American culture with no 9/11.

Let's just assume Bin Laden is killed or Al Queda falls apart in 1998 or 1999. What does America look like by 2012 in TTL?

The POD may have just butterflied away the deaths of Dale Earnhardt Sr. and several other celebrities and political figures.

What does TV look like?

Internet? Is there a Youtube? Facebook?

How long does the "90's" vibe (that was replaced with shock and fear during after the early 00's) go on without it?

You have the attack on the USS Cole. That probably wouldn't be a big enough event to start the 00's.

Less ridiculous grimdark in popular culture?

The Dark Knight is a remake of the 1960's Batman, Spiderman stays in his marriage, Watchmen is never made into a movie?

DC never does Identity Crisis, likely no "Dark "N Cynical" era (though DiDio doesn't help things with what he did...). No reboot.
No Civil War at Marvel.
Dixie Chicks remain popular (assuming Bush doesn't invade Iraq anyway...which he could...).
Michael Moore criticizes NCLB and other Bush things in a documentary.
Oil prices are lower.
24 likely doesn't last long.
REM's "Around The Sun" sounds very different.
X-Files is still popular.

Green Day may not regain popularity since American Idiot would have a different theme and feel. (before American Idiot was released, Blink 182 and Sum 41 had pretty much taken over Green Day's spot in the pop punk scene)

no 9/11

US with no 9/11 -

I agree, a lot less grimdark in the Zeitgeist.
No TSA hassles in the airports. I figure airline service still races for the bottom to cram as many cattle in the tibe as possible, though if fuel prices aren't as goofy, maybe it's not near as bad, OR foreign competitors remind us Americans it still can be a pleasure to fly and worth the extra $100.
As far as pop culture goes, I figure things stay pretty much fat, dumb, and happy.

Reality shows reflect our need for voyeurism on the cheap, keeping up with the one-shot weirdos we would've seen on Jerry Springer.

24 might have gone three seasons or so, but without the visceral need for an ominiscient, ominipotent spook to prevent disaster- I like Kiefer Sutherland as an actor, but those scripts were abysmal. West Wing doesn't become as much of a liberal-wank on what Bush with a brain and heart transplant would do in charge of the White House.

Country music is more about having a good time and singing the blues than waving the flag, nobody loses their sense of humor, and Billy Ray Cyrus gets laughed off the stage. One can only hope!

The Internet was coming no matter what. As download speeds got decent, You Tube was almost inevitable. Social media came up bundling things in a convenient package as more folks got comfortable being online.

Economically, there's a lot of crap going on no matter what happens on 9/11. The dot-bomb recession hits right as Bush takes office. Without the distraction of 9/11 and invading Iraq, I'd expect a much harsher critical eye on Enron, Worldcom, etc. Deregulation becomes nearly impossible to defend with big ripple effects say 2003/4.
Delay, Abramoff, etc get rounded up and hammered sooner.
IDK if that would prevent the housing bubble- different issues in play.

Hurricane Katrina would be a national tragedy still, but with better response (a semicompetent FEMA director with good funding and coordination with federal, military, state and local agencies) and Lousiana and Mississippi National Guard units all being on home turf instead of in Iraq, I think the focus wouldn't be on New Orleans but more on the whole Gulf Coast from Pensacola to Lake Charles.
We might see a Gulf Aid concert or two for fishermen and other coastal communities devastated by the hurricane but nowhere near the sense of outrage OTL.
Maybe (way outside chance) CCC gets revived to help restore coastal wetlands and breakwaters, zoning for beach businesses/housing gets more aggressive, YMMV.

Last edited:
Let's just assume Bin Laden is killed or Al Queda falls apart in 1998 or 1999. What does America look like by 2012 in TTL?

The POD may have just butterflied away the deaths of Dale Earnhardt Sr. and several other celebrities and political figures.

What does TV look like?

Internet? Is there a Youtube? Facebook?

How long does the "90's" vibe (that was replaced with shock and fear during after the early 00's) go on without it?

TV: Less crime shows like CSI and Law and Order.

Internet: Mostly the same. YouTube and Facebook still happen.

90s vibe: Till the next major culture shock. In a way the OTL 90s were a "short decade" like the 70s. I say that because the 60s vibe ended when the US pulled out of Vietnam in 1973, the 70s vibe ended in 1981 with the inauguration of Reagan, but the 80s vibe went on till the Internet became as universal as TV, about 1995. I would say the next potential culture shift OTL was Barack Obama's election but in an ATL with no 9/11, that is butterflied away.

TV: Less crime shows like CSI and Law and Order.

Internet: Mostly the same. YouTube and Facebook still happen.

90s vibe: Till the next major culture shock. In a way the OTL 90s were a "short decade" like the 70s. I say that because the 60s vibe ended when the US pulled out of Vietnam in 1973, the 70s vibe ended in 1981 with the inauguration of Reagan, but the 80s vibe went on till the Internet became as universal as TV, about 1995. I would say the next potential culture shift OTL was Barack Obama's election but in an ATL with no 9/11, that is butterflied away.

I always thought the "90's" came along the second Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" came out, and was pretty much solidified once Bill Clinton became President and the Internet emerged. The 1990s in OTL roughly went from 1992/1993-2001 socially, but 1993-2002/2003 culturally. TTL's 1990s may last from 1992-2003/04 or so.

Odd, I was JUST thinking about this earlier today, weird timing.

First and foremost, the lack of impetus for two large wars that don't have a clear ending point makes for a cultural mindset that's much more laissez-faire about the outside world. You still have the typical American cultural superiority complex, but without most of the xenophobic paranoia we've had for the past decade. Instead of its near-continual omnipresence in American culture, the military continues its existence in the wings: something that we employ to lob a few cruise missiles off when a dictator gets uppity, but otherwise mostly ignored. We tsk and shake our heads at the atrocities of the Taliban regime and what they're doing to Afghanistan, but no one moves beyond some stern words because, hey, it's AFGHANISTAN, who cares about a mountainous desert hellhole?
Expect not nearly as many Call of Duty/Battlefield/Gears of War games; chances are the XBox Live network looks a hell of a lot different. There aren't as many military movies, somehow I don't see Battle: Los Angeles or Battleship getting written, much less greenlit in this timeline.
Overall...we're just incredibly bored, and especially bored at having nothing important to do. The dot-com bubble burst, Y2K was a big letdown, and against this backdrop we'll probably still be debating the 2000 Florida recounts as the 2004 election kicks off.

Consider the song "Stuck in America" by Sugarcult, I remember it on the radio in the weeks leading up to the attacks and it disappeared from the airwaves almost immediately afterwards. That's the kind of mindset you'd be looking at through at least 2005.