In the next chapter I promise to tie up the lose ends that were left after this one and hopefully will be starting to get into new plots such as the Northwest Territory and the whereabouts of Europe (France in particular).

1. What is the capital of the rump United States? Is it still in Philadelphia or will they move it to a compromise location? Wilmington seems like a good central location.
  2. If the rump US can’t outright abolish slavery for fear of offending the remaining slave states, could they pass a law of free birth where all born after a certain date are born free? Let the “peculiar institution” be effectively “grandfathered out”.
  3. I’m going to look forward to see how the mess of British forts, native tribes, and American settlers in the Old Northwest is resolved. Maybe it could serve as a prototype Dominion? I do like the sound of the “Commonwealth of Ohio”. But that’s just me. It just feels like a decent compromise between the various groups in the region.

1. What is the capital of the rump United States? Is it still in Philadelphia or will they move it to a compromise location? Wilmington seems like a good central location.
  2. If the rump US can’t outright abolish slavery for fear of offending the remaining slave states, could they pass a law of free birth where all born after a certain date are born free? Let the “peculiar institution” be effectively “grandfathered out”.
  3. I’m going to look forward to see how the mess of British forts, native tribes, and American settlers in the Old Northwest is resolved. Maybe it could serve as a prototype Dominion? I do like the sound of the “Commonwealth of Ohio”. But that’s just me. It just feels like a decent compromise between the various groups in the region.
1. Since the capital was New York City before the United States fell apart, I suspect Philadelphia will be the capital and possibly a federal district carved out of it and parts of New Jersey if there needs to be a compromise.
2. I suspect it won’t be a make or break issue for Pennsylvania until the 1840s or so as it only completely abolished slavery in 1847 IOTL. With a bit of coaxing and things going slightly differently than OTL, it’s not impossible for New Jersey and Delaware to abolish slavery, leaving Maryland as the only real can of worms.
3. It will almost certainly be a mess. The British and Tecumseh’s Confederacy will be coming out of it more favorably than OTL but how much more favorably remains to be seen.

Last edited:
1. Since the capital was New York City before the United States fell apart, I suspect Philadelphia will be the capital and possibly a federal district carved out of it and parts of New Jersey if there needs to be a compromise.
2. I suspect it won’t be a make or break issue for Pennsylvania until the 1840s or so as it only completely abolished slavery in 1847 IOTL. With a bit of coaxing and things going slightly differently than OTL, it’s not possible for New Jersey and Delaware to abolish slavery, leaving Maryland as the only real can of worms.
3. It will almost certainly be a mess. The British and Tecumseh’s Confederacy will be coming out of it more favorably than OTL but how much more favorably remains to be seen.
  1. If the remnants of the US government were scrambling for a place to reorganize in the wake of being kicked out of NYC they could always end up in New Jersey instead. Nassau Hall in Princeton was one of the temporary homes of Congress, albeit for a shorter period than Independence Hall.
  2. Did you mean that it’s not impossible for Nee Jersey and Delaware to abolish slavery because the way it’s written now contradicts the bit regarding Maryland being the only can of worms.
  3. It feels reasonable that the American colonists in the area would get a seat at the table regarding whatever happens to the region. I’m definitely looking forward to whatever you will be writing on the subject.

1. If the remnants of the US government were scrambling for a place to reorganize in the wake of being kicked out of NYC they could always end up in New Jersey instead. Nassau Hall in Princeton was one of the temporary homes of Congress, albeit for a shorter period than Independence Hall.
  2. Did you mean that it’s not impossible for Nee Jersey and Delaware to abolish slavery because the way it’s written now contradicts the bit regarding Maryland being the only can of worms.
  3. It feels reasonable that the American colonists in the area would get a seat at the table regarding whatever happens to the region. I’m definitely looking forward to whatever you will be writing on the subject.
Fixed #2 so that it now says impossible

I'm starting to plan out the next chapter so hopefully, it will be ready in time for the new year. I hope you guys enjoy it when it comes out. Also this new chapter should come with a map not too long after.

Last edited:
In the meantime, since I can't decide on my own, I've decided to create a couple more polls:

I don’t think that New England can possibly claim the Western Reserve when New York and the Rump US are in the way.

EDIT: I don’t think that the Appalachians would want to have Virginia in their country. Not when Virginia has nearly seven times their population combined.

Last edited:

NedStark

Kicked
I don’t think that New England can possibly claim the Western Reserve when New York and the Rump US are in the way.

EDIT: I don’t think that the Appalachians would want to have Virginia in their country. Not when Virginia has nearly seven times their population combined.
Well, New England and Rump US could cut a deal to screw over New York. Plus, they could also cut a deal with *Britain*.

