Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My intention right now is to produce these vehicles during the 1921, 1922, 1923, and 1924 production years using the guns (modified FK 96 n.A.) from the Whippet assault guns. At some point, the Ground Forces will realize that turrets are better and will want to switch from a hull-mounted gun to a turret-mounted gun. The OTL US Medium M1921 carried a QF 6-pdr 6 cwt Hotchkiss tank gun in a 2-man turret. However, I feel a certain animosity towards that gun and want something with a 3-inch bore for better HE. Later in its life, the M1921 carried a prototype of the US 75 mm pack howitzer. I don't think the FK 96 n.A. could fit in that turret, so the pack howitzer will have to do.

The next tranche of production will begin in 1926. The A1E1 Independent draws my attention simply because it looks like it might be large enough for a turret carrying a 3-inch field gun. However, I don't think I could afford more than a few, which would probably end up concentrated in corps heavy tank battalions. What I really need are SPGs to replace the Whippet-based SP artillery, which would be a good timeframe and role fit for the Mark II Birch gun's stretched hull. As far as gun options, I can either stick with the FK 96 or go for the complementary 10.5 cm FH 98 howitzer. I have enough to pursue either track.
I have finished M1921 production and have finalized the plan for assault guns moving forward. The 75 mm M116 light howitzer existed in a basically finalized form since 1927 (the current year, as of now) and will be selected at some point in the 1930s to rearm the M1921s.

I have decided to drop A1E1 Independent. It is too big and could not be procured in sufficient quantities.

It has come to my attention that the lengthened chassis of the Vickers Medium Mk II used for the Birch gun was very similar in size (slightly larger) than the Chi-Ha chassis. Later variants of the Chi-Ha (ShinHoTo Chi-Ha and the Chi-Nu) carried large guns, 47 mm AT gun and 3-inch L/40 field guns, in 3-man turrets. My estimate based on Wargaming's 3D model of the Birch gun is that the ring race diameter was at least 1,800 mm, similar in size to the Tiger and T-55. Using the chassis as a tank will require some alterations, such as a raised superstructure above the level of the tracks, but I think the width is there to support a 3-inch L/27 field gun in an armored turret.

The Vickers Medium Mk I and II hull had the driver front right, engine front left, and transmission at the rear. I intend to reverse the running direction of the vehicle, put the driver and co-driver in the front with the transmission, and utilize the space at the rear of the tank for a somewhat larger engine compartment with a 200+ hp engine. The size of the turret ring will probably be so large that the only solution for hull crew hatches will be in the front glacis, but this vehicle will have less than an inch of armor so that won't be a problem.

The SP artillery variant will use an approach similar to the M44 and M53/M55, with the engine front and the driver in an elevated position within the superstructure. This concept would be carried over from the Whippet SP artillery, which had the same powertrain arrangement. The gun will be an 18-pdr on a flex mount and the superstructure will have an open top.

The Vickers Medium Mk I and II hull had the driver front right, engine front left, and transmission at the rear. I intend to reverse the running direction of the vehicle, put the driver and co-driver in the front with the transmission, and utilize the space at the rear of the tank for a somewhat larger engine compartment with a 200+ hp engine. The size of the turret ring will probably be so large that the only solution for hull crew hatches will be in the front glacis, but this vehicle will have less than an inch of armor so that won't be a problem.
I write this and am immediately reminded of the Vickers Mark D (https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/Ireland/vickers-medium-mk-d/) while trying to find out whether the Vickers Mark II ever had a recovery/maintenance variant (I suspect not). The Mark D carried a medium-velocity 6-pdr in a turret with hull crew of 2 and turret crew of 3 and engine and transmission at the rear. I think a combination of the longer hull of the Birch gun and the use of sponsons for the turret ring could allow a large enough turret for my 3-inch light field guns.

Tank based recovery/maintenance vehicles were pretty much a development of OTL's U.S. Army during WWII. Tracks are expensive.

And the germans have plenty also during WW2.
Example.: Bergepanther
220px-Bergepanther_mg_7814.jpg

M9 GMC "Sheridan" Update:

...and so it begins... rivet hell... :'(

I have found a way to manufacture individual rivets that are pretty much the right size for the M9 and can be produced, more or less, to a standard size. But this involves pressing a rounded pin into a 0.5mm styrene sheet, cutting off the resulting ‘bump’ on the other side of the sheet, applying a spot of glue, picking up said micro-bump on the end of my modelling knife and placing it individually! Thirty done so far but many, many more yet to go. If you listen very carefully, you will be able to hear me scream... :winkytongue:

Last edited:

Sooty

Banned

I have found a way to manufacture individual rivets that are pretty much the right size for the M9 and can be produced, more or less, to a standard size. But this involves pressing a rounded pin into a sheet of 0.5mm styrene sheet, cutting off the resulting ‘bump’ on the other side of the sheet, applying a spot of glue, picking up said micro-bump on the end of my modelling knife and placing it individually! Thirty done so far but many, many more yet to go. If you listen very carefully, you will be able to hear me scream... :winkytongue:

Trumpeter Hobby Rivet Maker Tool​

1619834457886.png

I have found a way to manufacture individual rivets that are pretty much the right size for the M9 and can be produced, more or less, to a standard size. But this involves pressing a rounded pin into a sheet of 0.5mm styrene sheet, cutting off the resulting ‘bump’ on the other side of the sheet, applying a spot of glue, picking up said micro-bump on the end of my modelling knife and placing it individually! Thirty done so far but many, many more yet to go. If you listen very carefully, you will be able to hear me scream... :winkytongue:
Eek rivets! I hate drawing them I can't imagine making them.
I can't imagine your sanity surviving this.

What's left of it that is. :p

Trumpeter Hobby Rivet Maker Tool​

View attachment 647043

Same process but at a price...

Edit: This tool is for small scale aircraft models and produces a line of equidistant indents to represent rivets. For the larger 1/35 scale tanks, larger rivets need to be represented and in 3D (bumps rather than holes)...

Last edited:
It's always been unusual. The Alternate Warships of Nations thread has always been in Post-1900, and I thought it would be moved to the Non-Pol Chat to join the Alternate History Armoured Fighting Vehicles thread, the Speculative Armoured Fighting Vehicles thread (basically the ASB version of the armored fighting vehicles thread), and the Alternate History Combat Aircraft thread. Now I don't know what forum all these threads belong in (if anything they belong in the same forum as they're all related, except maybe the Speculative Armoured fighting Vehicles thread which might go in ASB instead of Post-1900.)

Certainly post-1900 is the right one. Straightforward alternate history after all...

I am a revetting god! One hundred and forty nine of the little blighters in place and I am just fine. I know I am as Harvey the giant white rabbit tells me I am, so it must be so. 😏🤪🤪

Back about 10 years ago I recall that there was a conversion of an sdkfz234 into an APC. any ideas about how to do it?

Well I think that is pretty much the construction completed (just a little bit to do gluing the barrel in and straightening the HMG) and it will be time for a spray job of undercoat. No doubt the undercoat will reveal the odd hole still needing filling. So here's where we are...

Early 8.jpg

Early 9.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.