Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Jerusalem

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Land of Hope and Glory

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Rule Britannia

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters
As much as I love God Save the Queen, I do think that us Limeys have a couple songs that I find somewhat more inspiring so I wanted to test the waters, which songs to people think would best represent the United Kingdom?

Also: With a constitution change in a 19th Century TL of mine (that might or might not every come out) I'm going to change the anthem but I have a few songs in mind.

Oh I should say, most of these were written post POD but I've always thought that butterflies should have some logical limits, so they may change a bit but not much.

Also: I have a personal bias for I Vow to Thee as it never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

I'd keep GSTQ as the British anthem as the monarchy is one of the symbols that unites the four home countries. Moreover changing the anthem would require the consent of the monarch and the government, who is unlikely to agree to anything which reduces the monarchy's symbolic image at the heart of the nation - even in the mid 20th century, Elizabeth II fought and won against Tony Benn's plan to undermine the monarchy by removing the monarch's head from the stamp.

England should have a different anthem though and that might be easier to achieve. I quite like "I Vow To Thee My Country".

Fast forward to 21st century, one of the problems with changing the anthem at this stage is there will always be critics, especially on the political left of the fact that all of the alternative anthems are basically religious themed hymns.