Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
An almost related pic and a request for another thread.
A,.png

Also... what might a 'Short' 6X6 version of the Sd.Kfz hull possibly look like?
The Mammut is an SdKfz 251 body on an SdKfz 234 chassis. Both are roughly 19 feet long. The SdKfz 250 light half-track was commonly used by German armored reconnaissance units and was 15 feet long. A 6x6 version of the Mammut would look a lot like the front 3/4 of the 8x8 Mammut, although the hood on the SdKfz 250 may be slightly shorter than the hood on the SdKfz 251.

I did a couple of wheeled versions of the Sd.Kfz. in the past and I believe Claymore has as well but here's two I did a long time ago, I think I originally posted them in the first version of this thread.
View attachment 690154
I have to admit it's not a great pic, I'm sure I could do much better and I have better line drawings too.
See the BTR-152... ;)

I did a couple of wheeled versions of the Sd.Kfz. in the past and I believe Claymore has as well but here's two I did a long time ago, I think I originally posted them in the first version of this thread.
View attachment 690154
I have to admit it's not a great pic, I'm sure I could do much better and I have better line drawings too.

I was more thinking of your 8X8 'Puma' version. :3

Still, nice images to paste around with.

Cheers.

Hullo. (^_^)

Just a request/question?

Might the amazing Claymore or other artists revisit Claymore's Sd.Kfz. 234/5 Mammut (Mammoth) and investigate putting a 'Top' on the beasty?

Sort of a 'Hummvee' crew cab with cargo carrying in the back?

Cheers and much best wishes to every one. (^_^)

The Mammut is an SdKfz 251 body on an SdKfz 234 chassis. Both are roughly 19 feet long. The SdKfz 250 light half-track was commonly used by German armored reconnaissance units and was 15 feet long. A 6x6 version of the Mammut would look a lot like the front 3/4 of the 8x8 Mammut, although the hood on the SdKfz 250 may be slightly shorter than the hood on the SdKfz 251.

As @Not James Stockdale says the Mammut is based on a modified SdKfz 234 chassis with the engine at the front and a stretched SdKfz 251 hull. As such, a short 6x6 version mounting a SdKfz 250 hull would not be a straight forward proposition as no such 6x6 version of the SdKfz 234 existed.

Having said that, I will break out the blow torches and give it a go. I will also do a covered version of the Mammut for you while I am at it. Watch this space… 😋

Last edited:
Hullo. (^_^)

Just a request/question?

Might the amazing Claymore or other artists revisit Claymore's Sd.Kfz. 234/5 Mammut (Mammoth) and investigate putting a 'Top' on the beasty?

Sort of a 'Hummvee' crew cab with cargo carrying in the back?

Cheers and much best wishes to every one. (^_^)

As @Not James Stockdale says the Mammut is based on a modified SdKfz 234 chassis with the engine at the front and a stretched SdKfz 251 hull. As such, a short 6x6 version mounting a SdKfz 250 hull would not be a straight forward proposition as no such 6x6 version of the SdKfz 234 existed.

Having said that, I will break out the blow torches and give it a go. I will also do a covered version of the Mammut for you while I am at it. Watch this space… 😋

Here ya go. Make of them what you will...

Mastodon.png

Mammut - covered.png

Here ya go. Make of them what you will...

View attachment 690828

View attachment 690829

At work.

Actually I'm inspired to use the images as visual aids in an old school RPG known as "Traveller".

New rules for Mercenary companies and these beauties will help the Company logistics a treat.

Very much sincere thanks and best wishes.

EDIT: Actually, is there or has there ever been the line drawings of a Hummer to the same scale as the Mammut/Puma?

At work.

Actually I'm inspired to use the images as visual aids in an old school RPG known as "Traveller".

New rules for Mercenary companies and these beauties will help the Company logistics a treat.

Very much sincere thanks and best wishes.

EDIT: Actually, is there or has there ever been the line drawings of a Hummer to the same scale as the Mammut/Puma?

