could be toppled on a whim by the King, and the Congress was extremely loyal to the King, especially under Jackson.

No justification was needed for a war. The only that mattered was that three branches of government agreed with each other.

The King had absolute power over military fashion and could promote any officer he wanted and sack any officer he wanted. All uniforms were designed according to the King's desires, but Jackson's designs and color codes were by far the most popular. The King could create as many regiments as he pleased. Many other government figures could do the same, but they had to pay, clothe, supply, and equip their soldiers. There was a limit to their control, though, and the soldiers obeyed the King and the Marshals and Generals foremost. The most common privately-owned regiments belonged to Governors, Members of the House of Congress, Mayors, the King's relatives, and upper nobility.

The Prime Minister and Viceroy:

william-henry-harrison-204x300.jpg
medium_20nw_napoleon4__3950637.jpg

The Prime Minister had a Viceroy. Like many words and occupations in America, it did not mean the same thing as in Europe. The Viceroy worked directly under the Prime Minister and was next in line to the office. If something happened to the Prime Minister, the Viceroy took over. The Viceroy also served as the honorary Deputy of the House.

The Prime Minister was not elected. The King had the duty of selecting who he saw fit. However, he listened to Popular Opinion to prevent unrest, thus, the candidates had cross-country campaigns to win over the public. Prime Ministers could serve only two terms of four years each, but they could run again after the next election. Over the years, many campaigns were corrupt and blackmailed or bribed the populace into holding parades and rallies to make the president choose their candidate.

There were various parties in the URAS for the government officials to choose from, like the Sons of Liberty Party, America Party, Whig Party, etc.

Grand Duke/Grand Duchess(Heir Apparent):

andrew_jackson_donelson.jpg

The first Heir Apparent of the URAS was no one- Andrew did not have a biological child. However, he installed his three year-old nephew and namesake, Andrew Jackson Donelson, titled Andrew II, Grand Duke of New York. When he came of age, he was the only man besides the King and Prime Minister who could give orders to the Grand Marshals. The Grand Duke had his own private regiments, and they formed the Grand Duke's Own elite fighting force. Several times, Andrew II led the men into battle personally. Over the years, the Grand Duke's Own developed a reputation as the best Indian-fighters on the continent, rivaled only by Buonaparte's Corsican Volunteers.

In politics, the Grand Duke had few powers, albeit, he dominated New York City. It was said that the entire city came to revolve around his schedule. The city awoke at 6:00, when Andrew II came out for his morning horse ride. At 8:00, breakfast was served across the city, and Andrew II, accompanied by his bodyguards, of course, would surprise one of the local taverns by eating there each morning. At 10:00, it was tea time, and Daniel would surround himself with philosophers, politicians, and generals as they sat around sipping their brew and discussing the latest events; Andrew II was extremely well-learned. At 12:00, luncheon was served at the Grand Duke's palace, and an absolute gorging ensued that was only rivaled by the gluttonous supper at 6:00. After supper, Andrew II would do varied activities, such as visiting the harbor, going to a musical, etc. Do not think his life was all playtime, however, for, as said earlier, he was also a military leader.

Viscount/Viscountess:

10858_112384716331.jpg

The other children in the royal household were all Viscounts and Viscountesses. Andrew adopted two of his nephews, the Grand Duke Andrew II and Andrew II's younger brother Daniel Smith Donelson, who was titled Viscount Daniel I. Thus, no future heirs would actually be of blood relation to Andrew I.

The Viscounts usually were either soldiers or diplomats. Viscountesses usually were aides to the Queen.

Governor:

ThomasMcKean7.jpg

The Governor's of states and territories had very few powers. Largely, they simply collected taxes, repaired roads, payed their officials, protected their borders, and served King and Congress.
Duke/Duchess:

images

An honorary title, Dukes and Duchesses usually were people who had done outstanding service for the country. The very first Duke was Anthony Wayne, hero of the War for Independence and the New Revolution. He was also first the Lord Secretary of the Army and was then appointed to Grand Marshal after he wanted to be back in action, and, as such, at official occasions was addressed as "His Excellency, the the Grand Marshal and Duke of Easttown, Anthony Wayne."

