America Be Watching With The Popcorn: A Sino-Soviet War TL

How is China doing ITTL 2021?
View attachment 646732
The ROC completely controls the area up to the dark green line, and conditions here are similar to OTL China in around 2002-2007.
The Ligh green are areas under ROC control, although remenants of warlord fiefdoms still fight and prevent the modernization efforts being built in the east. Yellow and purple are self-explanatory, although Xinjiang and Tibet are both behind their current situation in infastructure and tech, although the Dalai Lama lives in Lhasa and Xinjiang is a democracy. Black is the border of the People's Republic of China, a dependent/puppet in a North Korea/China situation with the USSR, although life is somewhat better and freer than in OTL North Korea (high bar, I know).

View attachment 646732
The ROC completely controls the area up to the dark green line, and conditions here are similar to OTL China in around 2002-2007.
The Ligh green are areas under ROC control, although remenants of warlord fiefdoms still fight and prevent the modernization efforts being built in the east. Yellow and purple are self-explanatory, although Xinjiang and Tibet are both behind their current situation in infastructure and tech, although the Dalai Lama lives in Lhasa and Xinjiang is a democracy. Black is the border of the People's Republic of China, a dependent/puppet in a North Korea/China situation with the USSR, although life is somewhat better and freer than in OTL North Korea (high bar, I know).
I don't see shit, kaptin. Image borked.

View attachment 646732
Screenshot_2021-04-30 Oops We ran into some problems .png

Uhhh...

Yeah. China's picture isn't pulling up.

I'm just going to assume that things are still awful, but slowly improving to ehhh ok.

Special #1: National Health Program
The National Health Program (NHP) is the government-run healthcare system in the United States of America. It is the second-largest single-payer healthcare system in the world after the Indian Nationwide Health Care System. The program is funded by a percentage of all government tax income set by the annual federal budget approved by Congress. The program is under the purview of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.

The system is generally considered on the more conservative end as far as universal health care programs go. It is generally compared (mostly favorably) to the Canadian system. The government provides full insurance coverage to all Americans and acts as chief negotiator for the purchase of medicine and medical equipment. Studies have shown that this dramatically lowers costs, as the buyer (the government) also has the power to revoke corporate licensing to produce medicine. This has resulted in a majority of conservatives supporting the program.

The system usually works in conjunction with private hospitals and clinics, where most Americans get medical care. The NHP does, however, operate over 200 full-service and 1,000 partial-service clinics nationwide, generally in areas with low population density. All American citizens and permanent residents get care free at the point of use, while others (including foreign nationals) have to pay for all but critical care, unless they have private supplemental insurance or are among countries that America has deals with regarding payment, such as the UK, Australia, Japan, Canada, India, Germany, Israel, France, and several others.

The program has faced criticism in the past over the requirement of an NHP ID Card, which while open to undocumented immigrants is generally not used due to fear of getting reported to ICE. Under President Biden, these requirements were removed for government-run clinics.

People read this?
We certainly do!

In 1986, the first Mars mission was launched. To be fair this was just an orbit insertion, but it was a feat nonetheless. Each Mars mission cost a ton of money, so only one landing was approved. On December 10, 1988, Martian lander Liberty touched down on the surface. Onboard were three astronauts (Jeffery Hoffman, Ronald McNair, and Ellison Onizuka), of which Hoffman was the first to step foot on Mars. All were welcomed home in 1989 by massive celebrations and were invited to the White House by President Powell.
Some things are better in this world. Not many, in light of the catastrophe, but some.

personally I'd like to see how Hong Kong and Taiwan's culture is different, considering a wave of mainland immigrants will come in due to the nukes. Plus, is Cantonese the main language of Taiwan-Hong Kong? The main language in the south of China is Cantonese after all, and I think Taiwan will democratize like otl, especially if they want to continue expanding into the mainland too.