Do you like my timeline?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Chapter 1 Treaty of Mexico City
Treaty of Mexico City

Signed February 2, 1848

In the name of almighty god!

The United States of America and the United Mexican States animated by an sincere desire to put an end to the calamities of the war which unhappily exists between the two Republics and to establish upon a solid basis relations of peace and friendship. The President of the United States has appointed Nicholas Philip Trist, a citizen of the United States, and the President of the Mexican Republic has appointed Don Luis Gonzaga Cuevas, Don Bernardo Couto, and Don Miguel Atristain, who are citizens of said republic have agreed on the following terms of peace between The United States of America and the United Mexican States.

Article I

There shall be firm and universal peace between between The United States of America and the United Mexican States, and their respective countries, territories, cities, towns, and people, without exception of places of persons.

Article II

Immediately upon the ratification of the present treaty by the Government of the United States, orders shall be transmitted to the commanders of their land and naval forces to evacuate the territory of the Mexican Republic, which shall be completed within three months after the orders are stipulated.

Article III

Immediately after the exchange of ratifications of the present treaty all castles, forts, territoires, places, and possessions, which have been taken or occupied by the forces of the United States during the present war, within the limits of the Mexican Republic shall be restored to said Republic, together with all artillery, arms, apparatus of war, munitions, or other private property in said castles and forts.

Article IV

All prisoners of war taken on either side, on land or on sea, shall be restored as soon as practicable after the exchange of ratifications of this treaty. It is also agreed that if any Mexicans should now be held as captives by any savage tribe within the limits of the United States, the Government of the said United States will exact the release of such captives and cause them to be restored to their country.

Article V

The Mexican Republic shall cede the territory directly north of the Rio Grande River, as well as the territories of Nuevo México, Alta California, Baja California, along with the states of Sonora, and Chihuahua to the United States. The border established by this article shall be respected by each of the two republics, and no change shall ever be made therein except by the express and free consent of both nations lawfully given by the General Government of each in conformity with its own constitution.

Article VI

In consideration of the extension acquired by the boundaries of the United States as defined in the fifth article of the present treaty, the Government of the United States engages to pay to that of the Mexican Republic the sum of forty millions of dollars.

Article VII

Any Mexicans now established in the territories previously belonging to mexico, and which remain in the future limits of the United States as defined by the present treaty, shall be free to continue where they now reside, or to remove at anytime to the Mexican Republic without disruption.

Article VIII

The navigation of the Rio Grande River shall be free and common to the vessels and citizens of both republics without consent of the other country. The stipulations contained in the present article shall not impede the territorial rights of either republic within their established limits.

Article XI

If any foreign power violates the sovereignty of the Mexican Republic, the United States shall intervene on behalf of the republic in order to protect its sovereignty.

Article XII

This treaty shall be ratified by the President of the United States of America, with the advice and consent of the Senate thereof; and by the President of the Mexican Republic, with the previous approbation of its General Congress, and the ratification shall be exchanged in the City of Washington, or at the seat of Government in Mexico, in four months from the date of the signature hereof if practicable. In faith whereof we, the respective Plenipotentiaries have signed this treaty, and have hereunto affixed our seals respectively. Done in quadruplicate, at Mexico City on the second day of February, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty-eight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, and welcome to my first alternate history timeline. I am simply writing this for my own enjoyment, so do not expect any really anything super serious. Feedback is appreciated as always.

The simple premise for this TL is that the United States is a lot more expansionist during the 19th century, due to a number of factors that shall be reveled soon. We all ready see a few major differences such as a larger Mexican Cession, and the United States embracing the Monroe Doctrine earlier on.

Last edited:
Chapter 1.1 Mexico After The Treaty of Mexico City
Map of the southwest after the Treaty of Mexico City
Mapa_Mexico_1845.PNG

Red: The United States of America
Green: United Mexican States
Dark Green: 2nd Republic of the Yucatan

If any foreign power violates the sovereignty of the Mexican Republic, the United States shall intervene on behalf of the republic in order to protect its sovereignty.