Lord Secretary of the Treasury:

bedford_gunning.jpg

The Lord Secretary of the Treasury managed most of the finances of the Kingdom, and kept his thumb over the Governors' purses. He was in charge of punishing embezzlers. The first man to hold this rank was Lord Bedford, Revolutionary figure Gunning Bedford, Jr. Appointed by the King, as all Secretaries were, in 1799, he hanged over two hundred embezzlers, ranging from petty officials, to the Governor of Wabash, Henry Smith.

Lord Secretary of the Army:

grcport234x280.jpg

The Lord Secretary of the Army helped the King and his officers organize finances for the army, from supplies to weapons to pay. He was largely only active during wartime when the army was on campaign, as most regiments were typically stationed in their native states, where the governor used state taxes to pay and feed them. The first man to hold this title was Anthony Wayne, who, after only a year, requested to be appointed to Grand Marshal so he could fight again. This earned him the nickname "The Mad Duke," because he was "mad for it." His replacement was George Rogers Clark, shown above.

Lord Secretary of the Navy:

images

The Lord Secretary of the Navy as an office did not exist until 1810, when Lord Oliver Perry, 1st Duke of South Kingstown, was put in charge of the growing fleet when it grew too large for the Army Secretary to keep up with. He did the same things as the Army Secretary, only he did it during war and peace, as the ships had to constantly be maintained and repaired.

Minister of the House of Congress:

A Minister was a person who helped keep the Congress orderly. At all times, they were in a group of 6, in hopes that two would always be present. Sometimes, during emergencies the other Ministers could not travel fast enough to deal with the problems. One Minister would hold the gavel, and the other would deliver the King's Daily Address, a ghost-written document revealing what what the King wanted accomplished that day. Often, the Congress would erupt into vicious arguments, which the fatherly ministers had to put down.

Member of the House of Congress:

The Members of the House of Congress were ten men from each state, elected by the people every six years. This was the only important office for which elections were held. The Members tried to accomplish what their constituents wanted in a way that would be agreeable to the king. Once a majority of the Members agreed that the law or regulation was good (and the majority was just that, sometimes only by one vote!) they would have the Viceroy, the Deputy of the House, who was rarely present, present it before the King for approval. If the King approved, it was called a Royal Decree, and was read aloud in every state capital and in many towns and cities. Many of these Members also funded, but rarely led, their own private regiments, which led to a huge and ersatz variety in uniforms and standards. The Members largely had regiments as status symbols and little else, and appointed sons, nephews, and grandsons to leadership in these "private armies."

Last edited:
I'm smiling, I'm laughing at the audacity of this. i'm loving this. This is fantastic. I am completely mesmerized by this TL.

I'm smiling, I'm laughing at the audacity of this. i'm loving this. This is fantastic. I am completely mesmerized by this TL.

Really? Wow, thanks! :D I have half another chapter in another window.

"Okeechobee and Good Ole Boney!"
-Campaign Motto (hint, hint) ;)

Interesting, haven't read it all yet, but looks cool and I enjoy the pics, maps and emblems. One minor suggestion, if the US is going imperial-style, mayhaps in place of E Pluribus Unum how a about E Pluribus Rex, something along those lines just as a distinction, or something, I dunno, it's your baby though I'm not one to tell someone what to do. Good work, though.

Thanks! I'm very glad you're enjoying it. About the motto: Marc Pasquin made the seal, but I think it actually fits, but in a different light; they're all under the direct control of one government which makes sure they're united permanently, plus all the varied backgrounds of the citizens, which grows even more in this chapter.

