Would enough states be in favor of this? Only five states really rebuked the ruling and that’s a far cry from the number needed to pass an amendment.
How about one stating that literacy tests are constitutional and that Congress has no power to prohibit them as long as they're race-neutral?

Well this is at the height of the anti-war movement.

As someone mentioned above, a War Powers Amendment could be a possibility. I'm curious if the executive branch would get limited in power any other way.

What about a anti-draft amendment? There's potentially enough civilian support, but I doubt the politicians would go along with it.

Legalize school prayer, drastically reduce the SCOTUS’ powers & drastically expand those of the police (perhaps get rid of, if not”innocent until proven guilty” then the exclusionary rule). Yes, I am aware this is not today but 1969. But first, the conservative backlash against what was widely perceived as the excesses of the
60’s was well underway by 1969(it had been a major, perhaps THE major factor in electing Nixon POTUS the previous year). Second, many Warren court decisions that we justifiably hail today were in fact so
unpopular when they were handed down that they would not have withstood a popular vote. Third, the
white middle class- still the backbone of this country in 1969- has always preferred to uncritically sup-
port the police rather than change them(if I may interject just one note here re contemporary politics,
we are seeing that today as despite BLM, there has been few, if any, major reforms in restricting & pos-
sibly changing US police departments).

Last edited:
Legalize school prayer, drastically reduce the SCOTUS’ powers & drastically expand those of the police (perhaps get rid of, if not”innocent until proven guilty” then the exclusionary rule). Yes, I am aware this is not today but 1969. But first, the conservative backlash against what was widely perceived as the excesses of the
60’s was well underway by 1969(it had been a major, perhaps THE major factor in electing Nixon POTUS the previous year). Second, many Warren court decisions that we justifiably hale today were in fact so
unpopular when they were handed down that they would not have withstood a popular vote. Third, the
white middle class- still the backbone of this country in 1969- has always preferred to uncritically sup-
port the police rather than change them(if I may interject just one note here re contemporary politics,
we are seeing that today as despite BLM, there has been few, if any, major reforms in restricting & pos-
sibly changing US police departments).
How about make federal judges popularly elected/subject to recall by the population of the district where they live?

Well this is at the height of the anti-war movement.

As someone mentioned above, a War Powers Amendment could be a possibility. I'm curious if the executive branch would get limited in power any other way.

What about a anti-draft amendment? There's potentially enough civilian support, but I doubt the politicians would go along with it.
How about one saying that conscription can be introduced only by two-thirds vote of both houses, which vote must be renewed annually?
Likelier would be a requirement that a draft could only be initiated and undertaken for the duration of a congressionally declared war.

I like the idea of an amendment setting the size of a congressional district at roughly the population of the least populous state.

An amendment limiting the POTUS to a single, 6-year term in the naive hope we wouldn’t get any more LBJ’s(yes, he was THAT unpopular in 1969)but better people who, not having to run for re-election, would
only do what was right.....

There was a whole incentive for healthcare around the 1960s and 1970s. I wonder if there would be a method to install healthcare (a la Second Bill of Rights) into the mix