Alternative River Plate/Alternate Operation Rheinübung

We all know what happened at the Battle of the River Plate, where Harwood's three cruisers effectively battered the pocket battleship Graf Spee into a state where her Captain felt she was unable to sustain another action.

What would have happened if in late August Gneisenau, with her new 'Atlantic Bow', was dispatched instead, duly running into Harwood's force, consisting of the there OTL cruisers or even the four cruisers, with the Cumberland being present?

Secondly, it has ever been a source of mystery to me why the Germans never completed Prinz Eugen sister ship Seydlitz. She should have been completed about the same time as her sister and would have been worked up by May 1941. Would things have gone any different with a second heavy cruiser? My personal thoughts are no, but interested t get the thoughts of others.

Last edited:
WE all know what happened at the Battle of the River Plate, where Harwood's three cruisers effectively battered the pocket battleship Graf Spee into a state where her Captain felt she was unable to sustain another action.

What would have happened if in late August Gneisenau, with her new 'Atlantic Bow', was dispatched instead, duly running into Harwood's force, consisting of the there OTL cruisers or even the four cruisers, with the Cumberland being present?
Harwood stays out of range and shadows the German battlecruiser until Renown and Ark Royal and possibly other reinforcements arrive to deal with the German raider. Same end result of a the raider being lost or interned except this time carrier strike ways batter a her fair bit before the Renown and the accompanying cruisers close in for the kill.

Last edited:
Considering she barely has a third of the unrefueled range of the Graf Spee, I don't think it's likely that they'd operate in the South Atlantic.

Considering she barely has a third of the unrefueled range of the Graf Spee, I don't think it's likely that they'd operate in the South Atlantic.

Not really. In 1939 the Germans had made refuelling arrangements for raiders and had ships in place. I agree, it's less desirable, but quite possible.

Not really. In 1939 the Germans had made refuelling arrangements for raiders and had ships in place. I agree, it's less desirable, but quite possible.
Of course if Harwood shadows the Gneisenau (as fighting her under most circumstances is sucide with just cruisers)she can't refuel unless in a port due the risk of him attacking with torpedoes while she can't maneuver.... so Gneisenau have fun either being interned/blockaded or running out of fuel and being forced to scuttle