Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Claymore https://www.rbth.com/history/334457-soviet-tank-crews-hitler what alternate tank would be good for capturing/killing Hitler in this scenario?
It seems fuel shortage was a problem, so how about a T34 fuel tank tank? A T34 with fixed turret, dummy gun and 2 crew ( driver and commander). Ammo space etc is replaced by fuel storage, and the fuel hoses are accessed via steel doors in the turret rear.
Also, equip everything in the unit (including the fuel tank tank) with external fuel tanks (not sure if this is earlier than OTL). Maybe one fuel tank tank per company might add a day or two extra fuel per tank.
Best try to pick a non-smoking crew.

Last edited:
It seems fuel shortage was a problem, so how about a T34 fuel tank tank? A T34 with fixed turret, dummy gun and 2 crew ( driver and commander). Ammo space etc is replaced by fuel storage, and the fuel hoses are accessed via steel doors in the turret rear.
Also, equip everything in the unit (including the fuel tank tank) with external fuel tanks (not sure if this is earlier than OTL). Maybe one fuel tank tank per company might add a day or two extra fuel per tank.
Best try to pick a non-smoking crew.
Even that wouldn't work much, I think. They'd still have to stop to refuel, which would take time.

@Riain This bit of history might be interesting to you. In 1964 France and the UK decided to work on a common medium recon vehicle based on the ERAC and GSOR 1010 and then 3301 programs. They mostly agreed on a 8 tonne vehicle with missile armament for AT and a autocannon and 76mm gun versions for fire support.

Even that wouldn't work much, I think. They'd still have to stop to refuel, which would take time.
Agree, what they really needed was to know that Hitler was within reach, had the Soviet tank crews had had this information they would've pushed their effen tanks to the airfield!
It was information not a different tank that was needed here.

Agree, what they really needed was to know that Hitler was within reach, had the Soviet tank crews had had this information they would've pushed their effen tanks to the airfield!
It was information not a different tank that was needed here.
True. But with a bit more fuel they might have gone looking for airfields and other interesting places to explore.

Author's note: I always thought that Germany missed opportunities with early war programs, so this scenario is very practical to let them shine.
That's because almost everything about Germany's pre- and early-war armored vehicle designs was bad.

Riain

Banned
@Riain This bit of history might be interesting to you. In 1964 France and the UK decided to work on a common medium recon vehicle based on the ERAC and GSOR 1010 and then 3301 programs. They mostly agreed on a 8 tonne vehicle with missile armament for AT and a autocannon and 76mm gun versions for fire support.

Given the success of the Alvis FV101 family is that a solution looking for a problem?

Right now playing a bit about the idea of a 1948 neutral/united German Air Force building improved Me-262 HG III's with proper resources. (Using the CDU proposed Wirmer flag). Based on how the OTL Luftwaffe F-86 Sabres looked like.
West German Me-262 HG III.png

AbramsVickers1988.png

I like this paper lol. But to be fair I agree with the frustration, the British govt was supposed to make a decision in 1989 already, if not earlier.

AbramsVickers1988.png

I like this paper lol. But to be fair I agree with the frustration, the British govt was supposed to make a decision in 1989 already, if not earlier.
Are there any armies anywhere in the world that can challenge the British Army in terms of having defense procurement so screwed up for so long? They can blame Iraq and Afghanistan, but it goes back way beyond that.

Are there any armies anywhere in the world that can challenge the British Army in terms of having defense procurement so screwed up for so long? They can blame Iraq and Afghanistan, but it goes back way beyond that.
Dunno, I'd say India in terms of the number of failed/delayed programs relative to number of total programs, but they still made less mistakes for the actual pieces of kit sometimes. Anyone worse in actual equipment tend to have excuses like embargoes or a shit economy and industry, but the UK might be the worst in terms of dropping the ball as an industrialized country. Even accounting for the state of their economy the British could have done much better with existing resources if not for insane procurement and insane weapon developpers and producers.

Status
Not open for further replies.