Well, New England and Rump US could cut a deal to screw over New York. Plus, they could also cut a deal with *Britain*.
That still feels like more of a reach than the country literally right next to the territory in question.

Also, do you agree that Kentucky and Tennessee would not want to be linked with Virginia? I just think that the sparsely populated frontier states would not want to be basically overpowered by Richmond.

Last edited:

It's unlikely New England can realistically hold onto the Western Reserve via Connecticut, but stranger things have happened. And as far as Tennessee and Kentucky go, they will unify as a separate nation from Virginia. I was only thinking of a loose Confederation with Virginia if anything. Tennessee and Kentucky would be opposed to full-on unification with Virginia since they didn't want to be overpowered by Richmond. Still, since Virginia had far fewer qualms about letting Kentucky go than North Carolina did with Tennessee and that Virginia is helping Tennessee out right now in this war, I was thinking of a loose confederation more akin to an alliance or a defense pact.
I have plans for Britain in the Northwest Territory but whether or not they incorporate Ohio into it remains to be seen. And tbh my first choice of action is for New England to sell the Western Reserve to the rump USA since both are rivals to New York and they don't intend on letting it fall into their hands. The only question is how this could impact the Erie Triangle. Granted, the United States was starting to favor Pennsylvania here over New York but that was before New York's departure split the Union in two so there's a whole new monkey wrench there.

What becomes of Aaron Burr (May He Rest In Peace, All Hail) ITTL?
This type of chaos is tailor made for a man like Aaron Burr. The possibilities are endless.
I would assume that for now he's closely allied with the George Clintons of New York and fierce enemies with John Jay and Rufus King among others. Maybe partaking part of a Greater Pan-New York Movement? I'm not too sure at the moment but for now, he's keeping a fairly low profile.

Watching for independent New York. I can't wait to see my dream realized in this TL
Honestly, I'm shocked an independent New York isn't as common of a thing in "America breaks up early on" TLs. It's one of a handful of states alongside Virginia and maybe Pennsylvania that could realistically go it alone in the long haul. And thanks for watching. I greatly appreciate it.

NedStark

Kicked
unlikely New England can realistically hold onto the Western Reserve via Connecticut, but stranger things have happened
It could conquer a strip of Western New York to direct gain access to the Great Lake.

have plans for Britain in the Northwest Territory but whether or not they incorporate Ohio into it remains to be seen. And tbh my first choice of action is for New England to sell the Western Reserve to the rump USA since both are rivals to New York and they don't intend on letting it fall into their hands. The only question is how this could impact the Erie Triangle. Granted, the United States was starting to favor Pennsylvania here over New York but that was before New York's departure split the Union in two so there's a whole new monkey wrench there
Alternatively, a "partition of Poland" over Western Reserves and Upstate New York.

The Western Reserve could be sold on the condition it gets to be its own state. That would be a good way to placate the locals and assuage Connecticut's conscience. Even today, the Western Reserve is a bit different from the rest of Ohio. At the time, it would not have enough population, but legal niceties can always be stretched. The other states left in the Union could support statehood for such a small area as a way to dilute PA's power further in Congress.

As for another part of Ohio, the Southeast, the Ohio Company should have already purchased their lands and created Marietta. Since this land grant came from Congress, the Ohio Company, and by extension, its settlers, would have the motivation to uphold the Union as their legal rights to the land come from it. Southeastern Ohio could be another state added to the Union. This state's western border could be a problem.

With the collapse of the Union, Virginia could make a claim to the Virginia Military District, an area in the southwest of the state that Virginia kept, and Congress recognized, for land grants and as bounties to discharged soldiers. If Kentucky-Tennessee united with Virginia, that could make a new state in the proposed Union (and potentially drag slavery north of the Ohio).

I have some ideas of what to call the Western Reserve as a state. Cuyahoga, Seneca, and Erie all work in regards to names.

Western Pennsylvania will eventually gain a population big enough to form their own state. And the name “Erie” would work there too.

It could conquer a strip of Western New York to direct gain access to the Great Lake.

Alternatively, a "partition of Poland" over Western Reserves and Upstate New York.
The problem with both of those is that New England is too far away to realistically enforce either of those. Eventually, both New York and Pennsylvania will beat them out.
I have some ideas of what to call the Western Reserve as a state. Cuyahoga, Seneca, and Erie all work in regards to names.

Western Pennsylvania will eventually gain a population big enough to form their own state. And the name “Erie” would work there too.

Honestly, those are all interesting names and I will consider those when it comes time.