If no one gets the Tippecanoe and Tyler too reference here, I'm ashamed of you. :p

CHAPTER X
"Okeechobee and Good Ole Boney!"
-Motto for the Harrison/Bonaparte Campaign

william-henry-harrison-inauguration.jpg

Harrisonian/Bonapartist Rally

After victoriously waging war with the Native Americans till 1807, and after pushing the Cherokee and other remaining tribes into destitution, "Champions of the People," Grand Marshals William Henry Harrison and Napoleone di Buonaparte, decided that they could ride their popularity to the highest non-Royal offices in the land. They ran on a ticket of Harrison as Prime Minister and Buonaparte as Viceroy. Buonaparte, then known as 'Good Ole Boney" by the American public, was the most popular of the two and had been around longer, but he thought that his being an immigrant might ruin his chances. In an attempt to win over nationalists, he changed his name to Napoleon Bonaparte. The public was so in favor of the two men that it went down as one of the most one-sided appointment campaigns in history. On January 1st, 1808, in a spectacular ceremony, Harrison and Bonaparte knelt before King Andrew.

"As King of the Union of Royal American States, I do hereby declare my choices for the offices of Prime Minister and Viceroy!" said Jackson in a booming voice. After that, Harrison and Bonaparte took their oaths of loyalty to King and Country. Then, the army marched up and down in front of the under-construction Washington Palace- the King's residence and the nerve center of government- and saluted the two new leaders. After speaking to the throngs of flag-waving patriots, they rode in carriages to their new residences. Harrison christened his new home The Cabin. Before, the temporary Prime Ministers that served before them (and before Jackson had the Constitution amended so they could serve longer terms) lived in their personal homes. Harrison had overseen and was still overseeing the construction of The Cabin, and he went all out making it a rustic wooden mansion in the center of Philadelphia. Bonaparte, meanwhile, moved into a Southern-style white mansion. Because of the massive fountain with a marble statue of Caesar, his favorite historical figure, in front of the portico, he named it "Blue Fountain," and it entered the public vernacular in the form of the expression "Fancy as Blue Fountain."

Immediately, the foreign nations reacted. Despite the rivalry with Britain, their Prime Minister, Lord Grenville, sent a letter to Harrison. It started out as a polite congratulation, but descended into a warning. In one of the final lines, Grenville wrote: "I trust you will try to further this peace. Always remember that His Majesty has a vastly superior army. While we are content with peace, we shall not be trifled with." This was taken as a threat.

1st_Baron_Grenville.jpg

Lord William Wyndham Grenville, First Baron Grenville, Prime Minister of Great Britain

For over a year, King Andrew had been sizing up the British Oregon Territory. Orleans, broken up into however many states, was still largely unsettled. That did not matter to Andrew. On January 28th, he demanded Britain hand over Oregon for 20 cents an acre. Britain refused.

On March 2nd, the Union declared war on Great Britain. France followed suit on April 10th.

Immediately, Andrew, Harrison, Bonaparte, and Lord Secretary of War George Rogers Clark launched the long-mobilized army across the border. A huge number of reinforcements hit the Nauvoo Trail, and blazed across the country with unbelievable rapidity. Thousands of volunteers rushed to the colors and found themselves on the long march into Canada and Oregon. Years before, America would have found it literally impossible to invade Canada. However, the British navy had slightly deteriorated from lack of use, the French Royal Navy had bloated to unimaginable size, and the American army was totally and completely changed. Andrew bragged that his "mountain boys can stand toe-to-toe with any confounded, dad-gum European dandies. Let them come." The Union was also industrialized and could produce almost everything it needed. What it couldn't make, it imported from France, Sweden, or Holland.

Lord Nelson, commander of the British armada, hurriedly tried to repair the navy. French scouts showed up on the Thames. Faced with the threat of invasion by the Louis' army, an army that had been growing just like America's for the last decade, the British had no choice but to focus on their own shores. Cut off from the motherland, British Canada started to fall.

