Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you get 10 shots off in a matter of 5-6 seconds and they all hit the same general area?
Outside of point blank "they are about to run us over" range, same general area is going to be spread out over multiple square meters. Unless you get absurdly lucky and one of the rounds hits basically on top of another, you just have a bunch of non penetrations

Ramontxo

Donor
Even if you get 10 shots off in a matter of 5-6 seconds and they all hit the same general area?
According to Navweap the 40mm/70 calibers Bofors could penetrate 135 mm at a thousand meters.* This more than enough to let you kill anything except front armour of MBTs. An for that you need an 105mm L7 or more...

1,100 yards (1,000 m)3.93 in (10 cm)
The figure above is the "official" rating, but test firings have shown that this round can penetrate armor up to 5.3 inches (13.5 cm) at 1,100 yards (1,000

Also could you fit twin bofors 40mm autocannons in either a Stug III or Hetzer hull (let's say Germany, and if so, would there be any benefits to such a design?
The germans built the Flakpanzer IV "Ostwind",with the chassis of the Panzer IV, also used for the Stug IV. It had one 37mm, and it looks okish.
maxresdefault.jpg

But the US did create a twin 40mm, the M19, and the hull dimensions aren't very diferent... so I'd say yes?

M19_GMC.JPG

The germans built the Flakpanzer IV "Ostwind",with the chassis of the Panzer IV, also used for the Stug IV. It had one 37mm, and it looks okish.
maxresdefault.jpg

But the US did create a twin 40mm, the M19, and the hull dimensions aren't very diferent... so I'd say yes?

M19_GMC.JPG
I meant keeping with the casement design instead of having a turret

I was thinking infantry support.
It has no advantages over even the low velocity L24 gun in the OTL STUG in that role and a major disadvantage. You need a whole burst to put as much HE on target as a 75mm shell, which is about the minimum for killing MG nests reliably, so no savings there, and you lose the ability of the HEAT shell to kill most tanks at reasonable ranges. The only role a Bofors would be better in is rapidly killing softskin vehicles with a single shot, but a casemate mount isn't suitable for that and that role isn't really needed

Yeah. Light rapid fire guns are only good against infantry in the open, soft vehicles or very weak cover; for more you need high caliber HE. Bring on the ISU-122 or -152!

Yes, but imho it's still a better ground-based mobile AA gun than the 25mm, specially if one uses the belt-fed model, since usually terrain masking (hills, forests, etc) lower the maximum detection range anyway.

Just a follow-up - As those guns were designed for short bursts from aircraft do you think you would need to modify to assist with cooling?

It may not be overweight but its crew is not long for this world with so little protection.
The Marder series of TD's didn't have a lot of protection either but at least the alt-Skorp would have a low silhouette.

The germans didn't have time to design new tank chassis, hence making do with the Panther and PzIV. They tried with the E series, but by then it was far too late.
My Alt-Skorp would be from an alt-timeline where the Pz.III/IV went into production and I'm sure the Germans would have made TD's out of it maybe not what I did but then again maybe they would, the 8.8 was a powerful anti-tank gun and if the Germans could mount one on the Pz.III/IV I think they would've done it.

My Alt-Skorp would be from an alt-timeline where the Pz.III/IV went into production and I'm sure the Germans would have made TD's out of it maybe not what I did but then again maybe they would, the 8.8 was a powerful anti-tank gun and if the Germans could mount one on the Pz.III/IV I think they would've done it.
I think the Nashorn would be an overall better solution because a lightly armored AT gun would be expected to fight at long ranges, which would make the turret less necessary, while the Nashorn's superstructure would provide better protection from light weapons at close range.

I think the Nashorn would be an overall better solution because a lightly armored AT gun would be expected to fight at long ranges, which would make the turret less necessary, while the Nashorn's superstructure would provide better protection from light weapons at close range.
The Germans made both the Nashorn and the Jagdpanzer IV as well as a sleuth of other variants from the Pz.IV the under rated medium tank design of WWII IMO.
I think the Pz. III/IV would have had several variants as well and I plan on more.

Which is why I didn't make a Marder.
This is basically a Matter, just more expensive and with a lower silhouette. The lack of protection for the crew from any angle but the front is going to considerably raise crew mortality. I don't see the merits in investing so many resources into a vehicle that has completely inadequate protection for the crew.

This is basically a Matter, just more expensive and with a lower silhouette. The lack of protection for the crew from any angle but the front is going to considerably raise crew mortality. I don't see the merits in investing so many resources into a vehicle that has completely inadequate protection for the crew.
And I think the advantage of a lower silhouette and a rotating turret make up for it, IOTL the Germans designed this-
R.61018387e6d6725513aec18e0a3ab595
The Gerat 5-1213, it was armed with the 12.8 cm Kanone 43. My design is similar so I think it's a plausible design.

And I think the advantage of a lower silhouette and a rotating turret make up for it, IOTL the Germans designed this-
R.61018387e6d6725513aec18e0a3ab595
The Gerat 5-1213, it was armed with the 12.8 cm Kanone 43. My design is similar so I think it's a plausible design.
The silhouette height difference is measured in centimeters. It's not worth the costs.

Alternate Courland Pocket AFV's
Courland Pocket Skorpion+.png

A field modified Pz.III/IV for an alternate "Courland Pocket".

Flakpanzer V
Flakpanther  VK.3002.png

VK3002DB V ausf. E with 2cm flak gun.

P26 SPAAG
P26.40 bis Breda 37-54.png

In this alternate timeline an Italian armoured division was also trapped in the Courland pocket and one of their P26's was modified in the field with a Breda 37mm AA gun.

Alternate AFV's in an alternate Courland pocket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.