Cool beans!

i currently don’t have an image of a Hummer to scale but I will have a look see…

One of the vehicle families I'm using in my Manticore AU is called the Utility 15-ton platform. The name is pretty self-explanatory. It is a fully tracked and fully armored 15 ton armored vehicle similar in size to an M18 Hellcat hull. Variance include an armored personnel carrier, light tank, reconnaissance vehicle, etc. The family also includes two types of mortar carriers, one with an 81 mm infantry mortar and one with a 120 mm heavy mortar. The light variant is used in battalion weapons companies and the heavy variant is used in divisional mortar battalions. My initial thinking for introducing two variants was that these mortars were already in use in their respective organizations, and that the vehicle platform might be too small to accommodate a 120 mm motor without requiring close logistics support that could only be provided in a separate battalion.

Does anybody have any ideas as to which size mortar would be appropriate considering the size of the vehicle? The M113 mortar carriers could carry a 120 mm mortar at 15 tons, but they were aluminum vehicles. The LAV-M mortar carrier carries an 81 mm mortar at 15 tons, but the 20 ton Stryker carries a 120 mm mortar. The M3 half-track, at 10 tons, had a reasonable looking 81 mm mortar carrying variant and was tested with a 107 mm mortar, but that larger variant was rejected. However, the Israelis converted some of their M3 half tracks to carry 120 mm mortars.

One of the vehicle families I'm using in my Manticore AU is called the Utility 15-ton platform. The name is pretty self-explanatory. It is a fully tracked and fully armored 15 ton armored vehicle similar in size to an M18 Hellcat hull. Variance include an armored personnel carrier, light tank, reconnaissance vehicle, etc. The family also includes two types of mortar carriers, one with an 81 mm infantry mortar and one with a 120 mm heavy mortar. The light variant is used in battalion weapons companies and the heavy variant is used in divisional mortar battalions. My initial thinking for introducing two variants was that these mortars were already in use in their respective organizations, and that the vehicle platform might be too small to accommodate a 120 mm motor without requiring close logistics support that could only be provided in a separate battalion.

Does anybody have any ideas as to which size mortar would be appropriate considering the size of the vehicle? The M113 mortar carriers could carry a 120 mm mortar at 15 tons, but they were aluminum vehicles. The LAV-M mortar carrier carries an 81 mm mortar at 15 tons, but the 20 ton Stryker carries a 120 mm mortar. The M3 half-track, at 10 tons, had a reasonable looking 81 mm mortar carrying variant and was tested with a 107 mm mortar, but that larger variant was rejected. However, the Israelis converted some of their M3 half tracks to carry 120 mm mortars.
120mm or 155mm for the memes.

could go for the french rifled mortar
make it towed instead of under armour, and the weight becomes far less of an issue

Last edited:
could go for the french rifled mortar
make it towed instead of under armour, and the weight becomes far less of an issue
Because WWII heavy mortars really only have about 5 km of range, they will need to stay close to the mechanized units. The requirement to be under armor is especially pertinent for the battalion mortars, which may be assigned to company and platoon teams, especially in cavalry units. I am wondering if those mortar carriers could handle a 120 mm Krh/40 or if they would need the smaller 81 mm mortar.

Because WWII heavy mortars really only have about 5 km of range, they will need to stay close to the mechanized units. The requirement to be under armor is especially pertinent for the battalion mortars, which may be assigned to company and platoon teams, especially in cavalry units. I am wondering if those mortar carriers could handle a 120 mm Krh/40 or if they would need the smaller 81 mm mortar.
The Large mortars in WW2 - such as the 4.2" were known as 'Chemical Mortars' - my understanding being that they would be the units making smoke screens supporting attacks and had Pandora's box been opened more than it had been - Chemical weapons.

They were not intended to primarily deliver HE as such although I suspect that they ended up doing just that

apart from the finnish model there is also the russian, german and french models (which are related) for ww2

i did a quick calculation and the M1938 120mm has 1.4x the muzzle energy of the 107mm/4.2' mortar, so i am guessing the tracked carriers (such as the M3A1 halftrack) that could handle the 107mm, can also handle the 120mm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.