Over the next two years, the American army showed it really could stand toe-to-toe with the British, and, unlike during the Revolution, actually fought in the European fashion. The outnumbered British held off valiantly under the command of the Duke of Wellington, using Quebec City as their capital. Several attempts were made to take the city, but all failed. At last, Andrew himself marched north as a "warrior-king" and personally saw to the victory of the Second Battle of the Plains of Abraham. Just like the British did to the French decades before, the Americans climbed up the cliffs and overran the British with sheer numbers. The casualties were high, but they were even higher for the British. With his command center surrounded on all sides by Andrew's elite Saxon Grenadiers, Wellington came out and presented his sword to the American King.

The cycle had come full circle: Britain had driven France out of the New World because Canada had so few inhabitants. The French and Indian War ended with the deaths of Wolfe and Montcalm on the Plains of Abraham. Now, the Americans had pushed Britain out of North America for the exact same reasons on the exact same battlefield. "Wonderful irony," thought Andrew. On June 9th, 1810, Britain, after losing half its navy in its massive battles against the now dominant French fleet, signed the Treaty of Brussels with France and the URAS.

With all of Canada under his control, the king had yet another playground to tinker with. He immediately authorized new surveying and censuses. Garrisons were stationed in all the major towns to quash any dissent. Soon, new states and territories were added to the Union:

State of Quebec
State of Ontario
State of Nova Scotia
State of New Brunswick
State of Columbia
State of Newfoundland & Labrador
State of Cascadia
State of Winnipeg
State of Algonquia
State of Jacksonia
State of Manitoba
State of Hudson
State of Oregon
Royal Territory of Franklin
Royal Territory of Madison
Royal Territory of Manitoba
Royal North-Western Territory
Royal Arctic Island Territories

Of course, there were still many holdouts and hostile Indians to be dealt with, but Jackson's Empire now stretched from sea to shining sea... And was the size of Russia, which it now, much to the Czar's dislike, shared a border with. But Alaska could wait. America should not get too big for its britches. Andrew decided he would avoid a war for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
This time line is really something great. I can't wait to see whats to come for URSA, perhaps some excursions into New Spain? How is the URSA going to affect the Latin American Wars for Independence?

Danke! You're on the right track: remember my line about Tejas? ;)

As to S. America: There are a few ways I can go.

1.) America helps the S. Americans become independent. All is well.

2.) America helps the S. Americans join the Union. Grand Marshal Simon Bolivar, anyone?

3.) America does not help them. S. America hates them for it. Protestants versus Catholics.

4.) America invades S. America as part of conquering Mexico and Panama.

5.) Something else entirely.

I'd think the old Republicans and Democrats from the War for Independence who did not like the new government probably fled to S. America. Maybe they could have their own state, however small? :D

Danke! You're on the right track: remember my line about Tejas? ;)

As to S. America: There are a few ways I can go.

1.) America helps the S. Americans become independent. All is well.

2.) America helps the S. Americans join the Union. Grand Marshal Simon Bolivar, anyone?

3.) America does not help them. S. America hates them for it. Protestants versus Catholics.

4.) America invades S. America as part of conquering Mexico and Panama.

5.) Something else entirely.

I'd think the old Republicans and Democrats from the War for Independence who did not like the new government probably fled to S. America. Maybe they could have their own state, however small? :D

Hmm, I can see all all of these minus two happening. To be honest, I can't see the URAS holding large portions of Latin America.. I do see homegrown monarchist movements being much more popular in Latin America if the URAS sends sufficient aid.

I'm thinking the same. I'm not fond of #2. Perhaps the URAS attempts to "play a Soviet" by helping them to freedom and then trying to take over? Civil War between North and South... America. :D I'm still not sure though. I'm go with the flow till I get there. Who knows, I might do none of them...