I guess this means no Second Empire or Maximilian, then. I wonder how they will interpret this treaty for any civil war or revolution from within Mexico.

I guess this means no Second Empire or Maximilian, then. I wonder how they will interpret this treaty for any civil war or revolution from within Mexico.
Article XI be a major point of contention in the near future. There will be a Second Mexican Empire, along with Maximilian. I think you will be interested to see how that turns out.

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Article VII
Any Mexicans now established in the territories previously belonging to mexico, and which remain in the future limits of the United States as defined by the present treaty, shall be free to continue where they now reside, or to remove at anytime to the Mexican Republic without disruption.

This Article's really interesting. Unlike the one in OTL, it doesn't give citizenship to the Mexicans in the territories annexed, but it gives them the rights to leave indefinitely. With the annexation of more Mexican land, I would imagine this causing some issues down the road. But, this is going to be an interesting timeline, especially with the Article XI provision.

Very interesting start. Mexico lost a bunch more land, but now the USA is bound by treaty to come to Mexico's aid--and Mexico is NOT likewise bound to come to the aid of the United States. This has all sorts of implications, since the USA was historically against any sort of ironclad commitment to get involved in anyone else's wars.

The lack of citizenship for Mexicans is a self-correcting issue in a generation, as those born in the USA will be citizens. Soon enough, the Hispanics will have a larger voting block than in OTL, including areas that are almost all Hispanic.

This will become really interesting when the Civil War breaks out. Butterflies will probably change when it happens, but I suspect that it will happen.

No armed debt collection in Mexico unless the USA is otherwise occupied! It won't be lng before the USA finds itself needing to spend more on the military to help carry its new ball and chain!

This looks very promising, and I'll answer the poll after a few more posts :) Subscribed!

This Article's really interesting. Unlike the one in OTL, it doesn't give citizenship to the Mexicans in the territories annexed, but it gives them the rights to leave indefinitely. With the annexation of more Mexican land, I would imagine this causing some issues down the road.
The lack of citizenship for Mexicans is a self-correcting issue in a generation, as those born in the USA will be citizens. Soon enough, the Hispanics will have a larger voting block than in OTL, including areas that are almost all Hispanic.
Interestingly, I was not thinking about those implications while writing up The Treaty of Mexico City. Whatever party the Hispanics will vote for will receive a major boost in votes, and that effects who's in power.
This will become really interesting when the Civil War breaks out. Butterflies will probably change when it happens, but I suspect that it will happen.
The Civil War will happen. Will the states of Sonora and Chihuahua join the Confederacy? Or will they try and secede back into Mexico? You just have to find out for yourself, once I finally write that part! The next update should be out on Friday or Saturday. It will be covering the Election of 1848, where another major butterfly will take place.

Like the the update as a taste of what is to come and looking forward to more.

Interestingly, I was not thinking about those implications while writing up The Treaty of Mexico City. Whatever party the Hispanics will vote for will receive a major boost in votes, and that effects who's in power.
The Civil War will happen. Will the states of Sonora and Chihuahua join the Confederacy? Or will they try and secede back into Mexico? You just have to find out for yourself, once I finally write that part! The next update should be out on Friday or Saturday. It will be covering the Election of 1848, where another major butterfly will take place.

I can easily see the citizenship issue being written the way it was, and only in a generation, people start saying, "OOPS!!!"

The war could easily come earlier or later--will Sonora and Chihuahua even BE states? If so, I'd expect them to be slave states; where do we get more free states to keep the Senate balanced? Make California into two states, perhaps, or even three?

I see more possibilities for the Mexican lands besides going for the CSA, or trying to return to Mexico. The Hispanics could ask the USA for favors in exchange for dealing with the rebels, or the place might even erupt into its own civil war, Hispanics vs Confederates.

Interesting note: If the locals DO rebel, they can't be charged with treason, as they are not citizens. (Unless the state pays as much attention to the law as Virginia did trying John Brown for treason against Virginia, when he wasn't a citizen...)

This has LOTS of possibilities...