Does Lafayette get exiled by the Revolution? If there are any conflict between the various governments, one (if not all) would definitely invite him to be a general.
I'm not sure what to do with him tbh. I just noted him because of his close relationship with the Founding Fathers, and is probably paying attention to what's happening to try to avoid it in France too. I might be wrong though, as the French Revolution could also go 100% as OTL right down to Napoleon. I'm in the exploratory stage.

For the next chapter, I am currently considering having Marquis de Lafayette in a major role since he had a fairly close relationship with many of the Founding Fathers so odds are he's paying at least some attention to what's going on in North America. I'm just not sure how to make it work right now.
Always been a fan of his so do whatever you're planning I got faith in you sir 🙃

I'm about halfway done with the next chapter so it should be published soon (hopefully by next week). And sorry for any delays. I've just been exploring other things recently as well as real life catching up to me.

I'm about halfway done with the next chapter so it should be published soon (hopefully by next week). And sorry for any delays. I've just been exploring other things recently as well as real life catching up to me.
That’s perfectly understandable. Real life stuff always takes precedence.

Though there are times when my short memory comes as a blessing. After a while I forget that I was waiting for something and the belated update comes as a pleasant surprise. “Oh! I forgot that I was watching that timeline! How delightful!”

That’s perfectly understandable. Real life stuff always takes precedence.

Though there are times when my short memory comes as a blessing. After a while I forget that I was waiting for something and the belated update comes as a pleasant surprise. “Oh! I forgot that I was watching that timeline! How delightful!”
Thanks for your understanding. I'm also doing a bit more research for future chapters. And I agree that when enough time passes that you forget you were anticipating another update and then move on, the new update is a pleasant surprise.

Chapter Seven: Prelude to Revolution
Chapter Seven: Prelude to Revolution

640px-Le_Serment_du_Jeu_de_paume.jpg

By the end of May 1789, the Estates-General had reached a complete stalemate. Neither the Third Estate nor the other two estates were willing to budge. They also rejected the Third Estate’s attempt at jointly verifying the credentials of the Estates as they did not want to give up their 2-1 voting advantage. The result was that the Third Estate (now calling itself the Communes or Commons) verified its membership on its own. In turn, the Third Estate voted to proceed with a far more radical measure on June 17, 1789, declaring itself as the National Assembly of France and that all existing taxes would be illegal. Amazingly, within two days, over 100 clergymen joined them as part of the National Assembly after being invited. The shaken King resisted this and attempted to annul the decrees of the Assembly, restore the separation of the orders, and dictate the new reforms in the Estates-General (such as a newly proposed reform package). Despite not being informed, On June 20, King Louis XVI ordered the hall where the National Assembly met to close on June 20. Nevertheless, they reiterated their oath at a nearby tennis court (swearing the Tennis Court Oath) and refused to disperse until the government agreed upon a new Constitution. They moved to the Church of St. Louis two days later when the royals deprived them of the court. At this point, the majority of the delegates in the clergy joined them. The monarchy was in a more precarious situation than ever.

On June 23, during the royal session (séance royale) the King announced a series of tax and other reforms, including a clause suspending new taxes and loans without the consent of the Estates-General. He also announced a constitution granted by royal favor, which affirmed separate deliberation for the three orders (or three Estates) as subject to the traditional limitations, which constitutionally formed three chambers. The King saw the Estates as Holy institutions and it would be up to each estate to agree to end their privileges and decide how they would vote moving forward. This measure failed due to the dwindling numbers of Estates members as more clergy members in the First Estate joined with the Third Estate in the National Assembly. Eventually, on June 27, the threat of demonstrations and mutinies among the French Guard led the King to command the remnants of the clergy in the First Estate and the nobility of the Second Estate to join the National Assembly. On July 9, 1789, the Estates-General ceased to exist, becoming the National Assembly and later being renamed the National Constituent Assembly). That same day, the Assembly appointed a committee to draft the Constitution and Statement of Rights. Marquis de Lafayette developed the first draft of what would become the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen with the help of his North American friend Thomas Jefferson. The Declaration was approved and published on August 26.

Earlier that summer, a flashpoint occurred leading up to the new French constitution. Paris was close to insurrection and showed much enthusiasm for the National Assembly. As debates raged in the Assembly, the Parisian press published these, and debates thus spread into the public squares, the halls of the capital, and even the Palais-Royal. Even basic reforms had gone too far for the nobles in Louis XVI’s privy council and the king’s brother and Marie Antoinette. Taking their advice, Louis had his finance minister, Jacques Necker, dismissed on July 11 due to his sympathies with the Third Estate. The Assembly went into a continuous session the next day after rumors circulated that he planned to use German and Swiss mercenaries (half of the regular troops in Paris) to shut them down. The news brought crowds of protestors into the streets that afternoon, as many feared this was part of a larger conservative coup, and soldiers of the Gardes Françaises refused to disperse them. Camille Desmoulins successfully rallied the protestors against the foreign mercenaries. Displaying busts of Necker and the Duke of Orleans, public demonstrators marched onward from the Palais Royal through the theatre district, clashing with the Royal German Cavalry Regiment. The Regiment unleashed a calvary charge at what is now Place de la Concorde that dispersed much of the remaining protestors. However, this would only be part one of a much bigger event that would take France by storm.

Unrest remained as high as ever among the Parisian people. They attacked customs posts, which they blamed for increasing food prices, and plundered any place where food, guns, and other supplies might be hoarded, including Saint-Lazare, where rumors spread that supplies were being hordered there. They seized 52 wagons of wheat and took them to the public market, and royal troops did nothing to stop the chaos in Paris. On the morning of July 14, crowds called for pulling back the cannons within the towers and walls of the Bastille (a royal fortress) and releasing its arms and gunpowder. In the afternoon, an impatient mob surged into an undefended courtyard. The crowd ignored falls for the crowd's withdrawal from the Bastille. Governor Bernard-René de Launay ordered a ceasefire at 5:00 pm, but he capitulated within half an hour, and the mobs took over the fortress. Dozens of attackers and defenders of the Bastille died due to the battle, including Launay himself, who was taken to the Hôtel de Ville, stabbed repeatedly, his head raised on a pike, and paraded through the streets. The King took note of the apparent aftermath the next morning. He announced his return to Paris and the recall of Necker. His commanders backed down, and the 23 Royal regiments retreated to frontier garrisons. The Marquis de la Fayette took command of the National Guard, and Jean-Sylvain Bailly (leader of the Third Estate) became the city's mayor under the Commune de Paris. The consequences would be far-reaching on both sides of the Atlantic.

Much like IOTL this is the start of the French Revolution. But whether or not it remains exactly like IOTL is to be seen considering the role of one of OTLs American Founding Fathers and his connections to someone influential in the French Revolution, or at least the early stages of it.

Jefferson seen as an ally of Lafayette and becoming a victim of the Jacobins would be huge.
Considering their OTL friendship and with Jefferson’s desire to help France peacefully transition from monarchy to republic, this would almost not surprise me. Also with an independent Virginia here, it wouldn’t surprise me if Thomas Jefferson helps establish relations with France fairly quickly and he finds himself back in France.

I'm not completely decided yet but I think I will focus the next chapter on Europe and its whereabouts some more before returning to the Americas.

Chapter Eight: France In The Eyes of Lafayette
Chapter Eight: France In The Eyes of Lafayette

640px-Arrest_of_Louis_XVI_and_his_Family,_Varennes,_1791.jpg

As instrumental as Thomas Jefferson was in helping Marquis de Lafayette draft the Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen, his time in Paris was curtailed when he received a letter in August 1789 saying that fellow Virginian James Madison had been shot and killed. Jefferson’s services were requested in America once again, and he departed France before the final version of the Declaration was completed on August 20. Jefferson expected this to be temporary, hoping to return and continue his efforts to support France's transition from a monarchy to a republic. In the meantime, the king rejected the Declaration of the Rights of Man on October 2. He only changed his mind three days later during the Women's March on Versailles as members of the National Guard followed the marchers, with Lafayette reluctantly leading them. During this procession, which was a response to heightened bread scarcity, crowds demanded that the royal family return to Paris. Lafayette then led the king to the balcony, where he addressed the crowd. Chants of Vive le Roi rang out, and even more cheers rang after he kissed the hand of Queen Marie Antoinette. This created enough short-term goodwill to defuse the situation and disperse the crowd. After the later-declared October Days, Lafayette initiated an investigation to figure out and condemn those who ignited the mob. Jean-Baptiste-Charles Chabroud wrote a 688-page document analyzing the October March called the Procédure Criminelle.

However, the National Assembly thought that condemning revolutionary figures in the French Revolution would slow it down and hurt the public reception of the administration. This was one of the first signs of major political division in the National Assembly. Another was the opposition by a significant minority within the Assembly, namely radicals like Maximilien Robespierre and Jean-Paul Marat, refusing to support restricting political rights to "active citizens," defined as tax-paying French males aged 25 or over. This only helped the radicals gain support among the disenfranchised Parisians at the expense of the majority in the Assembly, which comprised centrists like Lafayette, Emmanuel Joseph Sieyes, Comte de Mirabeau, and Jean-Sylvain Bailly, who allied with various independents and monarchists. As the radicals continued gaining influence, Lafayette attempted to maintain order and steer the revolution toward the middle of the political spectrum. In May 1790, he helped institute a Parisian political club called the Society of 1789 to attempt to balance out the growing influence of the Jacobin club, which had 150 members by August. On July 14, Fête de la Fédération festivities sprouted throughout France to commemorate the fall of the Bastille the previous year. Lafayette used this as another attempt at unity as he, along with the rest of the National Assembly and National Guard, swore an oath of loyalty to the French constitution and the King, who himself was in attendance in Paris.

Even so, not everyone was supportive of this show of unity. Royalists thought Lafayette was potentially jeopardizing the king’s security, while Jacobins thought he had succumbed to royalist tendencies and thus encouraged the commoners to support the monarchy too. As one would predict, this unity was short-lived anyway. The National Assembly became increasingly divided as deputies argued over the new Constitution while other forces like the Paris Commune and National Guard competed for power over the Parisian city. Speaking of Paris, the former Finance Minister, Joseph Foullon, along with his son, was lynched by a Parisian mob on July 22, and neither Bailly nor Lafayette could effectively do anything to stop the mob. In rural areas, rumors of the aristocrats planning to starve the population led to a massive insurrection commonly referred to as la Grande Peur (or Great Fear). The breakdown of law and order caused several nobles to flee abroad. Throughout the rest of 1790 and into 1791, new institutions were being put into work and replacing older ones, i.e. replacing regional Parlements with a new independent judiciary. Due to unease over issues like universal suffrage, labor unions, and food prices, the Assembly passed various measures over the next several months to try and disarm the wave of radicalism, including excluding the poor from the National Guard, limiting petitions, and suppressing trade guilds or other similar organizations.

Lafayette’s popularity was volatile and would be molded by events surrounding the French Revolution. His popularity initially increased after what became known as the Day of Daggers on February 28, 1791, during which hundreds of armed nobles arrived at the Tuileries after he departed with the National Guard to handle a conflict at Vincennes. Rumors spread that the nobles tried to seize the king and have him head a counter-revolution. In response to the rumors, Lafayette quickly returned to the Tuileries and disarmed the nobles. Meanwhile, the royal family was increasingly held prisoner in their palace, as demonstrated by the National Guard (against Lafayette’s orders) preventing the king from leaving for Saint-Cloud for Mass. On June 20, the King and Queen escaped from the palace and fled to Varennes-en-Argonne as a stop en route to Montmédy, where they could initiate a counter-revolution. After learning of this, Lafayette sent the Guard to retrieve the monarchs, and he led them back to Paris five days later through a mob calling for the heads of both the king and queen and even Lafayette. Since he was responsible for the custody of the royal family as leader of the National Guard, extremists largely blamed him for the disaster. Maximilien Robespierre called him a traitor to his people. This forever tainted Lafayette’s reputation with the public, as the power of the Jacobins and other radicals now strengthened, and he would never fully recover. He eventually resigned as head of the National Guard in October 1791.

Hi everyone,
The reason I decided to focus on Lafayette more was because he may have a larger role later on, and I wanted to highlight how Jefferson served as a consultant to him during the drafting of the Declaration of Rights which was a small connection between the USA and France I didn't realize before. Anyway, for the next chapter, I was originally planning on returning to the United States but I'm not sure if the early French Revolution Arc is wrapped up yet. Hence, I've created yet another poll.

As of now, the majority appears to favor North America, so I will focus on that. I also have a more specific focus in mind, the Ohio Country. I've wanted to work on that for a while but I wasn't sure when.

Chapter Nine: Way Down in Ohio-Land
Chapter Nine: Way Down in Ohio-Land

640px-(A_trader's_map_of_the_Ohio_country_before_1753._LOC_gm71002324.jpg

Before 1660, the Shawnee and Siouan-speaking tribes like the Omaha and Ponca dominated the area north of the Ohio River. Around the mid-1600s, the Iroquois Confederacy and their allies seized the land and drove the Shawnee and Siouan peoples north and west. Aside from hunting, what became known as Ohio Country remained sparsely inhabited until the 1720s, with tribal groups migrating westward due to pressure from European colonization. Direct contact with Europeans only came in the 1740s as the British and French claimed the Ohio Valley and sent fur traders there. In 1749, the Crown Colony of Virginia granted the Ohio Company a deal on the land in exchange for building a fort and settling 100 families there. The Pennsylvania colony also vied for the territory, resulting in intense competition between the two colonial powers. The French also got in on the action, leading numerous excursions into the region, constructing and garrisoning several forts, and capturing and driving out British traders. In response, alarmed Native representatives met with New York Governor George Clinton and other colonial officials at Albany. Ultimately, the British did not uphold their obligations to the Iroqious to block French expansion into the Ohio River region, and British-Iroquois relations broke down. In October 1753, Virginia Governor Robert Dinwiddie ordered immediate action, sending 21-year-old Major George Washington of the Virginia Regiment to warn the French at Fort Le Boeuf to leave.

Not only did the French not leave, but they also doubled down on their claims, asserting them as superior to the British as they arrived nearly a century earlier. In his report, Washington noted French intentions to fortify the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers. By April 1754, the French were constructing Fort Duquesne. Washington went there the following spring. On his way, he learned of a nearby French scouting party, so he and allied natives ambushed 40 Canadiens during the Battle of Jumonville Glen on May 28, killing many of them. This opened the North American theater of the Seven Years' War. During the war, most native tribes eventually sided with the French as they were more interested in hunting and trading than settling. With French arms, they raided their enemies via the Kittanning Path and destroyed Fort Granville in the summer of 1756. In response, Pennsylvania Proprietary Governor John Penn ordered Captain John Armstrong to destroy Shawnee villages west of the Alleghenies. Eventually, the French were driven out of Fort Duquesne and the British built Fort Pitt in its place. The French ceded their claims to Ohio Country to the British via Treaty in 1763. Still, this did not stop the ensuing chaos, especially as the Royal Proclamation of 1763 set the land west of the Appalachians aside as exclusively Native American territory. This voided the claims of numerous colonial charters and anger hung over the Thirteen Colonies.

On June 22, 1774, Parliament passed the Quebec Act, granting the Province of Quebec all Britsh-held land west of the Proclamation line the land north of the Ohio River. The Thirteen Colonies viewed this as among the Intolerable Acts and was a major catalyst for the American Revolution. In 1778, after several Patriot military victories in the region, Virginia’s legislature organized a nominal civil government over the area, referring to it as Illinois County. Under the 1783 Treaty of Paris, Britain surrendered its claims over Ohio Country to the newly independent United States. The federal government immediately opened this area to settlement, jeopardizing the status of the natives living there. The Ohio Country quickly became a top destination for Trans-Appalachian settlers (especially American Revolution veterans who were often granted land in place of payment for their service). While the Treaties of Forts Stanwix and McIntosh fixed the boundaries between settlers and natives, the Northwestern Confederacy continued resisting American intrusion as Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia renewed their claims, sparking the Northwest Indian Wars. These states soon ceded their claims to the new state after negotiations with the federal government and it was organized into the Northwest Territory in July 1787. Aside from squatters, the land was sold directly to settlers, companies, and veterans in the Virginia Military District and Connecticut Western Reserve.

George Rogers Clark received the first land grant in 1781, and John Symmes made the first direct land purchase in 1788. The Ohio Company of Associates was formed in March 1786 by Rufus Putnam and three other New England men in Boston, Massachusetts to discuss settling the territory around the Ohio River. In 1787, Putnam and Manasseh Cutler proved instrumental in creating the Northwestern Ordinance, opening up the Northwest Territory to settlers and forbidding slavery there. Cutler also helped negotiate the sale of a tract of land along the Ohio River to the Ohio Company around this time. In April 1788, Marietta, located near Fort Harmar, became the first settlement in Ohio Country. Soon, people from the Middle and Southern regions expressed interest in the Ohio Valley. From the former Middle colony of New Jersey came a group of 26 settlers who, under Major General Benjamin Stites, set out in November 1788 from Limestone, Kentucky. They reached the shore near the mouth of the Little Miami River where the pioneers named this new settlement Columbia. A second settlement, Losantiville, was founded by pioneers led by Colonel Robert Patterson, a Pennsylvania native, and a third named North Bend was settled in early 1789 by a group led by John Symmes himself. In 1790, southerners got in on the action as General Nathaniel Massie set out to start a settlement in the Virginia Military District and led thirty families from Kentucky and Virginia there, naming it Massie’s Station. Migration from New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and the South would soon turn Ohio into a powder keg.