CHAPTER XI
"And All the King's Horses and All the King's Men Could Not Place the King on Any Higher a Pedestal."
-Thomas Jefferson (1811)

images

Republican Dissident Thomas Jefferson

After the First Anglo-American War, Thomas Jefferson started speaking out against Andrew's expansionism and power. He called upon all Republicans and Democrats to speak out nonviolently to request the King to give up the power to appoint and dismiss the Prime Minister and Viceroy. He also advocated the boycotting of "unjust" taxes and said that the Lord Secretary of the Treasury should not have the power to hang embezzlers; this was several weeks after Henry Smith, the Governor of Wabash, was hanged for embezzling state funds. Needless to say, King Andrew, who had before disagreed with, but still respected, Jefferson, was furious. When Republicans did indeed obey Jefferson in several states, he brought out the army. In Philadelphia, a mob gathered waving the Thirteen Colonies flag from the Revolution. The soldiers crushed them without mercy. Hundreds of protesters fled as the Royal Legion rushed them, firing muskets into the air. Ten protesters were wounded by swords, but fortunately no one was killed.

Andrew had had enough. All open enemies of the government were told to report for deportation to the Caribbean islands and South America. If they did not report, they would be jailed. This persecution seemed to work. Thousands were deported by year's end, leaving the country even more loyal to the monarchy. However, the Jeffersonian Republicans were not finished yet.

New Spain had been a hotbed of revolutionary fervor for years, but Spain had always outwitted or destroyed rebellions. Finally, with the new surge of American immigrants, they thought they might finally have potential leaders. Thomas Jefferson himself immigrated to Mexico City, where he cried out for revolution. With the King of Spain halfway across the world, and the fact that Spain was now a European back-water, this was much easier than overthrowing Andrew. Within a year, Mexico was in open revolt.

King Andrew was sly and crafty, and he knew how to benefit from this turn of events. When Mexican Tejas rose up against Spain, he marched in and occupied it. Some of the Tejas citizens liked him, especially the whites, so they were content for the time being. To keep control, he cut taxes and hired speech-makers to prop up the new state government. The patriot immigrants had no choice but to flee again, back into Mexico itself and the Republic of California.

In Mexico, the revolutionaries built a strong army, and proclaimed the Grand Republic of Mexico. Panama and the rest of Central America joined them. Andrew, after swiftly marching over the "Jackson Territory," Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico, brought his forces to a screeching halt. He had no intention of getting involved in a land war over Mexico, a staunchly Republican Catholic country, which would likely never cease to rebel against his rule. He would just wait and see what happened.

In early 1813, Jefferson was elected Presidente of Mexico. This was bad. South America was quickly deteriorating. Spain was one of America's allies, and the South Americans, monarchists or not, would likely hate Andrew for that. Gran Colombia declared its independence in October, and Chile followed suit. King Andrew's plan of deportation had utterly failed. He ceased all deportations of the remaining Republicans and jailed them instead. Gran Colombia elected a former colonial militia leader named John Kuhn, a Catholic Marylander, as president. Before long, Spain had lost almost all its holdings in the New World. Portugal narrowly held on to Brazil. If Brazil fell, Jackson would have a huge problem on his hands.

CHAPTER XII

"Los Estados Unidos de América Latina"

BatallaCarabobo01.JPG

Bolivar's men in battle on the road in front of Mexico City

800px-Independ%C3%AAncia_ou_Morte.jpg

Bolivar's men celebrate Cinco de Mayo (1814), when the Catholic Latinos deposed the American, Protestant Government Leaders in Mexico City

