America Be Watching With The Popcorn: A Sino-Soviet War TL

McPherson

Banned
Hmmm. Still have a number of 1960s bomber bases and rocket artillery and naval bases and ports hit. These would be surface bursts.
day-view-harbour-yantian-port-shenzhen-china-19773389.jpg

Day View Of Harbour At Yantian Port Shenzhen China Stock ...
That's what I was referring to.
Fallout.
keep in mind its likely a smaller nuke was used in Shenzhen to avoid bringing in nato through splash damage.
Let's review the Kahn Escalation ladder?

Mao orders tactical nukes used to break the Russian offensives.
R4dd6869375a334c89e3696e71e5a31be

Dalian Harbor City | OBERMEYER Engineering Consulting

Brezhnev orders a city killer strike on Dalian.

Mao orders a "limited" response. Most of it fails.

Then Brezhnev orders a four group of shot-gun strikes to apparently isolate Manchuria, neutralize the eastern Yangtze river valley and spot kill large urban centers around Beijing and one set of strikes into south central China and also some city kills along the southeast coast including a major port near Hong Kong that will probably be hit with a multi-warhead package like the other targets, because that was Soviet doctrine?

Hong Kong will be VAPORIZED because the Soviet ICBMs of the era tended to MISS with kilometers of offset; not hundreds of meters of CEP. As I noted previously, Soviet electronics and avionics were not too good.

another effect I can see in this timeline is that Rhodesia MAY survive emphasizing the may because it has gone from like 1 in 12 to 1 in 4 chance for them to win the bush war because zapu is no longer getting support from the soviets or Chinese as china is nuked and the soviet are digesting the territory they just took they are still at a disadvantage but not as much of one

Does cratering the runways actually mater? IIRC the PLAAF's MiGs are all rough runway capable, so the point of hitting the air bases would be destroying aircraft on the ground as well as their supporting infrastructure.

McPherson

Banned
Does cratering the runways actually mater? IIRC the PLAAF's MiGs are all rough runway capable, so the point of hitting the air bases would be destroying aircraft on the ground as well as their supporting infrastructure.
If the crater is 1400 meters wide and 200+ meters deep, it makes a difference.

McPherson

Banned
How many mobile control towers do you think the Chinese had, or dispersed truck?
Fuzhou air base.

Another...

Corona spy satellite imagery of Jianqiao Airfield

Question... How did the ROCAF keep fighting when their bases were pounded by the IJNAS?

Not if they're just going to instead land on a recently steam rolled strip of a farmer's collectively held field in the next county.
Answer... They did not have steam rollers, so they used corvee labor of hundreds, nay thousands of Chinese drafted workers who used wicker baskets of hammered rocks into gravel as fill and crowning material, and they pounded that crushed pebble runway surface so poured flat with 2 man / woman pole hammers or used weight rollers made out of bamboo and filled with rocks that were towed by water buffaloes.

As for fuel bowsers, they used carts with oil drums and hand pumps. For control towers, they built stick platforms and installed radios they man-packed in.

Answer... They did not have steam rollers, so they used corvee labor of hundreds, nay thousands of Chinese drafted workers who used wicker baskets of hammered rocks into gravel as fill and crowning material, and they pounded that crushed pebble runway surface so poured flat with 2 man / woman pole hammers or used weight rollers made out of bamboo and filled with rocks that were towed by water buffaloes.

As for fuel bowsers, they used carts with oil drums and hand pumps. For control towers, they built stick platforms and installed radios they man-packed in.
Y'all are telling me that 1969 China didn't have steam rollers? Or even generic tractors able to pull a roller?

Now I'm pretty critical of China's actual development level* but I still find the above to be a tad incredulous.

*especially when people try positively attributing it to the Great Leap Backwards, but that's neither here nor there

McPherson

Banned
Didn't answer the question for 1969. How many trucks were dispersed during an alert, when they are expected to be servicing aircraft?
As usual with such questions, the answers start with FRANCE.
China began to produce motor vehicles in 1956. In the 1960s China's army required a large number of heavy military trucks to equip its artillery, engineering and ballistic missile units, however there were no suitable indigenous heavy-duty military trucks for these roles. In the 1960s Chinese government ordered to build two heavy vehicle factories in Sichuan and Shaanxi province. The Sichuan plant was opened with the help of French company Berliet. In 1966 this plant launched a Hanyang CQ260 military truck with 6x6 configuration. It was the first Chinese all-wheel drive military truck. In parallel production a heavily modified CQ260 truck was being prepared on the Shaanxi plant. In 1968 the Shaanxi Automobile Works (now Shaanxi Automobile Group) introduced their SX250 heavy-duty military truck, which was a heavily modified version of the Hanyang CQ260. Though due to the technical problems in the initial design and reliability problems this truck reached mass production only in 1974. Several thousands of SX250 series military trucks were delivered to the Chinese army. Eventually the SX250 became one of the most popular Chinese military trucks in service. Improved versions of this basic design are still being produced.
Y'all are telling me that 1969 China didn't have steam rollers? Or even generic tractors able to pull a roller?

Now I'm pretty critical of China's actual development level* but I still find the above to be a tad incredulous.

*especially when people try positively attributing it to the Great Leap Backwards, but that's neither here nor there
Well... I was trying to reach into Chinese history to show that even when there were no trucks, the Chinese found a way to base and operate B-29s. Now, this is not an H-4, but it is close enough to demo the case.

I would like to see a Taiwan and USSR cooperation developing in 70s
Manchuria, Mongolia, and Xinjiang are under Soviet's firm control, ROC definitely would want these territory back, so I don't think cooperation is likely, at least not in near future.

McPherson

Banned
Manchuria, Mongolia, and Xinjiang are under Soviet's firm control, ROC definitely would want these territory back, so I don't think cooperation is likely, at least not in near future.
100 million +human beings have been killed by the Moscow regime in this ATL over a petty border dispute that could have been negotiated (54-40 or FIght example.) at the UN and brokered by an international commission. So the question is... who in their right mind wants to ally with or even talk to those IDIOTS? I mean the only negotiations such a Russian regime would apparently understand or agreements such a regime could keep would only be guaranteed at the tip of a Minuteman II or III missile.