After a while, it became apparent that the Catholic Hispanics and blacks of Mexico and South America had used the Republicans to their advantage and were now ready for native Catholic rulers. Two influential men, a Colombian named Simon Bolivar and his youthful Mexican second-in-command, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, finally decided it was the right time to depose Jefferson. On May 5th, 1814, Bolivar and his followers, with the backing of all Latin America, fought their way through Mexico City in a dramatic coup. Thousands died. Many were still loyal to Jefferson, so resistance was thick. On the main street in Mexico City, 5,000 Jeffersonians died. Wading through the corpses, Bolivar's men captured the armory and let loose a thunderous barrage upon the capitol. Surrounded and seeing no chance of escape, Jefferson and his remaining followers mounted horses and charged out to meet the rebels. Jefferson had had no combat experience, but he and his men managed to clear a path to Bolivar and Santa-Anna. Jefferson and Bolivar locked sabers and dueled to the death. Jefferson was an experienced fencer, and managed to deliver a smashing blow to Santa Anna's left leg. The wound knocked him off his horse and, due to infection, would require amputation. Bolivar was a far superior fencer, but did not even bother. He shot Jefferson in the chest with a pistol. Cinco de Mayo, as it became known, resulted in the deaths of 10,000 Republicans and the legendary Thomas Jefferson. Hoisting the new tricolor, the "Los Estados Unidos de América Latina," "The United States of Latin America" was proclaimed. A new storm was brewing for the Union.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The top flag is the flag adopted by the Jefferson-lead Mexican Republic. The lower flag is the USLA.

The world largely rejected the United States of Latin America. Bolivar was the de facto dictator, though the USLA was supposedly a republic. Santa Anna became the Gran Mariscal of the USLA's army, and soon prepared to invade Cuba, one of Spain's last colonies. Andrew knew it was time to act. He sponsored the Spanish garrisons and the militias against the invading radicals. Cuba's southern shore became a legendary battleground. Santa Anna landed the Ejército de Liberación de Cuba, the Army of Cuban Liberation, at the Bay of Pigs on December 1st, 1814, and faced off against 2,000 American-equipped Cuban guerrillas. The invasion was a disaster. Over 5,000 Latino soldiers died on the beach. Santa Anna, with his new wooden leg, drew his sword and pushed the army forward as it was on the brink of breaking. If it broke and tried to board the ships again, it would be a massacre. Barely, they hung on and, after 12 brutal hours, the Latinos made a breakthrough. A forlorn hope unit smashed its way through a walled farm, and cleared a path for the army to follow. Santa Anna set up his headquarters there and tried to regroup his forces. The move was their doom, however, as snipers on the surrounding hills were able to fire inside the farm. The USLA troops, wearing bright blue and red uniforms, made easy targets, and another 30 were shot trying to escape the farm. Santa Anna fled. Rushing to the beach, he ordered his ships to resume firing. While he had made good his escape, 200 of his own men were accidentally killed in the barrage. Taking the remnants of his army, he sailed to Colombia and then resupplied and went back to Mexico.

Bolivar was furious. He demoted Santa Anna to general and put him in an uneventful border fort. He was forced to resign Caribbean liberation to another day.

Spain simply knew it could not hang onto Cuba in another attack. So, it sold the island and its section of Saint-Domingue to King Andrew. The Americans swiftly moved in and took control of the situation. Cuba's shores were made practically impregnable, and the militias were re-trained into an actual army. Later, Cuba would become an American state.

This was a major turning point. The Caribbean was now an Franco-American lake. The French navy protected its section of Saint-Domingue and made it clear France would not tolerate USLA aggression.

Bolivar now turned his attention to Portuguese Brazil. Portugal was by this time even more of a backwater than Spain. If the USLA declared war to liberate Brazil, no one would likely help Portugal. However, King Andrew warned the USLA not to try it, for it would result in the annihilation of Bolivar's republic; he knew that Bolivar knew that the ULAS could not fight a war on two fronts and two continents. If the French and American navies took Panama, it would be no time at all before Bolivar's neck was feeling the business end of an executioner's axe. Thus, a cold war began with each side trying to win over Brazil. Portuguese authorities tried to support the American influence and fortified the border. France, strongly Catholic, also tried to help and sent several officers for the militias.

With the Latin American situation currently defused, Andrew, Harrison, and Bonaparte turned their attention to the Republic of California. California did not have an interest in joining the USLA. However, it also did not like the URAS. So, Andrew drew up plans for an invasion at some point in the future. The American public's taste for war was still great, and they had begun to feel invincible.

Credit goes to Cazaril for the Mexican Republic flag. The USLA flag is my own creation.

Last edited: